hibs.net Messageboard

Cup Final syndrome...

The 2nd half was a joke yesterday. Do the players give a toss or are they keeping themselves for the final?!

We're far from safe yet the performance when it really mattered was dire. I am still concerned about going down!

Is it just me?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Spot on. Yesterday was a bad one for us. Even a draw would have seen us safe. We could be bottom of the league by the time we play Dunfermline . If they come to ER and beat us I think we could be pretty screwed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spot on. Yesterday was a bad one for us. Even a draw would have seen us safe. We could be bottom of the league by the time we play Dunfermline . If they come to ER and beat us I think we could be pretty screwed.
    I must have watched a different match from everyone else I thought we looked solid bar a 10 minute spell in the first half. I can't remember Brown having to make a save we had about 15 corners, they made some great last gasp tackles and there keeper made a few decent saves. Strikers failed on us yesterday but, hey they've dragged us through the entire season with there goals up until now.

Pars have won once in 25 or so games what is going to change over the next 4 to make everyone think they're now going to wipe the floor with every team they play. I totally agree we need to pick up points but we are away from home sunday and up aberdeen we play much better away from home. nothing changed over the weekend from a Hibs point of view Pars still need to two wins and a draw from their last four games one against us, not going to happen in my opinion.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    We played better yesterday in defeat than in the wins against Inverness and Aberdeen IMO. We actually controlled the game and did not come under any sustained pressure for the whole 90 minutes. A silly mistake from Claros and a bit of wasteful finishing from Griffiths was the difference.

Kilmarnock are the strongest team in the bottom six so that's them out of the way. We also get more points away from home so it's good that we have a 3/1 ratio for the last four games.

I'm confident that we'll get a result next week. We've already gone to St Mirren and won this season

If we don't pick up any points in the next 2 games and they beat Aberdeen at the weekend they will go into the game against us knowing a win would pull them level. Factor in they also got a game at Inverness which I've not counted as doubt they will pick up any points up there. Their run in seem a lot easier than ours (even though we play the same teams ).

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    We played better yesterday in defeat than in the wins against Inverness and Aberdeen IMO. We actually controlled the game and did not come under any sustained pressure for the whole 90 minutes. A silly mistake from Claros and a bit of wasteful finishing from Griffiths was the difference.

Kilmarnock are the strongest team in the bottom six so that's them out of the way. We also get more points away from home so it's good that we have a 3/1 ratio for the last four games.

I'm confident that we'll get a result next week. We've already gone to St Mirren and won this season

Glad your hear thought I imagined the game I saw yesterday.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    If we don't pick up any points in the next 2 games and they beat Aberdeen at the weekend they will go into the game against us knowing a win would pull them level. Factor in they also got a game at Inverness which I've not counted as doubt they will pick up any points up there. Their run in seem a lot easier than ours (even though we play the same teams ).

Relax we will win at Love Street.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Speak for yourselfs. I for one am crapping it. People seem to think we played ok yesterday. Did we? I thought especially in the 2nd half that we looked letheragic and devoid of ideas. Yes Killie never threatened us, but we hardly gave them cause for concern.

I hope to god that Pat Fenlons team talk is nothing like the delusions on here. "It's ok boys, Dumfy need 7 points from 3 games lol. Like that's gonna happen". Let's see how relaxed we are if Dumfermline win against Aberdeen on Saturday. The pressure is very much still on us.

Sure we are by far in the better of positions. But for all the talk of the 4-4 game, they did come back from 4-2 and probably should have won it. I can't see St Mirren beating us, but I can see Dunfy get a draw at the very least. If the support have this attitude of relax we have the final then we may well be playing division 1 next year.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    Speak for yourselfs. I for one am crapping it. People seem to think we played ok yesterday. Did we? I thought especially in the 2nd half that we looked letheragic and devoid of ideas. Yes Killie never threatened us, but we hardly gave them cause for concern.

I hope to god that Pat Fenlons team talk is nothing like the delusions on here. "It's ok boys, Dumfy need 7 points from 3 games lol. Like that's gonna happen". Let's see how relaxed we are if Dumfermline win against Aberdeen on Saturday. The pressure is very much still on us.

Sure we are by far in the better of positions. But for all the talk of the 4-4 game, they did come back from 4-2 and probably should have won it. I can't see St Mirren beating us, but I can see Dunfy get a draw at the very least. If the support have this attitude of relax we have the final then we may well be playing division 1 next year.
    Why are you crapping it?

We may not be very good, but neither are Hearts. Hearts are just as lucky as we are to be in the final.

They scraped a 1-0 win against Auchinleck and St Johnstone and St Mirren both forced replays out of them. They were also extremely lucky against Celtic.

They really aren't that much better than we are at the moment.

The players just need to go out there, calm their nerves and do their jobs properly. Theres no reason why Hibs can't win. The players, the staff and the fans just need to to believe that it can happen.

We'll also have our position in the league wrapped up soon, so quit being a pessimist.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    I'm not crapping it for the final. I'm crapping it for the league. But I guess I am a worrier.

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post

Agree. The performance was decent, the result wasnt.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    I'm not crapping it for the final. I'm crapping it for the league. But I guess I am a worrier.
    Sorry, I only realized that after reading it through properly, which is why I added the last sentence in.

It's a vicious cycle with Hibs.

The fans worry, this affects the players, they perform poorly, the fans worry more, so they perform even worse.... etc.

I think we need to stop worrying so much and just have a bit of faith.

We're currently safe from Dunfermline and we're in a cup final, so at this moment in time, all is good and right now is all i'm thinking about.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    The 2nd half was a joke yesterday. Do the players give a toss or are they keeping themselves for the final?!

We're far from safe yet the performance when it really mattered was dire. I am still concerned about going down!

Is it just me?!
    Probably not just you as there is a large elemant of Hibs supporters who are perenially "glass half empty" in their outlook re all things Hibs - maybe just a reaction to the decades of regular disappointment which tends to go with being a Hibby.

Whatever the reasons, I disagree with your assessment of Saturday's game. I thought Killie looked second best for almost the entire match - certainly moreso than in the recent cup match when they were defeated at ER. We had loads of corners and more than a few useful through balls whereas I can barely recall a Killie attempt at goal save their penalty.

One thing I do agree on is that we're far from safe yet - but we're still a hell of a lot safer than Fat Jum's Dunfermline!

Brings back memories of clinching third under Mowbray. We went into the split 5 points ahead of the Sheep and ended up 2 goals ahead.

Could our hearts take such an ending this season?

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Brings back memories of clinching third under Mowbray. We went into the split 5 points ahead of the Sheep and ended up 2 goals ahead.

Could our hearts take such an ending this season?
    Funny enough I was thinking about that earlier.

Hopefully it doesnt come down to being happy to keep the score down in our last game.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Probably not just you as there is a large elemant of Hibs supporters who are perenially "glass half empty" in their outlook re all things Hibs - maybe just a reaction to the decades of regular disappointment which tends to go with being a Hibby.

Whatever the reasons, I disagree with your assessment of Saturday's game. I thought Killie looked second best for almost the entire match - certainly moreso than in the recent cup match when they were defeated at ER. We had loads of corners and more than a few useful through balls whereas I can barely recall a Killie attempt at goal save their penalty.

One thing I do agree on is that we're far from safe yet - but we're still a hell of a lot safer than Fat Jum's Dunfermline!
    Dunno about my glass being empty. Just calling it as I see it.

We should have been winning at half time. The concern is the lack of urgency that we showed in the 2nd half.