hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shambles today

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for the first time, you have missed the point. There was not seats left for anyone to sit in. Then farce of stewards and the police. There was litlle chance of an incident but it was another trip to EEP at which the home side failed to manage the crowd correctly.
    There were plenty empty seats ;-) just a lack of people willing to seek them out
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I cant believe anyone thought their safety was in question, did anyone feel afraid yesterday just because there was a couple of hundred extra people in the stand?

We do like to get all high and mighty when the slightest thing does not go to plan.
    Agree with you Blackpool. It was a bit inconvenient but no big deal. My main concern was that our fans in the north stand were denied the chance of getting a DAFC Steak Bridie :)

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    There were plenty empty seats ;-) just a lack of people willing to seek them out
    Correct. I could see dozens of empty seats around me, mostly singles though to be fair. The stand was NOT at capacity it was just difficult to find seats together.

Having said that, why the the wee stand at the side wasn't open from the start is beyond me. Everyone knew we'd have a big support over.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Correct. I could see dozens of empty seats around me, mostly singles though to be fair. The stand was NOT at capacity it was just difficult to find seats together.

Having said that, why the the wee stand at the side wasn't open from the start is beyond me. Everyone knew we'd have a big support over.
    Everyone apart from DAFC officials.......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I know, the mass hysteria yesterday when a few folk had their seats occupied could have resulted in mayhem. It was nearly Hysel all over again.

A few folk were put out a little, no big deal. A seat was taken and its total lack of organisation? Me personally i'd just move along to one thats empty, again thats just me. Some folk need lead by the hand.
    Typical response from you, expected nothing less really

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Typical response from you, expected nothing less really
    As i said, some folk need taken by the hand, and cant use the brains they were born with.

As i said, some folk need taken by the hand, and cant use the brains they were born with.
    Oh dear and another one!!!!

Oh dear and another one!!!!
    I got on a train from Euston to Preston at xmas, there was nearly as many folk standing ALL the way to Preston that were sitting. I never heard anyone complain during the journey. They moved along the train looking for seats while the train was moving,( i know scary eh) but there were none. As i said, some folk couldn't go shopping without help. I should have been on the virgin rail site starting a shambles thread.

I got on a train from Euston to Preston at xmas, there was nearly as many folk standing ALL the way to Preston that were sitting. I never heard anyone complain during the journey. They moved along the train looking for seats while the train was moving,( i know scary eh) but there were none. As i said, some folk couldn't go shopping without help. I should have been on the virgin rail site starting a shambles thread.

Pish example to use just like your Heysel attempt!

Pish example to use just like your Heysel attempt!
    Football fan exaggerates, call the police.

Football fan exaggerates, call the police.
    Football fan has no answer so reverts to posting nonsense............call the Police...................no wait it's blackpoolhibs he slavers pish aw the time, phew...................panic over. Next!

Football fan has no answer so reverts to posting nonsense............call the Police...................no wait it's blackpoolhibs he slavers pish aw the time, phew...................panic over. Next!
    Well thanks for clearing that up.

I'm so glad everyone who went to east end park on saturday, managed to get in and out safely. The stress you had to put yourself through must have been so uncomfortable, some may be seeking help today as we speak.

I'd personally think twice about putting myself through that again, i dont think i could ever get over someone sitting in my seat?

It would scar me for ever.

Looking on the brightside, wasnt it a fantastic away crowd, not sure how the Scotsman can say 2000 travelling fans, looked nearer 3500/4000 to me.

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad everyone who went to east end park on saturday, managed to get in and out safely. The stress you had to put yourself through must have been so uncomfortable, some may be seeking help today as we speak.

I'd personally think twice about putting myself through that again, i dont think i could ever get over someone sitting in my seat?

It would scar me for ever.
    The points you're making here are ridiculous. Its not much to do with safety, its to do with a club being able to manage an event effectively, and the police/stewarding failing to respond to changing circumstances. That said , if there had ben only maybe a hundred or so more people pitching up it could have started to become a safety issue.but I agree probably not.

Its not an unreasonable expectation to be able to come to a game and take a seat. If you buy a ticket with a seat number in order to sit with some of your mates or family its not unreasonable to expect to be able to actually sit together in those seats is it? Its not the fault of the people who are asked to move, but if youve got kids with you should you be expected to sit far away from them as there are only single seats left? (As I was once told to do by a plukey we fud at Tannadice as Jim McLean pointed and laughed from his Directors box - there is a pattern of incompetence here). Maybe those people should just accept it as you seem to suggest?

Your rather high handed "people need led by the hand" is fine if it was relevant. Its not. People weren't being inept or pathetic or stupid. They were trying to watch a game of football at a football ground, and were met with a blank wall of incompetence. If nothing else, its hugely indicative of the general contempt with which football fans are treated by the police. Nowt wrong with bumping our collective gums about this.
    Last edited by Twa Cairpets; 16-01-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    The points you're making here are ridiculous. Its not much to do with safety, its to do with a club being able to manage an event effectively, and the police/stewarding failing to respond to changing circumstances. That said , if there had ben only maybe a hundred or so more people pitching up it could have started to become a safety issue.but I agree probably not.

It snot an unreasonable expectation to be able to come to a game and take a seat. If you buy a ticket with a seat number in order to sit with some of your mates or family its not unreasonable to expect to be able to actually sit together in those seats is it? Its not the fault of the people who are asked to move, but if youve got kids with you should you be expected to sit far away from them as there are only single seats left? (As I was once told to do by a plukey we fud at Tannadice as Jim McLean pointed and laughed from his Directors box - there is a pattern of incompetence here). Maybe those people should just accept it as you seem to suggest?

Your rather high handed "people need led by the hand" is fine if it was relevant. Its not. People weren't being inept or pathetic or stupid. They were trying to watch a game of football at a football ground, and were met with a blank wall of incompetence. If nothing else, its hugely indicative of the general contempt with which football fans are treated by the police. Nowt wrong with bumping our collective gums about this.
    You put some decent points across, most i actually agree with. Yet all i have heard was a couple of people needed to move seats, family's were not split, just a few folk having to move. Its hardly a catastrophe imo.

We moan because nobody follows the club away, then when we do get a big support, we still moan. And some folk then spout on about how having a couple of hundred extra folk in a stand somehow makes a standing area a non starter??? I know football fans will moan about inept stewarding or policing, yet most folk said it was the best away day in years.

Personally i hope we have to put up with this inept kind of policing for a the foreseeable future.

People talk about wanting to bring in safe standing areas! FFS judging by yesterdays shambles and the shambles at Motherwell recently, stadium safety is no where near what is required for seated areas let alone standing!!!

What exactly has that got to do with what happened on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

Dont you know, christ it was mayhem on saturday. Folk had to move their seat.

You put some decent points across, most i actually agree with. Yet all i have heard was a couple of people needed to move seats, family's were not split, just a few folk having to move. Its hardly a catastrophe imo.

We moan because nobody follows the club away, then when we do get a big support, we still moan. And some folk then spout on about how having a couple of hundred extra folk in a stand somehow makes a standing area a non starter??? I know football fans will moan about inept stewarding or policing, yet most folk said it was the best away day in years.

Personally i hope we have to put up with this inept kind of policing for a the foreseeable future.
    No one is saying it's a catastrophe

The thread title is "shambles today" - which is not an over reaction just what it was on Saturday.

The bigger picture is that this is not the 1st time it's happened and with Hibs fans at East End Park. With the game the way it is right now and Scottish Football struggling - the fan / customer should be able to go to a game with minimal hassle / disruption.

I mentioned in this thread earlier - there were families - with 2 or 3 kids (the future of our support) getting there early 2pm - then finding a vacant seat - for some person to turn up at 2.55pm to say they had a ticket for that seat - meaning the dad and 3 kids were walking around missing the start of the game and not knowing what was happening or where they were going to watch the game having been in the ground for an hour already.

Common sense organisation and learning from previous games would have avoided this all - and Hibs supporters arguing with each other which is happening on this thread and happened on Saturday when fans turned up with tickets and others were unaware certain seats had been reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Dear Mr Yorkston

Next time you decide to host our wonderful fans at your stadium
    a) dont have a mixture of tickets with seat numbers and pay at the gate without tickets
    b) or if you do let the stewards know that they should just tell everyone to sit anywhere and make a tannoy announcement to this effect
    c) have a plan B just in case more fans turn up than you expected

Complete shambles from Dunfermline Athletic, G4S Stewards and Fife Constabulary.
    Just out of curiosity, if the attendance was 6300 how many were Hibbys? How many does that stand hold?

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    just noticed on the dunfy official site that the game on saturday was the last game for PATG, home/away fans will have to purchase tickets at kiosks from now on

Quote Originally Posted by salinehibs View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if the attendance was 6300 how many were Hibbys? How many does that stand hold?

GGTTH
    I've been wondering that too. Just found this http://www.scottishgrounds.co.uk/dunfermline.htm

says that the capacity of the East Stand is just over 3000 - so I reckon we must have had close to 4000 there on Saturday right enough

Let me think............I mentioned standing, seating and stadium safety, there that about sums it up. I see it relating if you don't then fine that's fair enough.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 16-01-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Let me think............I mentioned standing, seating and stadium safety, there that about sums it up. I see it relating if you don't then fine that's fair enough.
    Nope, sorry, still not with you.

Tickets were sold beforehand for specific seats and then not respected by the stewards. That led to some arguments and fans being moved to the other stand. The organisation was a shambles.

What exactly would have been the difference if the area in question was terracing? (other than the fact there could be no argument over specific seat numbers)

Nope, sorry, still not with you.

Tickets were sold beforehand for specific seats and then not respected by the stewards. That led to some arguments and fans being moved to the other stand. The organisation was a shambles.

What exactly would have been the difference if the area in question was terracing? (other than the fact there could be no argument over specific seat numbers)
    My point was aimed at the argument that safety at stadiums being far superior these days and times have changed, better organistion, policing, stewarding etc. I therefore was pointing out that Saturday's shambles clearly demonstrated this is not the case in all grounds and until we can sort out how to do it properly we shouldn't be considering a change to terracing or standing areas. Again just my take on things, I'm not going to get involved in another standing/seating debate. As someone who works in H&S I was apalled at the lack of organisation on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    Your rather high handed "people need led by the hand" is fine if it was relevant. Its not. People weren't being inept or pathetic or stupid. They were trying to watch a game of football at a football ground, and were met with a blank wall of incompetence. If nothing else, its hugely indicative of the general contempt with which football fans are treated by the police (and some stewards). Nowt wrong with bumping our collective gums about this.
    The above paragraph is closer than you probably think. In the days when Rock Steady Security were the ubiquitous event safety company in Scotland, the basic training (comprising 3 presentations delivered by the 'training team' comprising a former police officer, former firefighter and a pleasant enough wee chap who had his own First-Aid training company) was prefaced by the line - "In this line of work it is imperative that we assume the general public is stupid, and we are there to guide them safely through the day." Highly ironic given the recruitment directive from senior management (who often referred to many stewards as merely 'jacket fillers') to those who conducted the interviews was, "just get as many boadies as ye can"

Obviously I can't pass comment on the company as they operate under the auspices of G4S, but there are still a lot of the same faces involved.

@hibs.net private member
    We arrived about 2.30 on Saturday and were queueing for about 15 minutes when a steward told us the second stand was opening but there would be no catering facilities. We went round and got in no problem. Initially I thought good job done with kick off slightly delayed. On reading the posts here it appears as though fans were still getting in to the original stand after it was full. Why didn't they simply re-direct everyone to the other stand?

Despite Blackpool Hibs flipant take on things, that is serious. (Forget how Hillsborough started? Too many folk in the same terracing.) I know that we normally won't be in a position like this but for the 3rd time this season Hibs fans have been exposed to potential danger due to incompetent policing/stewarding.

What if there had been a fire at Motherwell? We couldn't make out the announcements and were left standing there. It appeared that the stewards/police didn't know what to do either. There was no leadership at all.

According to fans the steps at Tannadice were getting blocked for a while creating a high risk (I wasn't there so can't comment myself).

Now Saturday's shambles. Once again a lack of leadership was very evident. In addition, another point which no-one has commented on is the fact that no stewards were in front of the Hibs fans in the wee stand. Infact ,there were very few stewards in that stand. In the event of an emergency what would have happened?

A pattern has developed and it is important these problems are addressed before someone gets hurt.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Dont you know, christ it was mayhem on saturday. Folk had to move their seat.
    Which is fine if everyone is level headed, which they're not. Imagine taking a family along then having a heated argument with a couple of guys over the tickets v patg and not being able to see any other groups of seats.

According to you it was just a case of moving along. What and getting the kids to sit on a seat by themselves?

It was a shambles and i was perfectly correct in raising the issue for discussion.

And there you have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Which is fine if everyone is level headed, which they're not. Imagine taking a family along then having a heated argument with a couple of guys over the tickets v patg and not being able to see any other groups of seats.

According to you it was just a case of moving along. What and getting the kids to sit on a seat by themselves?

It was a shambles and i was perfectly correct in raising the issue for discussion.
    Something i will certainly agree with you on.