hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    certainly looked like contact was made, i'l reserve judgement after i've saw it on the tellybox, also thought sparky's yellow was a tad harsh lost count of how many times sparky and gazza thumped the badge on their jerseys, they trying to tell us sommit oh and p.s. great hibs support(including in the overflow stand)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has made the most of things though. You can be fouled and also dive at the same time which is what he does.
    Literally thousands of Old Firm penalties and fouls given in those exact circumstances though...

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    There was contact no doubt, but GOC made a meal of it with the swan dive, unfortunately his reputation proceeds him, therefore the referee thought he was being conned......
    So refs now put more effort into studying the aesthetics of the dive than the actual foul. Maybe they've been watching too much Swan Lake...or Monty Python.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroorange View Post
    Literally thousands of Old Firm penalties and fouls given in those exact circumstances though...
    Completely agree, it really does depend what strip you where. I think you need to ask yourself the question, would a Celtc or Rangers player be booked in the same circumstances that GOC is now being judged. Not a chance in hell.

He has been marked with the refs in their training session no doubt whispering and joking about getting him. Todays one and the ICT one were both penalties. We will notice the difference if he goes to Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    There was contact no doubt, but GOC made a meal of it with the swan dive, unfortunately his reputation proceeds him, therefore the referee thought he was being conned......
    Yeah. Agree with you there BF. While it was defo a pen IMO - Gary was milking it big time as he was going down. Had he not done that he might have got his pen.

Looked like a pen

Ref was miles away and incident was opposite side from assistant ref.

Ref was poor today - for both teams - but gave more against Hibs.

I rarely blame the refs but he made some strange ones - like the incident with 5 mins to go with LG and Galbraith had the ball in the corner - gave a freekick and he wasn't offside ? ?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I was quite high up in line with the incident, and looked like he would have been better trying to stay on his feet and having a crack at goal.

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen today's yet but his booking at Pittodrie was ludicrous as is the fact you can't appeal against a booking. Wouldn't surprise me if PF came out with a comment re GOC's unfair treatment, it's getting beyond a joke.

I think most people are missing the point! If the referee had been watching the whole play instead of looking at the players reaction he would have seen it was a blatant penalty i was behind it and the Dunfermline player definitely fouled GO`C regardless whether he went down like he`d been shot by a sniper. Ref was very poor

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    It looked to me like he got tripped, but agree he makes it look far too dramatic, he looks like bloody superman. You can't really tell if there was any contact in this though..

5911579_5911579.jpg

http://www.snspix.com/5911579/print/5911579.html

Quote Originally Posted by woodythehibee View Post
    Agree with the initial post. Also, there is no reason for GOC to go down there. Poor refereeing
    GOC made it look worse than it did, giving the ref an excuse to avoid giving a pen - when he didn't have to. Simple facts are:

1. GOC WAS plainly fouled in the box and a pen should have been given - really poor refereeing that could have cost us the game.
    2. GOC had nutmegged the defender brilliantly to open up the goal - why would he dive if not impeded ?

If the refs in Scotland were any good at all, GOC would not have had to try "make the most of the foul". But we have crap refs who need to see blood before they can make a decision - unless its the OF of course :)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    GOC made it look worse than it did, giving the ref an excuse to avoid giving a pen - when he didn't have to. Simple facts are:

1. GOC WAS plainly fouled in the box and a pen should have been given - really poor refereeing that could have cost us the game.
    2. GOC had nutmegged the defender brilliantly to open up the goal - why would he dive if not impeded ?

If the refs in Scotland were any good at all, GOC would not have had to try "make the most of the foul". But we have crap refs who need to see blood before they can make a decision - unless its the OF of course :)
    Well said

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    It looked to me like he got tripped, but agree he makes it look far too dramatic, he looks like bloody superman. You can't really tell if there was any contact in this though..

5911579_5911579.jpg

http://www.snspix.com/5911579/print/5911579.html
    Look where the pars players leg is. No attempt to pull it back

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Look where the pars players leg is. No attempt to pull it back

I think he makes connection with the left leg as well, no idea why O'Connor would pass away the oppurtunity to have an effort from that far out at the risk of being booked.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The boy who cried wolf springs to mind. Thought he was poor.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post

Agreed. He had a shot fae 7 yards.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    The boy who cried wolf springs to mind. Thought he was poor.
    Really?? When did he cry wolf exactly?? And yeah, his finish finish for the 2nd goal was really poor

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I was right behind the incident and it was a definite penalty. The defender stuck his leg out and caught O'Connor.

To turn down the penalty appeal was bad enough, to book O'Connor for diving was disgraceful.

Unfortunately his number's been marked by referees after such a big deal was made of his apparent dive against St. Johnstone.

That shouldn't be the way they look at things though.
    Agree that it was definitely a penalty, but there was nothing disgraceful about O'Connor being booked, it was right in front of me too,and he was far too theatrical, not to mention the fact that I think he should have scored anyway. just my opinion though, and obviously glad we won anyway.

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar
    I had a great view of the incident as it was right in front of me.

It definitely was a penalty!

However, Garry's ridiculous dive after the contact from the defender was excrutiatingly embarrassing.

I'm sure the ref was influenced by this, and robbed us of a 2 goal lead near the end of the game.

Scored a cracking goal earlier tho!

Left by mutual consent!
    So let me get this straight...

GOC is clearly fouled, tripped, impeded etc

He then goes down like almost EVERY player in EVERY other league in the world bar te SPL and that's enough to constitute, 1. Not giving a penalty, 2. Booking GOC for diving & 3. Officials, reporters & our own fans labelling him a "diver"?!

Very good indeed

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post

He then goes down like almost EVERY player in EVERY other league in the world bar te SPL and that's enough to constitute, 1. Not giving a penalty, 2. Booking GOC for diving & 3. Officials, reporters & our own fans labelling him a "diver"?!

Very good indeed
    It's ok JI, there's been fans for months desperate to label GOC as a diver, when the only time he was pulled up for it, he was cleared by a SPL panel due to the video evidence shown by Hibernian FC. any opportunity to stick the boot into one of our own players tho!

I'll also say, I do believe o Connor has been touting himself around to get a better wage elsewhere, as we all expected would happen when he signed in the summer, BUT, I still think the club is important to him. The result seemed to mean a lot to him, ivan, and Griffiths today.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post

Very good indeed

Nah it more like Tom Daly

Testimonial Due
    The standard of ref in this league is nothing short of a disgrace, these guys clearly have no pride in their job. Whether it be big decisions like penatlies, red cards etc or where a free kick or thown is taken from, the could not get the right answer is they have a team and an instant replay at the sidelines.

There have been some very big decisions that have gone against us recently, dont get me wrong we dont deserve to be in third but - the Aberdeen penalty, and red card against the hertz are two that cost us points in as many weeks.

I think O'Connor was fouled and it should have been a pen. I was in the main stand today so have a decent view. What I would say is that O'Connor is terrible at going down, I think someone could take a pole to his legs and it would still look like over-acting. He needs to get better at going down properly.

In addition the St J, at easter road, which was about a million years ago, if refs are targeting him they should be doing it properly. I very much hope the club is putting together a DVD and passing it to the committee of rangers and celtic fans that look into these things.

Whilst today did not affect the out come of the game, that is the 2nd yellow he has been given, for what in my view, was a pen. If he ends up taking a suspension we will have lost yet again, like when the boy at aberdeen dived (then had his red card taken back) and when the jambo grunt got a red card three days after the game.......SPL farce.

It is all fair and well these fat cats bleating on about a new TV deal, how about they improve the standard of their employees to give the clubs in the league a chance of doing the same.

Rant over.....still a very happy man tonight, and looking forward to a drunken day at the darts tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Agree that it was definitely a penalty, but there was nothing disgraceful about O'Connor being booked, it was right in front of me too,and he was far too theatrical, not to mention the fact that I think he should have scored anyway. just my opinion though, and obviously glad we won anyway.
    You agree that we should have got a penalty but you don't think the fact that O'Connor was instead booked for diving was disgraceful?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    You agree that we should have got a penalty but you don't think the fact that O'Connor was instead booked for diving was disgraceful?

I see what he means, it was clear, to us anyway that it was a penalty, however I can see why O'Connor's theatrical fall may have mislead the ref into believing that he dived.

Gamer IDs

What annoys me is, this new god, the compliance officer, is quick to jump in with bans for players retrospectively, but I bet there's not much chance of removing cards that shouldn't have been. It should be a 2 way street!!

What annoys me is, this new god, the compliance officer, is quick to jump in with bans for players retrospectively, but I bet there's not much chance of removing cards that shouldn't have been. It should be a 2 way street!!
    To be fair to him, I don't think there's actually anything within the rules of football which allows him to remove yellow cards retrospectively.

Could be wrong though.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Really?? When did he cry wolf exactly?? And yeah, his finish finish for the 2nd goal was really poor
    Diving and attempting to and claiming penalties previosly? Y'know that's not the first time he's been done?

I thought it was a peno - He's got a wee rep as a diver now though so no ref's gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and it's his own fault.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Maybe if ref's gave fouls when players are fouled and try to stay on their feet then players would be less inclined to go down on contact.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Diving and attempting to and claiming penalties previosly? Y'know that's not the first time he's been done?

I thought it was a peno - He's got a wee rep as a diver now though so no ref's gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and it's his own fault.
    So because he's been booked previously that means it was a dive on that occasion? Personally it was similar to yesterday's. Was a foul but the way he went down didn't help