hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yam Manager

Yam Manager

When Paulo was introduced at beginning of Sportscene tonight , I feared the worst. Usual bigoted, maroon-coloured, clap-trap with inherent hatred of all things Hibs.

How wrong I was.

This guy came across as being an intelligent, well spoken, rational manager who spoke a heap of good sense. Even when it came to Hibs, he spoke with respect - a shocking change from the stuff we're used to from JJ and the string of other idiots they've employed at Tynecastle over the years.

The cynic in me say this has something to do with the problems they're having down Gorgie way making even those conceited halfwits a little humble. But a Yam being humble doesn't compute, so I'm left with the view that Paulo Segio is an unusual species - a rational human being working in Yamland. He has my sympathies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Paulo was introduced at beginning of Sportscene tonight , I feared the worst. Usual bigoted, maroon-coloured, clap-trap with inherent hatred of all things Hibs.

How wrong I was.

This guy came across as being an intelligent, well spoken, rational manager who spoke a heap of good sense. Even when it came to Hibs, he spoke with respect - a shocking change from the stuff we're used to from JJ and the string of other idiots they've employed at Tynecastle over the years.

The cynic in me say this has something to do with the problems they're having down Gorgie way making even those conceited halfwits a little humble. But a Yam being humble doesn't compute, so I'm left with the view that Paulo Segio is an unusual species - a rational human being working in Yamland. He has my sympathies.
    Agree 100%, my opinion has changed after he came across a complete twat against Talbott.

I'm still trying to work out what a "rivality" is.

And was there any need for the massive rant about how Hearts and Hibs aren't "enemies" and he doesn't have enemies in football.

It was obviously a figure of speech from MacLean!

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post

And was there any need for the massive rant about how Hearts and Hibs aren't "enemies" and he doesn't have enemies in football.

So i take it when you get asked similar questions in Portugese you can answer them spot on without pronunciation errors and you dont go any rants???

Thought he came across very well.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Thought he came across well as well.

Of course, being Hearts manager he's always going to be a **** - quite a sound **** though

Could you perhaps write that in Portugese? No ?

I think he does very well not speaking in his native toungue and not all things translate easily.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    So i take it when you get asked similar questions in Portugese you can answer them spot on without pronunciation errors and you dont go any rants???

Thought he came across very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Could you perhaps write that in Portugese? No ?

I think he does very well not speaking in his native toungue and not all things translate easily.
    I'm not working on a Portuguese television programme.

If I was then those points would be valid.

Jeezo!

Kick out all foreigners from the UK!!

Whats that stupid Pat Fenlon spraffing on about all the time, cant understand a word that irish twat is coming out with!

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Jeezo!

Kick out all foreigners from the UK!!

Whats that stupid Pat Fenlon spraffing on about all the time, cant understand a word that irish twat is coming out with!
    Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent.

Whilst you are correct to say that Paulo Sergio's English is better than my Portuguese, I found him quite difficult to understand and although his English is good, I wouldn't describe him as fluent.

As for Fenlon, last time I checked, the first language for most Irish people is English so I've got no idea why you've mentioned him.

Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent.

Whilst you are correct to say that Paulo Sergio's English is better than my Portuguese, I found him quite difficult to understand and although his English is good, I wouldn't describe him as fluent.

As for Fenlon, last time I checked, the first language for most Irish people is English so I've got no idea why you've mentioned him.
    I suspect he is more "completely fluent" in English than a good number of the local thick and borderline illiterate football pundits employed in Scotland

Your words, not mine.

Listen more attentively or put on the subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I suspect he is more "completely fluent" in English than a good number of the local thick and borderline illiterate football pundits employed in Scotland
    Fitba folk ken wits guan oan.

The boyz at the Beeb ken whay to git oan ra telly to git their point across in a real fitba folks way ken.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Fitba folk ken wits guan oan.

The boyz at the Beeb ken whay to git oan ra telly to git their point across in a real fitba folks way ken.
    Thank you Alan Preston

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Your words, not mine.

WTF that's it then, each and every foreign manager or player who are asked to be interviewed after a game should really consider whether their English is fluent enough before they accept!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Your words, not mine.

I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent

Since these are your words I take it you mean it?

How utterly absurd "command of the English language" indeed! Half the weegies wouldn't get on by this definition (maybe no bad thing ;) )

Rivalidade is rivalry he just got his ending wrong.
    Enemy in Portuguese is quite strong.

Bobo ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    If the criterion for fitba people to be interviewed on TV were a fluent command of the English language, none of us would ever know what Rooney and Beckham sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by reallapsedhibee View Post
    If the criterion for fitba people to be interviewed on TV were a fluent command of the English language, none of us would ever know what Rooney and Beckham sound like.

or sir alex pwoud vewy pwoud

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Your words, not mine.

Dear oh dear. That is embarrassing. "Foreigners"?! What world are you living in? An imaginary Daily Mail-inspired paradise?

GG

Spot on. I don't think we should let in any of those Johnny Foreigner types until they pass an advanced test (written and verbal) on English grammar, tense and pronunciation (with a mark of 100%).

That's my holiday to Spain goosed though, unless the entire Spanish language is "Dos Coca-Colas".

Coaching Staff
    I've got no problems at all with foreigners being on television, as long as their command of the English language is completely fluent...
    ...and preferably they're being interviewed over a satellite link to their home countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Spot on. I don't think we should let in any of those Johnny Foreigner types until they pass an advanced test (written and verbal) on English grammar, tense and pronunciation (with a mark of 100%).

That's my holiday to Spain goosed though, unless the entire Spanish language is "Dos Coca-Colas por favor".
    Fixed that for you
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Fixed that for you
    My Spanish vocabulary has been doubled! Thanks!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    Have to say didnt find him offensive, or deluded. BUT He wasnt a good pundit or add any real insight. He rambles like Lazlo, which while entertaining and amusing is not exactly a great choice for a football show. I dont think he will get booked again and as for the first remark about his comments about hibs it was the inane ramblings of someone clearly out of his comfort zone.

In short not a bad guy, but not inspiring or that interesting.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    I found him to be interesting and a good character and it was refreshing for him not to answer in the standard 'media training for dummies' way all the time. I'm guessing Rob McLean had the producers screaming in his ear throughout the show to get Sergio to move on but I thought it made Sportscene worth watching rather than just procrastinating on a Monday morning watching the online version!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by famous_five_hfc View Post
    I found him to be interesting and a good character and it was refreshing for him not to answer in the standard 'media training for dummies' way all the time. I'm guessing Rob McLean had the producers screaming in his ear throughout the show to get Sergio to move on but I thought it made Sportscene worth watching rather than just procrastinating on a Monday morning watching the online version!
    Definitely. I also got a bit fed up with McLean's attempts to needle about the wages situation and the crisis down Tynecastle.

Here's a chance to speak to a guy who clearly knows football and is willing to talk shop. Instead there were hints of the crisis here and there.

On the park, there is very little hint of any of the turbulence behind the scenes. Sergio deserves recognition for that. Also thought his answer to the question about Hibs/Hearts rivality was mature and considered.

He's a class act. Both he and Fenlon will be proved what can be achieved if clubs stop hiring from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round and bring in a fresh perspective.
    Last edited by steakbake; 16-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I must admit I thought he came over pretty well too. Maybe not the best pundit they've ever had on the programme but most definitely not the worst.
    I'm surprised the guy can still think straight working for that maniac (I mean Mad Vlad not Rob Maclean).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

If it was a 'figure of speech' from MacLean, it was one he should eject from his vocabulary right now.

Football's a game. Talking about 'enemies' is grossly irresponsible when you're the front man on a national TV's football highlights program. As if we don't have enough problems with football fans going to war over the OF games, now this numpty has to try to stir it up between the Edinburgh clubs. It's MacLean who should be hauled over the coals, not Sergio.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Hibs and Hearts fans went to derbies together, and stood together in unsegregated crowds without attacking one another, and then went off to the pub together afterwards. All that ended when Mercer came along, and I for one consider that that's one of the worst aspects of Mercer's effect on football in the capital.

As I understand it, Sergio has been learning to speak English really only since he came to Edinburgh. Seems to me he's doing OK.

Also he wasn't 'ranting'. MacLean (who should be a lot more aware of the implications of what he says on camera in his native language than he is) alleged that Hibs and Hearts were 'enemies'. Sadly, a lot of the fans these days see the other side as enemies, and this isn't helped by things media 'pundits' like Preston and Robertson and Hearts 'spokesmen' have come out with over the past few years. No wonder intelligent pundits like Pat Nevin tend to move on from BBC Scotland as quickly as the possibly can.

We get left with the likes of Billy Dodds and John Hughes.

Sergio quite reasonably and commendably clearly (since he was answering in a language foreign to him) made it very clear that while he considered Hibs to be the number one rivals of his own club, he saw no need to talk about 'enmity' and that he himself did not consider Hibs, or the Hibs players, or Pat Fenlon, his 'enemies'. The fact that he referred to Pat by his first name was refreshing to say the least. That sounded like one professional speaking with respect about another professional colleague, which is how it should be, IMO.

He came over to me as a decent guy - much more gracious and level-headed than Jefferies or Levein, to name but two.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar

Er, Paulo Sergio doesn't work on a Scottish television programme. He's a football manager who made a guest appearance.

Your retort is just as invalid.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    If it was a 'figure of speech' from MacLean, it was one he should eject from his vocabulary right now.

Football's a game. Talking about 'enemies' is grossly irresponsible when you're the front man on a national TV's football highlights program. As if we don't have enough problems with football fans going to war over the OF games, now this numpty has to try to stir it up between the Edinburgh clubs. It's MacLean who should be hauled over the coals, not Sergio.

I'm old enough to remember the time when Hibs and Hearts fans went to derbies together, and stood together in unsegregated crowds without attacking one another, and then went off to the pub together afterwards. All that ended when Mercer came along, and I for one consider that that's one of the worst aspects of Mercer's effect on football in the capital.

As I understand it, Sergio has been learning to speak English really only since he came to Edinburgh. Seems to me he's doing OK.

Also he wasn't 'ranting'. MacLean (who should be a lot more aware of the implications of what he says on camera in his native language than he is) alleged that Hibs and Hearts were 'enemies'. Sadly, a lot of the fans these days see the other side as enemies, and this isn't helped by things media 'pundits' like Preston and Robertson and Hearts 'spokesmen' have come out with over the past few years. No wonder intelligent pundits like Pat Nevin tend to move on from BBC Scotland as quickly as the possibly can.

We get left with the likes of Billy Dodds and John Hughes.

Sergio quite reasonably and commendably clearly (since he was answering in a language foreign to him) made it very clear that while he considered Hibs to be the number one rivals of his own club, he saw no need to talk about 'enmity' and that he himself did not consider Hibs, or the Hibs players, or Pat Fenlon, his 'enemies'. The fact that he referred to Pat by his first name was refreshing to say the least. That sounded like one professional speaking with respect about another professional colleague, which is how it should be, IMO.

He came over to me as a decent guy - much more gracious and level-headed than Jefferies or Levein, to name but two.

I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Definitely. I also got a bit fed up with McLean's attempts to needle about the wages situation and the crisis down Tynecastle.

Here's a chance to speak to a guy who clearly knows football and is willing to talk shop. Instead there were hints of the crisis here and there.

On the park, there is very little hint of any of the turbulence behind the scenes. Sergio deserves recognition for that. Also thought his answer to the question about Hibs/Hearts rivality was mature and considered.

He's a class act. Both he and Fenlon will be proved what can be achieved if clubs stop hiring from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round and bring in a fresh perspective.
    A surprisingly level-headed and mature individual (how did he ever agree to work at the PBS?) who comes across as a shrewd man-manager. Thought the bit about players moaning about travelling to Inverness could have been lifted directly from East Mains.

And his command of English is far, far superior to my phrase-book Portuguese. So I thought he communicated very well under the circumstances.

Disappointed. I was wanting to rant at him on TV and couldn't find a justifiable reason to do so.