hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two players.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry for being negative before they've even signed but If they are the answer why has it taken almost 2 weeks into the window for us to go for them? Especially considering one of them is a free agent.

If they were that good we would have got them in right away like we did with Doyle but I'm guessing we got knocked back for our original targets so have gone for these guys as a stop gap, again all guess work but I think they'll probably be better than what we've got but not the answer long term
    It concerns me that we dont seem to be looking at any real experience in the SPL, and just strikes me as more than what has gone on before. I accept what hes saying about our league position, but is there really noone else we could be going in for? We are a reasonably big club in Scotland, offer good wages and whilst we arent doing well, the point of bringing new guys in is that they are almost guaranteed the opportunity to help turn things around. If these are the guys we are going for then good luck to them, I genuinely hope they have what it takes, lets get them in before Dunfermline!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    It concerns me that we dont seem to be looking at any real experience in the SPL, and just strikes me as more than what has gone on before. I accept what hes saying about our league position, but is there really noone else we could be going in for? We are a reasonably big club in Scotland, offer good wages and whilst we arent doing well, the point of bringing new guys in is that they are almost guaranteed the opportunity to help turn things around. If these are the guys we are going for then good luck to them, I genuinely hope they have what it takes, lets get them in before Dunfermline!
    If we had the money up front to start attracting players and paying transfer fees to sides around us, I would agree with the first point.

It seems to be though that there is now an established route where players from LOI and the Northern Irish teams go to Scotland and lower leagues in England and gradually move up to EPL, Championship and top Div 1 level if they are any good. Similarly, our good players end up in Div 1, Championship and if they are very good, EPL.

We are somewhere just below the middle in this hierarchy.

As long as we're bringing in quality, they do a job for us and we get some cash on their way out, I'm happy with it.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Partner for Eoin to replace Garry the Hun and Leigh the Fool
    I can't believe you've had numerous posts slating Hibs fans for not supporting the team, criticizing the team etc. Then you post that!

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    The Lith got sent packing after one session was my info, it would have taken a couple of months to get him up to speed.
    Fenlon still likes the player but hasn't got time to wait and was p-d off that the player hadn't kept himself in better shape.

Sorry for being negative before they've even signed but If they are the answer why has it taken almost 2 weeks into the window for us to go for them? Especially considering one of them is a free agent.

If they were that good we would have got them in right away like we did with Doyle but I'm guessing we got knocked back for our original targets so have gone for these guys as a stop gap, again all guess work but I think they'll probably be better than what we've got but not the answer long term
    2 reasons.

1. No one wants to sign for Hibs.

2. Agreements have to be reached with the preferably punted before Paddy and Lindsay know what wages they've got to spread around. Then the negotiating starts.

Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    I can't believe you've had numerous posts slating Hibs fans for not supporting the team, criticizing the team etc. Then you post that!
    Clearly he/she has decided to try and fit in more.

First Team Regular Bohemian_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainboy View Post
    Ahh, great memories!

On his day, Brennan can be magic. He's got a great left foot and is lethal from set-pieces, as you will see in that video. The downside with Brennan is that he is the moodiest of players and can completely disappear in games. He's a narky player who could moan for Ireland.

Quity simply, when he's good, he's very good. When he's bad, he's unbelievably bad. That said, I don't rate Galbraith and think Brennan is an overall better player who would give the team a bit more.

As a Bohs fan, I despise Gary Twigg. He's tried to wind us up on a few occasions, but maybe somewhere there's a grudging admiration of his goalscoring record. He's not the fastest in the world, not the most mobile, not the greatest header, does not have the best shot in the world, but...... he has this (horrible) habit of being in the right place at the right time and his goalscoring record since he came over here has been impressive. That said, he wasn't an automatic choice in the rovers side last year and as he approaches his 28th birthday, as a striker his best days may well be behind him?

Slightly worrying, yet predictable IMO, that most of the players that Nutsy has been linked with are from the League of Ireland. The standard of the league here has fallen considerably in the last few years so with a few exceptions, I think he has to widen his net...
    Last edited by Bohemian_Hibee; 12-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Sure he's looking forward to setting down roots and branching out his career playing his budding football in Leaf...
    Great lol

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post
    So much so for Paddy sorting out the route cause of our troubles. Unless these guys are versatile and can play defense.
    Are you sure its defenders we really need imo we need strikers and creative midfielders if you look at our defensive record over the last 3 years it hasnt changed much what has changed is the amount of goals we have scored. The season we finished 4th we had stokes and deek banging them in but we still lost plenty at the back. I think most people would agree our defence is shocking but would two or three defenders keep us up im not sure but if we signed someone capable of getting us a few goals i think that would be enough to keep us up then we can work on the defence for next season

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

2. Agreements have to be reached with the preferably punted before Paddy and Lindsay know what wages they've got to spread around. Then the negotiating starts
    Why is this only being done 2 weeks into the window, that's the sort if thing that should have been sorted out in preparation for the window opened.

First Team Breakthrough woodyloon's Avatar
    I agree both players look good prospects. I think a big plus about both players are firstly they have played with teams that are used to winning so they have that mentallity, also they have been invovled with teams that have won and/or challanged for honours.
    IMO I don't think the standard of player in the LOI is that bad, I would say that some of the players are as good as any decent SPL player, so I would have no problem adding to our current squad, think it would be much needed fresh blood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian_Dub View Post
    Ahh, great memories!

On his day, Brennan can be magic. He's got a great left foot and is lethal from set-pieces, as you will see in that video. The downside with Brennan is that he is the moodiest of players and can completely disappear in games. He's a narky player who could moan for Ireland.

Quity simply, when he's good, he's very good. When he's bad, he's unbelievably bad. That said, I don't rate Galbraith and think Brennan is an overall better player who would give the team a bit more.

As a Bohs fan, I despise Gary Twigg. He's tried to wind us up on a few occasions, but maybe somewhere there's a grudging admiration of his goalscoring record. He's not the fastest in the world, not the most mobile, not the greatest header, does not have the best shot in the world, but...... he has this (horrible) habit of being in the right place at the right time and his goalscoring record since he came over here has been impressive. That said, he wasn't an automatic choice in the rovers side last year and as he approaches his 28th birthday, as a striker his best days may well be behind him?

Slightly worrying, yet predictable IMO, that most of the players that Nutsy has been linked with are from the League of Ireland. The standard of the league here has fallen considerably in the last few years so with a few exceptions, I think he has to widen his net...
    Great to get some 1st hand comments & vids brought back happy memories of our trip to St Pats. Mind you Zibi made his debut that night & we thought he was a star!! I share your thoughts re Twigg, I remember him from his Airdrie/Brechin days, think MON was his manager at Brechin, & he looked a good goal poacher but not much else. As we've already got Doyle for that role & he's faster & younger, then I'm not sure where Twigg would fit in other than back up. I like the possibility of Brennan, he could be one of those players who plays better in a higher standard whereas I think Twigg is the opposite.

A stepping stone to his "boyhood heroes?"

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    A stepping stone to his "boyhood heroes?"

How can Hibs be seen as anything other than a stepping stone or retirement home these days?

Have just watched clips and read bout Brennan and Twigg.

At the moment we need a spark in the middle of the park. If PF thinks Brennan is the one then that's good enough for me.

As for Twigg... Scored a few. Headers shots etc has but of skill bout him and seems to find space and is at the right place at right time.

Yeah folk keep saying that they might not bee good but sorry I am more than certain that the 2 would be welcome additions and an improvement on wot we already have.

How can Hibs be seen as anything other than a stepping stone or retirement home these days?
    Very true Speedo, just stating the bleeding obvious

Blog Entries
    As opposed to that entirely mythical club that exists in the mind of the deluded where Hibs are at the very pinnacle of every players dreams as a professional player?

Doubtless you'd describe players in their mid-late twenties as "journeymen"?

Can you name me some players in the last, say, twenty years who would be consistently capable of playing at a higher level who has opted to stay with Hibs over a long term?

Every club bar a tiny, tiny few is a stepping stone on the way to somewhere.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Typical Hibs fan culture to find the downside about every player we are linked with

I reckon they look good, didn't expect anything other than to be linked with Irish players, seeing as it's what Fenlon knows and has experience with

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian_Dub View Post
    Ahh, great memories!

I thought I was reading the Riordon to Kille thread, sounds like Brennan and Deek are very similar.

Sounds like the type of player we need, someone with a bit of creativity who can get the fans excited.

Why is this only being done 2 weeks into the window, that's the sort if thing that should have been sorted out in preparation for the window opened.
    What if offers 1-3 to buy out their contracts are refused?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    As opposed to that entirely mythical club that exists in the mind of the deluded where Hibs are at the very pinnacle of every players dreams as a professional player?

Doubtless you'd describe players in their mid-late twenties as "journeymen"?

Can you name me some players in the last, say, twenty years who would be consistently capable of playing at a higher level who has opted to stay with Hibs over a long term?

Every club bar a tiny, tiny few is a stepping stone on the way to somewhere.
    So, we're in agreement, then?

Promising Youngster The Hurricane's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Alexaaaander x
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Have just watched clips and read bout Brennan and Twigg.

At the moment we need a spark in the middle of the park. If PF thinks Brennan is the one then that's good enough for me.

As for Twigg... Scored a few. Headers shots etc has but of skill bout him and seems to find space and is at the right place at right time.

Yeah folk keep saying that they might not bee good but sorry I am more than certain that the 2 would be welcome additions and an improvement on wot we already have.
    Sure these boys scored some good goals but what was the defending like it looked even worse than us and thats saying something!

Killian Brennan FM legend!

Blog Entries
    So, we're in agreement, then?
    Nope - you said

The clear insinuation is that it used to be different. It wasnt, at least certainly for the last 40 years.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Killian Brennan FM legend!
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I see UTD are in for Dougie Imrie, always thought he was a decent player with a wee bit of edge that could get fans of their seat. If so I recon thats 2 fairly decent signings they have made in him and the M Gard

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I see UTD are in for Dougie Imrie, always thought he was a decent player with a wee bit of edge that could get fans of their seat. If so I recon thats 2 fairly decent signings they have made in him and the M Gard
    Thought the boy Russell looked like a player as well on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Twigg (......)is said to be happy in Tallaght and with one year left on his contract it would take a sizeable offer from the Scottish side to tempt Rovers to do business.

Come on Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Twigg (......)is said to be happy in Tallaght and with one year left on his contract it would take a sizeable offer from the Scottish side to tempt Rovers to do business.

Come on Rod.

Yep put the foot down Rod and leave the sizeable offer for Proven talent at a higher or equivelant level to the SPL.

First Team Regular Bohemian_Hibee's Avatar
    Brennan has signed for Sham***k R****s, so he definitely won't be coming to Easter Road.

On the upside McPake could be imminent. Hermann Hreidarsson is about to sign for Coventry http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/po...mpey_1_3422060 and didn't their manager say that McPake wouldn't be coming untill they found cover?

Add McPake to the central defence and Stephen Hughes to the midfield and we have a team :pfgwa

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    On the upside McPake could be imminent. Hermann Hreidarsson is about to sign for Coventry http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/po...mpey_1_3422060 and didn't their manager say that McPake wouldn't be coming untill they found cover?

Add McPake to the central defence and Stephen Hughes to the midfield and we have a team :pfgwa
    Interesting, i just listened to the Hibs TV interview with PF and he said there may be something in the next 48 hours and on that link it says..."The Blues have been told by the Football League that they must let a player leave before anyone can be signed this month" Could be 2+2=5