hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What is your attitude to a new "Rangers" entering at Div1?

Voters
1004. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opposed - and will walk away from Scottish professional football

533 53.09%
  • Opposed - but will continue to support the game.

447 44.52%
  • In favour.

24 2.39%
Page 1407 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 4079071307135713971405140614071408140914171457 ... LastLast
Results 42,181 to 42,210 of 44390
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing sweeter than the sound of those who dodge paying tax squealing when they’re squeezed to pay what they’re due.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It may be.

But there's a long way between being assessed and actually accepting it.

Some may think that they can't afford to fight it, so will accept it and let events take their course. Someone, though... and not necessarily one of the Rangers EBT recipients, perhaps one of the English ones.... will take on HMRC and establish precedent. That may need some recipients to pool their resources to fund one appeal.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Haven’t all the English clubs accepted their liability and settled with HMRC? I think it will only be Rangers players who will be left twisting in the wind because their club died.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Haven’t all the English clubs accepted their liability and settled with HMRC? I think it will only be Rangers players who will be left twisting in the wind because their club died.

The clubs ( and other companies in other industries) may have done, on the back of the test case that was RFC. I'm not sure about the recipients, though.

That's the next battleground, IMO. It is likely that that battle has already begun.

The clubs ( and other companies in other industries) may have done, on the back of the test case that was RFC. I'm not sure about the recipients, though.

That's the next battleground, IMO. It is likely that that battle has already begun.

But if the clubs have settled the bill, surely HMRC won’t go after the players?

https://www.lastditchtackle.com/blog...-just-not-fair

But if the clubs have settled the bill, surely HMRC won’t go after the players?

RFC have settled their bill, in that they have been held liable for it. It's irrelevant that only part of it will get paid.

But it seems that HMRC are still likely to pursue the players. So it follows that they will go after players of other clubs.

I was going to mention Novo’s claim about not speaking English earlier. Stupid hun plum.

RFC have settled their bill, in that they have been held liable for it. It's irrelevant that only part of it will get paid.

But it seems that HMRC are still likely to pursue the players. So it follows that they will go after players of other clubs.

But if their bills have been settled in full? Is it not only because old Rangers have not been able settle their bill that HMRC are coming after them instead?

But if their bills have been settled in full? Is it not only because old Rangers have not been able settle their bill that HMRC are coming after them instead?

That's not why HMRC would go after the players. If that were the case, they would be pursuing House of Fraser staff for the company's unpaid PAYE debt.

HMRC will go after the players because they think they have avoided tax. If they do it for Rangers, they will do it for other clubs.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    That's not why HMRC would go after the players. If that were the case, they would be pursuing House of Fraser staff for the company's unpaid PAYE debt.

HMRC will go after the players because they think they have avoided tax. If they do it for Rangers, they will do it for other clubs.
    Might not the settlement that Hector has reached with English clubs include those clubs paying the players' contributions as well as the clubs' own contributions (and the players' interest, and the players' penalties)? The clubs might have promised, like Rongers, to take care of any future problems for players.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Might not the settlement that Hector has reached with English clubs include those clubs paying the players' contributions as well as the clubs' own contributions (and the players' interest, and the players' penalties)? The clubs might have promised, like Rongers, to take care of any future problems for players.
    If that's the case, there's precedent set. The RFC recipients can simply say "You did it for them, so do it for us. Go and try to get your money from the liquidator."

It would make sense in some ways. After all, it is PAYE and NIC that HMRC have lost out on.......which is where we were about 5 pages ago

If that's the case, there's precedent set. The RFC recipients can simply say "You did it for them, so do it for us. Go and try to get your money from the liquidator."
    In which case Hector can then say "We tried to get it from the liquidator and couldn't. Therefore, we're getting it from you. And don't give me any of that House of Fraser pish - you and your highly paid advisers knew your employers were at it, HoF staff didn't."

In which case Hector can then say "We tried to get it from the liquidator and couldn't. Therefore, we're getting it from you. And don't give me any of that House of Fraser pish - you and your highly paid advisers knew your employers were at it, HoF staff didn't."
    And then we'll be on to Series 9 with another tribunal

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Of course he would have signed for sevco for £10 a week, he's a clown.

He sits in amongst that lot while they all sing hate songs about his faith. Perhaps because he sells a few pints to them in his new bar, he has decided to ignore the blatant bigotry because he's nothing to gain from actually standing up and saying its wrong?
    or maybe hes just a xxxxwit
    like most of sevcos pond life

And then we'll be on to Series 9 with another tribunal
    I look forward most to Hector going after Mrs The Crab, even if that's against current rules.

I look forward most to Hector going after Mrs The Crab, even if that's against current rules.
    Mr The Crab is out of bankruptcy, so he's fair game.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Mr The Crab is out of bankruptcy, so he's fair game.

Does his previous take him out? I thought declaring bankruptcy cleared existing debt. Could he not claim it had gone with the rest or does Her Majesty have a special rule?

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Does his previous take him out? I thought declaring bankruptcy cleared existing debt. Could he not claim it had gone with the rest or does Her Majesty have a special rule?

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk
    His previous debt will take a while to clear. His bankruptcy stopped the clock on being sued or taking on any more debt.

Now that he's out of it, he can take on more debt.... such as any new action by HMRC.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    His previous debt will take a while to clear. His bankruptcy stopped the clock on being sued or taking on any more debt.

Now that he's out of it, he can take on more debt.... such as any new action by HMRC.

Excellent..

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Looks like HMRC are going after loads of others for earning 'loans'

On @BBCBreakfast 0845 Up to 50,000 IT workers, nurses, teachers, face back tax payments to 1999. Some say they will have to sell their homes or go bankrupt. They were partly paid by a loan rather than wages to reduce tax, as advised by accountants and agencies.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Looks like HMRC are going after loads of others for earning 'loans'
    I haven't seen the full report, but I would doubt that nurses and teachers (most of whom are public employees) would be involved. If they are, they've been badly advised.

As for IT workers, many of whom will be paid through personal service companies and hence already paying less tax and NI than they would as employees.... If they're trying to reduce their tax even further..... hell mend 'em

I haven't seen the full report, but I would doubt that nurses and teachers (most of whom are public employees) would be involved. If they are, they've been badly advised.

As for IT workers, many of whom will be paid through personal service companies and hence already paying less tax and NI than they would as employees.... If they're trying to reduce their tax even further..... hell mend 'em

I don't think there are teachers in Scotland in this position. England, however, is a horse of an altogether different hue...

The nurses might refer to some of the dodgy agencies you hear about.

I've mentioned this on here before, but anyway.

I work in IT and went to work in Austria for a couple of years, as a Contractor. The Agency I was working with proposed a Contract whereby roughly 70% of my payment would go through standard channels, with all Taxes and Health Insurance paid, while the rest would be an 'Interest Free Loan', to be paid into a Bank Account in Switzerland.

My immediate thought was that it sounded dodgy as hell, and I said no. "Too good to be true", you might say.

Sounds very much like the scheme used to 'pay' the Rangers Employees, which makes me wonder how it never occurred to any of them that it just didn't sound right.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 15-09-2018 at 10:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    I was an IT contractor back in 1999. The 'scam'then was to get paid a low wage and then take a company dividend which was taxed at 10% I think. I didn't hear of anyone taking a loan.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I've mentioned this on here before, but anyway.

I work in IT and went to work in Austria for a couple of years, as a Contractor. The Agency I was working with proposed a Contract whereby roughly 70% of my payment would go through standard channels, with all Taxes and Health Insurance paid, while the rest would be an 'Interest Free Loan', to be paid into a Bank Account in Switzerland.

My immediate thought was that it sounded dodgy as hell, and I said no. "Too good to be true", you might say.

Sounds very much like the scheme used to 'pay' the Rangers Employees, which makes me wonder how it never occurred to any of them that it just didn't sound right.
    I know a friend of a friend who was working for a UK airline whilst living in the EU. Their taxes were all paid through the UK and deducted on a monthly basis. He used to claim all his taxes back at the end of the year on the basis of non residence. Due to the badly worded double taxation agreement between the UK and his country of residence the tax authorities there couldn't touch him because the agreement basically said that someone paying tax in another EU nation couldn't be taxed again in another. They closed the loophole back in 2009 and tried to get the money taxed retrospectively but that would be like trying to fine someone for doing 30 in a 30 zone before changing it to 20. Luckily my friend's friend kept all the money he'd received in rebates until after the courts decided in his/their favour, a lot of his colleagues who had spent all their money were sweating for a while. Unfortunately his wife made him spend that money on a nice wee house instead of the 12m yacht he'd had his eye on.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    I was an IT contractor back in 1999. The 'scam'then was to get paid a low wage and then take a company dividend which was taxed at 10% I think. I didn't hear of anyone taking a loan.
    Heehaw wrong with that !

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I think this was a similar arrangement that many NHS agency workers took in the 1990s / early 2000s.

Since tightened up, but rather different to the EBTs. No ‘side letters’ and no pretend loans.

That's not a scam.

It's quite acceptable to do that, although the tax on dividends has been amended in recent years to bring in more revenue.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    That's not a scam.

It's quite acceptable to do that, although the tax on dividends has been amended in recent years to bring in more revenue.

IR35 came in to say earnings should be treated as an employee as I suspect 99% of people only worked for one company at the same desk. Although I benefited from dividends, it was just a way of avoiding tax.

IR35 came in to say earnings should be treated as an employee as I suspect 99% of people only worked for one company at the same desk. Although I benefited from dividends, it was just a way of avoiding tax.
    Ir35 was a way of recouping National Insurance rather than tax.

I say "was" as, although it still exists, it is largely a dead duck. I haven't known of a single contractor who has been challenged on their IR35 status in over 10 years. The recent changes to the taxation of dividends have made it virtually redundant.