hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What is your attitude to a new "Rangers" entering at Div1?

Voters
1004. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opposed - and will walk away from Scottish professional football

533 53.09%
  • Opposed - but will continue to support the game.

447 44.52%
  • In favour.

24 2.39%
Page 1426 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 4269261326137614161424142514261427142814361476 ... LastLast
Results 42,751 to 42,780 of 44390
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Morelos / Milan story originated from Italian media.
    Aye, from Giacomo Traynore.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Aye, from Giacomo Traynore.
    Carlo Collodi, more like.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    Carlo Collodi, more like.
    I had to google that one, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    Pensions are taxable. You get tax relief when you put money into a pension (as an incentive to save) but pension income is taxed like any other income.

ISAs are funded with money that has already been taxed. You just don't pay any tax on the gain.

So, pensions and ISAs aren't tax avoidance at all.
    Of course they are.

I put money into an ISA rather than a normal bank account so that I don't need to pay tax. I know people who pay into a pension scheme to reduce their tax bill now and save tax in the long run (41% relief on the contributions and pay tax at 20/21% when they take the pension). I know businesses who buy a new piece of machinery to get the tax relief and trade in the current item which works fine.

My point remains that there is nothing wrong with tax avoidance when the tax system is written to encourage certain behaviours by providing a tax saving.

The problem arises when smart alecs try to exploit a gap between the wording and the intent of the legislation. They don't all get caught like Huns RIP did.

Anyway, this is in danger of getting political, so I'll bow out now.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due
    No need to bow out. The key word is ‘avoidance’. ISAs and pensions are tax-efficient rather than tax avoidance.

It isn’t just semantics either. As I pointed out both are part of the taxation chain. For it to be tax avoidance, your money has to be removed from taxation altogether - either legally or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    No need to bow out. The key word is ‘avoidance’. ISAs and pensions are tax-efficient rather than tax avoidance.

It isn’t just semantics either. As I pointed out both are part of the taxation chain. For it to be tax avoidance, your money has to be removed from taxation altogether - either legally or otherwise.
    Such as putting it in an ISA.

Testimonial Due
    Eh, naw. The money you put into the ISA has already been subject to the rules of income tax.

Eh, naw. The money you put into the ISA has already been subject to the rules of income tax.

If I put money into an ISA, at the end of the year I get more money added to it, which has not been subject to tax. If I take the interest and put it into another ISA, this second ISA is wholly funded by money which has not been subject to tax. Saying it is 'subject to the rules of income tax' does not disguise the fact that it is wholly untaxed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Each person is allowed only 1 cash ISA.

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Each person is allowed only 1 cash ISA.
    Not so.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    ......anyway, back on topic from this pish about ISAs

Check this wee beauty out -

https://twitter.com/debbie_napier/st...358237184?s=19

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Not so.
    Well I suppose you could take out 20,000 cash ISAs in a year if you put a £1 in each.

ISAs whether cash or stocks & shares have an annual limit. The investment comes from a taxed environment into a tax free one - it is tax efficient and a govt arrangement. There used to be a clear difference between evasion and avoidance with the former criminal and the latter considered good planning.

Things have moved on due not in the least to contrived, connived and artificial arrangements with the sole purpose of escaping fair taxation. Tax avoidance schemes are now reportable to HMRC so that the likes of dodgy EBTs from dodgy employers should not happen again. The propensity of greedy millionaire celebrities and footballers etc , to invest in film funding LLPs designed to create tax relief rather than produce films, demonstrates the reprehensible view that tax is for the poor to pay and not the rich. Personally I’d say it demonstrates greed and a lack of morals or principles.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    The investment comes from a taxed environment into a tax free one
    Not if you use the proceeds of a previous ISA to start a new one it doesn't. In that case it comes from an untaxed environment into a tax free one.

ISAs started in 1999 and for the first ten years were paying a much higher interest rate than they are now (although annual maximums were much lower). If you have paid in the maximum allowed every year since 1999, you will by now have quite a lot of money which has come from an untaxed environment.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    ......anyway, back on topic from this pish about ISAs

Check this wee beauty out -

https://twitter.com/debbie_napier/st...358237184?s=19

So are they now doing fundraisers? How are the MSM not picking up on this. Sounds like they are in deep deep ****. 🤞🤞🤞

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    So are they now doing fundraisers? How are the MSM not picking up on this. Sounds like they are in deep deep ****. 🤞🤞🤞
    I think it is a show/play about Rangers. I saw a poster for it when I was in Glasgow last week.

Not if you use the proceeds of a previous ISA to start a new one it doesn't. In that case it comes from an untaxed environment into a tax free one.

ISAs started in 1999 and for the first ten years were paying a much higher interest rate than they are now (although annual maximums were much lower). If you have paid in the maximum allowed every year since 1999, you will by now have quite a lot of money which has come from an untaxed environment.
    Are you sure about 1999? My pal Sandra has a sister called Isa and she was born in 1953...

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Are you sure about 1999? My pal Sandra has a sister called Isa and she was born in 1953...

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Blog Entries

No it will all have come from a taxed environment and grown in a tax free one. To move to a new one you are simply then moving monies that originated in a taxed environment from one wrapper to another. It is like moving your car to a new parking spot - it is NOT a new car.

Moving wrappers or cumulatively adding to the same wrapper, assuming the same interest rate, has the same result in a cash ISA. You have moved monies from a taxed environment into a tax efficient one where the growth is not taxed. The money you put in a cash ISA comes from your net taxed income or your capital as subject (within the allowances) to for example to CGT or IGT. It is all from a taxed environment.

Anyway that the taxman has looked less than kindly to avoidance has given us this thread that I’m hoping will offer up a lot more interest to come than currently paid from your average cash ISA. Which is my last word on ISAs

I wonder what kind of figure Sevco will be hit with from Astley? Are there any estimates going around ?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    No it will all have come from a taxed environment and grown in a tax free one. To move to a new one you are simply then moving monies that originated in a taxed environment from one wrapper to another. It is like moving your car to a new parking spot - it is NOT a new car.

Moving wrappers or cumulatively adding to the same wrapper, assuming the same interest rate, has the same result in a cash ISA. You have moved monies from a taxed environment into a tax efficient one where the growth is not taxed. The money you put in a cash ISA comes from your net taxed income or your capital as subject (within the allowances) to for example to CGT or IGT. It is all from a taxed environment.

Anyway that the taxman has looked less than kindly to avoidance has given us this thread that I’m hoping will offer up a lot more interest to come than currently paid from your average cash ISA. Which is my last word on ISAs
    To argue that the tax-free interest on an ISA has come from a taxed environment is like saying that cash-in-hand for a building job is from a taxed environment because the homeowner is paying it out of his PAYEd wages. Ditto the money that Govey pays for his coke. All money is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Isa Drennan was born in 1953. Is it her?

Could you ISA obsessors take your filthy chat outside, puh-leez!

For those in the know about ISA s. Where can I get one that pays 3 percent or more

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    For those in the know about ISA s. Where can I get one that pays 3 percent or more

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar

In your dreams for the time being I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    In your dreams for the time being I'm afraid.
    Boris will sort it

If you stick it in a decent stocks and shares ISA you could get double that or more.

Obviously need to add the caveat that they can also go down in value and past performance is no guarantee of future returns .

Isa Drennan was born in 1953. Is it her?
    No...her name is Cumming

Blog Entries
    To argue that the tax-free interest on an ISA has come from a taxed environment is like saying that cash-in-hand for a building job is from a taxed environment because the homeowner is paying it out of his PAYEd wages. Ditto the money that Govey pays for his coke. All money is legit.
    You have moved your argument not so much to a new parking place but you’ve now left the car behind and are talking about the added extra alloy wheels! I never said the growth came from a taxed environment just the investment and of course we are talking about moving your own funds from one place to another not a black market under the counter cash in hand payment between 2 parties. This is most certainly my last response on this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    If you stick it in a decent stocks and shares ISA you could get double that or more.

Obviously need to add the caveat that they can also go down in value and past performance is no guarantee of future returns .
    Been there tried it But prefer security of a fixed guaranteed return even if locking it away for longer period