hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't talk wet

So this makes up for nearly three years of hell at Easter Road aye?

Welcome to the new boys but let's not get ahead of ourselves......again
    Some folk are never happy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Do we actually know what he's done?

Or has it been shrewd moves by PF in identifying targets (I'd say yes as some are players he's previously worked with) and SL for concluding the deals (if thats what he does?)

Its not been stated anywhere that the manager has been given extra funds. In fact, he's done as most others have done - offloaded some to make way.

Good work all round, Hibs
    (lets hope their decent)

With most of the moves loans, they wont have involved much up front costs. Given the losses and lower attendances/ST sales I can't see any massive increase in budget come the summer.

But lets not take the shine off things and get too depressed - can't wait to see the new boys in action

Don't talk wet

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Petrie has made an arse of some recent appointments as manager, but i and a few others have always said he certainly backs whoever he's put in charge. And he backs them MORE THAN ANY OTHER MANAGER BAR THE 3 OBVIOUS ONES.

I think now we can now ALL see that, and along with the post someone put up proving it, there is no argument.

Now we have all been asking for more investment from STF, it would not surprise me if he has dug deep, but is just not making a song and dance about it?

As i have said before, Petrie has been at the helm of some horrendous managerial appointments, and in my opinion has to have got this one right, if not he will have no hiding place.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Don't talk wet

Could not agree more.

I won't be celebrating until Petrie has followed Hart, Sodje, Agogo, etc out of the door.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Acht well, couldnae last forever I guess.

Glory Glory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post
    Could not agree more.

I won't be celebrating until Petrie has followed Hart, Sodje, Agogo, etc out of the door.
    What if we start to do well? What if we go on a run? What if we actually play some good football? What if, heaven forfend, we actually get to the cup final (obviously not win it cos Hibs don't do that)?

Seems odd to judge how you'll celebrate/feel until you see the effect of what's happened. Might be the case that he's made the right decisions... Of course if it's still turgid appallingness on the pitch then the position of the El Tache becomes untenable.

But we don't know yet. End of the season is time to judge.

Could not agree more.

Bolted horse has door the closing the after (rearrange)

Blog Entries
    As someone who thinks the Tache has done a generally good job...I agree in part. Although its SL that is doing all the contract spade work and overseeing football stuff.

So much as I have defended Rod getting all the pelters for the things that have not gone well...its not right to give him all the credit for things that are progress.

I have always argued that support for managers was not the main issue.....it was the seeming inability of previous managers to spend the ever increasing budgets well (in fact making a horses rear of it mostly)....and not making full use of the loan system as others (notably St J's / Killie) have done

The signs are good that the coaching and football dept have made the best of the difficult Jan window....I will wait till 5/6 games have passed before I judge the proof of the pudding...

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    As someone who thinks the Tache has done a generally good job...I agree in part. Although its SL that is doing all the contract spade work and overseeing football stuff.

So much as I have defended Rod getting all the pelters for the things that have not gone well...its not right to give him all the credit for things that are progress.

I have always argued that support for managers was not the main issue.....it was the seeming inability of previous managers to spend the ever increasing budgets well (in fact making a horses rear of it mostly)....and not making full use of the loan system as others (notably St J's / Killie) have done

The signs are good that the coaching and football dept have made the best of the difficult Jan window....I will wait till 5/6 games have passed before I judge the proof of the pudding...

We have the quantity, lets now see if we have the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by erskine-hibby View Post
    Bolted horse has door the closing the after (rearrange)

door has Bolted the horse after the closing

I dont quite get what your trying to say, this is football thread. Anyway back to the real issue here: Should the tache get his own tache-icon on hibs net? yes or no?

And no more criptic talk about horses please!!

GGTTH

On paper it looks quite promising. For the time being the Board and particular tache and SL should be off the hook. I have been critical of them recently, and no wonder, but I hoped that the more experience SL picks up the fewer mistakes he'll make. Hopefully he has learned his lessons and we can get back up the table due to bringing in the right manager, assistants and players. I know it's superstitious nonsense but I like the idea of an Irish man being at the helm when we are in trouble, it's our roots and all that guff. It would be good to see him there when we are not in trouble too. Of course nationality has little to do with it, merit alone should matter but I hope you know where I'm coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    I think it's great the 1st game with all these new players is in the cup. I think cup games tend to be more open anyway and the players can express themselves a little.... the pressure of playing for points this weekend I think would be worse for many of there 1st game..... Also for the fans it should be even easier to get to ER and get behind them coz it's the cup.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is haven most of your players as loans, in a relegation battle.... But I'm sure Pat knows what he's doing and has brought in players he knows quite well, whilst he'll have run the rule over a few of them at training and in bounce games, whilst I see him as a better manager for getting players with the 'right mentality' in the door.... Our previous managers all talked the talk, I think Fenlon is finally the man that will sort us out.

Who'd of thought it, hibs being probably most exciting club in the transfer dealings
    Taking the month of January as a whole I would be interested to know if we were actually the most exciting club in dealings. Perhaps based on total of ins and outs whether loan (which appears to be the norm these days) or signings. Statto could perhaps work it out if it hasn't been done already.

Well done Pat for having the cahoonas to get shot of some of the non trying wage thieves and replace them so quickly( albeit on loan, except Kujabi ) with others of your own choice, we'll give them a couple of games to gel and hopefully get shooting up the league. Pity he couldn't move on the other non triers but obviously O'Hanlon, Hanlon, Sproule and Galbraith are on longer contracts, so a wee bit more expensive to end their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    I think it's great the 1st game with all these new players is in the cup. I think cup games tend to be more open anyway and the players can express themselves a little.... the pressure of playing for points this weekend I think would be worse for many of there 1st game..... Also for the fans it should be even easier to get to ER and get behind them coz it's the cup.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is haven most of your players as loans, in a relegation battle.... But I'm sure Pat knows what he's doing and has brought in players he knows quite well, whilst he'll have run the rule over a few of them at training and in bounce games, whilst I see him as a better manager for getting players with the 'right mentality' in the door.... Our previous managers all talked the talk, I think Fenlon is finally the man that will sort us out.

Who'd of thought it, hibs being probably most exciting club in the transfer dealings
    I wonder how many of these loan signings are possible buys if it works out and they're happy to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    I wonder how many of these loan signings are possible buys if it works out and they're happy to stay.
    Given their situations at their current clubs, I think if we really wanted to, Griffiths, McPake, Towell, & O'Donovan would all be available.

First Team Breakthrough Persevere80's Avatar
    That was a good bit of buisness for a January transfer window for an effort to keep us up, i might even dig my hands in to my pocket and show face for the rest of the season to show my support.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby cal View Post
    Ok he has made some stupid appointments
    When it comes to managers .
    But one thing that we can't say now
    (and I have been guilty of this myself)
    Is that the tache does not back his managers .
    After today I think rod has firmly made a
    Statement that out with the OF we are the
    Biggest backers to our managers.
    Hopefully come the summer he will continue
    To back the pat fenlon revolution with the same
    Quality if not better.

all hail the tache. All hail the tache
    Quote Originally Posted by broonie27 View Post
    Quiet thread this one, eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by paxtonhibby View Post
    Aye, the deafening silence of humble pie consumption :D
    I presume that you guys have never heard the expression "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Or maybe you haven't got your minds round the concept of "cause and effect"?

Farmer and Petrie are businessmen providing a product to their customers. As long as those customers are prepared to sit quietly and make no noise, F and P will not improve the product - why should they, they're hearing no complaint?

I suspect a direct causal relationship between the moaning and complaining many of us have been doing here on the net and other Hibs fans's websites, and the energetic pursuit of new talent we've witnessed over the past few days.

And, as others have so accurately observed, we haven't seen these guys play yet - this could yet be no more than another round of the same dross we've had to suffer for far too long now.

Don't go near any sharp objects, boys - you wouldn't want to puncture that well-inflated smug self-satisfied feeling you're enjoying right now ....

Could not agree more.

Hear, hear, Mr Rebus, sir. I second your motion and move we vote on it NOW.

The leopard doesn't change his spots, nor the Tash his stinginess. My opinion, there's still a great deal wrong at ER, and bringing in a few loan signings won't solve it.
    Last edited by --------; 01-02-2012 at 11:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I presume that you guys have never heard the expression "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Or maybe you haven't got your minds round the concept of "cause and effect"?

Farmer and Petrie are businessmen providing a product to their customers. As long as those customers are prepared to sit quietly and make no noise, F and P will not improve the product - why should they, they're hearing no complaint?

I suspect a direct causal relationship between the moaning and complaining many of us have been doing here on the net and other Hibs fans's websites, and the energetic pursuit of new talent we've witnessed over the past few days.

And, as others have so accurately observed, we haven't seen these guys play yet - this could yet be no more than another round of the same dross we've had to suffer for far too long now.

Don't go near any sharp objects, boys - you wouldn't want to puncture that well-inflated smug self-satisfied feeling you're enjoying right now ....

Hear, hear, Mr Rebus, sir. I second your motion and move we vote on it NOW.

The leopard doesn't change his spots, nor the Tash his stinginess. My opinion, ther's still a great deal wrong at ER, and bringing in a few loan signings won't solve it.
    I am not going to debate with you Doddie because we will go round and round in circles but it seems to me the pie ain't going down too well.

It is clear that the the board has backed Pat since he arrived at the club and have bought into his philosophy what with the comings and goings at Easter Road in recent weeks.

A lot of people have sent shall we say, constructive critiscm, type emails to the club the last year or so...... Can we actually write to anyone to note our satisfaction in the efforts during January?

I honestly believe we have got as worse as we'll ever get and now it's back on an upward spiral under Pat.

the best way to support the manager and club would be to turn up in huge numbers starting on Sat, but I would also encourage people to drop an email to the club as well, to show how the efforts are appreciated to put wrong right.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I am not going to debate with you Doddie because we will go round and round in circles but it seems to me the pie ain't going down too well.
    Ain't going down at all, Lex. Farmer and Petrie are still on Doddie's probation list and will remain there until I feel comfortable that things are really changing at ER.

I see no reasons to apologise for being angry and outraged at the way the football team I support has been managed and run over the past 5 years, or for expressing myself as such on what I had presumed to be an open fans' forum. You're apparently happy with Petrie's stewardship of the club's steady decline. I'm not.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Fully expected Rod to cash in on this mass hysteria created by new singings and lauch the new season ticket deal at 11pm last night with a free cup top up and 10% reduction if you renew by midnight friday.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Ain't going down at all, Lex. Farmer and Petrie are still on Doddie's probation list and will remain there until I feel comfortable that things are really changing at ER.

I see no reasons to apologise for being angry and outraged at the way the football team I support has been managed and run over the past 5 years, or for expressing myself as such on what I had presumed to be an open fans' forum. You're apparently happy with Petrie's stewardship of the club's steady decline. I'm not.
    Has the club been on a steady decline, or the team?

I think this is the crux of all the ongoing arguments.

You either think that the maanger is responsible for that and has wasted all the money the Board has made available, or you think that ther manager has been denied the resources to do well.

For me the evidence continues to be that the board back the manager and we then stand or fall by what he produces.

At the end of Hughes spell and the beginning of CC we were still getting good average crowds and had the odd occassion were we needed some of the new seats. Our average was not a kick in the behind off Hearts and our highest attendances were a couple of thousand higher than theirs.

It is footballing results that have turned that around very quickly and dramatically.

Think i will wait to say well done once these players have played a few games. May well benefit us in the short term but with alot of loan players how does our long term future hold in terms of selling players to have money to buy.better players?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Think i will wait to say well done once these players have played a few games. May well benefit us in the short term but with alot of loan players how does our long term future hold in terms of selling players to have money to buy.better players?
    The short term objective is to stay in this League. Once that is achieved/not achieved, the medium and longer term can be mapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post

Start with a win v Killie on Saturday.

Win more home League games

Manage the odd point, or even a win, away.

Play some decent football.

Win the next Derby.

Give the OF a game.

Stay up.

See evidence that the team (re)building is continuing and youth development is happening.

Very much looking forward to Saturday 3pm and the rest of this season now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post

Start with a win v Killie on Saturday.

Win more home League games

Manage the odd point, or even a win, away.

Play some decent football.

Win the next Derby.

Give the OF a game.

Stay up.

See evidence that the team (re)building is continuing and youth development is happening.

Very much looking forward to Saturday 3pm and the rest of this season now.
    Agreed. The season starts in Saturday. It's been a long (two year, or even five depending on your view) pre season of ugly scratch games but we have a new manager and, hopefully, a new team. We have to see how the signings work out and it's unreasonable to think all of them will be succesful, but they were picked by a no-nonsense guy who knows football instead of an ineffective clown.

The Hibees are back!

First Team Breakthrough paxtonhibby's Avatar
    Don't talk wet

Ok I won't mention h20,precipitation,moisture,rain,steam,etc.
    We have had to endure some absolute crap I totally agree but surely its a positive step,aye ?
    These new signings require the supporters full backing but the whinging continues. I couldn't imagine the reaction if no business was done,then again maybe I could.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Has the club been on a steady decline, or the team?

I think this is the crux of all the ongoing arguments.

You either think that the maanger is responsible for that and has wasted all the money the Board has made available, or you think that ther manager has been denied the resources to do well.

For me the evidence continues to be that the board back the manager and we then stand or fall by what he produces.

At the end of Hughes spell and the beginning of CC we were still getting good average crowds and had the odd occassion were we needed some of the new seats. Our average was not a kick in the behind off Hearts and our highest attendances were a couple of thousand higher than theirs.

It is footballing results that have turned that around very quickly and dramatically.
    How do you separate the club from the team, Andy? The club exists to put the team on the field. By this point two years ago - midway through Hughes' tenure - the signs of the team coming apart were apparent and obvious. But fans don't (or shouldn't) turn on the manager for what may be no more than a temporary blip. By the end of that season, it was clear it was no blip. The new season confirmed that. The fact that crowds were holding up was more of a tribute to the fans' patience than to the masterful stewardship of owner, CEO and board, IMO. But MIXU has since said that when HE arrived at the club the atmosphere in the dressingroom was poisonous - the aftereffects of the rebellion against John Collins. The club has been rebounding from one problem/crisis to another since spring 2007 - nearly FIVE years - and all the time there's been a slow but steady decline in player quality and direction from the top.

The manager operates within a corporate structure that has its own ethos and atmosphere. For that the owner, chairman and board are responsible. The Hibs manager's job has been a poisoned chalice since Collins left so contentiously.

The fall hasn't been 'quick and dramatic', Andy, it's been the slow accumulation of stresses and strains within the club culminating in the present crisis. What accident investigators call a 'cascade' - a series of problems, initially manageable, that increases in seriousness and frequency until the whole structure falls. I just hope that farmer and Petrie have caught this in time, because right now as far as I can see we're still in serious danger of relegation, we can't win a game in our own stadium, and we've just brought in a raft of short-term- and loan-signings who may or may not be good enough to turn results around.

So let's not split hairs - we're still up to our necks in the merde and it's the leadership of the club, Farmer, Petrie and the board they appointed, who've put us there. No one else in sight, Andy.
    Last edited by --------; 02-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.