hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What is your attitude to a new "Rangers" entering at Div1?

Voters
1004. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opposed - and will walk away from Scottish professional football

533 53.09%
  • Opposed - but will continue to support the game.

447 44.52%
  • In favour.

24 2.39%
Page 1011 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 11511911961100110091010101110121013102110611111 ... LastLast
Results 30,301 to 30,330 of 44390
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't Rangers' and SDM's defence on this quite simply that at the time they thought they were using a legal loophole for avoiding tax which has subsequntly been proven to not be legit?

The only cloud over that would be the use of side letters to players not disclosed to authorities which would suggest they knew they had something to hide.

Either way Rangers fans should know that SDM is more culpable for their demise than whyte.
    Side letters stated money given was a loan.
    This was a safety net,in case of prying eyes.
    It would appear the weight of those prying eyes has ripped the net apart.
    There is now no questioning the facts!
    Players earnings registered with the SFA differed from there real earnings!!!
    Its worth saying that again.
    "PLAYERS EARNINGS REGISTERED WITH THE SFA DIFFERED FROM THERE REAL EARNINGS"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Glesgahibby View Post
    Side letters stated money given was a loan.
    This was a safety net,in case of prying eyes.
    It would appear the weight of those prying eyes has ripped the net apart.
    There is now no questioning the facts!
    Players earnings registered with the SFA differed from there real earnings!!!
    Its worth saying that again.
    "PLAYERS EARNINGS REGISTERED WITH THE SFA DIFFERED FROM THERE REAL EARNINGS"
    That last part is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I couldn't see the post as it's too lofty up there on it's moral high-ground.
    Indeed and when coupled with Hearts blogger Matt Leslie regularly churning out Mental Phil inspired puff pieces venting his moral outrage at Rangers whilst his own club left a trail of burned creditors including the taxman the hypocrisy was all just simply too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    They couldn't sue OldCo. It's in liquidation. They couldn't even lodge a claim now.

Suing the SFA could have major financial repercussions for the game in general.
    Exactly why the SFA have to act.
    The can of worms has been opened and the SFA has to protect itself.
    They could argue "they were duped"but would still have to be seen as taking some sort of action against the guilty party.

When does a "tax avoidance scheme" become tax evasion. Tax evasion is a criminal offence. It seems here that the EBT scheme was evading tax but nobody gets prosecuted because it seems that people didn't know it was illegal. In all other areas, ignorance of the law is no defence. Doesn't seem to apply in financial matters. the people who set up and carried the EBT scheme through are still about and no doubt benefitting from their ill gotten gains.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunswickbill View Post
    When does a "tax avoidance scheme" become tax evasion. Tax evasion is a criminal offence. It seems here that the EBT scheme was evading tax but nobody gets prosecuted because it seems that people didn't know it was illegal. In all other areas, ignorance of the law is no defence. Doesn't seem to apply in financial matters. the people who set up and carried the EBT scheme through are still about and no doubt benefitting from their ill gotten gains.
    A few points:-

1. in common parlance, avoidance becomes evasion when the line of criminality is crossed.

2. even although there is underpayment of tax, but no criminality, there are still hefty financial penalties on the perps. So there is no "scot-free".

3. as to whether such a scam is criminal, the normal test is whether the perps set out to defraud HMRC. That is very difficult to prove.

4. people (not just you) are talking about "ignorance of the law". The fact is, there was no law against EBT's at the time RFC operated them. They were a means by which many companies reduced their tax liability, a means that has since been closed-off. However, at that time, they were legal. It is only relatively recently that HMRC has challenged the way in which they were operated in certain circumstances, on the grounds that they undermined existing laws.

I would therefore contend, m'lud, that it wasn't necessarily ignorance. It was lack of foresight that HMRC might not like the scheme. That's not a crime IMO.

5. as for the people "benefitting from their ill-gotten gains".....that will be the players. Not sure that anyone else actually benefited. The club went bust, SDM got a £1 for all his "efforts", but it is the players that have "gotten away with it".
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 05-11-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Exactly why the SFA have to act.
    The can of worms has been opened and the SFA has to protect itself.
    They could argue "they were duped"but would still have to be seen as taking some sort of action against the guilty party.
    But who can they act against?

The guilty party, as you put it, is no more. The major players have departed the scene. Suing the current owners would get nowhere. Other than a Livi-type action against the current company, there's not a lot they can do.

But who can they act against?

The guilty party, as you put it, is no more. The major players have departed the scene. Suing the current owners would get nowhere. Other than a Livi-type action against the current company, there's not a lot they can do.
    Sorry mate,I'll make my point clearer.
    If the SFA lawyers find that the SFA could be liable then they would need to act.
    taking action against oldco would pass the buck and so end the issue of liability regarding the SFA.
    i know the guilty party is no more but the SFA can still punish them

Sorry mate,I'll make my point clearer.
    If the SFA lawyers find that the SFA could be liable then they would need to act.
    taking action against oldco would pass the buck and so end the issue of liability regarding the SFA.
    i know the guilty party is no more but the SFA can still punish them
    Okay, I get you.

Not sure they can punish OldCo, as they are in liquidation and can't "accept" any more claims, but I understand that that would be the SFA's way of saying "well, we did what we could".

1. in common parlance, avoidance becomes evasion when the line of criminality is crossed.

2. even although there is underpayment of tax, but no criminality, there are still hefty financial penalties on the perps. So there is no "scot-free".

3. as to whether such a scam is criminal, the normal test is whether the perps set out to defraud HMRC. That is very difficult to prove.

4. people (not just you) are talking about "ignorance of the law". The fact is, there was no law against EBT's at the time RFC operated them. They were a means by which many companies reduced their tax liability, a means that has since been closed-off. However, at that time, they were legal. It is only relatively recently that HMRC has challenged the way in which they were operated in certain circumstances, on the grounds that they undermined existing laws.

I would therefore contend, m'lud, that it wasn't necessarily ignorance. It was lack of foresight that HMRC might not like the scheme. That's not a crime IMO.

5. as for the people "benefitting from their ill-gotten gains".....that will be the players. Not sure that anyone else actually benefited. The club went bust, SDM got a £1 for all his "efforts", but it is the players that have "gotten away with it".
    I think that you are heading for elevation to the bench.

If the EBTs were set up as loans and they have been shown to be a sham, is there not a possibility of having the loans repaid. Presumably this would go to the old co and creditors and HMRC would be compensated

Okay, I get you.

Not sure they can punish OldCo, as they are in liquidation and can't "accept" any more claims, but I understand that that would be the SFA's way of saying "well, we did what we could".
    Forgot to say liability would end once SFA acted.
    without racing to far ahead,if they did punish oldco without involving newco with any correspondence,would this be an admittance of a new football club?

Quote Originally Posted by Brunswickbill View Post
    I think that you are heading for elevation to the bench.

If the EBTs were set up as loans and they have been shown to be a sham, is there not a possibility of having the loans repaid. Presumably this would go to the old co and creditors and HMRC would be compensated
    That's the point about the latest judgement, though. The payments are not loans, they're remuneration. So they aren't repayable.

In any event, the so - called loans weren't from the company. They were made from the individual trusts that RFC paid into.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Forgot to say liability would end once SFA acted.
    without racing to far ahead,if they did punish oldco without involving newco with any correspondence,would this be an admittance of a new football club?
    I think it would be admittance of the SFA having no balls :)

Blog Entries

You're correct of course Crops that EBT's were legal but IIRC the intent was that the funds placed in an EBT were only intended to be distributed at a later date, eg on retirement. Again IIRC Oldco did not comply with this requirement but rather were distributing funds about as regularly as Yams were paying wages! If a company does not comply with the requirements of a legal scheme does that then make the application illegal? This is more of a generic question as I realise HMRC objected to EBT's partly because the scheme was so vague.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    His replies to questions at the end of the blog are more entertaining than the blog itself. Many seem to have little basis in reality. He does the exact same thing he accuses the Scottish media of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    His replies to questions at the end of the blog are more entertaining than the blog itself. Many seem to have little basis in reality. He does the exact same thing he accuses the Scottish media of doing.
    Do you think this is the sort of person that likes the sound of their own voice ?

I may be wrong -not unusual these days-but I haven't seen it commented on anywhere that Rangers are stating that this year and the next they intend to run the business on the basis that expenditure will not be covered by income-not a huge selling point for a rights issue being underwritten.

Think I read somewhere that there are around 5,000 EBT cases in the UK awaiting some sort of resolution which in most cases will be a deal rather than a prosecution.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post
    Do you think this is the sort of person that likes the sound of their own voice ?
    I think he moderates anything challenging.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post
    I don't know about that, but his piece on Rangers accounts was highly amusing. Wrong in so very many ways.

Pretty much sums it up as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I've read this guy before / don't know if he has an agenda but hard to disagree with any of his points.

@hibs.net private member

and David Murray who got £6m +

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This contains a lot of arguments and even phrases from other blogs and websites. This guy is becoming less impressive every day.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Simultaneously an excellent & depressing read
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I don't really care if it's come from a yam, it's a good point in my opinion and I'd love to see any response to it from the SPFL.
    There's no way that Rangers will be deducted points for this as the club that committed the fraud is in liquidation. What IMO would be funny would be the SPFL coming out and telling us why Rangers aren't going to receive a points deduction i.e they're not the same club.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Devonhibs's Avatar
    Probably the best article on the whole saga
    "Home advantage gives you an advantage" Sir Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    There's no way that Rangers will be deducted points for this as the club that committed the fraud is in liquidation. What IMO would be funny would be the SPFL coming out and telling us why Rangers aren't going to receive a points deduction i.e they're not the same club.
    It's not the club that's in liquidation, remember. It's the company that owned the club.

Whether or not they get a points deduction may depend on the precise details of the 5 way agreement. Maybe one day we'll get to see that :)

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It's not the club that's in liquidation, remember. It's the company that owned the club.

Whether or not they get a points deduction may depend on the precise details of the 5 way agreement. Maybe one day we'll get to see that :)

Would that not suggest that they are the same club? If so why did they have to start again in division 3?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Would that not suggest that they are the same club? If so why did they have to start again in division 3?
    Because the other clubs voted that way.