hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you separate the club from the team, Andy? The club exists to put the team on the field. By this point two years ago - midway through Hughes' tenure - the signs of the team coming apart were apparent and obvious. But fans don't (or shouldn't turn on the manager for what may be no more than a temporary blip. By the end of that season, it was clear it was no blip. The new season confirmed that. The fact that crowds were holding up was more of a tribute to the fans' patience than to the masterful stewardship of owner, CEO and board, IMO. But MIXU has since said that when HE arrived at the club the atmosphere in the dressingroom was poisonous - the aftereffects of the rebellion against John Collins. The club has been rebounding from one problem/crisis to another since spring 2007 - nearly FIVE years - and all the time there's been a slow but steady decline in player quality and direction from the top.

The manager operates within a corporate structure that has its own ethos and atmosphere. For that the owner, chairman and board are responsible. The Hibs manager's job has been a poisoned chalice since Collins left so contentiously.

The fall ahsn't been 'quick and dramatic', Andy, it's been the slow accumulation of stresses and strains within the club culminating in the present crisis. What accident investigators call a 'cascade' - a series of problems, initially manageable, that increases in seriousness and frequency until the whole structure falls. I just hope that farmer and Petrie have caught this in time, because right now as far as I can see we're still in serious danger of relegation, we can't win a game in our own stadium, and we've just brought in a raft of short-term- and loan-signings who may or may not be good enough to turn results around.

So let's not split hairs - we're still up to our necks in the merde and it's the leadership of the club, Farmer, Petrie and the board they appointed, who've put us there. No one else in sight, Andy.
    Spot on Doddie , So the masterplan is to lull other clubs into a false sense of security and then come the transfer window we show them what we are really made of !. I hope it works but the whole thing smacks of panic buying again and we have been down that road how many times and we are no further forward. Fair do's if it turns things round but it aint no way to run a football club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Is it not the board who have got us down there in the first place? Whats to be thankful for they are only doing their duty (for once). Like someone else said they've not even kicked a ball yet for Hibs! Time for everyone to hold their horses methinks!!
    For once, how many times have they failed to back the manager???????

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    For once, how many times have they failed to back the manager???????
    They've always backed the Manager as much as they could, it's just we've had a few muppets in the post recently.

I would really like to know how we went about picking up this group of players compared to the previous windows.

That would end all this debate. More playing lucky dip or lessons learned?

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Is it not the board who have got us down there in the first place? Whats to be thankful for they are only doing their duty (for once). Like someone else said they've not even kicked a ball yet for Hibs! Time for everyone to hold their horses methinks!!
    Quite right. Stuff letting any positive energy build up amongst the support and therefore the club in general. Let's continue to self indulgently wallow in misery and negativity. Torn faced whingers know what's going on.
    Last edited by marinello59; 01-02-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    I would really like to know how we went about picking up this group of players compared to the previous windows.

Friday meetings in the Auld Brig wi Nutsy, Broon, and O'Brien are laying the foundations

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    They've always backed the Manager as much as they could, it's just we've had a few muppets in the post recently.
    You in Tamsons before Saturdays game pal, big Neil is coming up?

Left by mutual consent!
    You in Tamsons before Saturdays game pal, big Neil is coming up?
    Bears is woods ring a bell

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post

Took the blindfold off so we could seewhere the donkeys ass was. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post
    Sums up the situation perfectly.

From the night that Rob Jones and his possee rang Petrie's doorbell, things have gone from bad to worse.

Whether we stay in the SPL or get relegated, Petrie should be a distant memory by the start of next season.

I would say it may have happened before then, when players were requesting the pay rises they had said they were promised, which despite the cup win, signalled unrest & declining performances.

It could be total rubbish of course & invented by an agent trying to engineer a move for his clients, but what almost always comes to the fore, there is two sides of the coin and we very rarely get to the truth.

I'm very impressed by the fact that PF & BB has identified so many weaknesses and supported by the board, they have acted as ruthlessly as they did.
    Last edited by Ray_; 01-02-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Can't we just get on with looking forward and supporting the team?

We've got a game on Saturday. Let's all go

Bears is woods ring a bell

Friday meetings in the Auld Brig wi Nutsy, Broon, and O'Brien are laying the foundations
    Well I certainly believe we've got real live-and-breath football people in charge now. The speed at which some have been shipped out speaks volumes.

Left by mutual consent!
    The board once again have backed the man they put in charge, as they always do. They dont always get the right man, but they back whoever it is, is this wrong?
    No not wrong it is correct however I do not understand what he is being thanked for, PF has brought in some players as per his budget as I was expecting him to do. I will assume all the other directors of all other clubs also back their managers. Yes we have what appears to be a bigger budget than most and thats good but unless that has been increased or we have spent a big fee on a transfer which nobody has suggested we have then it is normal business within the set budget so whats to thank him for? We have had this 4th biggest budget for a while and the managers havent used it correctly, so PF uses some of this budget and RP is hailed bit strange IMO.

If any of these players are good or bad that is on PF as I think you have eluded to BH. This window says nothing new to me about board this is all 100% on PF we are now going to see what he has to offer us. I am hopefull he has done well.

Petrie brings in the managers he thinks we can afford (how many 100's of applications have we had over the years??). He also only backs the managers as far as his budgets are set. How do we know who the previous managers 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choices were that were poo pood by him?????
    It is selective backing at best, or in JC's case seriously under minding him.

Ok we have to live within our means, this I understand, but some people think that he is always 100% behind the managers, but this is clearly not true and he will always make decisions that will deflect, or pass on, any criticism away from himself.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    No not wrong it is correct however I do not understand what he is being thanked for, PF has brought in some players as per his budget as I was expecting him to do. I will assume all the other directors of all other clubs also back their managers. Yes we have what appears to be a bigger budget than most and thats good but unless that has been increased or we have spent a big fee on a transfer which nobody has suggested we have then it is normal business within the set budget so whats to thank him for? We have had this 4th biggest budget for a while and the managers havent used it correctly, so PF uses some of this budget and RP is hailed bit strange IMO.

If any of these players are good or bad that is on PF as I think you have eluded to BH. This window says nothing new to me about board this is all 100% on PF we are now going to see what he has to offer us. I am hopefull he has done well.
    I think that board are just being congratulated in general. When you consider some of the posts that were made about our lack of signings before the window even closed, I think a little back patting is not out of place.

People on here are quick enough to jump all over the players / the board / other fans at the drop of a hat. We've just finished what looks like a pretty decent transfer window and so some people are feeling optimistic and are being more positive with their outlook. Not everyone is though, mind you. Of course we need to see how these signings pan out but that's the next step. Can we not be happy about step one being completed successfully? I say "successfully" not in terms of player quality or ability but in terms of addressing the areas that need bolstering. This does not mean all is forgiven for the last 4 or 5 years but it seems like a damn good attempt to get us back on an even keel (IMO). For that I am thankful.

I have never heard so much negative BS in all my life.

The hibs club shop would do a roaring trade selling sandwich board signs (in Hibs colours if course) with the message the "the end is nigh" painted on them.

We dont need any oppostion on saturaday when we have so many people within the Hibs 'support' want to derail any small amount of encouragemnet and feelgood factor that we can muster.

And dont give me that its because we care so much we so negative pish!! Get a grip people we are battling to stay in the SPL and battling to stay financially viable in this current climate

If you cant stand the fact that we might even offer the team other fans and the board a wee bit of congratultions for some good activity durring the window then get your ar$e$ over to kickback. You find yourself in good company with bitter professional wallowers.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    I have never heard so much negative BS in all my life.

The hibs club shop would do a roaring trade selling sandwich board signs (in Hibs colours if course) with the message the "the end is nigh" painted on them.

We dont need any oppostion on saturaday when we have so many people within the Hibs 'support' want to derail any small amount of encouragemnet and feelgood factor that we can muster.

And dont give me that its because we care so much we so negative pish!! Get a grip people we are battling to stay in the SPL and battling to stay financially viable in this current climate

If you cant stand the fact that we might even offer the team other fans and the board a wee bit of congratultions for some good activity durring the window then get your ar$e$ over to kickback. You find yourself in good company with bitter professional wallowers.

GGTTH
    Spot on, window over, players in players out, time for us all to pull together and CHEER the team, it might even be enjoyable
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    I would say it may have happened before then, when players were requesting the pay rises they had said they were promised, which despite the cup win, signalled unrest & declining performances.

It could be total rubbish of course & invented by an agent trying to engineer a move for his clients, but what almost always comes to the fore, there is two sides of the coin and we very rarely get to the truth.

I'm very impressed by the fact that PF & BB has identified so many weaknesses and supported by the board, they have acted as ruthlessly as they did.

Thats the key bit for me Ray, no fannying about. The timing of it as well would suggest that some degree of planning went into it that it pretty much amounted to a cull.

The board have done much of what they usually do but the difference this time is the manager has been "ruthless" in the execution of his plans. I understand there are a further three players that we didnt get but will return for in the summer so here's hoping.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I think that board are just being congratulated in general. When you consider some of the posts that were made about our lack of signings before the window even closed, I think a little back patting is not out of place.

People on here are quick enough to jump all over the players / the board / other fans at the drop of a hat. We've just finished what looks like a pretty decent transfer window and so some people are feeling optimistic and are being more positive with their outlook. Not everyone is though, mind you. Of course we need to see how these signings pan out but that's the next step. Can we not be happy about step one being completed successfully? I say "successfully" not in terms of player quality or ability but in terms of addressing the areas that need bolstering. This does not mean all is forgiven for the last 4 or 5 years but it seems like a damn good attempt to get us back on an even keel (IMO). For that I am thankful.
    I havent said not more optomistic I just do not feel the board have done anything other than let PF use up some of his budget which is what they are supposed to do,, for me this window is all about PF.

Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post
    These signings are still prove they are better than we have, whilst I am happy with the activity time will tell if they are the correct players needed.

None the less a positive message has been sent out.

Seems a very eclectic selection.

Hopefully this will be the Board's final sojourn along the failed strategy they've adopted the past 4 years.

I sincerely hope it works this time and they prove to us that all you need to do is keep changing the manager every year (who in turn changes the squad every year) to eventually end up with a fit, well-disciplined, settled, winning side.

GGTTH

I havent said not more optomistic I just do not feel the board have done anything other than let PF use up some of his budget which is what they are supposed to do,, for me this window is all about PF.
    There will be a whole lot more than the budget used up. 8 new players half way through a season and almost as many pay offs. There will be an amount of borrowing done to finance this on top of the certain losses racked up this year on top of last years losses. Its a pity things didn't kick on with the last two managers but fingers crossed Pat can do it as it has certainly cost us dear.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    There will be a whole lot more than the budget used up. 8 new players half way through a season and almost as many pay offs. There will be an amount of borrowing done to finance this on top of the certain losses racked up this year on top of last years losses. Its a pity things didn't kick on with the last two managers but fingers crossed Pat can do it as it has certainly cost us dear.
    Yes but that is assumimg it was alreadt maxed out, I think we are still within things but none of us know, we let a lot of folk leave also so I would say at this juncture we are still using same budget as normal.

Yes but that is assumimg it was alreadt maxed out, I think we are still within things but none of us know, we let a lot of folk leave also so I would say at this juncture we are still using same budget as normal.
    but spent a **** load more.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Hopefully this will be the Board's final sojourn along the failed strategy they've adopted the past 4 years.

I sincerely hope it works this time and they prove to us that all you need to do is keep changing the manager every year (who in turn changes the squad every year) to eventually end up with a fit, well-disciplined, settled, winning side.

GGTTH
    You think that changing managers and the team every year is a strategy?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    but spent a **** load more.
    Everything is in wages and as I said with all we let go then I see a balance, there may be loan fees that eat into budget but as I said I do not think the full amount of what we can spend in budget has been taken over the max. So that is why I do not really understand why board are getting so much credit.

I certainly would not be thanking the board that due to there previous mistakes PF is having to bring in loans at the 11th hour to try an save our season rather than bringing in the odd player for a final push of respectability. Wasted season with wasted loan fees and wages that was totally avoidable.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 02-02-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    I am amazed at the number of people apparently content that the bulk of our first-team squad is now made up of end-of-season loanees and players on short-term contracts extending no farther than the end of next season (May 2013) - with our manager on a contract that expires at the end of the following season (May 2014).

If I drove my car in accordance with those principles of foresight and forward planning, I'd be dead long ago.

I am amazed at the number of people apparently content that the bulk of our first-team squad is now made up of end-of-season loanees and players on short-term contracts extending no farther than the end of next season (May 2013) - with our manager on a contract that expires at the end of the following season (May 2014).

If I drove my car in accordance with those principles of foresight and forward planning, I'd be dead long ago.
    Loved your earlier post Doddie, very true and very eloquently put. With regard to this one, PF has to start somewhere, hopefully he has made enough short term measures to keep us up & the real work will commence in the summer, from then we can judge both the true extent of his talent & the level of backing he gets.

Left by mutual consent!

Yeah, talk of PF needing 2yrs has been common I would agree a manager needs time but we really need to start seeing some signings made that will be giving more than 18mths which could be as little as 12mths with pre contracts.

If it is 18mths and 12mths we continue with we will once again be looking for another manager sooner rather than later I said this with CC I do not want this to be same with PF, no matter how hard it is we need to bring in players of quality for longer, when they are doing that maybe then it is time for credit.

I will give PF the time that he gives the players on contracts at the moment in terms of non loans thats averaging 18mths, game needs stepped up in summer.