hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Oyster card

Left by mutual consent!

Oyster card

Hi just a question or 2 on the oyster card if any of you guys live or are in London a lot as me and the wife are going to London in March for 3 days.

Our Hotel we have picked is in zone 2 of tube system so we will probably be going from 1-2 maybe odd occasion further, now I see that an all day ticket anytime is £8.40 if I had say £20 on my card and I did a lot of travel that day would it charge me for every journey until I ran out of credit or will it stop charging me if I reach £8.40?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We were in london in october and used they oyster card. It caps at the daily maximum no matter how much is on it. You have to buy the cards too though which i think were about a fiver then i topped up a tenner on each which was more than enough for two days.

Its definitely got a daily maximum, go on the tfl (Transport for London) website for full details. Can't provide a link on my phone. IIRC there is a 3 day pass available, but, check that site to confirm.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 06-01-2012 at 07:19 AM.

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    I'm just back from London.

We were there for 3 days. Bought Off-Peak travelcards for £7 per day which allowed us to travel between zone 1-2 all day and on the buses. Off-Peak is anytime after 9am during the week and all weekend which is good.

First Team Breakthrough
    if you buy a day ticket im pretty sure you get that for one day as it has the date on it and you can travel within selected zones as much as you like on that day.

if you buy an oyster cards and top it up you travel until it runs out then top it up - every trip is paid for but its only like £2.30 or something a trip. its six n half a dozen really. i think the oyster is cheaper as i doubt youll spend more than £20 in three days.

p.s. i find the bus is good as you get to see the city rather than being underground all the time. the tube is also quite stressful if your new to it imo.
    Last edited by libernian; 08-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    When we went to London last year a couple of friends who go down regularily on business lent us the cards there firms gave them so no need to buy cards. If I remember correctly if you go over the day ticket charges it just takes that charge off. So if you know someone who has an Oyster card see if you can borrow them , will save you a tenner.

Left by mutual consent!

HKHibby

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi just a question or 2 on the oyster card if any of you guys live or are in London a lot as me and the wife are going to London in March for 3 days.

Our Hotel we have picked is in zone 2 of tube system so we will probably be going from 1-2 maybe odd occasion further, now I see that an all day ticket anytime is £8.40 if I had say £20 on my card and I did a lot of travel that day would it charge me for every journey until I ran out of credit or will it stop charging me if I reach £8.40?

The one day travelcard is only valid after 9.30am, but it lasts all day for journeys on the tube, buses, and the overground, also the trains from most stations, providing it is valid for the zones you buy it for, and valid straight through until around 3/4am the next morning, so can be used on night buses as well
    it can be bought without the oyster card, or added to the oyster card too, so just tap in and out of every journey you make on the tube or train, and tap in only on buses, it can be used on the croydon tram too i think, but you probably wont be there.
    if you are using pay-as-you go on the oyster card it could work out more, depends on how many journeys you make on either the tube or buses, ithink the single oyster bus
    fare is now 1.30 for as many/little stops, not sure of single tube oyster fares, depends on what zones and how many zones you cross, if you take the bus without the oyster the cash fare is 2.00
    not sure of the prices of the one day travel card, but depends where you get it from or should say how many zones you buy it for, its been a while since i got one, due to the fact i dont live there anymore, but the prices mentioned sound about right.
    i think also it caps it self too, if you have a travel card for whatever zones, and you make enough journeys which goes over the value of the travelcard, you just keep using it and i think not sure though you may have money left over on it for use on next travelcard/fare, but check that one out cant remember.
    i should remember i was there briefly for 3 nights around xmas, but was staying near Heathrow, and paid by credit card for the one day travelcard and didnt take alot of notice of the price as i was in a hurry to get into central london to meet up with some people.
    anyway enjoy your time there for whatever reason there, i lived there for years, on and off and still in a way consider it as a second home, but would never move back to the uk now!,

cheers