hibs.net Messageboard

Page 61 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 3758
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you honestly believe that we will bring in (on top of the 3 already announced) an additional 6 players and then bring in more in Jan? Whether its needed or not is a different question but I would have expected Pat to have put a case to Rod to say that this size of overhaul is probably a 2 or 3 window job.

Truthfully, no.

What I'm saying is, this is what we need - talk of us leading the challenge to Celtic next season (McPake in the Record) or making the top half of the SPL are woefully premature IMO.

We've signed a couple of reasonable defenders and a midfield player from SFL One - provided Pat has done his homework, good.

Pat is talking about other signings - good.

But right now he's operating with a skeleton staff; at last count the squad was as follows:

Goalies - Mark Brown (who I understand hasn't yet agreed terms?) and Paul Grant (very inexperienced).

Defenders - Tim Clancy, James McPake, Paul Hanlon, Pa Kujabi, Sean O'Hanlon (who has been told he can look for another club), Scott Smith (very inexperienced), David Stephens, and Callum Booth (who's hardly played since the early part of last season).

Midfielders - David Wotherspoon, Jorge Claros, Danny Galbraith, Lewis Stevenson, Ivan Sproule, Isaiah Osbourne, Sam Stanton, and now Paul Cairney. Of those the only 2 I'd say were reasonably consistent last season were Osbourne and Stevenson; Claros and Wotherspoon didn't impress, Galbraith hardly played, Ivan was mainly used as a sub, and not terribly successfully IIRC, Sam Stanton's brand-new and very inexperienced, and Paul Cairney, who is to most of us an unknown quantity.

Strikers - Eoin Doyle, Ross Caldwell, and (looking less and less likely by the minute) possibly the all-singing, all-dancing, star of stage and screen, Garry O'Connor.

Even with the three new guys, that's a bottom-six squad and if we're unlucky with injuries, we're in deep, deep doo-doo.

Using only signed players, I think we're looking at a team like this - Grant; Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, Kujabi; Wotherspoon, Cairney, Osbourne, Stevenson; Doyle and Caldwell. Reserves are wafer-thin.

This isn't about whether we can afford to sign players - we can't afford not to. And since we're in this position thanks to the leadership of the White Knight and the Great Helmsman Rod, it's they who need to sort this out - or at least give Pat F the resources to sort it out.

If they DON'T sort it out, we're in real trouble.
    Last edited by --------; 02-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Heard today we're definitely after Shiels and GOC may get another 1 year deal.

If my info is correct GOC has been a good lad re drinking/drugs are concerned this past year, yes his fitness was an issue after xmas/new year but is PF van get a good pre season in him he is still talented enough to score 15+ goals for us in this league, something we need and has bags of experience.

I wasn't happy when he threw his medal away like a wee kid in a strop but at least it showed that 2nd place was not good enough for him and especially the way we lost it.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Id be absolutely ecstatic if we nabbed Dean Shiels!... A goalscoring midfielder that can thread through a pass like butter through a knife, An honest willing hardworknig grafter of a lad, Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Id be absolutely ecstatic if we nabbed Dean Shiels!... A goalscoring midfielder that can thread through a pass like butter through a knife, An honest willing hardworknig grafter of a lad, Yes please.
    That certainly sounds Hibs class!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    Heard today we're definitely after Shiels and GOC may get another 1 year deal.

If my info is correct GOC has been a good lad re drinking/drugs are concerned this past year, yes his fitness was an issue after xmas/new year but is PF van get a good pre season in him he is still talented enough to score 15+ goals for us in this league, something we need and has bags of experience.

I wasn't happy when he threw his medal away like a wee kid in a strop but at least it showed that 2nd place was not good enough for him and especially the way we lost it.
    Big IF there JC1.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    What about the lad Jennings from Motherwell? Or was that just silly paper talk?

My mate fae the Evening News told me that Lubo Michalik is signing tommorow!

Usually reliable source, he told me kujabi was signing last season.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by mon the cabbage View Post

If true, it seems like Fenlon has done something that recent managers have failed to do, and build a team based on a settled defence.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    If Michalik is coming in then I wonder where Paul Hanlon is fitting in?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Shiels I would take back in a heartbeat. Creative player who knows where the goals are and arguably has his best years in front of him. We would be mad not to take an interest.

As for O'Connor, he has had more than his fair few chances and continues to let people down. Time to move on. I'm completely unconvinced that he would get himself into the required shape. Furthermore, his actions after the cup final were unforgivable. No thanks.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    What about the lad Jennings from Motherwell? Or was that just silly paper talk?
    We'll see him at Easter Road soon.........He's Going to Huddersfield I think......or Sheffield Utd

Great news on Lubo if true

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Left back.

Coaching Staff
    Fighting for his place hopefully like everyone else.

Hanlon has potential but we have been far too poor at the back for some time and changes were crucial.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    If true, it seems like Fenlon has done something that recent managers have failed to do, and build a team based on a settled defence.

To be accurate, he hasn't done it yet, but at least he seems to have grasped the principle and started the process in motion.

BUT WE NEED ANOTHER GOALKEEPER. (Even if Mark Brown re-signs.)

And we need strikers - I'd rather not O'Connor, but providing he stays clean and fit ...

And the midfield is very poor.

First Team Breakthrough seven nowt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mon the cabbage View Post

You sure?

First Team Breakthrough
    Seems to be a lot of ex-players names being linked. I'll add another one. Filipe Morais been released by Oldham, according to Sky Sports.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Hanlon may depart the club this summer. He has a lot of admirers and along with Spoony may decide his future lies elsewhere.

Defensive midfield?

He was apparently a midfielder as a youth.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    I think Hanlon may depart the club this summer. He has a lot of admirers and along with Spoony may decide his future lies elsewhere.
    I'd be happy if that's what they both decided. We'd live.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'd be happy if that's what they both decided. We'd live.
    As would I. 2 decent players with great potential but perhaps it's time for both parties to go separate ways. Certainly not irreplaceable. I have heard Fulham, Blackburn and West Ham are interested in PH.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    As would I. 2 decent players with great potential but perhaps it's time for both parties to go separate ways. Certainly not irreplaceable. I have heard Fulham, Blackburn and West Ham are interested in PH.
    If true about other parties then I wonder what they see in our player that some of our fans don't?

Surely with those bigger clubs sniffing about we should be proud to hold onto PH rather than saying we can live without him?

Coaching Staff
    Yeah, well maybe they have the time to let him develop for a few years, we don't!

I've never been in favour of playing young centre halfs or keepers. It takes years to learn a trade there and what you get is inconsistency and mistakes. Then, when they become half decent they go away and give their best years elsewhere.

I'd stick older, experienced players in those positions every day of the week.

You'd have to be able to find plenty that could perform to the level of Hanlon every week no problem?

Would take Deano back in a heartbeat, head and shoulders above the dross we had in midfield last season.

G O'C ... could care less to be honest. they way he lumbered about up front in the last half of the season was sympomatic of everything that was wrong with us. If he lost a stone and added half a yard of pace I would think differently.

Griffiths ... nae chance he will return ... based on no information, just cant see it.

Also couldnt care less if Spoony goes, a good player in there, but another one who has forgotten how to move at more than half pace, has looked unfit for over a year now.

Of all the things that killed us last year it was the inability of our team to move themselves and the ball quickly and that must change.

Hopefully he isnt fitting in for me. No offence or wanting another PH debate but I hope his future lies elsewhere and he would go with my best wishes.

Got a feeling he will stay tho

Left by mutual consent!
    I have a funny feeling that PH will prove his doubters wrong this season. There is no doubt he is a better player when McPake plays along side him. People seem to forget he is still relatively young. There was a real confidence issue around ER last season that even the most experienced of players found difficult to handle. Let's get Deano back on board, bring in a tough tackling midfielder a new keeper, and two strikers and jobs a good un! I appreciate this may prove difficult in the current financial climate, but needs must and it's now or never.

GGTTH COYI

:pfgwa

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    Shiels I would take back in a heartbeat. Creative player who knows where the goals are and arguably has his best years in front of him. We would be mad not to take an interest.

As for O'Connor, he has had more than his fair few chances and continues to let people down. Time to move on. I'm completely unconvinced that he would get himself into the required shape. Furthermore, his actions after the cup final were unforgivable. No thanks.
    Grant Stott tweeted that Dean Shiels has had informal talks about a return to hibs .

Tweeted that this morning . would be a fantastic signing.

ggtth

Suspect that Grant Stott knows as much of what's going on as I do.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Grant Stott tweeted that Dean Shiels has had informal talks about a return to hibs .

Tweeted that this morning . would be a fantastic signing.

ggtth
    Aye, after reading it here no doubt.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Suspect that Grant Stott knows as much of what's going on as I do.
    I suspect he knows more than you

ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    I suspect he knows more than you

ggtth
    Oh no he doesn't(copyright Babes in the Wood).