hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This saddens me greatly, knowing they've been shafted by Rangers big style over their ticket money.
    The Pars fans will have to start to turn up again in numbers if they want to do something to save them.
    They used to have a terrific support but sadly numbers have dwindled on a high scale.

I remember that game you mentioned, would it have been '86 or '87 ? We had a big support there that day too.
    Probably my favourite away day in the past, I hope they're ok.
    Roasting day if i remember.im sure we went behind then took the lead only to lose it near the end.great days of falling down the hill from the train station and a sesh in the elizabethan.remember the pars fans saying without mickey weir we were punchless.sure enough he was suspended for the return game and we were 4-0 up before half time.the pars fans still came into ets after the game for a drink.great bunch of fans only wish other teams fans(cough hertz and gers)behaved as well as they do/did.

2. Log in to remove the advert

This proves ... if proof were needed ..... that its time for the total insanity of clubs relying on income from OF games to end.

One of the previous posters made a good point about supporting your local club. As far as I am aware if you go out in Newcastle with a Man Utd top on you had better do it in the dark and wear a bloody big coat over it.

There is nothing wrong with supporting a team from another town in its self. But what is annoying is the fact that all of these folk spouting the " I have a right to support who I want " peeash always seem to want to support the OF or Man Utd ... you dont see thousands flocking to Glasgow every weekend to see Partick Thistle ....... and they wonder why we call them glory hunters.

Fans ( I use the term in its loosest possible sense ) like that are killing clubs like Dunfermline and there is no doubt that the saturation coverage of the likes of the OF and Man Utd on TV has made the situation a hundred times worse than it ever was.

So good luck to Dunfermline and the real fans who support them ..... lets hope Scottish football gets its bloody act together before we lose a great club with a great history, be that Dunfermline or any other club.

Left by mutual consent!

HKHibby

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    Defo mate, however I think the saturated coverage of every old firm game against anyone has even more to do with it. Too many folks not happy to watch a team that cannae win every week seems to put them off. Football clubs should be a huge part of local communities and everyone should get behind their local clubs, even if it's for half a dozen games a season. Also I blame parents to a certain extent, when I was growing up there is no way my old man would've let me follow anyone other than Hibs. Nowadays it seems people just buy their kids any strip they fancy, knowing that they'll never see the inside of said clubs stadium. Rupert Murdoch is the main culprit though, football in this country is dying a death of a thousand cuts and it's sad to say the least.
    Why blame it on Rupert Murdoch? or anyone for that matter? but that is the way nowadays...blame it on someone else! when it is down to the individual really!, everyone under a certain age seems to have this stupid ridiculas celelbrity loving culture and visions of granduer!...regardless if they can afford it or not...star struck and following others like sheep! by supporting something because they are winning! glory hunters if you like! so the same goes in football supporting terms...materialistic! even if they cant afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    This proves ... if proof were needed ..... that its time for the total insanity of clubs relying on income from OF games to end.

One of the previous posters made a good point about supporting your local club. As far as I am aware if you go out in Newcastle with a Man Utd top on you had better do it in the dark and wear a bloody big coat over it.

There is nothing wrong with supporting a team from another town in its self. But what is annoying is the fact that all of these folk spouting the " I have a right to support who I want " peeash always seem to want to support the OF or Man Utd ... you dont see thousands flocking to Glasgow every weekend to see Partick Thistle ....... and they wonder why we call them glory hunters.

Fans ( I use the term in its loosest possible sense ) like that are killing clubs like Dunfermline and there is no doubt that the saturation coverage of the likes of the OF and Man Utd on TV has made the situation a hundred times worse than it ever was.

So good luck to Dunfermline and the real fans who support them ..... lets hope Scottish football gets its bloody act together before we lose a great club with a great history, be that Dunfermline or any other club.
    Maybe there should be a law-you can only support a team within 25 miles of your home? Do you think that'd help?

Hmmmm, I'll have to choose between: Hibs, hearts, Motherwell, Falkirk, Livingston, dunfermline, airdrie united,albion rovers........ You get the point I'm trying to make?

Incidentally, my second team is FCB from the Camp Nou and has been since the mid 90's
    Glory hunter? . Maybe-but if you followed Hibs through the 90's I'd be surprised if you'd grudge me a bit of happiness.
    I especially enjoyed being at Wembley last May to see the master class against the bitter mancs :-)

I support Brazil because they win things and play great football. I stay in Scotland but I don't care...I want some glory!

I genuinely despair. I'll give Scottish football another 15 years to live.

fifteen years??? Blimey, thats long term planning!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    In my mind you are only a supporter if you go to the games of said team and provide your support to the club both financially and vocally. If you simply look on from afar creaming yourself over the success of another team you are a fan of that team no more.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Maybe there should be a law-you can only support a team within 25 miles of your home? Do you think that'd help?

Hmmmm, I'll have to choose between: Hibs, hearts, Motherwell, Falkirk, Livingston, dunfermline, airdrie united,albion rovers........ You get the point I'm trying to make?
    Yeh I get your point. But my post said that I was OK with folk supporting a team from outwith their local area, but the point being that in 90% of cases that team always just happens to be the one who wins stuff all the time. Folk choosing a different team I can live with, glory hunting I cant.

It used to be about local pride ..... I'm from Edinburgh and bloody proud of it, part of that pride is supporting my local team, hell it could have been the yams. My stepson was born in Edinburgh and supports the yams and apart from him being a smelly yam jobby I'm glad that he supports an Edinburgh club and not one of the OF.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Yeh I get your point. But my post said that I was OK with folk supporting a team from outwith their local area, but the point being that in 90% of cases that team always just happens to be the one who wins stuff all the time. Folk choosing a different team I can live with, glory hunting I cant.

It used to be about local pride ..... I'm from Edinburgh and bloody proud of it, part of that pride is supporting my local team, hell it could have been the yams. My stepson was born in Edinburgh and supports the yams and apart from him being a smelly yam jobby I'm glad that he supports an Edinburgh club and not one of the OF.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

I don't have a problem with someone from Edinburgh or the Lothians supporting Hearts, but - rightly or wrongly - I have a problem with any Old Firm supporter who lives more than twenty miles from Glasgow.

A couple of years ago in holiday in Portugal, we met a friendly couple, with kids, from Peterhead, with thick Buchan accents. It didn't take long before the dad started talking about Rangers and how great they were. I asked if he was originally from Glasgow? No, no connection just the great Glasgow Rangers. Why not support Peterhead, or even Aberdeen then? A snort of derision was the answer. My wife, smelling trouble on the way, kicked me under the table. I dutifully shut up, but avoided him like the plague for the rest of the holiday.

It is for people like him that I hope, probably forlornly, that Rangers go to the wall and dissappear forever.

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post

Damn.....how much are houses in Leith looks like I'll have to flit

Could you not make it 45 miles?
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I'm playing Devil's Advocate, of course, but DAFC must have heard the gossip about RFC earlier in the season. It wouldn't have been beyond them to do what we did with Hearts, and get the money themselves.

Yeah, I know, 50/50 hindsight.....
    I think it was last season a few clubs told the OF to stick their plans to charge a 5 % admin fee to home clubs for them selling T's to their own fans or away matches. Lots of clubs said no chance but I think only 3 of us refused and decided to set up our own selling arrangement. This was ahead of this seasons tax issues became THE talking point. To me the SPL should redirect funds to Pars to cover the shortage and the SFA should do the same for United who are also around 100k out of pocket for the SC tie. The SFA can get the cash back from 1690RFC or whatever they call themselves next season or refuse them entry to the SC. I don't know if they can block entry to the SPL or SFL but they can make it difficult for 1690.

@hibs.net private member
    Notice the crowd was 3523 yesterday. Would thought more would have wanted to be there in view of their plight.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

It's not so much a sign of Dunfermline relying on the OF, if it was any of the visiting teams that bring a good support - take your pick from the sheep, us, the Yams, and the OF, and we never paid them what they were due, they'd be in the same nick. It was income they were expecting but it didn't come and that's what caused the issue with the wages.

If Rangers weren't about then Dunfermline and the other clubs would have set their budget expectations a bit lower and cut their cloth accordingly. Their players would have been paid if it was any other team provided they actually paid up.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Guess me and the ginger guy above will have to get a flat together down Leith way :-)

I was sitting in the Thistle Centre in Stirling a few years ago whilst the other half was spending money. Young female about eight sat down beside me with a hun top on. I asked her how she thought rangers would get on that night ( a European game). She didn't even know they were playing. Then she told me she only wore it because her dad made her. Sad. I should add that I am not in the habit of speaking to random 8 year old females :-)
    Last edited by Lucius Apuleius; 05-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Notice the crowd was 3523 yesterday. Would thought more would have wanted to be there in view of their plight.
    The radio said there was around 1000 Motherwell fans.......poor show from the Pars fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    The radio said there was around 1000 Motherwell fans.......poor show from the Pars fans.

And considering the huge turnout from Rangers fans to help them through the bad times (as announced on another thread), that means the Pars support was only about 1,500

First Team Breakthrough
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17225672

Great gesture from the administrator. Being cynical you could view this as a way of ensuring there is no bad feelings when the phoenix club has to be voted in to the SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17225672

Great gesture from the administrator. Being cynical you could view this as a way of ensuring there is no bad feelings when the phoenix club has to be voted in to the SPL.
    Do the administrators have the power to selectively pay off some creditors at the expense of others?

I am not arguing about Dunfermline being paid, but why not Dundee United or even Hearts?
    Last edited by jgl07; 05-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Do the administrators have the power to selectively pay of some creditors at the expense of others?

I am not arguing about Dunfermline being paid, but why not Dundee United or even Hearts?
    I don't think they do, JGL, and I mentioned this on the other thread. If I were the Revenue, Hearts or the wee plumber down the road, I'd be kicking up about this.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I don't think they do, JGL, and I mentioned this on the other thread. If I were the Revenue, Hearts or the wee plumber down the road, I'd be kicking up about this.
    The story has just been repeated on BBC news and not a hint that it might be illegal. Just don't get it, how can they possibly have agreeed this single payment? As a tax payer, I want the tax bill paid in full before any other debts are paid

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    The story has just been repeated on BBC news and not a hint that it might be illegal. Just don't get it, how can they possibly have agreeed this single payment? As a tax payer, I want the tax bill paid in full before any other debts are paid
    I wouldn;t expect the BBC, or the Record etc, to be clued-up on technical matters like that.

It was suggested on the other thread that perhaps the admins think that the rules here are the same as in England... ie that football debts have preferred status.