hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope Hearts finish 4th and we qualify for Europe.

On a more serious note, when we win the Cup do we go above any of the league entrants as far as seedings go?
    Cup winners go into the 4th qualifying round. Third and fourth place in the league go into the 3rd and 2nd qualifying rounds respectively.

If the cup runners-up qualify through losing to Celtic, they go into the 2nd qualifying round and the qualifiers from the league each go in a round later.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    Scotland had 5 teams in Europe this year - so if we get in via the cup (as winners hopefully) then that's 4 places in the league. Take rangers out the equation so that's the top 5 (exl rangers) that qualify
    Has not had !!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    It is not unsure at all.

If Hibs win the final they are in the Europa League qualifier, if they lose the final they are not unless the winners are in the Champions' League. Celtic are already in the CL.

If Hearts improbably manage to pull seven points back on Motherwell and get into third place and beat Hibs in the final there is some doubt in this scenario. I suspect that Hearts will not get a European licence for next year due to the non-appearance of audited accounts. Hence the second CL spot will go to the fourth placed team (Motherwell or St Johnstone?).

So Hibs must either win the Cup or lose to Celtic in the Final.
    Surely in this scenario we would still get Europe since hearts couldnt take the Europa League place either?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Scotland had 5 teams in Europe this year - so if we get in via the cup (as winners hopefully) then that's 4 places in the league. Take rangers out the equation so that's the top 5 (exl rangers) that qualify
    Did Hearts get their accounts, with a clean audit report, in on time?

Scotland had 4 places in Europe this season: Rangers (CL), Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United (EL).

Next season this goes up to 5 places 2 (CL) + 3 (EL).

the season after that it will be back to 4 places 1 (CL) + 3 (EL)

First Team Breakthrough

Scottish cup final

does the finalists get into europe?

So am I right in staying that if the league finishes as is and Celtic win tomorrow that'll mean

Celtic and Motherwell in the Champions League (because Rangers aren't eligible)

and St Johnstone, Dundee United and Hibs are in the Europa League?

With the potential complication being that even if Hearts finish higher they might not even be eligible?

Will we have a team ready to play in Europe?

With so many of our players being loan signings and others coming to the end of their contracts along with the fact it would be an early start in Europe. Also it has proved difficult in the past doing transfer business during the close season.

If we do make Europe then management will have to get the finger out and make some of these loan signings permanent asap!

In Rod and Pat we trust!

The BBC seem to think that if Celtic win the cup the Europa League spot goes back into the league....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17288116

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtead Hibs View Post
    The BBC seem to think that if Celtic win the cup the Europa League spot goes back into the league....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17288116
    Jeez, I wish we could ascertain some clarity on this matter....You need to be a lawyer to interpret it all
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Jeez, I wish we could ascertain some clarity on this matter....You need to be a lawyer to interpret it all
    You don't need a lawyer. This is so simple that a five year old could figure it out. People who don't know what they are talking about need to stop posting/writing nonsense.

The only thing that is unclear, as far as we are concerned, is what happens if we lose to Hearts in the final and they become ineligible for Europe.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/defa...2&newsid=10789

Scotland's position in the UEFA rankings at the end of 2010/11 was 15th, meaning that five clubs will qualify for European competitions next season:

~ The 2011/12 champions and runners-up enter the Champions League in the third qualifying round.

~ This season's Scottish Cup winners enter the Europa League in qualifying round four (play-offs).

~ The third-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League third qualifying round.

~ The fourth-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League second qualifying round.

~ If the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the SPL third-placed club enters at QR4, the fourth-placed club enters in QR3 and the cup runners-up enter in QR2.

Europe yeah?

My understanding is that should hertz get beat from the soapies- we're in europe.... is this right?

We get a Europa League spot if that happens.

Only question is which round we enter at - lose the final and we face three ties before the group stages, win it and there's only one.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    I shall take either!

Nice one. Thanks

Not sure if this is true-why were Motherwell not in Europe this past season after losing to to Smelltic in last years final?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Not sure if this is true-why were Motherwell not in Europe this past season after losing to to Smelltic in last years final?

Celtic did not qualify for the champions league it was only the europa cup.

Seriously? It is not that difficult people. Can the mods start merging these threads?

Celtic did not qualify for the Champions League last year.

Here is my slightly rude post from earlier today:
    http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...=1#post3179440

You don't need a lawyer. This is so simple that a five year old could figure it out. People who don't know what they are talking about need to stop posting/writing nonsense.

The only thing that is unclear, as far as we are concerned, is what happens if we lose to Hearts in the final and they become ineligible for Europe.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/defa...2&newsid=10789

Scotland's position in the UEFA rankings at the end of 2010/11 was 15th, meaning that five clubs will qualify for European competitions next season:

~ The 2011/12 champions and runners-up enter the Champions League in the third qualifying round.

~ This season's Scottish Cup winners enter the Europa League in qualifying round four (play-offs).

~ The third-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League third qualifying round.

~ The fourth-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League second qualifying round.

~ If the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the SPL third-placed club enters at QR4, the fourth-placed club enters in QR3 and the cup runners-up enter in QR2.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hibbie View Post
    Excellent news, thanks

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

i think it's because we only had 4 teams in this season's Euro games,

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hibbie View Post
    Excellent news, thanks
    Thats not news!!! That was nearly a year ago FFS!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Even 1 trip abroad will do ..... no as if we're gonna win the trophy anyway !!!!!

GGTTH

Because the Celtic were not in the Champions' League.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart7-0 View Post
    Even 1 trip abroad will do ..... no as if we're gonna win the trophy anyway !!!!!

GGTTH
    See you doom and gloomers? Ram it!

Europe eh?

Can't help thinking that's pretty rich considering the quality of entertainment on offer for most of this season!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Considering Europe is more or less our aim every season, I think this would be a fantastic end to a forgettable season.

It won't matter who wins tomorrow, we'll still qualify for Europe, after we lift the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    You don't need a lawyer. This is so simple that a five year old could figure it out.
    Quick, get me a five year-old. I can't make head nor tail of it! (with apologoes to Groucho Marx).

Really the rules are spelled out very clearly.

If Hibs win the Cup they will be in the Europa Cup at the Playoff Round (Fourth Qualifying Round).

If Celtc win the final against Hibs, Hibs will be in the Europa Cup in the Second Qualifying Round.

If Hibs lose the final Hearts, they will not get into the Europa unless Hearts fail to get a 2012-13 European Licence.

Promising Youngster Hongkong Phooey's Avatar

if Celtc beat Hertz are we in Europe?

Presume so?

As much as I want to beat Hertz to end the hoodoo, the prize of being guaranteed a European trip is surely too big to turn down.

Celtc in the final for me for that sole reason.
    Last edited by Hongkong Phooey; 15-04-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Yes

And European football would be great but it just comes absolutely no where near the pleasure of winning the cup. We would proberly be knocked out in the first round by some unheard of team and it would be done and forgotten, however, winning the cup would be the greatest moment in history, and for that reason I am wanting the hearts in the final as I think we have more chance of beating them than Celtic. At the moment I don't really care about Europa League, I just want that cup !

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LAHIBBY View Post
    Yes

And European football would be great but it just comes absolutely no where near the pleasure of winning the cup. We would proberly be knocked out in the first round by some unheard of team and it would be done and forgotten, however, winning the cup would be the greatest moment in history, and for that reason I am wanting the hearts in the final as I think we have more chance of beating them than Celtic. At the moment I don't really care about Europa League, I just want that cup !

GGTTH

100% with you here! The opportunity of beating those to whom our Scottish Cup 'hoodoo' means more to than it does to us is too great a chance to miss!

Hearts in the final for me even if they could beat us rather than a home and away tie in Europe!