hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanlon

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After today's match , it is YET another reason why Hanlon should be playing at LB and Booth should be moved on one into midfield...
    I have said before why move them get players in to play in they positions........ simple

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by stanton10 View Post
    I have said before why move them get players in to play in they positions........ simple
    Because for too many of our squad that position is at another club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Because for too many of our squad that position is at another club.
    Sorry, to rattle on but the simple bit is that they and others are not good enough, end off

Quote Originally Posted by muzzhfc View Post
    should of said, shanghai on george street. where everyone is full of them selves. said i was "too casual"
    You hate people spelling Murray wrong, fair enough. The poster did say it was a typo though. Well I hate people saying "should of" when it should be "should`ve" .

That last bit sounded a bit like Sir Sean.

I feel for Hanlon.

He's never had the benefit of a decent back 4 or solid midfield since he broke into the team. He gets a harder time because he's not a 'Jones type' Centre Half. He'll never be one and he shouldn't have to be. If one of our numerous managers addressed the problem instead of temporary fixes then this lad might get the benefit.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I feel for Hanlon.

He's never had the benefit of a decent back 4 or solid midfield since he broke into the team. He gets a harder time because he's not a 'Jones type' Centre Half. He'll never be one and he shouldn't have to be. If one of our numerous managers addressed the problem instead of temporary fixes then this lad might get the benefit.
    He has had 3 seasons, take out his wee loan spell.....for me he isn't good enough. He was caught out as early as the first minute yesterday, straight from kick off when you should be alert.....a simple ball over the top that he misjudged the flight of, threw a leg at, and was lucky that it landed at the feet of Stephens (who then proceeded to clear it straight to a Saints player).

He has had Hogg, Jones, Bamba and Van Zanten next to him in defence...all experienced in SPL terms. He has regressed. Those that argue he is U21 captain......have we qualified for anything whilst he has been involved ?

What made me weep yesterday was the bizarre ' relay baton' style way we dealt with the armband......GOC, to Sproule, to Hanlon. If that is the team structure towards leadership and captaincy, we are indeed in bother. Not one of those players I think leads by example, not one (in my opinion) commands complete respect. Not one reads how a game is going properly.

I said it last season too, if PH were to leave, I would wish him the very best, but I think Hibs would not be losing out. I'm old fashioned though, and I want my defenders to be nasty, hard and feared in that area. Our pair look as soft as a bouncy castle.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He has had 3 seasons, take out his wee loan spell.....for me he isn't good enough. He was caught out as early as the first minute yesterday, straight from kick off when you should be alert.....a simple ball over the top that he misjudged the flight of, threw a leg at, and was lucky that it landed at the feet of Stephens (who then proceeded to clear it straight to a Saints player).

He has had Hogg, Jones, Bamba and Van Zanten next to him in defence...all experienced in SPL terms. He has regressed. Those that argue he is U21 captain......have we qualified for anything whilst he has been involved ?

What made me weep yesterday was the bizarre ' relay baton' style way we dealt with the armband......GOC, to Sproule, to Hanlon. If that is the team structure towards leadership and captaincy, we are indeed in bother. Not one of those players I think leads by example, not one (in my opinion) commands complete respect. Not one reads how a game is going properly.

I said it last season too, if PH were to leave, I would wish him the very best, but I think Hibs would not be losing out. I'm old fashioned though, and I want my defenders to be nasty, hard and feared in that area. Our pair look as soft as a bouncy castle.
    Great post, absoloutely spot on

It's time for Paul to step up and start fulfilling his early potential. He's now a decent age and he's also been captain for club and country (albeit at u-21 level)

He needs to start being a lot more commanding, a lot more decisive and start putting his head in where it hurts.

Looking back at their 2nd goal yesterday and I agree with BB, thats one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen at ER. Why didn't paul attack that ball? How slow was Stephens to react? Awful from the pair of them.

It is happening every week in front of our eyes, the whole defence can not defend. The management team know where the problem lies, they moan about it every week, BB turn yeasterday. Why is nothing being done about it, why isn't changes being made

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    You hate people spelling Murray wrong, fair enough. The poster did say it was a typo though. Well I hate people saying "should of" when it should be "should`ve" .

That last bit sounded a bit like Sir Sean.
    so i should be said "sorry, should be said george street"?

@hibs.net private member
    I feel for Hanlon.

He could do with a Davie Weir or similar next to him to take the pressure off and provide some leadership and instruction. I believe there's a good footballer in there with Hanlon but he's crying out for a mentor in the defence - as are Booth and Stephens.

Hart has looked better recently with a decent run of games behind him but is not the answer as far as leadership is concerned

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar

Bang on the money, as per usual.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Yam alert.

Just checked some of your other posts, and you've got a bit of convincing to do IMO.

Well, seeing as I can`t make head nor tail of that, I`ll just do one of these too.

I think you make fair points although I am not sure I am buying your use of Hogg and Van Zanten. I'd also be curious as to how many times he played with Jones but I don't have those stats.

If he left (similar to the majority) then I probably wouldn't be that upset either. However, I'd be disappointed because I feel there is a player with potential there who has been let down by the chaos of the last 3 years. He isn't a hard man and won't ever be, I see him as someone who will attempt to read the game and make interceptions and blocks rather than someone who is the dominant no nosense CH who likes to tackle and attack / head the ball.

However, he doesn't have the luxury of a good defence to compliment what I think he'd be good at. I suspect a back 4 of him, Jones, Murphy and a Willie Miller type would allow him to progress. The upshot is though that guys of that ilk aren't there and he is suffering.

If he goes, he goes. I won't be 'gutted' but I'd be disappointed he hadn't fulfilled his potential at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Just watched highlights for first time as been working all weekend

Paul Hanlon..... ducks for 2nd and just allows Sendaza to turn past and shoot for 3rd ... only about the 30th time he has allowed forward to turn him like that this season.

Never a CH in a million years.... cannae tackle can only head or clear about 10 yards ....Stephens just as culpable

MOST CULPABLE - BOARD and MANAGEMENT over the last few years for not getting this basic problem at CH sorted out. At last they seem to have coaught on judging by BBs public lambasting

Been saying for the last 18 months that the whole back five including our keepr is a shambles and needs rebuilt from scratch

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    It's time for Paul to step up and start fulfilling his early potential. He's now a decent age and he's also been captain for club and country (albeit at u-21 level)

He needs to start being a lot more commanding, a lot more decisive and start putting his head in where it hurts.

Looking back at their 2nd goal yesterday and I agree with BB, thats one of the worst pieces of defending I've seen at ER. Why didn't paul attack that ball? How slow was Stephens to react? Awful from the pair of them.
    Completely agree one of the worst goals I have ever seen for a professional team to lose even worse given we had scored seconds beforehand.

I actually think Hanlon is a decent defender but as you say doesn need to man up a bit and be more positive and aggressive. I also think he would benefit from an experienced centre half next to him hopefully McPake fits the bill in that regard.

Coaching Staff
    I think you make fair points although I am not sure I am buying your use of Hogg and Van Zanten. I'd also be curious as to how many times he played with Jones but I don't have those stats.

If he left (similar to the majority) then I probably wouldn't be that upset either. However, I'd be disappointed because I feel there is a player with potential there who has been let down by the chaos of the last 3 years. He isn't a hard man and won't ever be, I see him as someone who will attempt to read the game and make interceptions and blocks rather than someone who is the dominant no nosense CH who likes to tackle and attack / head the ball.

However, he doesn't have the luxury of a good defence to compliment what I think he'd be good at. I suspect a back 4 of him, Jones, Murphy and a Willie Miller type would allow him to progress. The upshot is though that guys of that ilk aren't there and he is suffering.

If he goes, he goes. I won't be 'gutted' but I'd be disappointed he hadn't fulfilled his potential at Hibs.
    You make fair points too 3pm.....however I do hope you are referring to the Aberdeen Willie Miller and not Willie 'dentists dream' Miller who played right back for us He drinks locally to where I work, so if you mean 'Oor Wullie' I will pass on how highly you rated him

Seriously, I have tried so hard to give young Hanlon the benefit of the doubt, and yep, perhaps I am harsh on him. But for me it's an area that needs resilience, command of the box and aggression. I just don't see it in him and more crucially I don't see good game awareness. What annoys me more about Hibs is that despite both Hughes and Calderwood saying that Hibs were/are soft, neither got in two or three real aggressive leaders......and I don't mean dirty players, I mean players who both the Hibs players and the opposition fear. Players who can read the way a game is going and take a few seconds to gather them together and instruct.

If Hanlon proves me wrong, I'll happily eat the humblest of pies but regardless of that will always wish him well. I just don't see the player others see.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I have had my doubts about Hanlon for a while, and gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his age. I too fail to see what is actually good about his play?

He is often dominated by his player, is poor on the ball, cumbersome in fact. Not quick and not particularly great in the air. He started off as a great hope for the future, folk were saying he was better than Berra who earned a move to the EPL.

Well imo, he's a long way from that move, i have read folk say if we are offered £750k we should snap their hands off. I agree, but for the life of me i wonder where the hell that offer would come from?

Its always someone else's fault when we are assessing players on here, Booth is pish because Sproule plays in front of him, Stacks pish because the defence is crap in front of him, Hanlon is playing bad because he does not have a better partner to play with.

Good players imo are good player, and rise above the mediocrity. Hanlon might be good and this is the reason he's stagnating, i hope this is the case, but just now he's no better than the rest of his team mates, and they have us 2nd bottom of the league.

Left by mutual consent!
    Remember PH getting out muscled and standing off the guy for the sixth Motherwell goal in that infamous game a couple of years back?

At that time, Yogi had always said that PH needed to get physically stronger before he became a regular. This goal fully demonstrated this point.

Nearly two years on has he improved physically? I'd say no.

Feel sorry for him as he has not had experienced guidance or quality around him and he is a reasonable enough player but I do wonder if his downfall will be that he is an ok left back with limitations in some areas and he is an ok centre half with limitations in some areas but may not become accomplished at either role.

At the moment he is not good enough to be a starter in either position and should be used as a squad player who comes in and covers injuries and suspensions at LB or CB. The fact that he has played so many games by such a young age says more about the last few managers inability to sign an appropriate quality and quantity of defenders than it does about his own ability.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart7-0 View Post
    Just watched highlights for first time as been working all weekend

Paul Hanlon..... ducks for 2nd and just allows Sendaza to turn past and shoot for 3rd ... only about the 30th time he has allowed forward to turn him like that this season.

Never a CH in a million years.... cannae tackle can only head or clear about 10 yards ....Stephens just as culpable

MOST CULPABLE - BOARD and MANAGEMENT over the last few years for not getting this basic problem at CH sorted out. At last they seem to have coaught on judging by BBs public lambasting

Been saying for the last 18 months that the whole back five including our keepr is a shambles and needs rebuilt from scratch
    Paul's progress has been slower than we would all have liked.

In his defence he ducked for the second goal because Stephen's shouted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sea-gull View Post
    Remember PH getting out muscled and standing off the guy for the sixth Motherwell goal in that infamous game a couple of years back?

At that time, Yogi had always said that PH needed to get physically stronger before he became a regular. This goal fully demonstrated this point.

Nearly two years on has he improved physically? I'd say no.

Feel sorry for him as he has not had experienced guidance or quality around him and he is a reasonable enough player but I do wonder if his downfall will be that he is an ok left back with limitations in some areas and he is an ok centre half with limitations in some areas but may not become accomplished at either role.

At the moment he is not good enough to be a starter in either position and should be used as a squad player who comes in and covers injuries and suspensions at LB or CB. The fact that he has played so many games by such a young age says more about the last few managers inability to sign an appropriate quality and quantity of defenders than it does about his own ability.
    I totally agree with this.

I never like to critizise our own players especially the younger guys and dont want to feel like i've got an agenda agsint some players due to constantly airing my view that they are not good enough etc. I would loved to be proved wrong with PH, DW, DS, LS etc but so far I have seen nothing to suggest I will be. I just feel PH for example has had long enough to prove his worth to the team and that he should be a first pick every week, but he hasnt, and I also agree its probably a situation we have because there arnt really any other better options, this speaks volumes for the management prior to PF.

I am also a believer that you put a good playe rin a poor team this player would be more inclined to stick out from the rest as having realy quality, again PH does not do this IMO.

Lets hope we bring in another couple of CH's.