hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Two-thirds of the way through the window .. Tick tock!

Get the effin' finger out Hibs.

Time for action!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Time for action!
    Last Sat we were 24/48hrs from signing a couple of players, PF has obviously identified them but it would appear that SL is incapable of delivering or supporting him.

Sounds familiar.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Last Sat we were 24/48hrs from signing a couple of players, PF has obviously identified them but it would appear that SL is incapable of delivering or supporting him.

Sounds familiar.
    Maybe they dont want to come to a team in a real relegation fight.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post

Time for action!
    Griffiths got his finger out today...

;-)

GG

Coaching Staff

Sounds familiar.
    That's not what PF said last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    What was the actual quote?

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    [/B]

I thought the second goal was the worst of the 3. A minute after equalising his adrenaline should've been pumping. Having got back in the match he should have been super motivated to be solid in defence. But no, he's half asleep and totally unaware of his surroundings.

Criminal, regardless of his age or experience...
    He`s 22 and has PLENTY experience.

Fenlon said, in an official Hibs interview, in early January that we were close to 'a couple of things'. More than a fortnight later, we've brought someone in on loan from Norwich.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Fenlon said, in an official Hibs interview, in early January that we were close to 'a couple of things'. More than a fortnight later, we've brought someone in on loan from Norwich.
    it can't all be about our league position either so you have to ask just how far short of potential players' expectations are we falling to be failing to get people that we desperately need in.

The board have to realise that what they are doing is not working to the extent that it will send us down unless they take an immediate change of policy and actually move Heaven and earth to secure Fenlon's targets.

Picking up end of window scraps and hoping a trialist here or there looks ok is not going to cut it again. We've tried that for the last few years and have gotten progressively worse to the point that if Dunfermline win their game in hand then we are bottom.

The board need to wake up NOW.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    it can't all be about our league position either so you have to ask just how far short of potential players' expectations are we falling to be failing to get people that we desperately need in.

The board have to realise that what they are doing is not working to the extent that it will send us down unless they take an immediate change of policy and actually move Heaven and earth to secure Fenlon's targets.

Picking up end of window scraps and hoping a trialist here or there looks ok is not going to cut it again. We've tried that for the last few years and have gotten progressively worse to the point that if Dunfermline win their game in hand then we are bottom.

Well said Matty.

Whenever I ever I have spoken to the board or been in their company, I've always got the impression that they put a lot of emphasis on hope rather than a tangible strategy.

Once again, we ourselves repeating the same mistakes from the last few years. This is why change is needed.

Collectively, they are not innovative, not forward thinking and lack proper football acumen. And I include STF in all this.

Take the last AGM for example, STF didn't once directly answer any of the questions posed to him. Instead, he just went off on a emotive rant about Petrie being the hardest working chairmen in the SPL. Hard work will only take you so far...

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Entirely agree, Matty. I have absolutely no confidence in the ability/desire of those in charge to either change their thinking or do anything about our current situation though.

This window has been so depressing precisely because it's a carbon copy of previous ones. They seem incapable of learning from previous mistakes We needed good players in early but, as usual, it hasn't happened. I'm fed-up with excuses about how hard it is and how they're working behind the scenes. They trot out the same nonsense every window whilst other clubs, supposedly with fewer resources, get on with signing folk.

I'm honestly starting to think that Lindsay and Hyland are completely out of their depth.

Coaching Staff
    Entirely agree, Matty. I have absolutely no confidence in the ability/desire of those in charge to either change their thinking or do anything about our current situation though.

This window has been so depressing precisely because it's a carbon copy of previous ones. They seem incapable of learning from previous mistakes We needed good players in early but, as usual, it hasn't happened. I'm fed-up with excuses about how hard it is and how they're working behind the scenes. They trot out the same nonsense every window whilst other clubs, supposedly with fewer resources, get on with signing folk.

I'm honestly starting to think that Lindsay and Hyland are completely out of their depth.
    "Starting" to think?

We're not run by serious football business people. We can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    "Starting" to think?

We're not run by serious football business people. We can't be.
    Believe it or not, before now, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and generally just thought that they were just pig-headed and wouldn't deviate from the strategy that they had decided upon.

Now, with the continual management failures, repeated pattern of the transfer windows, seeming lack of any transfer intelligence/scouting, general lack of ideas in marketing/comms/customer retention and more, I'm coming around to the view that there isn't actually much of a strategy and that they are, in fact, just incapable.

Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post

Hogg was hounded out of here for not being good enough, look what we have now.
    Replacing rubbish with worse rubbish doesn't mean the original rubbish didn't need replaced.

Do we have any European players at all???? I'm trying to think if we have anyone who is not from Britain/Ireland???

Where is our scouting network?

Believe it or not, before now, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and generally just thought that they were just pig-headed and wouldn't deviate from the strategy that they had decided upon.

Now, with the continual management failures, repeated pattern of the transfer windows, seeming lack of any transfer intelligence/scouting, general lack of ideas in marketing/comms/customer retention and more, I'm coming around to the view that there isn't actually much of a strategy and that they are, in fact, just incapable.
    The 2nd paragraph sums it up especially the points regarding the seemingly lack of transfer intelligence or decent scouting. The great danger now apart from the threat of relegation is that the potential in some of our younger players is going to be ruined, certainly in their time at Hibs, if i was Booth, Hanlon or Wotherspoon i`d feel really disappointed and let down, Booth because he has bags of ability on the ball and should be deployed as a wide left midfielder, Hanlon because he is expected to be the finished article and hold together a non existent defence and Wotherspoon because he has been mucked about postionally and watched the return of Sproule curtail his development even further.

Coaching Staff
    He said we were close to a couple of things and he'd know more in the next 48 hrs. He didn't say players would be signing within 48 hrs.

The twice yearly moan about how long transfers take is niaive. You just don't pop down the local shop and pick them out.

There's been a couple of interviews now pointing out that historically he knows what he wants and won't accept signing players that aren't the right quality just because they are there.

They have to be right as we can't go through this every window, releasing all the previous failures and looking for replacements.

He was almost without a full squad right up to the start of his last season, refused to be rushed and finished 5th with a total budget if less than 250k.

I think it's pathetic that PF is being criticised half way through a window.

Doyle looks a cracking signing by the way so more of that quality would be welcome.

This window has been so depressing precisely because it's a carbon copy of previous ones. They seem incapable of learning from previous mistakes We needed good players in early but, as usual, it hasn't happened.

I'm fed-up with excuses about how hard it is and how they're working behind the scenes. They trot out the same nonsense every window whilst other clubs, supposedly with fewer resources, get on with signing folk.

If ever they had to break with tradition and do things fast, it was in this transfer window. I suspect the mounting cost of having to release players early from their contracts this season has caused them to think twice about the terms offered both for and to any new arrivals.

It's false economy where we are currently headed. We are sleep-walking into the First Division.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Relegation and the 1st Division being those couple of things!

I hope Pat gets the support from the board to implement his rescue plan because at the moment we are floundering and I'm not sure we can tread water for ever.

The twice yearly moan about how long transfers take is niaive. You just don't pop down the local shop and pick them out.
    Absolutely. Especially when you're not willing paying a fee. However....

January doesn't just creep up on Hibs, jump out and say "Boo, I'm here". Considering the mess that we're in, it wasn't beyond the wit of man to have done a lot of work pre-window and had targets lined up (beyond Doyle). We're in the same position as usual - getting folk in on trial. You don't ask someone to come in on trial if you've previously done your homework, watched them extensively and identified them as the man to improve the team.

There comes a point and a situation where you can't keep defending the club's methods in recruiting players. This, IMHO, is the point.

Absolutely. Especially when you're not willing paying a fee. However....

January doesn't just creep up on Hibs, jump out and say "Boo, I'm here". Considering the mess that we're in, it wasn't beyond the wit of man to have done a lot of work pre-window and had targets lined up (beyond Doyle). We're in the same position as usual - getting folk in on trial. You don't ask someone to come in on trial if you've previously done your homework, watched them extensively and identified them as the man to improve the team.

There comes a point and a situation where you can't keep defending the club's methods in recruiting players. This, IMHO, is the point.
    Spot on, for me it's either the the football management at the club not being able to identify targets or the Board being unable to deliver them.

Personally I have no doubt it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by stokesmessiah View Post

Hogg was hounded out of here for not being good enough, look what we have now.
    The defense is gantin'. Bring back Dave Beaumont and Derek Anderson.

I'm honestly starting to think that Lindsay and Hyland are completely out of their depth
    Have no confidence in either of them.

Coaching Staff
    Spot on, for me it's either the the football management at the club not being able to identify targets or the Board being unable to deliver them.

Personally I have no doubt it's the latter.
    How does that fit with CC bringing in a host of players he has previously worked with or targeted? Same with Hughes. Same with Mixu.

It's clear to me that CC in particular just didn't pick the right players.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenblood70 View Post
    Have no confidence in either of them.
    I said at the time of Calderwood's sacking, we should have also binned Scott and Fyfe and taken on Alex Miller as Director of Football. Intelligent man, lives and breathes football, fantastic contacts in the game and very easy to negotiate with. Knows Hibernian inside and out.

Coupled with the fact his son (Greg) is now Head of Performance with the SFA Football Academy (here in Edinburgh) , we could also have tapped in (pardon the pun) to any young talent who attend these expanding schools.

Despite your use of 'in particular', none of his 'picks' were in the back four yesterday.

This, I totally agree with.

The board should have resigned after the shambolic way that they handled the Calderwood situation last summer, as soon as it became clear that they had made a massive mistake in standing by him they should have stood down.

I have no belief in the ability of the board and I stated this some months ago.

However, I don't agree that Fenlon deserves any criticism at the moment. He arrived on the 25th November, that means he had about five weeks to prepare for the January window opening. In that time, he would have had to assess the squad, see who he wanted to keep, identify which positions he wanted to strengthen, then go out and try to identify specific players he wanted to try and sign.

He mentioned a couple of weeks ago how he had a few targets in mind and the club was in negotiations with one or two of them. However he also mentioned that he was finding it difficult to encourage those players to come to a club that is possibly going to be playing first division football in six months' time.

I am not surprised by this in the slightest and yesterday's result, coupled with the result from Rugby Park will have done nothing to help that cause.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This, I totally agree with.

The board should have resigned after the shambolic way that they handled the Calderwood situation last summer, as soon as it became clear that they had made a massive mistake in standing by him they should have stood down.

I have no belief in the ability of the board and I stated this some months ago.

However, I don't agree that Fenlon deserves any criticism at the moment. He arrived on the 25th November, that means he had about five weeks to prepare for the January window opening. In that time, he would have had to assess the squad, see who he wanted to keep, identify which positions he wanted to strengthen, then go out and try to identify specific players he wanted to try and sign.

He mentioned a couple of weeks ago how he had a few targets in mind and the club was in negotiations with one or two of them. However he also mentioned that he was finding it difficult to encourage those players to come to a club that is possibly going to be playing first division football in six months' time.

I am not surprised by this in the slightest and yesterday's result, coupled with the result from Rugby Park will have done nothing to help that cause.
    That's part of my point. If we had a scouting operation of any note, we wouldn't have to solely rely on each new manager to identify players. He'd decide what position he wanted to recruit for and, if he didn't have someone specific in mind, the scouting head would be able to present him with a well-researched list of suitable players.

That's not a criticism of Fenlon. It's a criticism of Lindsay.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How does that fit with CC bringing in a host of players he has previously worked with or targeted? Same with Hughes. Same with Mixu.

None of us will ever know how far down their target lists we had to go before getting players the board could afford/sanction/entice to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post

And yet the two players that the Pars have brought in did not seem too bothered by their 12th position in the SPL and, by all accounts, they have already made a significant impact going by yesterday's performance.

Doesn't seem impossible then?

To be clear, I don't believe this is Fenlon's fault.