hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    [QUOTE=simply the best;3076079]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're very much mistaken, I have seen Deek probably as much as you in his pomp as you call it. I am certainly not doubting his ability but as you have already mentioned what did Deek manage at 23-24.
    I guess I tend to judge a player, any player not just Deek on everything when I give my opinion, ability,application,desire,attitude and last but not least fulfilling their potential given their ability which sadly I think Deek failed with.

So yes and thankfully I have seen the best of Deek, just wish I had the opportunity to see more of it![/
    QUOTE]

Me too but 100 goals for someone we who both agree had more to give is not a bad return. For someone who did not fufill his "potential" only 2 other players have scored more and both played for the old firm !!

I really dont think people appreciate that and we Hibs still go on about how much more he could have done rather than recognise his place in our history as a legend he is still slagged off by many on this board.

Imagine the reaction posters would get if they dared to abuse Baker Reilly Stanton etc DEEK is a modern day legend
    The opportunity to see more of it would strike me as being in relation to him being 28 and without a club looking at Killie as a viable option. Whereas a guy that has scored the amount, and undoubted quality, of goals Deek has should have been in his peak now at a top club. I definitely think he didn't fulfil his potential, he had the ability to play at a much higher level than he did.

He should have been plying his trade in the EPL etc... and it is disappointing to see someone who will go down as a legend in our history struggling when he should be flying like Fletcher is. Hopefully there are plenty more goals left in his boots regardless of where he goes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by mchibee View Post
    So many that were good players I would say, our league position and performances don't suggest that they are what they were. Which is why I would rather see us try someone new than ex-players. Apart from O'connor who without his goals we would be in a bit more bother.
    I agree but I was only highlighting why Hibs was different to other clubs we lost so many good players it is only natural fans recall the good times.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    No one really knows what Deek could have achieved not even himself one thing for sure in terms of Ability no one at Hibs in the last 10 years come close.
    You can't say that with any certainty. No one has any idea of what he was really capable of, because he never seemed to push himself. Guys like Steven Fletcher and David Murphy have gone on to prove themselves in the EPL, O'Connor scores loads in the SPL, and scored goals in England and Russia. In terms of outright goalscorers, Stokes is a more prolific forward.

Riordan was capable of the spectacular - but he didn't have the physical edge, or the tactical awareness that other, lesser and greater, players possess.

He was a good player. Should have been better. But we have no idea whether he was capable of great things or not. It's worth mentioning that Kris Boyd is one of those players on the SPL top scorers list - and he's nae fantastic player either.

[QUOTE=mchibee;3076088]

The opportunity to see more of it would strike me as being in relation to him being 28 and without a club looking at Killie as a viable option. Whereas a guy that has scored the amount, and undoubted quality, of goals Deek has should have been in his peak now at a top club. I definitely think he didn't fulfil his potential, he had the ability to play at a much higher level than he did.

He should have been plying his trade in the EPL etc... and it is disappointing to see someone who will go down as a legend in our history struggling when he should be flying like Fletcher is. Hopefully there are plenty more goals left in his boots regardless of where he goes.
    hear hear and I wish him well if he was to return i would not want it to be long term only a short cameo until the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    You can't say that with any certainty. No one has any idea of what he was really capable of, because he never seemed to push himself. Guys like Steven Fletcher and David Murphy have gone on to prove themselves in the EPL, O'Connor scores loads in the SPL, and scored goals in England and Russia. In terms of outright goalscorers, Stokes is a more prolific forward.

Riordan was capable of the spectacular - but he didn't have the physical edge, or the tactical awareness that other, lesser and greater, players possess.

He was a good player. Should have been better. But we have no idea whether he was capable of great things or not. It's worth mentioning that Kris Boyd is one of those players on the SPL top scorers list - and he's nae fantastic player either.
    Murphy hardly got a game in the EPL and his level is Championship.

As for Riordans tactical lack of awareness, Really !!! I would say that was what made him his awareness in terms of assists and goals.

Stokes had one great season at Hibs playing as an out and out striker I would like to see who supplied the ball for most of his goals I would not mind a wee bet on Deek.

P.S. Stokes never chipped in with the number od asists he now does at Celtic he was very much a selfish player even more so than Deek.

Can't be assed reading through this thread, so what i will say is:

Happy Birthday Deek!

Fletcher works hard scores headers and poaches goals - Deeks scores goals Fletch could only dream of at their best Deek consistently out scored what ever Fletch could achieve.

Deek has 2 feet Fletch has one he is working on the other but it 95% of the time for standing on.
    And yet one is scoring regularly in the EPL while the other is scrambling about and about to sign for Kilmarnock.

First Team Breakthrough Number69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    And yet one is scoring regularly in the EPL while the other is scrambling about and about to sign for Kilmarnock.
    Thats pretty much all that needs to be said.

This thread should be closed now

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    Blackpool looking at him
    Source?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

So Deek is on trial at Blackpool now. Thread title needs changed.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Played in a trial game against Bolton apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Galbraith tracks back. You enjoy Galbraith I'd rather pay to see Derek Riordan THE best striker in my times watching Hibs.
    And where in any of my posts did I mention Galbraith? Get a grip man ffs.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    And where in any of my posts did I mention Galbraith? Get a grip man ffs.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Murphy hardly got a game in the EPL and his level is Championship.

As for Riordans tactical lack of awareness, Really !!! I would say that was what made him his awareness in terms of assists and goals.

Stokes had one great season at Hibs playing as an out and out striker I would like to see who supplied the ball for most of his goals I would not mind a wee bet on Deek.

P.S. Stokes never chipped in with the number od asists he now does at Celtic he was very much a selfish player even more so than Deek.
    Murphy got 19 games last season, after returning from a leg break. He played plenty, and he'll play in the Premiership again.

Stokes had one great season at Hibs, one spectacular half season at Falkirk, and get's picked for Celtic, scores for Celtic, and makes goals for Celtic. He is better than Riordan.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    You wanna help me here?

Andy mate, cant see Derek coming back to Hibs this window, its just not going to happen, but i will say it aint because he is past it or anything like that, as a few have said, Derek and Hibs need to go there separte ways and try different things now, hopefully the new No 10 can do as good as Deek in his career at Hibs and bang the goals in for the Hibs.

As for Deek, in my eyes the guy has been a joy to watch in both his spells at Hibs and in years to come he will go down as a Hibs legend at the club, his 104 goals and 3rd top goal scorer of all time in the SPL will see to that, it seems that a few on here only want to remember his last six months in a Hibs top on here, and i will be the first to say it wasn't his best last six months for the club that he has loved since a boy and will always love like every Hibs supporter on here, his dreams came true Andy and he got to play for the club he has supported from a young boy, any young kids reading this, dreams do come true but you have to work hard for it, from January to May was very poor for us Hibs fans and there wasn't much to cheer about, but i can remember one game through the week against St Mirren and we needed the win, and yep Deek came up with the goods with a cracking goal and ER went mental that night, thats what i will remember about Deek, he more than most came up with a goal when we needed one, Derek didn't play in to many of the games from Jan to December and thankfully we had Sodge to get us a few goals, was it a dip in form from Deek or was there something else wrong with him that at times he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, but i remember him playing in the last game of the season against Aberdeen and he looked back to his good old ways in that game and signed off that day with another usual belter of a goal, pity the end result didn't go our way that day.

Derek will move on to a new club this window and get on with enjoying playing football again, and folk on here should remember(well i hope they will) his time at the club for all the great goals he has scored for Hibs and the great football we seen under Mowbray with Derek being a part of that and the times we got a freekick around the opposition box and Deek sent the fans wild with his trademark freekicks rather than his last six months.

But i live in hope Andy that i will see Derek in the green and white of Hibs once again in a third and final spell at the club he supports in a few years time again playing for the Hibs.

Derek G. Riordan.

PS.

Does that help mate.

C'mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Andy mate, cant see Derek coming back to Hibs this window, its just not going to happen, but i will say it aint because he is past it or anything like that, as a few have said, Derek and Hibs need to go there separte ways and try different things now, hopefully the new No 10 can do as good as Deek in his career at Hibs and bang the goals in for the Hibs.

As for Deek, in my eyes the guy has been a joy to watch in both his spells at Hibs and in years to come he will go down as a Hibs legend at the club, his 104 goals and 3rd top goal scorer of all time in the SPL will see to that, it seems that a few on here only want to remember his last six months in a Hibs top on here, and i will be the first to say it wasn't his best last six months for the club that he has loved since a boy and will always love like every Hibs supporter on here, his dreams came true Andy and he got to play for the club he has supported from a young boy, any young kids reading this, dreams do come true but you have to work hard for it, from January to May was very poor for us Hibs fans and there wasn't much to cheer about, but i can remember one game through the week against St Mirren and we needed the win, and yep Deek came up with the goods with a cracking goal and ER went mental that night, thats what i will remember about Deek, he more than most came up with a goal when we needed one, Derek didn't play in to many of the games from Jan to December and thankfully we had Sodge to get us a few goals, was it a dip in form from Deek or was there something else wrong with him that at times he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, but i remember him playing in the last game of the season against Aberdeen and he looked back to his good old ways in that game and signed off that day with another usual belter of a goal, pity the end result didn't go our way that day.

Derek will move on to a new club this window and get on with enjoying playing football again, and folk on here should remember(well i hope they will) his time at the club for all the great goals he has scored for Hibs and the great football we seen under Mowbray with Derek being a part of that and the times we got a freekick around the opposition box and Deek sent the fans wild with his trademark freekicks rather than his last six months.

But i live in hope Andy that i will see Derek in the green and white of Hibs once again in a third and final spell at the club he supports in a few years time again playing for the Hibs.

Derek G. Riordan.

PS.

Does that help mate.

C'mon the Hibs.

Brilliant Silver

That does help

Agree with every single word you said there, A definate Hibs legend and my favourite ever Hibs player of all time...Some of the goals he has scored in his time are just jawdropping, One goal sticks out against Hearts at Easter rd in 2005/06? Burst a 30 yarder into the top corner at the Hearts end and 10 Million gordon got nowhere near it!. Stunning.

Derek Riordan is a Hibernian legend of that i have no doubt mate.

Derek G. Riordan.

PS.

Does that help mate.

C'mon the Hibs.
    and that's why God invented punctuation............

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Hibby View Post
    and that's why God invented punctuation............
    Pfft...god doesn't exist. Punctuation evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Cue theological debate.

Left by mutual consent!
    Any hibby who believes in a god this season needs their heid checked oot!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    No, it was brought to earth by a higher life form from a distant galaxy 26578541412.2 years ago.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Derek G. Riordan.

PS.

Does that help mate.

C'mon the Hibs.

You know after reading this, I believe Hibs should resign Derek! Simply because he needs to play in this new team and new era/transition in order to restore his legend status and prove we are on the up!

Go on Pat you know you want to!

Deeko is a legend! Hope he gets his move to Blackpool, he needs a break from Hibs and us from him, but I want to see him do well for himself. Silver your point of his last 6 months, we had another 6 months after he left and we got even worse! He shouldn't be judged on that, great player for us, definately "one of our own"

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    No, it was brought to earth by a higher life form from a distant galaxy 26578541412.2 years ago.
    You a scientologist by any chance Peevemor.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince85 View Post
    Deeko is a legend! Hope he gets his move to Blackpool, he needs a break from Hibs and us from him, but I want to see him do well for himself.
    Couldn't agree more.

It's not too late for Riordan to prove himself at a higher level than the SPL, so best wishes to him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Full stops are round, and so are meatballs. Coincidence? Don't make me laugh.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

Derek G. Riordan.

PS.

Does that help mate.

C'mon the Hibs.

Spot on silver .

ggtth