hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paul Hanlon yesterday at Right Back

I thought he had a hard time early on against Templeton but hung in there and snuffed him right out, from about 20 mins in to the time that Templeton got taken off, about the 70th min IIRC he had him where he wanted him and Templeton contributed nought. Good performance against one of Scotland's best young talent, apparently.
    There's a lot of criticism about, I thought some praise was justified and to give some balance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I thought he was poor, and was ripped to shreds in the first half. I was ****ting myself every time templeton went at Hanlon in the first half, and we were very fortunate on a few occasions. He hit the post and put the ball across the 6 yard box another number of times.

In the 2nd half he was ok, but thats about it ok.

If we are to improve, he is not and never will be the answer as a full back, either side. And i have serious doubts as a central defender too.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was poor, and was ripped to shreds in the first half. I was ****ting myself every time templeton went at Hanlon in the first half, and we were very fortunate on a few occasions. He hit the post and put the ball across the 6 yard box another number of times.

In the 2nd half he was ok, but thats about it ok.

If we are to improve, he is not and never will be the answer as a full back, either side. And i have serious doubts as a central defender too.
    Whoosh!

The OP was taking the piss :)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forthview View Post
    I thought he had a hard time early on against Templeton but hung in there and snuffed him right out, from about 20 mins in to the time that Templeton got taken off, about the 70th min IIRC he had him where he wanted him and Templeton contributed nought. Good performance against one of Scotland's best young talent, apparently.
    There's a lot of criticism about, I thought some praise was justified and to give some balance.
    I wouldnae haud yer breath expecting too many positive responses if I were you, slagging off our young players seems tae be the preferred option these days.

Check where Hanlon was and the other two centre backs were when the second goal went in.
    His passing is poor and I do not understand how he makes an under 21 captain.
    Also the third goal which I didn't know the rule about not being offside from a goal kick (missed that one)
    and see the position of Hanlon and Murray. We obviously cannot teach defensive know how and this needs to be part of the players make up. Would we have lost if Webster had been our captain yeterday, I think not.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Learning to kick with his right foot would help

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I feel for Hanlon. Still just a youngster, plenty of potential, yet the way our fans turn on him when there are people playing alot worse than him in the team is a disgrace. Cant argue with the fact he hasnt been playing well recently, but still lots of potential there. If he was playing in a better team, with someone who actually understood how to defend guiding him through games, he would be coming on alot better than in that current shambles of a defence.

The fact he is also captain of a good Scotland U21 team, and is usually fairly comfortable in a settled defence, show our current problems arent soley down to him.

To play him at RB was madness however.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    The last young Hibs player that got slagged off by many as no being good enough and for no being able tae use his right foot for much other than standing on seems tae be doing ok for himself now, now that he's elsewhere that is.

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    The last young Hibs player that got slagged off by many as no being good enough and for no being able tae use his right foot for much other than standing on seems tae be doing ok for himself now, now that he's elsewhere that is.
    Now he was a footballer

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    Knowing your squad well enough to not play a left footed player at right back would help.

Testimonial Due
    I thought Hanlon was very good yesterday. Played out of position, on his weaker foot and booked (never a booking) early on he was still strong in the tackle and did what I was looking for our right back to do.

Templeton had a decent 45 mins, other than that he was pish and taken off, the players replacing him having a far more significant impact on the game.

I am guessing those having a go at Hanlon are probably the sames one who thought Griffiths was decent yesterday.

Frst saw Hanlon at left back possibly two seasons ago against the Arabs at Tannadice and he was run ragged.
    Agree that youngsters need and old head to guide them and this has been the failing for sometime. The last one Jones did a reasonable job in this area
    but was never replaced. Hanlon is not strong enough to play at centre back and he is never a full back. That is where management of young talent by bringing them in for certain games works
    however we are trying to mix up the team to find a solution to get us by this season and as PF is finding out it isn't just the young talent but older hands who are letting us down.
    BTW apart from the passback yesterday which Stack was slow to get to and with the wrong foot, Booth will become a very good player and be the a major asset.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    I feel for Hanlon. Still just a youngster, plenty of potential, yet the way our fans turn on him when there are people playing alot worse than him in the team is a disgrace. Cant argue with the fact he hasnt been playing well recently, but still lots of potential there. If he was playing in a better team, with someone who actually understood how to defend guiding him through games, he would be coming on alot better than in that current shambles of a defence.

The fact he is also captain of a good Scotland U21 team, and is usually fairly comfortable in a settled defence, show our current problems arent soley down to him.

Being young is not an excuse - the potential thing is wearing thin - he's not being singled out as far as I can tell - suggesting if he played in a better team he would be better, is surely pure conjecture on your part? It's what he does on the field here that counts for Hibs fans, and he is not delivering - his passing beyond three yards is atrocious to say the least, never mind his poor positioning and decision-making skills.

In his defence however, I do wonder if the coaching staff/managers at our club are perhaps the reason why guys like Hanlon and Spoony who seemed to have "potential" are failing to realise it because they are being stifled in their development, or are they perhaps succumbing to some cultural issues at the club? - Wotherspoon, in particular I thought could be a good player, but he disappoints week in / week out...I think Booth is a prospect, but I wonder how far he will progress if at all...

I don't rate Griffiths

Watched Paul for the second half. A class act. I say keep him there for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    Knowing your squad well enough to not play a left footed player at right back would help.
    I think Fenlon only did it as he did not rate anyone else to try and stop templeton who has been on fire. Whilst there were a couple of occasions his left sidedness let him down I thought overall he did a decent job against both templeton and driver when they switched.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    I thought Hanlon was very good yesterday. Played out of position, on his weaker foot and booked (never a booking) early on he was still strong in the tackle and did what I was looking for our right back to do.

Templeton had a decent 45 mins, other than that he was pish and taken off, the players replacing him having a far more significant impact on the game.

I am guessing those having a go at Hanlon are probably the sames one who thought Griffiths was decent yesterday.

Not having a go at Hanlon but I thought Griffiths did extremely well considering the role he was asked to play.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not having a go at Hanlon but I thought Griffiths did extremely well considering the role he was asked to play.
    I thought he did nothing. The hertz will save a few quid as they is no danger they will require to dry clean websters shirt following an easy afternoon. Dont get me wrong I am not saying he is a bad player, but he is not built to play that role and i feel that was reflected in the number of shots we had on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This seems to be a common problem we have, players are being asked to play certain roles, perhaps not roles they want to, or are used to playing. Nobody ever wanted to play Rob Jones at LB, or David Murphy at CH.
    Wotherspoon would have maybe been a better option at RB, even though he's made it clear he doesn't want to play there at least he's played the position before.

We really need to sort out a first pick back four, these guys should have a massive understanding of each others game in order to play as an efficient unit every week. Chopping and changing players positions just isn't working.

What was a wee guy to do against two relative giants who fouled him at every opportunity! The service was pee poor as we lumped the ball from the keeper and the midfield lumped it up to him. On the few occassions he got a decent ball he did well. Tactically naive as at half time it was a chance to throw on Doyle and OConnor and change Griffiths for Galbraith but PF was accepting a draw at that stage. He does not know the history that Hearts always appear stronger in the last 20 mins than us and any ball into the box they know they will score eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post

Who are these fans who are "turning on him" ? Do you mean at the game or on here ? If you mean on here then I am one who will "turn on him" , but I do not "turn on" any player at the game. I hate the singling out of players at the match, but this is a debating forum where opinions about players surely will be stated.

Hanlon is 22 this month, he has many 1st team games under his belt and has captained Hibs, I`m not sure potential is the right word anymore. He`s been tried all over the back four and for me, has failed to impress. Concentration and positional awareness are his biggest faults IMO, and time will tell if he can improve and be the player we thought / hoped he might be. Having said that, time is something we don`t really have now.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    It was Hanlon's pathetic attempt at a cross that lead to their goal kick that was punted up and gave them their third. Yes he is young, but he also has over 80 SPL games and probably 10 at U21 level so he has plenty of experience. You feel there is a good player wanting to get out, just hope Fenlon manages that but I fear not.

First Team Regular half.time.draw.'s Avatar
    Dont blame one players for that embarrassing performance. First division football on its way.

First Team Breakthrough Postman's Avatar
    Made even more ridiculous by the fact we had Wotherspoon, Hart and Towell on the bench.

Crazy decision, I really hope PF learns from that mistake and never tries it again

[QUOTE=half.time.draw.;3061683]Dont blame one players for that embarrassing performance. First division football on its way.[/QUOTE

Mate, come on, nobody is blaming one player. Wouldn`t it be great if one player was just the problem, it`s almost one SQUAD.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    Made even more ridiculous by the fact we had Wotherspoon, Hart and Towell on the bench.

Crazy decision, I really hope PF learns from that mistake and never tries it again
    What we are crying out at both full backs is an Alan sneddon type player. Someone who will defend for their life. Might not be a great footballer but knows how to defend. Booth will be good but cannot defend well enough at the moment.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Indeed but he played better than the last two players to play that position and against arguably a better player.

Bull****. See post above.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    What we are crying out at both full backs is an Alan sneddon type player. Someone who will defend for their life. Might not be a great footballer but knows how to defend. Booth will be good but cannot defend well enough at the moment.
    I actually think Wotherspoon could be a good right back given time. Good athlete with a bit of pace who could make the position his own if we stopped moving him forward every time he has a decent performance in there. Towell has disappointed since his return. Agreed on Booth, just a shame he doesn't have someone like David Murphy around the club anymore to learn from!

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Bull****. See post above.
    Are you saying he did alright in there?? He was brutal but for me that wasn't really his fault.

A left sided centre half at right back, just not right!

Are you saying he did alright in there?? He was brutal but for me that wasn't really his fault.

A left sided centre half at right back, just not right!
    After about the first 15 mins or so he did just fine. He did better than both Hart and Wotherspoon have of late and as I say against a much trickier opponent. Towell was probably better there last season but this season looks unfit and possibly disinterested. In short he is not a. Bad option there at he moment.