hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Anyone else NOT able to make the Final?

Back in the deepest depths of the Calderwood winter I decided to cheer myself up a bit and book an overland trip in Africa - Victoria Falls to Nairobi - for May time. Managed to negotiate three weeks off work (unusual in itself), camping and overland trucks all the way, great time to be had.

The fact I was due to leave on this trip on 11 May didn't seem to be at all problematic for me. There were times at Central Park where I thought a giant killing was on the cards and likely to end our cup ambitions at the outset. When we drew Kilmarnock in the 5th Round I thought our Cup dream could well be over. Ayr United - well we made sure we'd rid ourselves of that particular Cup monkey.

Yesterday changed all that and today has put us in a position few could possibly have even dreamed of at the turn of the year. This isn't once-in-a-generation - it's once in two-and-a-half lifetimes. Not to be there doesn't seem like an option. But flying back for the weekend half way through the trip costs near enough more than the total value of the trip and flights I've already booked, and even cancelling the whole trip would leave me out of pocket to some degree; I'm travelling solo therefore it's my own decision and nobody else would be affected if I scrap it.

Of course the minute I booked I should have known Hibs were guaranteed a Cup final slot against Hearts A very difficult dilemma and one that is going to cause me a great degree of turmoil over the next few days I think! Anyone got any contacts in any airline servicing Malawi who can arrange "compassionate" fares?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Just cancel the holiday
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I'm in the U.S.However as I've been at all the losing finals from 1958 onwards perhaps it's been my fault and this could be the year.Land at Edinburgh around seven o'clock just in time for the open top bus-it better be covered in green.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in the U.S.However as I've been at all the losing finals from 1958 onwards perhaps it's been my fault and this could be the year.Land at Edinburgh around seven o'clock just in time for the open top bus-it better be covered in green.
    Ahhh, oh Ancient One. You are indeed the jinx. It is written in the stars that, where there is mention of the op*n-t*pp*d b*s, the Hibees shall verily be humped.

I hope you feel satisfied with yourself. I am grateful, however, as it will save me the cost of a ticket.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Back in the deepest depths of the Calderwood winter I decided to cheer myself up a bit and book an overland trip in Africa - Victoria Falls to Nairobi - for May time. Managed to negotiate three weeks off work (unusual in itself), camping and overland trucks all the way, great time to be had.

The fact I was due to leave on this trip on 11 May didn't seem to be at all problematic for me. There were times at Central Park where I thought a giant killing was on the cards and likely to end our cup ambitions at the outset. When we drew Kilmarnock in the 5th Round I thought our Cup dream could well be over. Ayr United - well we made sure we'd rid ourselves of that particular Cup monkey.

Yesterday changed all that and today has put us in a position few could possibly have even dreamed of at the turn of the year. This isn't once-in-a-generation - it's once in two-and-a-half lifetimes. Not to be there doesn't seem like an option. But flying back for the weekend half way through the trip costs near enough more than the total value of the trip and flights I've already booked, and even cancelling the whole trip would leave me out of pocket to some degree; I'm travelling solo therefore it's my own decision and nobody else would be affected if I scrap it.

Of course the minute I booked I should have known Hibs were guaranteed a Cup final slot against Hearts A very difficult dilemma and one that is going to cause me a great degree of turmoil over the next few days I think! Anyone got any contacts in any airline servicing Malawi who can arrange "compassionate" fares?!
    Yep. Three weeks away also booked when it looked very unlikely we would ever win a game again. Cancelling not an option unless I want to wave away about 8k and my family.

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    I live in warsaw and would normally have been over to see the final but. due to the wife giving birth around this time there is no possibility of me making it. so im depending on everyone else getting photos and films so i can enjoy it too.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yep. Three weeks away also booked when it looked very unlikely we would ever win a game again. Cancelling not an option unless I want to wave away about 8k and my family.

***** part-timer.

LTYF

In Egypt for family holiday. Mare but hopefully find a telly somewhere??

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I started a new job late last year which works a kind of 5 week shift cycle and I have no holidays to use this year. There is a long weekend off in each cycle and the semi has just fallen in one and yes the date of the Final is smack bang in the middle of my next long weekend off.

No holidays required, no cover required just falls into place perfectly. Sorry to rub it in guys.

Tis written in the stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    I live in warsaw and would normally have been over to see the final but. due to the wife giving birth around this time there is no possibility of me making it. so im depending on everyone else getting photos and films so i can enjoy it too.
    You're in Warsaw and it seems like the rest of Poland is here!

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Tough choices. But:

If Hibernian defeat Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final on 19th May - ending a 110 year hoodoo - and you are not there to see it you will regret it, literally, for the rest of your lives.

This is the stuff that legends are made of.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Tough choices. But:

If Hibernian defeat Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final on 19th May - ending a 110 year hoodoo - and you are not there to see it you will regret it, literally, for the rest of your lives.

This is the stuff that legends are made of.
    Just made a few calls and I'll lose £800 if I cancel my trip, the opportunity for which doesn't come around that often - but then again I would need some extra annual leave for the Europa League group stages I suppose! Really don't know what to do here and think I'll have to sleep on it and make a decision sometime next week - the only saving grace is that I have Sky Go and the camp site I'll be staying at has wifi for £0.05 per minute!

I was away backpacking in 2004 and agonised over whether to cut short my trip and come home from Australia for the League Cup Final - was relieved I didn't, but then again League Cup Finals come around a lot more frequently than this.
    Last edited by Jamesie; 15-04-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    If I can't get a ticket I'll not be able to make it

ST holder for 11 years and gave it up last year (For monetary reasons) then in true Hibs style they deliver this! A ticket stub type divvy up for the tickets will see me awrite, if no I could be screwed and might book a trip away cos I couldn't handle not being at the game!

Incidentally and actually getting to the point, I'd go on the Holiday if it was already booked!

I'm in Florida for three weeks, home on 25th. My son of 21 is still going and it will be the first time I've not been to Hampden with him. I am absolutely gutted I'm going to miss it but I'll be sitting right next to him in spirit. However, I cant remember the last time I was at a game when Hibs beat Hearts. Although I've got a season ticket I always manage to miss the wins, last one I was in Lanzarote when Fletcher scored!

I've looked at flight prices to fly home for the weekend but my son has pointed out that if I do come home, they will get beat (probably true). So I stay in Florida, watch it on the laptop outside on the patio at the villa with a fridge full of beer. If they win I will be gutted I missed it but if they loose I cant think of a better place to be. I dont think I could stand the tension anyway, I'm already on tabs for blood pressure. Its going to be a horrible time during the build up though. I think I'll get a ticket just in case. Sods law.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Just made a few calls and I'll lose £800 if I cancel my trip, the opportunity for which doesn't come around that often - but then again I would need some extra annual leave for the Europa League group stages I suppose! Really don't know what to do here and think I'll have to sleep on it and make a decision sometime next week - the only saving grace is that I have Sky Go and the camp site I'll be staying at has wifi for £0.05 per minute!

I was away backpacking in 2004 and agonised over whether to cut short my trip and come home from Australia for the League Cup Final - was relieved I didn't, but then again League Cup Finals come around a lot more frequently than this.
    You have to look at the flip side of us winning the cup. If you cancel the trip of a lifetime just to see hibs lose to hearts in the final, well that would push me towards suicide, go on holiday and enjoy it, not many people get a trip like that even once!

I wasn't able to make the semi yesterday, which was bad enough.

There's almost nothing that will prevent me from attending Hampden on the 19th May. Anything I had planned would be getting ditched - holidays, weddings, work...everything!

Bring on the Jambos!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    I'm glad all you regulars and ST holders are away, gives us non ST holders more chance with the public sale

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I wasn't able to make the semi yesterday, which was bad enough.

There's almost nothing that will prevent me from attending Hampden on the 19th May. Anything I had planned would be getting ditched - holidays, weddings, work...everything!

Bring on the Jambos!
    Wow, you had a busy day planned on the 19th!

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    With respect, you can book these trips any time you like providing you have the cash and the holiday time.

You have no choice whatsoever as to how often we face Hearts in a Scottish Cup Final and certainly not one with a 110 year ache at stake.

We all have friends and relatives who lived and died without seeing us win this thing. We may finally do it and against Hearts. This is once in a lifetime stuff.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    With respect, you can book these trips any time you like providing you have the cash and the holiday time.
    You're absolutely right. This time worked for various reasons for me in my job and it wouldn't have been possible for me to book it any later and I wanted to miss as little of the regular season as possible; just a pity I didn't have a bit more belief at the time of booking when it came to the Scottish Cup this year!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    Wow, you had a busy day planned on the 19th!
    And that was just the morning!

You want to see what I had in store for the afternoon!

Also in Florida. Would cost £££ to get back so I'm stuffed. First cup final I've missed since 72. It's a lose lose situation. I'm gutted.

Any Hibby Sports bars around Orlando ?

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    You're in Warsaw and it seems like the rest of Poland is here!
    that doesnt seem strange because where i stay is very quiet

they need someone here to keep the place going

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Also in Florida. Would cost £££ to get back so I'm stuffed. First cup final I've missed since 72. It's a lose lose situation. I'm gutted.

Any Hibby Sports bars around Orlando ?
    We could always share a taxi back

@hibs.net private member
    Its an easy choice. Hibs at Hampden against Hearts wins every time. Holidays are holidays but a cup final win against them is not something that happens very often. Hibs winning the Scottish cup is and has been our holy grail for 110 years. This game is the biggest in the two clubs History.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post

I'm sorry, but that is a pretty pathetic excuse. Get your priorities right!!!!

Maybe if you ask nicely the nice doctors would induce her a couple of weeks early

Anyway, I've re-arranged the flights I had booked for coming over for the semi-final and I'm now booked for the weekend of the 19th. No guarantee of a ticket so I'll be begging everybody I know to get me one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Season Ticket holder so guaranteed a ticket.

Whether I go or not depends on the rugby in 2 weeks time as if Edinburgh beat Ulster in 2 weeks the SC final clashes with the Heineken Cup final. Euro cup final trumps national cup final so i'll need to go to that instead so it's a shame these fall on the same day.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Skygo only works in the uk Jamesie

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puff the dragon View Post

Whether I go or not depends on the rugby in 2 weeks time as if Edinburgh beat Ulster in 2 weeks the SC final clashes with the Heineken Cup final. Euro cup final trumps national cup final so i'll need to go to that instead so it's a shame these fall on the same day.
    Whhhhhhaaaaaaattttttttt?!?!?!?!?!?

Surely a wind up?

J

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: O7 titch 62
    Quote Originally Posted by puff the dragon View Post

Hahahahaha good one