hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Lost_Mackem's Avatar
    Really pleased for Chelsea, English football has taken a bit of a hammering from certain sections of the media for a couple of years. So for Chelsea who are currently outside the top four in the league table to beat probably Europe's best side is really something.

Also seen some people criticising the style of play, this never fails to amuse me, Chelsea had to play 2/3 of the game with ten men against the best passing side in the world. But of course they should have attacked more, maybe they would have if they could have actually got hold of the ball.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I know I'm in the absolute minorty here, but I prefer a battling defensive display over a slick attacking display, superb stuff from Chelsea, they are a team I love to hate but fair play to them, they deserved that after going down to 10 men and Cahil going off injured early doors. If Di Matteo doesn't get the gig then the worlds gone funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we can all agree on the last part.

Fingers crossed.
    Yes, however how can you not think it was a great effort from Chelsea?

Im watching a dodgy stream of the game from Aisa and John Burridge is in the studio

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Yes, however how can you not think it was a great effort from Chelsea?
    It was a fantastic defensive display no doubt.

Unfortunately some won't see that and will criticise it for being anti football or some other nonsense without giving any alternative options of how they should have played with 10 men.

Hence my saying we can ALL agree with the last part.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    There whole thing is too work the ball into scoring positions shooting from 25-30yards 97% of the time you give possession to the opponent, very frustrating when it doesn't come off but brilliant when it does.

Chelsea done well keeping a line on 18yards giving no room for balls slipped into spaces behind the defence even when they managed to clear it the stayed deep and barca had no idea how to break them Down
    They didn't need to ping balls from 25-30 yards. But they could have been more adventurous, instead of following the same pattern of play over and over and over again.

They done the same thing every time. Quite drab to watch really.

Blog Entries
    Sticking the ball in the onion bag...thats the aim of the game.....

If the win playing backs to the wall with ten men in the cup final...obviously that won't be enough

@hibs.net private member BurghHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Mackem View Post
    Really pleased for Chelsea, English football has taken a bit of a hammering from certain sections of the media for a couple of years. So for Chelsea who are currently outside the top four in the league table to beat probably Europe's best side is really something.

Also seen some people criticising the style of play, this never fails to amuse me, Chelsea had to play 2/3 of the game with ten men against the best passing side in the world. But of course they should have attacked more, maybe they would have if they could have actually got hold of the ball.
    What's the excuse for the first leg when they were at home?
    I would have hated to have paid good money to go and watch that, I like to see two teams playing football, not one being totaly negative.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurghHibby View Post
    What's the excuse for the first leg when they were at home?
    I would have hated to have paid good money to go and watch that, I like to see two teams playing football, not one being totaly negative.
    Yeah, but if you were a Chelsea fan then surely you'd want them in the final at any cost.

Will you be complaining if Hibs lift the Holy Grail after being 'totally negative'?

Stay on your feet and stay calm and you can win any game-especially Cup Finals.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Really gutsy back to the wall display that would have had me screaming with joy if it had been Hibs, but as a neutral
    it's pash to watch that sort of football - I would much rather the attacking flair team won.

First Team Regular
    I was disapointed with barca's play at stages, with tello and alexis up front near the end, both lightening quick players, a well placed over the top pass could have created an amazing scoring opportunity.

but barca stuck to their style

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Will you be complaining if Hibs lift the Holy Grail after being 'totally negative'?
    I know some "fans" that don't even want us to lift the cup, because they don't think the players deserve it.

How people draw up such conclusions is beyond me.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    I know I'm in the absolute minorty here, but I prefer a battling defensive display over a slick attacking display, superb stuff from Chelsea, they are a team I love to hate but fair play to them, they deserved that after going down to 10 men and Cahil going off injured early doors. If Di Matteo doesn't get the gig then the worlds gone funny.
    I think the point is that it wasn't a slick attacking display by Barca.

@hibs.net private member BurghHibby's Avatar
    Yeah, but if you were a Chelsea fan then surely you'd want them in the final at any cost.

QUOTE=Malthibby;3195812]Really gutsy back to the wall display that would have had me screaming with joy if it had been Hibs, but as a neutral
    it's pash to watch that sort of football - I would much rather the attacking flair team won.[/QUOTE]

This

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    The point is that Chelsea weren't playing to entertain you, they were trying to get to the European Cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I think the point is that it wasn't a slick attacking display by Barca.

Barca really didn't look THAT good. Far from looking like one of the best teams in the world tonight.

A top team should be diverse and able to change their game plan when the original isn't working out. Barcelona seem to lack this.

Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post
    So it's a £10 treble on Birmingham, bayern and hibs on the 19th may.
    Amir Khan is boxing that night too.

Thought it was great to watch, it's great that cup football throws up games like this. Yes Barca should have won and Chelsea rode their luck but that's what makes football such a great game.

Pundits were saying Barca were unbeatable and didn't give Chelsea a sniff. Yet Barca are suspect at the back and footballs not just about possession and attack.

I think it might be that being a Scotland supporting Hibby I'm used to being the underdog.

Blog Entries
    Watched the game in a bar here in Barcelona. Locals not too happy except for the odd Espanyol supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Watched the game in a bar here in Barcelona. Locals not too happy except for the odd Espanyol supporter.
    why were you not at the game? tickets were cheap i heard!!! skinflint

Your hearts got to go out to AVB though .

Disappointed in Barca. Delighted for Torres though, hopefully it mean we see the world class striker that is hiding in there somewhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post

Barca really didn't look THAT good. Far from looking like one of the best teams in the world tonight.

A top team should be diverse and able to change their game plan when the original isn't working out. Barcelona seem to lack this.
    Barca's form has dipped dramatically in the last few weeks. Chelsea deserved to win but if you heard JT's explanation of events re the red card it would serve to highlight what a lying bar steward he is
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I can't recall ever seeing a better defensive performance than Chelsea's after John terry was sent off. If you'd given me odds of 1000/1 on Chelsea at that point, I wouldn't have taken the bet. Superb concentration and positional play. Barca didn't create many gilt edged chances.

I'm not a Chelsea fans by any means, but hats off to them. In the second half I was rooting for them as massive underdogs. Messi on his knees when Torres scored was strangely satisfying.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Mackem View Post

Anti football.

The same anti football as the huns in 2008. Chelsea got lucky, it happens.

Reaction from Madrid

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Reaction from Madrid

This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    That's fantastic, meeko
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Reaction from Madrid

I'd love to put that on my Facebook.

Is that possible?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!