hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Sports

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Sky Sports

Sky Sports
    Interesting to read a run down of how many times each club has featured on Sky Sports this season to date. I subscribed for a couple years way back about 20 years ago but quickly realised what a total waste of money it was.

1 - Celtic 16
    2 - Rangers 13
    3 - Aberdeen 6
    4 - Hearts 4
    5 - Ross County 4
    6 - St Mirren 4
    7 - Kilmarnock 3
    8 - Livingston 3
    9 - Motherwell 3
    10 - St Johnstone 3
    11 - Hibs 2
    12 - Dundee 1

Just an outlet to broadcast Old Firm away games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Yepp. That’s literally all it is.

How many non old firm games have featured this season?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sky Sports
    Interesting to read a run down of how many times each club has featured on Sky Sports this season to date. I subscribed for a couple years way back about 20 years ago but quickly realised what a total waste of money it was.

1 - Celtic 16
    2 - Rangers 13
    3 - Aberdeen 6
    4 - Hearts 4
    5 - Ross County 4
    6 - St Mirren 4
    7 - Kilmarnock 3
    8 - Livingston 3
    9 - Motherwell 3
    10 - St Johnstone 3
    11 - Hibs 2
    12 - Dundee 1

Just an outlet to broadcast Old Firm away games.
    IPTV is your friend.

@hibs.net private member
    I wonder how many viewers they got for the Livi/M'well game the night of the derby

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    A wise yin once said: “The revolution will not be televised”
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    A wise yin once said: “The revolution will not be televised”
    And a wiser yin said “you’ll get it on the firestick!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    I wonder how many viewers they got for the Livi/M'well game the night of the derby
    Can you imagine Sky showing Brentford v Burnley instead of Everyon v Liverpool?

They are a cancer on our gane

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Yepp. That’s literally all it is.

How many non old firm games have featured this season?
    4 I think

1st match - 25th December 1875,
    I presume by quite a few years the oldest top flight football derby on the planet.

It's 2024! and by legal means if you don't get a ticket for Easter road or Tynecastle.
    your only option is listen to it on the radio, ( wi some jambo fud) lol

Nice one sky, f'n bell ends.
    Last edited by seanshow; 05-03-2024 at 07:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Not sticking up for Sky here but the clubs didn’t help the situation with the package they agreed with Sky, which limits the number of games per ground each season.

Sky will naturally want the biggest audience so they focus on Rangers and Celtic away each week, for the top teams that is 4 games at home, which i think is the limit (or close to the limit).

The clubs did that to protect their matchday income, I’m not sure by how much the attendance decrease if the game is on TV but i guess they must to enough of a degree that clubs don’t want the cameras there all the time.

It feels like we’re massively missing a trick though - each club’s season has its own story that their fans will want to follow, and to have camera black outs for games like the Derby is such a massive own goal for the league and the clubs - and the broadcaster, themselves who end up having to show a game which has extraordinarily low appeal to those outside of the two clubs’ own supporters.

The clubs should be pushing for better when the deal is next up and should be looking for a broadcasting partner than can at the very least stream every game across the league so people have the choice.

For many folk, away games are a struggle but things like IPTV have been a Godsend as it means they can watch the games, but they have to break the law to do it, they pay money that ends to who knows where, with no tax paid on it etc and they have to hope the stream works well enough or the sound matches the picture and so on.

Whereas we could have an agreement where a reasonable subscription gets you the games you want to see in broadcast quality, a reliable picture, where the club benefits from the income. Those that go to games will still go to games, it’s a distant second best watching the game at home to going to the game, and plenty folk will still use Firesticks to watch illegally, but also plenty folk prefer not to break the law to watch football, don’t begrudge a reasonably priced offering- especially if the club benefits.

It’s a miles better option than Old Firm TV which is basically what we’ve got now.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    not sticking up for sky here but the clubs didn’t help the situation with the package they agreed with sky, which limits the number of games per ground each season.

Sky will naturally want the biggest audience so they focus on rangers and celtic away each week, for the top teams that is 4 games at home, which i think is the limit (or close to the limit).

The clubs did that to protect their matchday income, i’m not sure by how much the attendance decrease if the game is on tv but i guess they must to enough of a degree that clubs don’t want the cameras there all the time.

It feels like we’re massively missing a trick though - each club’s season has its own story that their fans will want to follow, and to have camera black outs for games like the derby is such a massive own goal for the league and the clubs - and the broadcaster, themselves who end up having to show a game which has extraordinarily low appeal to those outside of the two clubs’ own supporters.

The clubs should be pushing for better when the deal is next up and should be looking for a broadcasting partner than can at the very least stream every game across the league so people have the choice.

For many folk, away games are a struggle but things like iptv have been a godsend as it means they can watch the games, but they have to break the law to do it, they pay money that ends to who knows where, with no tax paid on it etc and they have to hope the stream works well enough or the sound matches the picture and so on.

Whereas we could have an agreement where a reasonable subscription gets you the games you want to see in broadcast quality, a reliable picture, where the club benefits from the income. Those that go to games will still go to games, it’s a distant second best watching the game at home to going to the game, and plenty folk will still use firesticks to watch illegally, but also plenty folk prefer not to break the law to watch football, don’t begrudge a reasonably priced offering- especially if the club benefits.

It’s a miles better option than old firm tv which is basically what we’ve got now.
    tl; dr.

Could they not scrap the 4 games per ground per season rule and just say that at least 20 or 25% of games shown must be non OF?

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Could they not scrap the 4 games per ground per season rule and just say that at least 20 or 25% of games shown must be non OF?
    To be honest I prefer no Hibs games to be live on sky, means normal kick off times, so will mean I can go to most games...

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Sky are a disgrace in the way that they treat our game: next to no marketing, careless mistakes (i.e. have the Dundee Utd badge on screen when talking about Dundee etc). It's as if the SPFL are a chore for them.

However, from my purely selfish perspective as a match going supporter; I prefer that we've not been on TV very often this season so the kick off times haven't been pissed about with.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Seems there is 700K Sky sports subscribers in Scotland, that is a lot of money sky gets for a crap service.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFoo...e_is_shocking/

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    It's 2024! and by legal means if you don't get a ticket for Easter road or Tynecastle.
    your only option is listen to it on the radio
    Was it not on Hearts PPV?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    They could put that on the table, but I'm not sure that's appealing for Sky or whoever else picks it up.

I do think it's incredibly short sighted from both the broadcasters and the league negotiating the deal, though. You want the game to grow, it benefits everyone and there are some great games in the league - different standard from the Premiership in England, granted, but you only need to look at results this weekend to see some great stories, and all they showed was Hearts v Celtic.

The way to grow the game is to showcase it properly, we're miles off that at the moment and that's on the clubs as much as it's on the broadcasters.

Putting the games on TV won't stop the folk who go to games going to them, in fact over time I reckon it would grow attendances because people get to see what they're missing. The Premiership in England certainly doesn't seem to be lacking bums on seats.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Was it not on Hearts PPV?
    The derby last week was on Hearts PPV, the previous derby at the PBS wasn't due to the 3pm UK TV blackout. If you couldn't get a ticket you could only watch it in the UK via IPTV or Hibs TV International with a VPN.

Matty nailed it. We need a broadcast PARTNER. Someone prepared and willing to invest the time and content to our clubs.

I'm not sure if that's solely Doncaster responsibility but there needs to be far greater scope when we seek our next deal

I sent in a complaint to Sky about this suggest that everyone on here does as well. I threatened to cancel my Sky Sports if they do not rectify this issue.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Can you imagine Sky showing Brentford v Burnley instead of Everyon v Liverpool?

They are a cancer on our gane
    No. The Ugly Sisters are the cancer on our game. Sky are the parasite that lives on that cancer.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    The Edinburgh Derby has a huge appeal, and maybe not always for the right reasons as we saw the other night, but no one can deny it’s a powder keg fixture, with big away crowds in attendance and an occasion that’s tense, nervy and usually with plenty controversy. I don’t watch much football on TV but this is the type of fixture that would draw me in.

Any TV deal that decides such matches to be not worthy of coverage is obviously a hugely flawed one. If there is a genuine will to promote our game in Scotland and show that there’s more to Scottish football than the Old Firm, yet repeatedly ignore a box office fixture, then those in office are shirking their responsibilities towards the greater good of the game.

It’s more or less an admission that they’re not really interested in anyone apart from the Old Firm.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    I sent in a complaint to Sky about this suggest that everyone on here does as well. I threatened to cancel my Sky Sports if they do not rectify this issue.
    Cancel it and get a dodgy Firestick. They’re not gonna change.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The Edinburgh Derby has a huge appeal, and maybe not always for the right reasons as we saw the other night, but no one can deny it’s a powder keg fixture, with big away crowds in attendance and an occasion that’s tense, nervy and usually with plenty controversy. I don’t watch much football on TV but this is the type of fixture that would draw me in.

Any TV deal that decides such matches to be not worthy of coverage is obviously a hugely flawed one. If there is a genuine will to promote our game in Scotland and show that there’s more to Scottish football than the Old Firm, yet repeatedly ignore a box office fixture, then those in office are shirking their responsibilities towards the greater good of the game.

It’s more or less an admission that they’re not really interested in anyone apart from the Old Firm.
    Spot on here. Short term the Sky deal might bring in the most money but it’s doing nothing to grow our game. I’m sold IPTV and likely never pay for the likes of Sky ever again (even if IPTV gets clamped down on eventually), buy outwith Hibs games I would much rather watch the likes of Aberdeen, Killi and St Mirren playing each other then any pish game involving the old firm and the biased refereeing that goes with them.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Growing the game here needs more done than sky sports. Just look at the difference between match of the day and Sportscene, one actively promotes all teams and their exciting league and the other is old firm bias. Scottish football needs to promote itself in a much better manner but because it is so ingrained in the rangers it will never do anything worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Seems there is 700K Sky sports subscribers in Scotland, that is a lot of money sky gets for a crap service.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFoo...e_is_shocking/
    They’re not all subscribing for Scottish football though are they? Plenty won’t care

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Not sticking up for Sky here but the clubs didn’t help the situation with the package they agreed with Sky, which limits the number of games per ground each season.

Sky will naturally want the biggest audience so they focus on Rangers and Celtic away each week, for the top teams that is 4 games at home, which i think is the limit (or close to the limit).

The clubs did that to protect their matchday income, I’m not sure by how much the attendance decrease if the game is on TV but i guess they must to enough of a degree that clubs don’t want the cameras there all the time.

It feels like we’re massively missing a trick though - each club’s season has its own story that their fans will want to follow, and to have camera black outs for games like the Derby is such a massive own goal for the league and the clubs - and the broadcaster, themselves who end up having to show a game which has extraordinarily low appeal to those outside of the two clubs’ own supporters.

For many folk, away games are a struggle but things like IPTV have been a Godsend as it means they can watch the games, but they have to break the law to do it, they pay money that ends to who knows where, with no tax paid on it etc and they have to hope the stream works well enough or the sound matches the picture and so on.

Whereas we could have an agreement where a reasonable subscription gets you the games you want to see in broadcast quality, a reliable picture, where the club benefits from the income. Those that go to games will still go to games, it’s a distant second best watching the game at home to going to the game, and plenty folk will still use Firesticks to watch illegally, but also plenty folk prefer not to break the law to watch football, don’t begrudge a reasonably priced offering- especially if the club benefits.

It’s a miles better option than Old Firm TV which is basically what we’ve got now.
    with his background Ron would definately have a view - wonder if anyone got his thoughts - suppose he’s in the business of selling TV rights.

Sky must know toughly the numbers watching illegally. As long as it means viewers for advertising I’m imagining that’s the key thing.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I'm surprised they don't even bother to do a Sportscene type highlights programme.

Folk moan about kick of times being changed to suit TV, folk moan we're not on TV enough. Can't win

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Folk moan about kick of times being changed to suit TV, folk moan we're not on TV enough. Can't win
    Yeh I’m glad we are not in the tv as it makes people more likely go to the game with 3 pm kick off times.