Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
No I don't, but then in the past we've out to sign 'names' from big clubs that people got excited over till they tried to kick / catch a ball (O'Brien, Maka et all), or signed players from total obscurity who people have written off before they've even been on a pitch (Sproule, Boozy etc) and turned out to be fantastic.

My point was that a signing in itself isn't inspirational if they don't perform. If we sign players who do the job, it doesn't matter if they've come from Manchester United or Albion Rovers, they will only inspire the fans if they perform.

For me our ultimate aim should be to pick up the gems from the lower levels, as other clubs often do, particularly Hearts and Dundee United, as that's where the resale value is, spending a bit more than we are now, you're still looking at players who have failed at a higher level and are floating back down. I'd much prefer a team of hungry young guys on the way up. The Liam Miller type player is rarely going to be an asset to sell, and comes with a truck load of baggage.
It would be brilliant if we could pick up the gems, but realistically we're looking at post John Collins since we made one of those signings. I don't have the slightest bit of faith in our scouting network to find these gems.