hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you are saying if he hadn't received abuse from a Hibs fan he still would have given a GIRUY.

Can't agree with that at all.
    Of course not.

My argument all along has been his reaction to whatever he hears. Hundreds of players hear all sorts of crap in their careers, but not too many reply the way he did. And even fewer repeat it so soon afterwards.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dave, sorry for gatecrashing the conversation between you and another poster but I feel it is relevant.

It is crazy but I'm convinced it is an involuntary reaction, ie not even Leigh understands it.

Earlier in the thread I made a reference to Stevie Wonder and blindness which was maybe was not as relevant a scenario as I was looking for.

Maybe a better comparison would be, would anyone blame anyone suffering from Tourette's for swearing?
    If there are underlying reasons for this which me and plenty others are not aware of them they are most certainly relevant. If that was the case then surely the club would be aware?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I'll bail out here I think, as we are clearly coming at this from different angles. Every club has dafties in their support, but the idea that our dafties are solely responsible for damaging the club, making the players gesture and taking us towards relegation is ridiculous.

I totally agree that some of the abuse will be out of order, however the twisting of the argument does not sit well with me.
    I'm certainly not suggesting that Leigh is blameless, and you're right that he's daft for reacting to it.

The fans that are dishing it out are just as much to blame though - that's not twisting the argument, it's just a statement of fact. If they didn't shout it, he wouldn't have anything to react to and we wouldn't have this situation.

And BTW, it's still not even clear that he actually did anything wrong yesterday yet.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    If there are underlying reasons for this which me and plenty others are not aware of them they are most certainly relevant. If that was the case then surely the club would be aware?
    Dave, I would be lying if I said i knew 100% that this is the case.

Plenty of people at the club know him really well and know a lot of background information about him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    He needs to ignore the fans giving him abuse and get on with the game, as he is no use to sitting in the stand

@hibs.net private member
    Yes, but after his recent history they were trying to get a reaction IMO.

Poor chap gets it from both sets of fans.
    Not defending the actions of the minority of fans that gave him abuse, but poor chap? He is getting paid thousands of pounds per week to play for hibs. i wouldnt care if all the opposition fans gave me it tight and a few of my fans had a go at me if I got to do what he does. If he ever wants to be a star in the EPL and has a fuse like he has he will struggle. The opposition fans will know he reacts and will taunt him all day.

He knows the rules, he has been told not to do it and I am sure his manager will be raging. In certain jobs you have to endure certain pressures, in football, this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    I'm certainly not suggesting that Leigh is blameless, and you're right that he's daft for reacting to it.

The fans that are dishing it out are just as much to blame though - that's not twisting the argument, it's just a statement of fact. If they didn't shout it, he wouldn't have anything to react to and we wouldn't have this situation.

And BTW, it's still not even clear that he actually did anything wrong yesterday yet.
    I hope nothing comes of it. Griffiths is the one shining light we have right now and for all our sakes he needs to be out there scoring goals and getting us to safety.

I hope nothing comes of it. Griffiths is the one shining light we have right now and for all our sakes he needs to be out there scoring goals and getting us to safety.
    I think we can both agree on that

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Not defending the actions of the minority of fans that gave him abuse, but poor chap? He is getting paid thousands of pounds per week to play for hibs. i wouldnt care if all the opposition fans gave me it tight and a few of my fans had a go at me if I got to do what he does. If he ever wants to be a star in the EPL and has a fuse like he has he will struggle. The opposition fans will know he reacts and will taunt him all day.

He knows the rules, he has been told not to do it and I am sure his manager will be raging. In certain jobs you have to endure certain pressures, in football, this is one of them.
    I wasn't meaning poor as in financially poor.

And as a BTW he isn't getting paid thousands of pounds per week to play for Hibs, who on earth told you that?

Do you think its his fault he has the attention span of a goldfish?

Serious question.
    Ask some of his lady friends

@hibs.net private member
    I wasn't meaning poor as in financially poor.

And as a BTW he isn't getting paid thousands of pounds per week to play for Hibs, who on earth told you that?
    he was on thousands of pounds at wolves, or does the money he gets from them not count? I know you didnt mean poor as in financially, I was saying that for the money he gets and the lifestyle he is probably able to lead then a couple of people shouting abuse at him when he does something wrong isnt really that bad is it, especially when thousands cheer for him when he scores.

So let me get this thread right.

If GO'C gives a big, GIRUY to opposing fans it's cool.

If Riordan gives a big GIRFUY to opposing fans it's ok.

When Ian Murray shaves his head marking the 7-0 derby win and gives a big GIRFUY it's superb.

But Lee does it, it's not?

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    From Twitter

Jonathan Sutherland @mrjsutherland 20m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Looks like Leigh Griffiths could be in more trouble, for flicking the finger before he takes a corner. Some people don't learn. #hibs

https://twitter.com/#!/ryanmcnairn/s...295424/photo/1
    hmmm, trial by twitter. the sooner this site disappears the better.

maybe fans should get of Griffiths back,he works his socks off for the team.

granted,he shouldnt have done this again but in all fairness its a lot of keek

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Is Scoopy suggesting that Sparky is the Susan Boyle of Scottish football? And i don't just mean fugly.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    So let me get this thread right.

If GO'C gives a big, GIRUY to opposing fans it's cool.

If Riordan gives a big GIRFUY to opposing fans it's ok.

When Ian Murray shaves his head marking the 7-0 derby win and gives a big GIRFUY it's superb.

But Lee does it, it's not?
    Not when he has served two seperate bans for it only a matter of weeks ago. Not when his manager has made it clear he wont be playing if he cant behave himself. Surely you can see how stupid he has been?

he was on thousands of pounds at wolves, or does the money he gets from them not count? I know you didnt mean poor as in financially, I was saying that for the money he gets and the lifestyle he is probably able to lead then a couple of people shouting abuse at him when he does something wrong isnt really that bad is it, especially when thousands cheer for him when he scores.
    My understanding is Hibs are picking up a percentage of Leigh's Wolves wages.

Leigh isn't getting what I would class as a genuine Premiership's players salary, more of a reserve or youth player. Wolves paid £150,000 and you don't have to pay a player a king's ransom at that level to get him to sign.

He only gets a fraction of what Steven Fletcher or even Christophe Berra earns.

I agree that thousands more cheer him than abuse him, but it's the few that are causing the issue with him.

I just wish people would stop it, cos if they don't I think it could be a recurring situation.

Leigh isn't getting what I would class as a genuine Premiership's players salary, more of a reserve or youth player. Wolves paid £150,000 and you don't have to pay a player a king's ransom at that level to get him to sign.

I agree that thousands more cheer him than abuse him, but it's the few that are causing the issue with him.

I just wish people would stop it, cos if they don't I think it could be a recurring situation.
    I don't know how you put the last sentence in bold but that is exactly it--why the hell do our own supporters goad our own players and potentially get them banned--crazy, and don't get on my back about they get well paid, they should control themselves etc etc, that is not reality and easy to say from behind your computers

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    If your looking in on this thread Sparky, here is a wee idea to the Hibs fans that abuse you, dont be silly and make silly gestures back to them, offer them your strip and boots and and offer them the chance to take your place on the park, that will shut them up pronto, they couldn't lace your boots wee man but think because they have paid there £20 they are the best player in the world and could do better than you.

Screw the nut score goals and shut the bams up is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    He gets a Ban because he is a THICKO who apears incapable of self restraint. Hope that helps.

Personally if he is found guilty I would give him a the biggest fine allowed.
    Once is stupid twice is very very stupid 3 times in a matter of weeks is almost unforgiveable.

Before everyone comes on and offers protection many Hibs players have taken far more abuse and not reacted I bet they wanted to but used their commen sense, something it appears Leigh is sadly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    If your looking in on this thread Sparky, here is a wee idea to the Hibs fans that abuse you, dont be silly and make silly gestures back to them, offer them your strip and boots and and offer them the chance to take your place on the park, that will shut them up pronto, they couldn't lace your boots wee man but think because they have paid there £20 they are the best player in the world and could do better than you.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    When Alan McGregor gets the treatment from the Hibs fans the Rangers support sing a song supporting him. When the Saints fans gave Sparky the treatment some Hibs fans joined them.

Only once he'd scored the penalty did the crowd sing his name. He needs to learn not to react but I reckon I'd be pissed off at that situation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Good post Silv and I hope folk take heed.

Thing is four goals in his last three games isn't shutting the bams up.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Good post Silv and I hope folk take heed.

Thing is four goals in his last three games isn't shutting the bams up.
    It's insane, eh? At first I wasn't convinced by Sparky but I think he's really looking the part now. Been one of our best players the last few weeks and was motm for me yesterday yet he's still got morons on his case.

It's f****** unbelievable.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member

Completely agree with the part in bold, but sadly its just what happens these days. there is nothing that will change that and it does happen at other grounds, perhaps not as much as at ER but the current predicament hibs find themselves in will be a factor. As I said, its just what happens, there are small pockets of idiots everywhere and in various sports, the players just need to suck it up.

No good sticking up for him, no matter what was said Sparky has been stupid again and if a ban appears should be fine the top amount.

He should have taken the bloody corner and got on with the game. Is he stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    No like the media to stir up a stooshie and get the collective mooths slaverin rabidly. Hopefully Sportscene will do their usual and show it from every conceivable angle and we will all be able to make a judicious assessment of the alleged infraction.

I'll repeat here what I said last night after viewing it without prejudice for the third time:

Seen LGs gesture 3 times now and while the supersensitive may deem it the 'bird', its accompanied by no aggressive body language or twisted facial expression and could easily be argued that it was merely a coded tactical signal to his team mates. Nothing at all like his 'previous'.
    Nae doubt they will. It will earn more air time than any of the other discussion points from the game.

So because he might have heard a shout at Cowdenbeath he didn't like, that was the trigger for the initial GIRUY and its the fans fault?

Think we'll agree to disagree on that one.
    How do you know it was a solitary shout?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It's f****** unbelievable.
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this thread.

Completely agree with the part in bold, but sadly its just what happens these days. there is nothing that will change that and it does happen at other grounds, perhaps not as much as at ER but the current predicament hibs find themselves in will be a factor. As I said, its just what happens, there are small pockets of idiots everywhere and in various sports, the players just need to suck it up.
    I agree with your post in full.

I just feel Leigh is a wee bit different from the norm and although no player is exempt from criticism I would rather we as a unit would stop this abuse of our own.

Looking at the bigger picture, we are all agreed that it is hard to get players into the club just now.

It will be a damn sight harder if a potential target picks up a paper and reads about a Hibs fanatic playing for the club picking up a second ban for reacting to abuse from his own fans. I would imagine a player just might say that settles it I'm not going there.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    If it solely involves interaction between hibs players and hibs supporters then the matter should be handed internally and have nowt to do with the compliance officer or anyone else.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    He really needs to learn to not react, but where to some so-called fans get off abusing one of our best players? If it wasn't for Leigh that squad would look so much more depressing than it already does. I just don't get it?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    He really needs to learn to not react, but where to some so-called fans get off abusing one of our best players? If it wasn't for Leigh that squad would look so much more depressing than it already does. I just don't get it?
    Totally agree. It's some of the so called supporters that need to be disciplined!