hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chippy sauce

Chippy sauce

Probably the high point of going to the game last night was going to Giuliano's at the top of Leith Walk (opposite the Playhouse) for a spring roll supper with salt & sauce. I know it's probably been asked on here before, but has anyone got the definitive recipe for chippy sauce?

2. Log in to remove the advert

If you are still up here a lot of chippies sell it in bottles. The Clamshell at The Tron certainly does.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are still up here a lot of chippies sell it in bottles. The Clamshell at The Tron certainly does.
    Back home now but will keep an eye out if anywhere is open when I'm up for the Hearts & St Johnstone games in the next few weeks, cheers Hutchy.

Search for a thread called "Edinburgh Chippy Sauce" in The Dugout - can't post a link via my phone.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HOUSEkid

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Isn't it just regular brown sauce laced with vinegar and water?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Isn't it just regular brown sauce laced with vinegar and water?
    I thought that last time I had it, brown sauce with added vinegar. My mate liked it loads and talked about it for about 3 months after having

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    We do a chip shop offer at work quite a lot.

Brown sauce (most brown sauces work well) - 500ml
    Distilled vinegar - 50ml
    Water - 50ml
    Wee bit of salt

That will get you in the ball park, but just a bit trial and error (add a bit more vinegar) and you'll get it pretty close to the chippy stuff
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

First Team Breakthrough
    I'd heard it was just gold star brown sauce with added water to your liking

A spring roll supper is just wrong!

@hibs.net private member
    You can buy it in Sainsburys in Edinburgh (or at least you can in the Murrayfield/Gorgie branch). I'm looking at a bottle I bought for my other half (I'm a west coast salt and vinegar person, myself). It's Gold Star Chip Shop Brown Sauce.

[I'm looking also at the label on a bottle of HP. They're a bit different; HP has tomatoes, malt vinegar and molasses as the first 3 ingredients, and Gold Star has water, wheatflour and acetic acid. Although the Gold Star has artificial sweetener instead of HP Fructose-Glucose Syrup - which may make it a lighter option for your haggis supper ]

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It's ******, how you can enjoy anything drowned in that muck is totally beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It's ******, how you can enjoy anything drowned in that muck is totally beyond me!
    Non Edinburgh folk just dinnae ken what's gaun oan when it comes to.chippies.

My girlfriend is also afflicted with being English and she doesn't get choppy sauce either. I just tell her coming from a country that serves cod as the standard fish in a fish supper and pours gravy on chips isn't entitled to an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

My girlfriend is also afflicted with being English and she doesn't get choppy sauce either. I just tell her coming from a country that serves cod as the standard fish in a fish supper and pours gravy on chips isn't entitled to an opinion.

Right back at yer with a country that deep fries mars bars, pizza's, pies WTF! and will put batter on just about everthing they serve..........your opinion counts for **** all

Nowt wrong with gravy lad..................Northern Lads love gravy, and while we're on the subject: Supper/Single WTF, I was right confused many years ago during my early days when asked if I wanted a supper at lunchtime, nah too early mate was my reply.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Chippy sauce is barry. Only second to a tray of chips drowned in curry sauce topped with cheese.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Oi, chips and gravy is class. Don't mock it until you try it!

Salt and vinegar gives me the boak - make being a student in Glasgow a bit of a challenge. Still remember the shock when the chippie wench in Glasgow asked me if I wanted "salt and vinegar" on my chips!!

Chips and gravy sounds even worse. I've got mates at work who lather mayonnaise on chips as well

Chippy sauce and salt, or just salt, or - at a push - Heinz Tomato Ketchup. That's yer lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Salt and vinegar gives me the boak - make being a student in Glasgow a bit of a challenge. Still remember the shock when the chippie wench in Glasgow asked me if I wanted "salt and vinegar" on my chips!!

Chips and gravy sounds even worse. I've got mates at work who lather mayonnaise on chips as well

Chippy sauce and salt, or just salt, or - at a push - Heinz Tomato Ketchup. That's yer lot.

You're one of these folk who dismiss things that you haven't even tried then! Mate if you can eat Chips drowned in that ****** sauce you can stomach gravy on your chips no problem.

On a similar topic, all kebab shops should be forced to use the same chilli sauce as The Topkapi!

On a similar topic, all kebab shops should be forced to use the same chilli sauce as The Topkapi!
    This is a cause we should all be able to unite behind.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I had a kebab through in Dunfermline, at a place just round from PJ Molloys, that was a bloody brilliant kebab!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Right back at yer with a country that deep fries mars bars, pizza's, pies WTF! and will put batter on just about everthing they serve..........your opinion counts for **** all

Nowt wrong with gravy lad..................Northern Lads love gravy, and while we're on the subject: Supper/Single WTF, I was right confused many years ago during my early days when asked if I wanted a supper at lunchtime, nah too early mate was my reply.
    "Do you want scraps with that love?"

That was what I was asked in the chippy the first time I ventured in during my 3 year stay in Leeds. Scraps. By definition, trade waste. Nah you're alright "love".

I've never been offered that up here. Not in civilised Edinburgh. They'd get lost in the sauce anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

That was what I was asked in the chippy the first time I ventured in during my 3 year stay in Leeds. Scraps. By definition, trade waste. Nah you're alright "love".

I've never been offered that up here. Not in civilised Edinburgh. They'd get lost in the sauce anyway.
    A new one on me, never heard of it.................strange chippys in Leeds right enough

A new one on me, never heard of it.................strange chippys in Leeds right enough
    Pretty common round here as well, surprised you've not that one. Basically the bits of batter that falls off the fish etc.

And I'm outraged that anyone can think chips and gravy is anything but the food of the gods?!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Scrapps are amazing, my birds family are form hull so was down there last year man are the chippies good and cheap. scraps are just the crispy bits of batter that fall off everythign they are the shizz. also a fish supper cost 2.30 i was im used to getting near nae hcange form a tenner for a fish supper, 2 pickles and a bottle o juice up here.

not a huge fan o chippy sauce despite being from edinburgh, can eat it but normally choose just salt or salt an vinegar. gravy on chips is also tidy especially form a wee place is berwick (forget the name) also which does the best mushy peas ever!! mayo on chippy chips is just wrong unless they are manekken pis from the dam

best sauce in a chippy is the salad dressing, hamburger roll with salad dressing sauce best munch youll have .................... im going to the chippy for tea now after al lthis talk

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Pretty common round here as well, surprised you've not that one. Basically the bits of batter that falls off the fish etc.

And I'm outraged that anyone can think chips and gravy is anything but the food of the gods?!

Hehe I googled it and found a surprising amount of info including other names for scraps. You live and learn eh..........................chippy sauce is still pish though

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

never had a chippy your neck of the woods (where i live too). Couldnt hack it without the chippy sauce...

Hehe I googled it and found a surprising amount of info including other names for scraps. You live and learn eh..........................chippy sauce is still pish though

Two words mate......mushy peas. Bleurgh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Two words mate......mushy peas. Bleurgh!!!!

Sausage, Chips, Mushy Peas & Gravy all in the same tray.........bloody lovely.

For those visiting just ask for a Sausage Dinner.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 16-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.

First Team Breakthrough Hibbylad86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

This actually had me bursting out with laughter. Our Cousins down south just dont understand the concept of a Chippy let alone Chippy Sauce. A takeaway down there (Sausage, chips, mushy peas and gravy) is something your gran would give you for your tea on a Sunday.