hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Dunfermline in the Sticky Stuff

Radio Scotland breaking news that Dunfermline players have not been paid their full wages. Having worked in Dunfermiline and also seen them bring 4 or 5000 fans to ER in the past, I have to say I'm puzzled by their poor crowds this season.

Who remembers the 3-3 draw at East End on the opening day of the season in the mid 80's? Must have been 12000 there that day. The same fixture a few weeks ago attracted about half that with the majority Hibs fans.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Radio Scotland breaking news that Dunfermline players have not been paid their full wages. Having worked in Dunfermiline and also seen them bring 4 or 5000 fans to ER in the past, I have to say I'm puzzled by their poor crowds this season.

Who remembers the 3-3 draw at East End on the opening day of the season in the mid 80's? Must have been 12000 there that day. The same fixture a few weeks ago attracted about half that with the majority Hibs fans.
    They should be docked 10 points with immediate effect.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Sure I can remember getting done at home by them in the league cup when they brought scads of fans through. Was it 1-4? Anyways, I think that the 80k that Der Hun owe them, that they may only get a fraction of now, might tip them over.

At this rate we might be lucky to get a 10 team SPL!!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

I used to work beside a Pars fan and he said that so many of them had given up because they knew the club just would never be anything other than relegation candidates nowadays and the fact that they never played decent passing football. All seems a bit strange, They do seem to have lost a lot of fans. St Johnstone too, I remember a sell out up there when Houchy was sent off and the day they brought a huge crowd to ER for Blobby's first game. Now they're lucky to get 2,500 and they're top 6.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 Mickey Weir View Post
    At this rate we might be lucky to get a 10 team SPL!!
    If we are really lucky 9

The vermin still owe the Pars money don't they? I point the blame firmly at Ipox.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I used to work beside a Pars fan and he said that so many of them had given up because they knew the club just would never be anything other than relegation candidates nowadays and the fact that they never played decent passing football. All seems a bit strange, They do seem to have lost a lot of fans. St Johnstone too, I remember a sell out up there when Houchy was sent off and the day they brought a huge crowd to ER for Blobby's first game. Now they're lucky to get 2,500 and they're top 6.
    Perhaps playing each other 4 times, £25+ a ticket, too much football on tv is taking its toll everywhere. 16/18 team Premier League, playing twice with summer football. Restriction on tv games etc required.

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    They should be docked 10 points with immediate effect.

10 POINTS - is that all !!!!

or is that enough to save us !!!

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar

This saddens me greatly, knowing they've been shafted by Rangers big style over their ticket money.
    The Pars fans will have to start to turn up again in numbers if they want to do something to save them.
    They used to have a terrific support but sadly numbers have dwindled on a high scale.

I remember that game you mentioned, would it have been '86 or '87 ? We had a big support there that day too.
    Probably my favourite away day in the past, I hope they're ok.
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    This saddens me greatly, knowing they've been shafted by Rangers big style over their ticket money.
    The Pars fans will have to start to turn up again in numbers if they want to do something to save them.
    They used to have a terrific support but sadly numbers have dwindled on a high scale.

I remember that game you mentioned, would it have been '86 or '87 ? We had a big support there that day too.
    Probably my favourite away day in the past, I hope they're ok.
    Agreed mate, I blame theamount of premiership coverage, seems to be a lot of folk 'support' premiership teams now whereas I imagine a lot of these people may have supported the likes of dunfermline and st johnstone in the past

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    I heard dunfy have club debts of 9.5m

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Agreed mate, I blame theamount of premiership coverage, seems to be a lot of folk 'support' premiership teams now whereas I imagine a lot of these people may have supported the likes of dunfermline and st johnstone in the past
    Defo mate, however I think the saturated coverage of every old firm game against anyone has even more to do with it. Too many folks not happy to watch a team that cannae win every week seems to put them off. Football clubs should be a huge part of local communities and everyone should get behind their local clubs, even if it's for half a dozen games a season. Also I blame parents to a certain extent, when I was growing up there is no way my old man would've let me follow anyone other than Hibs. Nowadays it seems people just buy their kids any strip they fancy, knowing that they'll never see the inside of said clubs stadium. Rupert Murdoch is the main culprit though, football in this country is dying a death of a thousand cuts and it's sad to say the least.
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Meanwhile the administrators at ibrox continue to drag their heels over cutting costs e.g. by laying off staff, thus reducing the funds that will be available to creditors like dunfermline.
    ​#PERSEVERED

There's more than a good chance of them going under in the next year or two IMHO.

The reason they are struggling is they have average crowds similar to Crewe Alexandria but have to compete with Celtic who have crowds similar to arsenal.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Very sad if this is true, always had a soft spot for the Pars myself. Hope they find a lifeline from somewhere.
    Also hope they finish below us, of course......
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

First Team Breakthrough
    That 3-3 game was my first ever Hibs game, sure Micky Weir scored. I must have only been 7 or 8, remember it was a cracking sunny day the stadium was packed to the rafters and everyone signing their hearts out. I was totally captivated by it all. Can't imagine a 7 or 8 year old kid being anything other than bored stiff these days. Such a shame.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    All part of Rod's plan. We'll win the league by default due to all other teams being in the sticky stuff.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Sure I can remember getting done at home by them in the league cup when they brought scads of fans through. Was it 1-4? Anyways, I think that the 80k that Der Hun owe them, that they may only get a fraction of now, might tip them over.
    1-3, after extra time, 1989 I think?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The reason they are struggling is they have average crowds similar to Crewe Alexandria but have to compete with Celtic who have crowds similar to arsenal.
    This post will probably be overlooked by many,but there is a lot of relevant truth in it.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    I heard dunfy have club debts of 9.5m
    I'm sure I read somewhere that relegation would actually be a benefit to them as the cost of competing in the SPL in terms of wages etc isn't in keeping with their gate receipts. I always thought TV money might balanced that out and such a suggestion could be quite far fetched but who knows.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    All part timers paid in full. Full timers paid 60% of wages.
    Short term cash flow problem that will be rectified on Monday.
    They have informed the SPL of the problem. I think they have done this to maybe force their hand in giving them the money out of any funds Rangers may be due from the SPL.

Losses from year 460k. And that was the year they were promoted!!!!!!

Its time clubs realised that the fans can't afford to pay £30 to £45 for a father and son to go to football anymore. I don't know if we need the telly money now, it doesn't seem to be that lucrative anymore. TV companies have us by the proverbials, because they know there's not that much demand for Scottish football on the box anywhere else.
    Its ridiculous. Motherwell game was a great crowd last week, 8k for a midweek game is fantastic for Motherwell nowadays! theres no way they would have had that if the prices were the norm.
    Ok, maybe bringing prices down doesn't guarantee bumper crowds, but I know it makes a lot of difference to the do I/don't I Saturday afternoon options for a lot of fans. I might be willing to go to more games at £22 for me, but when your adding a child on to that at £12 or £14 it becomes a bit of a heavy financial burden.

Eg - Hearts game at £28/£14 + £3 "booking fee" ........ thats a no bad pair of trainers right there!
    Dunfermline/Fife isn't exactly a booming economy right now.........

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    1-3, after extra time, 1989 I think?
    Ross Jack scoring one in off the post at the Dunbar End. The old terracing fairly emptied after that one went in!

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    One of first games against Dunfy I remember would have been about 85 / 86 in the Scottish Cup with Hibs winning 2-0. They had a great support through and iirc the crowd as about 15k. Great atmosphere that day

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    I was over in Dunfermline , shopping with the wife before we got a Primark, It was wall to wall Old Firm strips in the town, and I would guess 2 hun jerseys for every Hoops top.

I thought to myself then, what chance does a team like Pars have, all the youth supporting the bigot brothers, and the local team discarded by glory hunters that probably never go to a game.

Rangers extinction may give real football clubs a chance.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    I was over in Dunfermline , shopping with the wife before we got a Primark, It was wall to wall Old Firm strips in the town, and I would guess 2 hun jerseys for every Hoops top.

I thought to myself then, what chance does a team like Pars have, all the youth supporting the bigot brothers, and the local team discarded by glory hunters that probably never go to a game.

Rangers extinction may give real football clubs a chance.
    Surely Rangers "extinction" is a fanciful idea? I just fail to see a scenario despite it all that "extinction" would occur.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Surely Rangers "extinction" is a fanciful idea? I just fail to see a scenario despite it all that "extinction" would occur.
    Suppose your right, there are some diseases that can never be eradicated, a financially ham-strung Huns owned by a consortium of morons who hate each others guts might just have to do.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    I live and work in the Dunfermline area and it sickens me the old firm dominance. In my work (a large call centre) I can think of about 5 Dunfermline fans, with only about 2 of them going to regular matches. There is 2 other hibbys, they don't go to ER, 2 raith fans, 1 of which goes to games, then the rest are armchair OF fans. Think they know everything about Scottish football and are diehard fans because they watch their team every other week on the tv.