hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe if ref's gave fouls when players are fouled and try to stay on their feet then players would be less inclined to go down on contact.
    Totally agree, people always quite rightly get annoyed by players diving, however as you say if a players fouled they only get the free kick when he goes down.

I've not got too much sympathy for GoC though, there's been a few times when he's chucked himself down too easily, even the one against st johnstone he was cleared of i still think he was guilty, just cos there's contact there isn't any need to go down the way he does.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Totally agree, people always quite rightly get annoyed by players diving, however as you say if a players fouled they only get the free kick when he goes down.

I've not got too much sympathy for GoC though, there's been a few times when he's chucked himself down too easily, even the one against st johnstone he was cleared of i still think he was guilty, just cos there's contact there isn't any need to go down the way he does.
    Hibs explained at a fans forum that they took their own video evidence along to O'connors appeal that day, and while everyone was going on about whether or not he was tripped, the the angle of the hibs footage showed that it was more to do with his upper body being blocked off. Something you couldn't see from the other camera angles that the tv showed. This is why he was cleared

Garry was definitely fouled so his reaction should not have any influence on the referees decision.

What annoyed me more was the ridiculous incident near the end when the referee stopped play for treatment to a Pars player who went down in front of Hibs penalty area. He decided to restart play with a bounce up in front of Hibs area when we had taken the ball out wide and let them contest it. It should have taken place where the ball was when he stopped play and he should have got the Pars player to knock it back to Hibs.

Either cheating or incompetence. I know what I think.

Blog Entries
    We've only had one pen all season & our player got hit with a 2 match ban ( later rescinded ) for that!! Our refs are hopeless, bring back Alan Freeland!!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Garry was definitely fouled so his reaction should not have any influence on the referees decision.

What annoyed me more was the ridiculous incident near the end when the referee stopped play for treatment to a Pars player who went down in front of Hibs penalty area. He decided to restart play with a bounce up in front of Hibs area when we had taken the ball out wide and let them contest it. It should have taken place where the ball was when he stopped play and he should have got the Pars player to knock it back to Hibs.

Either cheating or incompetence. I know what I think.
    Yes I was angered by that incident as well, I thought Brown was in possession of the ball when the ref halted play so play should have simply resumed with a kick from Brown, totally unsporting of Pars to the contest the bounced ball!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQM View Post
    Stonewaller. He did the boy and was ready to score IMO. He did go down too dramatically tho.
    If he'd attempted to stay on his feet he might just have got the claim as he was very clearly fouled - but Garry's tendency to swan dive the moment contact is made cost him dear as the referee confirmed his incompetence and misplaced pre-conceptions by waving a card for diving.

It was a poor decision in keeping with the refs general performance - I counted three separate occasions when he failed to play a clear advantage - pulling Hibs back from possible goal scoring opportunities to award fairly inocuous free kicks 10 or 20 yards further back.

From where I was standing it genuinely seemed like the ref was trying to help the Pars get a result and it makes you wonder if the recently exposed refereeing bigot from down south has got some like minded pals north of the border.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Talk about a reputation going before you! Shocking decision by referee who had an absolute mare yesterday

Ref had a shocker yesterday, total clown. O'Conner would have been better staying on his feet as he was right in on goal so can see no reason why he would dive. The incident was right in front of us and it was clearly a stonewall penalty, how the ref could think otherwise is beyond me but I guess we just have to accept it as the refereeing standard in this country is beyond a joke.

Would be more rajing about it if we hadnt been winning at the time and that penalty was our chance to win it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    So let me get this straight...

GOC is clearly fouled, tripped, impeded etc

He then goes down like almost EVERY player in EVERY other league in the world bar te SPL and that's enough to constitute, 1. Not giving a penalty, 2. Booking GOC for diving & 3. Officials, reporters & our own fans labelling him a "diver"?!

Very good indeed
    We have a ridiculous attitude to these things in our country and it costs us at international level IMO - not a hope in hell GOC would have been booked for that incident in Germany/Spain/Italy/Brazil/Argentina. Reason? He was clearly fouled and the win at all costs culture which exists in these countrys dictates that virtually ANY player would attempt to make the most of such circumstances. Referees - not being biassed against such behaviour - would then be looking for one thing and one thing only - did a foul occur?
    In the incident yesterday the answer to that question was an emphatic YES.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Maybe if ref's gave fouls when players are fouled and try to stay on their feet then players would be less inclined to go down on contact.
    Exactly. IMO if a player is fouled in the box but stays on his feet the ref should play advantage and, if a goal isn't scored, bring it back for a penalty.

If a player doesn't go down (and make it bl**din' obvious!) most refs will just pretend nothing's happened for an easy life.

Another point: several people on here are saying it was a penalty but Gary 'made the most of it', i.e. dived, having been fouled. Could a referee give a penalty AND book the player for diving! Serious question BTW.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby View Post
    Exactly. IMO if a player is fouled in the box but stays on his feet the ref should play advantage and, if a goal isn't scored, bring it back for a penalty.

If a player doesn't go down (and make it bl**din' obvious!) most refs will just pretend nothing's happened for an easy life.

Another point: several people on here are saying it was a penalty but Gary 'made the most of it', i.e. dived, having been fouled. Could a referee give a penalty AND book the player for diving! Serious question BTW.
    No he couldn't. He can't judge how a player reacts or goes down after contact. It's either a foul/penalty or simulation.