hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What is your attitude to a new "Rangers" entering at Div1?

Voters
1004. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opposed - and will walk away from Scottish professional football

533 53.09%
  • Opposed - but will continue to support the game.

447 44.52%
  • In favour.

24 2.39%
Page 1200 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 20070011001150119011981199120012011202121012501300 ... LastLast
Results 35,971 to 36,000 of 44390
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember the first time I heard "the famine song" at Easter Road (it may well have been the first time it was aired anywhere, I'm sure it was a Sunday game).

I am an Edinburgh-born Scottish protestant (in the loosest possible way, I've never been to church other than weddings and funerals) and both my granddads were Rangers fans.

There was a certain irony that there will have been an element amongst their fans who will have woken up at the crack of dawn, got the boat over from Northern Ireland and come to Easter Road to sing "why don't you go home" to me, within a mile or so of both my flat and my birthplace.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I remember the first time I heard "the famine song" at Easter Road (it may well have been the first time it was aired anywhere, I'm sure it was a Sunday game).

I am an Edinburgh-born Scottish protestant (in the loosest possible way, I've never been to church other than weddings and funerals) and both my granddads were Rangers fans.

[B]There was a certain irony that there will have been an element amongst their fans who will have woken up at the crack of dawn, got the boat over from Northern Ireland and come to Easter Road to sing "why don't you go home" to me, within a mile or so of both my flat and my birthplace.

/B]

Brought to mind the irony of an occasion many years ago when I went to Love Street to see George Best play for us against St Mirren. We were involved in a bit of a discussion with a hun in the Wee Howf bar before the game, he had the Guy in a wig on a prancing pony tattoo and 1690 underneath it.

It started going wrong when he insisted that George was a "papist barsteward" and as part of the wider debate was adamant that the battle of the Boyne was fought in Holland and it saved Scotland from being ruled by catholics. As they say, if you know your history.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    /B]
    [/B]
    Brought to mind the irony of an occasion many years ago when I went to Love Street to see George Best play for us against St Mirren. We were involved in a bit of a discussion with a hun in the Wee Howf bar before the game, he had the Guy in a wig on a prancing pony tattoo and 1690 underneath it.

It started going wrong when he insisted that George was a "papist barsteward" and as part of the wider debate was adamant that the battle of the Boyne was fought in Holland and it saved Scotland from being ruled by catholics. As they say, if you know your history.

They're a parody of themselves. Who needs satire?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    Personally I'm all for moderated liberalism with a live and let live culture. I have no time for bigots yet in Scotland bigoted bile is allowed to be heard being belted out every other week from mostly the rangers fans. I cannot for the life of me understand how on earth the sfa and/or politicians do not take action to stamp out such hatred. It absolutely baffles me how it is quietly tolerated by the authorities.

glory glory
    They're not going to come down hard on themselves are they. Rotten to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    rangers:

They're a parody of themselves. Who needs satire?
    Is a parody a dyslexic proddy?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

You what talking are about?

@hibs.net private member vincipernoi's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: eh? Wii Code: eh?
    ask them what date the battle of the boyne was - they're usually convinced it was the 12 July (hint - it wasnae)

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    You what talking are about?

aretheweepeepul

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by vincipernoi View Post
    ask them what date the battle of the boyne was - they're usually convinced it was the 12 July (hint - it wasnae)
    Surely everyone knows all about the Battling Boings? Here they are.

untitled (6).jpg

Sir Matt Busby

Looks like the word has gone out to the press to try force him to walk away. He won't survive back pages like that for long. The board know they can't sell season tickets with him still in charge. They need him out but can't afford a pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Looks like the word has gone out to the press to try force him to walk away. He won't survive back pages like that for long. The board know they can't sell season tickets with him still in charge. They need him out but can't afford a pay off.

You would have to clinically insane to even consider taking that job.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You would have to clinically insane to even consider taking that job.
    Step forward Terry Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Level 5 knives out for Warby. I think it was inevitable once we showed the world his magic hat was akin to the fairytale by Hans Christian Anderson the Emperor's New Clothes. It just took the knuckledragging huns a bit longer to realise he had no magic hat. In saying that they sent him out to challenge Sellick in absence of the promised £30 million warchest by the board to the gullibillies so he had no magic wand either. The board have now issued Level 5 to get rid of Warby and his Emperor's new clothes before the gullibillies storm the building in search of the board who duped them.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Step forward Terry Butcher
    Brilliant if he ended up there but unfortunately Mrs B is apparently not keen on their "traditions" or the way they choose to display them

Sir Matt Busby

Brilliant if he ended up there but unfortunately Mrs B is apparently not keen on their "traditions" or the way they choose to display them
    Aye that's true and wont happen but in a weird way it would give me some closure on the whole time that man was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    Aye that's true and wont happen but in a weird way it would give me some closure on the whole time that man was with us.
    Shame as there are a number of similarities between him and the soon to be unemployed warbler.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    I'm in that group too. I think we're the treacherous, turncoat b******s that they hate the most.

Bafflement and indifference on our part winds them up more than the outright hatred they get from the other side, which is a language they understand and can relate to.
    I met a Rangers fan in Aldershot when I lived there. The look of disbelief when I said I wasn't a Catholic stopped him dead. He literally stood with his mouth open and just looked at me in amazement.

Eventually he said "but how can you support Hibs?"

He genuinely had trouble understanding. Never really spoke to me again, which was no great loss to be fair....

Also met a guy at a wedding a few years ago, when I mentioned going to the Weege to see football he said "To see the Glasgow Rangers I presume?" and when I said I supported hibs, the look of disgust on his face was comical. Went quiet for 10 minutes then started telling me (crap) jokes about the Pope.

I said I wasn't a Catholic and he just stared at me. That was the end of all conversation that night.

They just equate football with religion as a way of life, I really dont understand it myself...
    Last edited by surreyhibbie; 09-02-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    I met a Rangers fan in Aldershot when I lived there. The look of disbelief when I said I wasn't a Catholic stopped him dead. He literally stood with his mouth open and just looked at me in amazement.

Eventually he said "but how can you support Hibs?"

He genuinely had trouble understanding. Never really spoke to me again, which was no great loss to be fair....

Also met a guy at a wedding a few years ago, when I mentioned going to the Weege to see football he said "To see the Glasgow Rangers I presume?" and when I said I supported hibs, the look of disgust on his face was comical. Went quiet for 10 minutes then started telling me (crap) jokes about the Pope.

I said I wasn't a Catholic and he just stared at me. That was the end of all conversation that night.

They just equate football with religion as a way of life, I really dont understand it myself...
    I once turned up at a contract tendering meeting in Glasgow - quite a few people there and before it all started I bumped into a guy I'd met before who was a hun. He openly said to his colleague that we'd be no threat as we were just "hibbies up against the big boys".

Quite a few baffled looks since I was actually working self employed for the people who he had been invited to tender to! He wasn't successful and sat through a very uncomfortable process, especially when question time arrived

Bellicose bellends.

Sir Matt Busby

I reckon MW will be desperately searching for the 'invisibility' function on his 'magic hat'.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...-out-of-ibrox/

And its not just the manager who has been fingered.

Shame as there are a number of similarities between him and the soon to be unemployed warbler.
    Such as ?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Such as ?
    Both useless

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Such as ?
    Both talk a lot and their mouth is usually significantly ahead of their brain.

And neither has a working magic hat

Sir Matt Busby

I once turned up at a contract tendering meeting in Glasgow - quite a few people there and before it all started I bumped into a guy I'd met before who was a hun. He openly said to his colleague that we'd be no threat as we were just "hibbies up against the big boys".

Quite a few baffled looks since I was actually working self employed for the people who he had been invited to tender to! He wasn't successful and sat through a very uncomfortable process, especially when question time arrived

Bellicose bellends.
    That's a great story. Hope you gave him a roasting. Love it 😅

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    That's a great story. Hope you gave him a roasting. Love it 😅
    Of course, I tried to remain as professional about it as he was. Still bumped into him from time to time up until a couple of years ago.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Frank MParland apparently close to quitting TheRangers due to frustrations with budget constraints according to the Sun.

Left by mutual consent!
    The BDO action on Duff and Phelps for gratuitous alienation of assets could be the final coffin nail if the claim succeeds. Will put another material uncertainty in the Sevco accounts, and cause any party considering soft loans to rethink. Could be the whole lot goes under the hammer and the proceeds given to BDO. Who would think a 5m deal that quickly raised 22m via an IPO and was valued at 60m in the first set of accounts had any whiff about it. Sevco looks a doomed enterprise to me. The autopsy will reveal multiple causes of death.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackLadd View Post
    The BDO action on Duff and Phelps for gratuitous alienation of assets could be the final coffin nail if the claim succeeds. Will put another material uncertainty in the Sevco accounts, and cause any party considering soft loans to rethink. Could be the whole lot goes under the hammer and the proceeds given to BDO. Who would think a 5m deal that quickly raised 22m via an IPO and was valued at 60m in the first set of accounts had any whiff about it. Sevco looks a doomed enterprise to me. The autopsy will reveal multiple causes of death.
    Can't see that the BDO action will have any effect on the Rangers accounts, or their financial situation.

The claim is against D&P. If it succeeds, it will probably be met by their PII.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 10-02-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackLadd View Post
    I doubt it will have any consequences for new Rangers.