hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin ?

Jim Goodwin ?

According to BBC gossip / Sunday mail ??

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to BBC gossip / Sunday mail ??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Goodwin

Don't know much about him as i never really notice opposition players when playing against us but a look at his wiki page isn't overly impressive, however going by lennons quote about him on his page makes him sound like the carachter we've been lacking.

"I always thought he was captain material and he's really grasped that opportunity. He leads by example on the pitch and off it too. You can tell by how well he's playing how much he's enjoying the responsibility. He really cares about the game and is so passionate and eager to learn"

Not a quote you could really use to describe many in our current squad.

He was the guy who had a spat with Palsson at ER a few games ago. Niggly, enforcer type in midfield who didn't do anything too fancy but was pretty effective from what I remember of him.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    when they did us at ER he was outstanding. He reminded me of the way that Kevin McBride played when he was on his game.

That would be a great signing He's singlehandedly owned the midfield at ER in two recent performances I recall, leaving Pallson looking stupid and close to tears on one occasion. (not that difficult, I hear you cry, but all the same).

Could fill the mythical and legendary 'Matty Jack role'.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully we are looking at creative midfielders and not more cluggers!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Jim Goodwin was Victor Palsson's "pal". They were forever at each others throat to try and prove who was the real hard man.

From what he lacked in skill he made up for in fitness and endeavour and might be the sort of character we need right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Hopefully we are looking at creative midfielders and not more cluggers!
    Nothing wrong with a 'clugger' if he's a clugger with talent
    But we do need a creative type as well.

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    Would be a good signing altho as he is the St Mirren captain, sure they'd be looking for a decent transfer fee?

Good age, has SPL experience and takes no prisoners. Could go someway to protecting our extremely soft touch defence.

Make it happen Paddy!

What i would like about this signing is that he would be moving to us based on being a success at another club rather than being released cos he's not good enough elsewhere so he'd come to us with a bit confidence about him. IMO that was a flaw in calderwoods signing policy, almost everyone signed was deemed not good enough by another club, probably with the exception of Jimmy Scott so it's no wonder we never had any for of spirit in the side.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Is a clugger, mixture of a clogger and a mugger?

Anyone got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by sundo1875 View Post
    Anyone got a link?
    Don't think its on the website and the bbc gossip column is just a one liner saying we're interested in him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Id be very pleased with this signing. Our defence is obviously a problem but they dont get enough protection from midfield which makes things worse. He would sit there, protecting the defence, and let others play. Plus he seems like a bit of a headcase which we dont really have, too many soft players. Right age, could very well be captain, hope this is true.

He'd be decent I think. Wouldn't mind his pal Paul McGowan as well but he's under contract for a while I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    He'd be decent I think. Wouldn't mind his pal Paul McGowan as well but he's under contract for a while I think.
    Am i right in saying Mcgowan is more of an attacking creative midfielder? If so then if Goodwin is as good as is being suggested then Mcgowan will unlikely to be the same player if he leaves.

All good attacking midfielders need a ball winner in there as well to give the ball to them and ease their defensive burden so hopefully if he does sign we could start to get even more from ozzie or start to get the best out of wotherspoon again.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Is a clugger, mixture of a clogger and a mugger?
    I may have invented a new word but it seems to describe Goodwin perfectly.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    He's more than a clugger. Takes the ball from goalie/defence and plays it through midfield. All our goals and best moves yesterday was when we played this way!

First Team Breakthrough budgiemcb's Avatar
    A boy in my work is his cousin and he mentioned during the week we were in for him so defo a bit of truth in this.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    His only talent lies in being a thug. I really hope he isn't on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Am i right in saying Mcgowan is more of an attacking creative midfielder? If so then if Goodwin is as good as is being suggested then Mcgowan will unlikely to be the same player if he leaves.

All good attacking midfielders need a ball winner in there as well to give the ball to them and ease their defensive burden so hopefully if he does sign we could start to get even more from ozzie or start to get the best out of wotherspoon again.
    Was very impressed with Mcgowan and Goodwin recently when they were live on Sky against Rangers - great work rate and McGowan looked creative also - can't see Saints giving them up easily.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    exactly what we need.....

I really like Goodwin and posted this after the st.mirren game at easter rd. I think he is better than just a ball winner tbh. He strolled through the game

against us and does the simple things really well. He is old school in that he is one of these guys that wins the battle then plays football. I think he would

bring something different to the table. He has a wee nasty streak as well and could do the job for us that Ian Black does for Hearts.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WalterSobzcek
    I would be very pleased with this. We need a 'boss' in midfield. And at centre half

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    I remember at Easter Road him sitting in front of the back four and spraying passes around, not just a psycho nutter and just what we need IMHO

Coaching Staff
    Goodwin is a fantastic character and a leader. Decent player too and I think takes penalties. He generally runs the games against us and he broke Palsson.

Him and Ozzy would be cracking partnership in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Goodwin is a fantastic character and a leader. Decent player too and I think takes penalties. He generally runs the games against us and he broke Palsson.

If we could fit Stephen Hughes in there too, we'd be looking good!

IMO wont happen, I dont think St Midden will let him go he is far to important to their current team to let him leave in january, possibly in the summer. Not overly fussed for him, agree he is a solid midfielder which may do a turn, just for some reason am no bothered about him. Dont get me wrong if he came I wouldnt be unhappy, just wouldnt be delighted either.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

I agree. He's much more than a guy who breaks up play. I heard Derek Ferguson rave about his passing abilities earlier on this season on the wireless.

First Team Breakthrough
    A few folk have already posted this but thought I would add my tuppence worth. Having watched Goodwin I agree he is not just a "clugger" - his appearance makes people think that but he is decent on the ball and doesn't hide from taking it to his feet. Would be what we need but it could be rubbish rumour again.