hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Hanlon

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Its fair to say Hanlon has not been flavour of the month, and i have certainly not been impressed by him for a long time, but he played well yesterday, as he has done in the past too. He now needs to do this every week, and if he does perhaps he can take his place permanently in the heart of the defence?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your on the wind up, good try
    Don't be a n0bber mate,PH had a great game yesterday,with reference to an early post,PH has been played at c/h and l/b but did you know that he was signed as a left midfield attacking player,which he has never had the chance to play,****ing source,the under 19,s team which he and Lewis Stevenson were part of,and by the way they got promoted to 1st team before they went on to win the double.SUPPORT THE TEAM YOU KN0BBER

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love the Green View Post
    Only for 50 years...and I have watched spoony since his season in the u19's did you?
    He had massive prospects when he was signed full time pro but has gone backwards since his debut season and if you cant see that then it is you who is no judge of a player.
    Very laboured for a young sportsman who trains dailly...not good enoiught to play regularly..

"keep the faith"
    I agree totaly how many decent games has he had ,but somehow plays on regular basis beets me.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I've been very critical of Hanlon and with good reason too imho.

Yes, it's hard to play well when you're surrounded by wasters with poor ability but whilst Hanlon's a young lad, he's played well over 100 games for us by now I would imagine. At his development and with his exposure to first team football over the past 3/4 years, he shouldn't require an experienced head to bring out his best form.......he himself should be absolutely dominating strikers with his experience and shouting the others through the game.

Whilst not a meaningful comparison by any stretch, I spent most of my time up front whilst playing football. The first game I got told I was centre-back I made sure every defender around me knew their job, held their line and most importantly I f*****g halved their striker with the first 50/50 to set the tone. Gave away a free-kick for it but that's irrelevant, it set the tone.

As mentioned earlier, he needs to hit the gym and the protein shakes, take a few brave pills and be ten times more vocal than he is. If you can't marshal a defence with footballing ability, sure as hell make sure you do by being intimidating, lion-hearted and aggressive. John Terry is the perfect example of that, I don't rate him at all as a technical footballer but boy can that laddie defend as if his life depends on it.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I only saw the highlights so possibly not the best placed to pass comment but there was one moment in particluar where D looked like he was running through treacle - Killie were attacking down their right, the ball had gone by Kujabi and their winger picked up the ball on the touchline. Wotherspoon was running back but he looked as if there was no urgency whatsoever to stop the cross or make a block.

Thought he looked good going forward yesterday, and whipped in a couple of cracking crosses.
    I know exactly the attack you are referring to and he looked like he couldnt be a*sed tracking back, he just sauntered towards the player, I was raging, it was right in front of me. I agree he looks slugish, needs to have more urgency and make an effort to get on top of the boy and try stop the cross. He did however look fairly decent going forward most of the time, still think he will drop out for Claros, him or Spoony.

As for PH getting stick from posters well I think its been justified up until Saturdays performance and ive been just as critical of him, but cant take away he played well on Saturday. He needs to take this on and do it every week and prove me and alot of other people wrong, time will tell on this one.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    If you look over the season Paul is the only one of our centre backs who's a threat at our corner kicks and set pieces

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    If you look over the season Paul is the only one of our centre backs who's a threat at our corner kicks and set pieces
    And when did he or anyone else last score from one of them? Not very threating is he

Agree about Hanlon - played very well

As for young David, his form is very worrying. He lost his 'engine' at the end of last season and has been laboured in his running ever since. His tackling is very poor for a young midfielder and most of the time backs off rather than committing to a 1 on 1. He seems very once paced, with a long loping stride rather than the short stride a midfielder needs. It's almost like he has worked on bulk at the expense of sprint speed.

He's a local laddie to us (Bridge of Earn) and my youngest Cammy plays the same position and has D's name on the back of his shirt. Cam reckons DW's not suited to midfield - he reckonhs David doesn't close down, has poor pace and no defensive capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post

As for young David, his form is very worrying. He lost his 'engine' at the end of last season and has been laboured in his running ever since. His tackling is very poor for a young midfielder and most of the time backs off rather than committing to a 1 on 1. He seems very once paced, with a long loping stride rather than the short stride a midfielder needs. It's almost like he has worked on bulk at the expense of sprint speed.

He's a local laddie to us (Bridge of Earn) and my youngest Cammy plays the same position and has D's name on the back of his shirt. Cam reckons DW's not suited to midfield - he reckonhs David doesn't close down, has poor pace and no defensive capability.

What a piss poor addition to this thread that is. Small positive statement about Hanlon then another verbal bashing for your favourite whipping boy.

This isn't a thread about Wotherspoon, give it a rest man.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post

What a piss poor addition to this thread that is. Small positive statement about Hanlon then another verbal bashing for your favourite whipping boy.

This isn't a thread about Wotherspoon, give it a rest man.
    The chap is allowed to put his point over ,thread or no thread truth hurts,

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanton10 View Post
    The chap is allowed to put his point over ,thread or no thread truth hurts,

Whether we agree or disagree about Wotherspoon, this was a positive thread about Paul Hanlon. Why do posters feel the need to ruin it by putting negative posts about other players. If they are that desperate to comment on someone else why not set up another tread?

In this case he could have saved his comments for the Wotherspoon thread

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Whether we agree or disagree about Wotherspoon, this was a positive thread about Paul Hanlon. Why do posters feel the need to ruin it by putting negative posts about other players. If they are that desperate to comment on someone else why not set up another tread?

In this case he could have saved his comments for the Wotherspoon thread
    The poster in question has admitted on several occasions that he's a wind-up merchant and internet troll who isn't to be taken seriously.

Best ignored IMO.

He's a local laddie to us (Bridge of Earn) and my youngest Cammy plays the same position and has D's name on the back of his shirt. Cam reckons DW's not suited to midfield - he reckons David doesn't close down, has poor pace and no defensive capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post

What a piss poor addition to this thread that is. Small positive statement about Hanlon then another verbal bashing for your favourite whipping boy. This isn't a thread about Wotherspoon, give it a rest man.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Whether we agree or disagree about Wotherspoon, this was a positive thread about Paul Hanlon. Why do posters feel the need to ruin it by putting negative posts about other players. If they are that desperate to comment on someone else why not set up another thread? In this case he could have saved his comments for the Wotherspoon thread
    Wind yer necks in lads.

There had already been a number of posts on David on this thread and I was merely responding to those. Not only is David my favourite player (along with Lewis) as I stated clearly above he is also my son Cammy's favourite player. Cammy has Wotherspoon in letters on the back of his Hibs strip and met DW at Green Shoots training at East Mains. David is a Perth laddie whose family own a great wee restaurant at Bridge of Earn and my son-in law went to school with him. So he is the first player we look out for on a Saturday.

Whipping boy my ar se

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    The poster in question has admitted on several occasions that he's a wind-up merchant and internet troll who isn't to be taken seriously. Best ignored IMO.
    My comments were constructive on a player I have a lot of time for. How does that constitute winding up or trolling? Or is personal abuse the best contribution you can make?

I despair

Wind yer necks in lads.

There had already been a number of posts on David on this thread and I was merely responding to those. Not only is David my favourite player (along with Lewis) as I stated clearly above he is also my son Cammy's favourite player. Cammy has Wotherspoon in letters on the back of his Hibs strip and met DW at Green Shoots training at East Mains. David is a Perth laddie whose family own a great wee restaurant at Bridge of Earn and my son-in law went to school with him. So he is the first player we look out for on a Saturday.

Whipping boy my ar se

My comments were constructive on a player I have a lot of time for. How does that constitute winding up or trolling? Or is personal abuse the best contribution you can make?

I despair
    I think bawheid was referring to carnoustie nasty G
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Wind yer necks in lads.

Whipping boy my ar se

I despair
    Your comments are not constructive. You went out your way to criticise DW on a thread that has bugger all to do with him.
    But you've come out with this story before and the fact that your boy knows him, played with him, doesn't rate him, blah, blah, blah. We heard you the first time. Same as well with all that patronising 'Perth laddie' guff.

And why is yer boy running about with Wotherspoon on his back if he thinks he's that bowff? That sounds more than a bit sillyto me. Is he silly?

I blame the parents me.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar

I despair
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I think bawheid was referring to carnoustie nasty G
    Nah JC - I was referring to Gogs right enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Your comments are not constructive. You went out your way to criticise DW on a thread that has bugger all to do with him.
    But you've come out with this story before and the fact that your boy knows him, played with him, doesn't rate him, blah, blah, blah. We heard you the first time. Same as well with all that patronising 'Perth laddie' guff.

And why is yer boy running about with Wotherspoon on his back if he thinks he's that bowff? That sounds more than a bit sillyto me. Is he silly?

I blame the parents me.
    Yep. Remember this post Gogs?

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?2...=1#post3072386

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43
    I post on here free of shackles and take great delight in posting fibs, rumours and pash thus winding up those people who are daft enough to take the ramblings of an internet fool seriously.
    A quick search through your previous posts will show you on the one hand slagging off Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon, while on the other hand berating any Hibs fan who doesn't subscribe to your "I must jump around and sing like a loony to be a real Hibs supporter" philosophy. You've even talked about punching fellow Hibs fans in the face if they don't conform to your handbook on how to follow the club.

You pretty much admit above to being a troll so I'm not sure how you think I've personally abused you.

There was no need for your attack on Wotherspoon on this thread and I'm really not sure how it fits in with the uber-Hibernianite persona you like to portray the rest of the time. I agree with HH that it was also patronising...Perth laddie, nice wee family restaurant, etc.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to paint yourself as the internet fool, don't expect folk to take your views seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post

I blame the parents me.
    Cammy is a thirteen year old attacking midfielder and David is an attacking midfielder. Cam was playing right back in Green Shoots at East Mains when Spoony was playing right back for the first team. They are from the same neck of the woods. Some laddies have a football hero who players for Man U or Juve. Cam's a season ticket holder who has DW as his role model. I can't see anything wrong wi that myself

My lad is not silly - he's an intelligent footballer who studies the game and how our players play. He doesn't think DW's bowf. He did prefer him at full back though. When a player changes position from full back to midfield they need to learn how to adjust their playing style. Short sprints replace loping runs. Block tackles replace slide tackles. Pass and move, pass and move. If David is going to make a success of left or central mid he needs to work on the strengths and attributes of that role. If a thirteen year old can get that one on one guidance from 2 volunteer dad coaches on a Thursday night, why not at Hibs?

And as for my messageboard stalker searching through my previous posts to dig up a tongue in cheek offering - he displays a desire to be taken seriously. Each to their own I suppose but let's not pretend we can judge each other's character off the back of internet postings. I only ever get annoyed at abuse of our supporters, our players or our team. Everything else is just light-hearted banter.
    Last edited by RIP; 07-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.