hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is quality. Sequel will also be happening

From what I've seen on the trailers for Dredd, it appears to be very similar to The Raid!

Dredd not out here until next week though I don't think so I shall find out then...

Seen them both.

Totally different.

One is set in a decaying high-rise in Djakarta; the cops are Indonesian, and the violence starts as soon as they enter the building. The gang-leader is a man.

The other's set in in a decaying high-rise in a post-nuclear wasteland, the cops are American, and the violence starts before they enter the building. The gang-leader is a woman.

See? Totally different. Great fun, though.

I can also recommend "The Cooler", with William H Macy and Alec Baldwin. Good film.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Seen them both.

Totally different.

One is set in a decaying high-rise in Djakarta; the cops are Indonesian, and the violence starts as soon as they enter the building. The gang-leader is a man.

The other's set in in a decaying high-rise in a post-nuclear wasteland, the cops are American, and the violence starts before they enter the building. The gang-leader is a woman.

See? Totally different. Great fun, though.

I can also recommend "The Cooler", with William H Macy and Alec Baldwin. Good film.
    As far as I can tell, http://www.movieguide.org/ (subtitled: Christian Movie Review) gave Dredd a ringing endorsement

Also, The Cooler is a good film, but does involve the sight of William H Macy naked. Be advised.

May have been mentioned but just rewatched The Angels Share on DVD.

Excellent film with some pretty touching and gritty scenes, a lot of humour and a bit of a far fetched ending.

Well worth a watch.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Looper.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    As far as I can tell, http://www.movieguide.org/ (subtitled: Christian Movie Review) gave Dredd a ringing endorsement

Also, The Cooler is a good film, but does involve the sight of William H Macy naked. Be advised.

So it does, but that's NOT why I consider it a good film.

And while we're talking about WHM, anyone who hasn't seen him in 'Fargo' needs to rectify that omission immediately. Totally brilliant, as is the heavily pregnant Frances McDormand.

Another Coen effort involving McDormand which is IMO grossly under-rated is 'The Man Who Wasn't There' with Billy Bob Thornton.

Gamer IDs

This the review you mean?

DREDD 3D is a vile, inhumane, and horrifically violent movie from beginning to end. It has an extremely nihilistic humanist worldview where anything-goes behavior is exercised by both the villains and the hero. DREDD is not only a frontrunner for the worst movie of the year, but easily stands as one of the most repellent films of all time.

The story is set in a near-future America following a nuclear war that has decimated most of the nation. The plot follows – barely – the exploits of a man named Dredd who is a Judge – an elite law-enforcement official who can arrest, charge, punish, and even execute criminals on the spot of their capture.

A series of horrific murders has occurred at a 200-story housing complex. The same day, Dredd is assigned to take on a new Judge trainee and teach her the ways of crime-fighting. The duo have to go to the complex and fight and kill their way through the building, all the way to the penthouse lair of a drug kingpin named MaMa. This villain is spreading a drug called Slo-Mo that makes the user’s brain feel as as if events are taking place at one percent of normal speed.

That’s it for the plot, and there’s barely any dialogue to note either, aside from nonstop foul language and violent threats and orders about how to kill or defile people. DREDD looks as dirty as its message, with nothing pleasant or positive to observe at any moment of its running time. There’s absolutely no glimmer of humanity from either its heroes or villains.

DREDD exists only to exploit and demean all who are involved in it. Everyone associated with this movie, both behind and in front of the cameras, should be deeply ashamed. DREDD is an abhorrent movie on every artistic and moral level.

What did he expect? It's Dredd, for crying out loud, not Bambi.

Watched Prometheus for the first time on Monday - great film.

Can't wait for the sequel - or prequel.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post

I enjoyed it too.

I saw it in IMAX and it looked fantastic.

I recommend you try it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Smiley.

No smiley.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I thought it was quality as well. Someone at my work said the next prequel is based around one of those 'engineers' being Jesus! I've no googled to see if that's a shower of bollocks though.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Seen 'Sinister' last Friday. I'd ***** myself watching it on my own, enjoyed it though.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

I thought it looked great, had strong acting performances, but had a terrible plot and screenplay.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    I thought it looked great, had strong acting performances, but had a terrible plot and screenplay.
    Same I was hugely disappointed I missed it in the cinema and was looking forward to its blue ray release but was disappointed in the plot although it does look fantastic and there was nothing wrong with the acting

I enjoyed it, however I am not sure I'll watch it again because overall not a lot actually happens! Did make me want to revisit the Alien films though, which I've not gotten round to yet.

I agree, to an extent.

There are certainly some questions I'd have liked answered within the film - and not through a potential sequel.

Trying to be vague as possible here to not ruin it for others but the bit at the beginning confused me, quite why the engineers were trying to do what they were and what motive David had behind most of his actions was unclear.

If these points are clarified in a prequel/sequel then I'll be happy enough, but having the film end without these answers was quite frustrating.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it though, and found the story overall to be quite thought provoking.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Seen 'Sinister' last Friday. I'd ***** myself watching it on my own, enjoyed it though.
    I went to see this last night, definitely worth seeing.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Watched the campaign last night with will Farrell and zach galifinakis well worth a watch if its comedy your after

Gamer IDs

Scott says it "shares strands of Alien's DNA" - which I would translate as "derivative, and no improvement on the first movie".

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    Watched the campaign last night with will Farrell and zach galifinakis well worth a watch if its comedy your after
    Did they pay for your ticket?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Did they pay for your ticket?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Watched Black Swan for the 4th time and i'm still unsure about it all!
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

The Angels Share was good. Just came out over here...always good to see a Scottish film when you get the chance living so far away

Watched Star Trek - Next Generation for the first time two nights ago. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one in 2013 - Into the Darkness.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

Watched Star Trek - Next Generation for the first time two nights ago. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one in 2013 - Into the Darkness.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/
    Being picky (as this is my area of extreme geekiness), it's just called Star Trek. The Next Generation was the name of the Patrick Stewart Star Trek TV series.

I liked bits of the film, but I hate most things with "alternate timelines" and I'm very surprised at JJ Abrams taking us down this route. A bit self-indulgent if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Being picky (as this is my area of extreme geekiness), it's just called Star Trek. The Next Generation was the name of the Patrick Stewart Star Trek TV series.
    Please accept my humble apologies Having only watched a handful of Star Trek episodes in my lifetime I didn't know any better. I've been getting back into Sci-Fi recently so I think I'll take a look on Lovefilm to see what is available for rental - I think I did enjoy the few episodes that I watched, but it was ~ 10 years ago!

On a different note; I watched The Pact last night and thought it was great. For anyone going to rent it, the film begins as your usual paranormal type movie however it develops quite nicely into something much better.

Went to see the new Bond film, Skyfall, last night and thought it was superb.

Daniel Craig is a superb Bond and plays it with much more realism than any previous Bonds, also Javier Bardem superb as the baddy, well worth going to see.

Please accept my humble apologies Having only watched a handful of Star Trek episodes in my lifetime I didn't know any better. I've been getting back into Sci-Fi recently so I think I'll take a look on Lovefilm to see what is available for rental - I think I did enjoy the few episodes that I watched, but it was ~ 10 years ago!

On a different note; I watched The Pact last night and thought it was great. For anyone going to rent it, the film begins as your usual paranormal type movie however it develops quite nicely into something much better.
    Apology accepted.

I don't think there are as many good sci-fi films as there are sci-fi TV series. In terms of recent SF TV, I would strongly recommend Falling Skies (although it won't be available on Lovefilm, you could download it easily enough).

However, if you are strictly a film fan, I would say Nemesis is the best of the ST films.

Sinister was class. If anyone is looking for films that are underrated look for the crossing guard with jack Nicholson. Great film

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Apology accepted.

I don't think there are as many good sci-fi films as there are sci-fi TV series. In terms of recent SF TV, I would strongly recommend Falling Skies (although it won't be available on Lovefilm, you could download it easily enough).

However, if you are strictly a film fan, I would say Nemesis is the best of the ST films.
    The best Star Trek films are Wrath of Khan, First Contact and Undiscovered Country.

Now, Looper is a quality sci-fi film.

4 lions, very funny.