hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan Vente

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar

Dylan Vente

So what's happened to this guy. When he first came into the team every shot he had ended up with a goal. Now he simply cannot get a game. Today we bring on 37 year old Adam Le Fondre and Vente stays on the bench. Does Monty not fancy him, or play into his style. Is he simply not good enough? Bizarre for a player we spent £700k on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what's happened to this guy. When he first came into the team every shot he had ended up with a goal. Now he simply cannot get a game. Today we bring on 37 year old Adam Le Fondre and Vente stays on the bench. Does Monty not fancy him, or play into his style. Is he simply not good enough? Bizarre for a player we spent £700k on.
    Monty has never played him in his proper position as a penalty box striker

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    5 goals from his first 5 shots was never going to be sustainable. He works hard but doesn’t seem to have the all round game suited to playing up front in his own. A good player but why we would spend £700k on someone who can finish, but not able to create his own chances or bring others into play, like Nisbet could, is another poor, disjointed, signing.

Money he cost aside, probably 3rd choice for playing up on his own.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He’ll be away in the summer imo. Hasn’t worked, being played out of position for three months and is now second fiddle to a guy on loan.

I’d love him to start banging them in but I don’t see where it’s coming from.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    This 👍

The guy scored 20+ in back to back seasons in Holland and the second he came in the door he looked a goal threat, so I refuse to believe the guy isn't good enough. In fact it was one of the few positives under LJ before he left that if he could get the ball up there and Vente got a sniff at goal he would score it.

Since NM has come in however he has played literally anywhere but in the penalty box. Surely part of the interview process was how do you plan to use the players we have currently especially if we've forked out a heavy amount for him?

Bringing Jair on instead of Vente is absurd and worries me yet further about NM. Jair ran about like a headless chicken and showed zero promise of producing anything noteworthy and not for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    The guy scored 20+ in back to back seasons in Holland and the second he came in the door he looked a goal threat, so I refuse to believe the guy isn't good enough. In fact it was one of the few positives under LJ before he left that if he could get the ball up there and Vente got a sniff at goal he would score it.

Since NM has come in however he has played literally anywhere but in the penalty box. Surely part of the interview process was how do you plan to use the players we have currently especially if we've forked out a heavy amount for him?
    I know it’s been mentioned loads of time but, IMO, it was never sustainable for him to keep scoring given the lack of efforts on goal.

Before Johnson got the bullet, he’d had two shots on goal and both had went in. Then he scored with his first three shots on goal under Montgomery when he came in, you can’t keep doing that.

I just don’t think he’s done enough and we’ve looked more of a threat in the last two and a half games with him out the team. He did score plenty goals for his team in Holland but I think it’s more difficult to score in our league than the Dutch second division. And it’s a totally different way of playing.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 17-02-2024 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He’ll be away in the summer imo. Hasn’t worked, being played out of position for three months and is now second fiddle to a guy on loan.

I’d love him to start banging them in but I don’t see where it’s coming from.
    nah the manager will be gone by the summer and he will come good under someone that can play to the strengths of the team.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Bringing Jair on instead of Vente is absurd and worries me yet further about NM. Jair ran about like a headless chicken and showed zero promise of producing anything noteworthy and not for the first time.
    Has Vente looked like creating much when he’s played recently?

People wanted to go with three in the midfield, I get why and we look better that way, the problem is when we do that, we only have one up front. If we’re playing one up front, that doesn’t suit Vente either. If he’d come on, I feel pretty confident he wouldn’t have offered very much either.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

For me is an absolute must and possibly first question to qualify out what we don’t need.
    If that’s not part of the interview process it’s no wonder we go round in circles.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I'm pretty sure he described himself as a striker who likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender when he arrived. Whens the last time we scored a goal from someone slipping a pass through a defence? We're not setting up to play to his strengths

Headless chicken sums up Jair perfectly. Clearly Jair plays off the cuff. Cannot control a ball and one of the most selfish players I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Mind you, Youan runs him a close second.

Vente on the other hand has quality. He comes looking for the ball a lot and plays most of his stuff outside of the box. Nothing like the way he played in Dutch football and clearly carrying out instructions by Montgomery.

Vente and Jair both encompass up all that is wrong with Montgomery. Failing to play a quality player in his correct position and not getting the best out of him (Vente). Then handing an imposter a Hibs jersey to wear (Jair).

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

People wanted to go with three in the midfield, I get why and we look better that way, the problem is when we do that, we only have one up front. If we’re playing one up front, that doesn’t suit Vente either. If he’d come on, I feel pretty confident he wouldn’t have offered very much either.
    Ventes barely been used as a centre forward since the manager finally admitted his mistake and played 433. Would rather he was tried than the completely out of his depth Jair.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

It’s not just about goals for me. You need someone who can occupy centre halves and make something happen. I think we’ve seen that with Maolida in the last couple of games, with his goal last week and assist today. He’s not getting chances created for him left right and centre but he’s impacting games (although I didn’t think he was great today).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Headless chicken sums up Jair perfectly. Clearly Jair plays off the cuff. Cannot control a ball and one of the most selfish players I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Mind you, Youan runs him a close second.

Vente on the other hand has quality. He comes looking for the ball a lot and plays most of his stuff outside of the box. Nothing like the way he played in Dutch football and clearly carrying out instructions by Montgomery.

Vente and Jair both encompass up all that is wrong with Montgomery. Failing to play a quality player in his correct position and not getting the best out of him (Vente). Then handing an imposter a Hibs jersey to wear (Jair).
    100 per cent

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    +1 - round nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Partyraiser View Post
    I'm pretty sure he described himself as a striker who likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender when he arrived. Whens the last time we scored a goal from someone slipping a pass through a defence? We're not setting up to play to his strengths
    Spot on, and I said at the time that this was worrying and that he certainly wouldn't get those opportunities playing for Hibs.

I wasn't wrong.

That sounds like vente for the past few months

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I know it’s been mentioned loads of time but, IMO, it was never sustainable for him to keep scoring given the lack of efforts on goal.

Before Johnson got the bullet, he’d had two shots on goal and both had went in. Then he scored with his first three shots on goal under Montgomery when he came in, you can’t keep doing that.

I just don’t think he’s done enough and we’ve looked more of a threat in the last two and a half games with him out the team. He did score plenty goals for his team in Holland but I think it’s more difficult to score in our league than the Dutch second division. And it’s a totally different way of playing.
    Perhaps you're right that the 1 goal per shot ratio would die off. I would expect that to be honest unless he was one of the best scorers of goals ever seen.

What we've never really done is identify how we can get him to have about 3 shots a game. Miovski averages 2.8 shots a game, Shankland 3.6. Both can miss a chance because they feel as though, on the whole, another chance is coming round the corner to bury and that's proven in their goal tallies this season. Meanwhile Vente is still averaging just the one all season. It must be dire in his mind to be in a situation where he feels he HAS to take the one chance, whatever it may look like, because he isn't getting anything else.

Perhaps his overall play is to blame for the lack of chances as well, but it's beggars belief that you pay this amount of money in our league for a goalscorer and don't create the ideal conditions in which to score goals. It's football 101 to play to your players strengths or sign players that fit your plan on how to play.

Either we signed him based on just his goal scoring record alone, hired a manager with zero regard to how his philosophy would work with him (including other players we've just spent probably north of £1.5m for if you include Youan and Levitt), or we actually did do all our homework on the compatibility of Vente and Montgomery and we've gotten it drastically wrong, again. Either way it points to horrendously bad joined up thinking and decision makers not capable of making the right decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post
    He's a poacher

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He’s nowhere near good enough. Myziane and Boyle haven’t exactly struggled to find the net as of late. A complete waste of money.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

For all Monty may appear to have weaknesses, he does appear to be decisive. Some players he fancies (Levitt, contrary to all available evidence being one) and some he really doesn’t (Vente and Hanlon being amongst those).

These are big calls, upon which he’ll sink or swim. I’m not convinced I’m on the same page as him at all but fair play to him making these decisions. Our football has been abject for long periods this season and the manager wasn’t going to fix it without ruffling feathers or making big calls on either experienced or expensive players.

Left by mutual consent!
    I just think his confidence is shot to pieces just now. He needs to have a bit time out to regain his mojo.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Vente looked like a 20 goal a season striker when he wasn't actually fit. Surely it's down to Monty what's happened since.

He hasn’t even looked like getting an attempt on target lately never mind scoring

The ball isn’t falling for him and he also isn’t creating something out of nothing.

Rightly benched and we look better for it

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    He's a poacher
    Sadly just being a poacher these days isn’t enough. For 700k+ we needed a striker that could do it all at our level and that’s not what Vente can offer.

I do find it curious that he’s not even had a chance off the bench in the last two games. Maybe a wee falling out has happened.

He's played a lot of minutes for us as we have been so short of option up front. A bit of a rest will do him good now we have a few strikers available.

Perhaps you're right that the 1 goal per shot ratio would die off. I would expect that to be honest unless he was one of the best scorers of goals ever seen.

What we've never really done is identify how we can get him to have about 3 shots a game. Miovski averages 2.8 shots a game, Shankland 3.6. Both can miss a chance because they feel as though, on the whole, another chance is coming round the corner to bury and that's proven in their goal tallies this season. Meanwhile Vente is still averaging just the one all season. It must be dire in his mind to be in a situation where he feels he HAS to take the one chance, whatever it may look like, because he isn't getting anything else.

Perhaps his overall play is to blame for the lack of chances as well, but it's beggars belief that you pay this amount of money in our league for a goalscorer and don't create the ideal conditions in which to score goals. It's football 101 to play to your players strengths or sign players that fit your plan on how to play.

Either we signed him based on just his goal scoring record alone, hired a manager with zero regard to how his philosophy would work with him (including other players we've just spent probably north of £1.5m for if you include Youan and Levitt), or we actually did do all our homework on the compatibility of Vente and Montgomery and we've gotten it drastically wrong, again. Either way it points to horrendously bad joined up thinking and decision makers not capable of making the right decisions.
    I’m not saying it’s all down to him, I don’t think it is, but I just don’t think you can get away with being a centre forward in this league that isn’t going to give defenders a hard time or create something for himself. As I say if you look at Maolidas goal last week, he gets a bit of luck but he also works the space for himself in the first place. Similar today, he makes something out of a punt up the park to set Boyle up. I just don’t see Vente doing either and I don’t think we are, or ever will be, good enough to carry someone who is just a finisher.

Feel sorry for Vente. Hibs have turned a footballer into a headless chicken. He's best to move away, find a club that values and uses him properly (with a functioning midfield) and put this sorry time at Hibs behind him.