hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough Sergeant Hibs's Avatar
    Everyone except Ozzy Lewie Booth Spoony Hanlon GOC and Stack can GTF

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sproule was crap the first time he was here, my opinion of him is that he has managed to get worse......

Galbraith has the heart of a midges tit..........pathetic
    Granted Sproue has been like a man short most of his games since he came back ,but to say he was crap first time round is simply not true , were you in a coma when he hit 3 at ipox baldy ?

GGTTH

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    For me its

Galbraith-Towell and Sproule

Pallson is very close to being in that top three, where is the Palsson who we sing around this time last year ????

You can have this post for this thread as well.

When Galbraith first arrived at ER he was quick and aggressive and willing to take people on. Like Wotherspoon, Hanlon, and Booth when they first broke into the first team, he looked like a really good prospect. Not a single one of these players has progressed the way you would have hoped. The first three have become regular targets of the boo-boys, and after a couple of rippings at LB Booth has had to be dropped.

There is a critical point in a player's career round about the late teens when they have to make the step up from youth football to senior football. If they miss that window of opportunity and don't make that step up successfully, then the chances are they will never realise their potential.

I can't imagine anything more likely to destroy a young player's confidence than playing his early games in the first team surrounded by useless journeymen, struggling to avoid defeat week after week after week and constantly on the back foot. It must really sap your mental energy.

A couple of years back Hibs had a squad of youngsters that was good enough to win the double. Barely a single one of them has made the step up to the first team; most have disappeared off the radar.

If over the past few years Hibs had consolidated a few of the wage packets that have been spent on the (How many - 100? 150?) beefy pros who would "do a job" and who have come, gone, and disappeared without leaving a trace of their passing, and if Hibs had invested that same money in a far smaller number of proper footballers - like Latapy and Sauzee when we were in Div 1 - so that when a youngster came into the team he would find himself playing alongside one or two genuine talents, then perhaps Galbraith, Wotherspoon, and Hanlon might have progressed better, and maybe one or two others like Damon Gray and Kurtis Byrne might have succeeded in making the step up.

But that would have been a 'strategy'. I don't think we do 'strategies' at ER.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There are only 3 players i'd keep.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Granted Sproue has been like a man short most of his games since he came back ,but to say he was crap first time round is simply not true , were you in a coma when he hit 3 at ipox baldy ?

GGTTH
    Not in coma, I was there when he bagged his hattrick..... However IMO he is living off that, and I think some fans views are tainted because of that day at Ibrox.... For me he is a poor player
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

GGTTH
    Even during his first spell, Sproule was hit and miss and used as an impact sub half the time, at least. There's a bit of the green-tinted specs about his first spell because of the hattrick against Rangers IMO.

GGTTH
    The 3 at ibrox has since been proven to have been a total fluke. How many really good games did he have first time round?I struggle to remember any! I do remember plenty of petulance,plenty of sprints down the wing ending in embarrassing miss hit crosses the guy is a total joke oh and I wish he would shut the f*** up and stay out of the newspapers too!

I have to disagree about Sproule first time round. IMO he was worthy of his place in our squad, he contributed goals and assists. He was top of the assists before he left if i remember correctly, and chipped in with around 10 goals too. He got me off my seat much more than he does now, and agree it was a huge mistake to bring him back.

He got you off your seat alright but inevitably you sat back down shaking your head when he tripped over the ball or ran straight into touch ! He was awful first time round and I doubt he was top for assists. I would MAYBE be happy to see him come on as a sub late on when his pace would trouble tiring defences but not convinced he is all that fast now either.

Quote Originally Posted by MUPPET View Post
    He got you off your seat alright but inevitably you sat back down shaking your head when he tripped over the ball or ran straight into touch ! He was awful first time round and I doubt he was top for assists. I would MAYBE be happy to see him come on as a sub late on when his pace would trouble tiring defences but not convinced he is all that fast now either.
    I bet you would take 10 goals a season now from him, and although i'm not 100% sure, i did read on here he was the top player for assists, but have no idea where to look for the answers?

He contributed first time round, he's not now.

The most he ever scored in a season for us was 8 and he currently has 3 so his goals to games ratio is roughly the same. It's easy to remember him fondly but he was just as pish first time round - only difference was he was mainly a sub and as I said earlier he could maybe get away with that again. Expensive sub though!

The most he ever scored in a season for us was 8 and he currently has 3 so his goals to games ratio is roughly the same. It's easy to remember him fondly but he was just as pish first time round - only difference was he was mainly a sub and as I said earlier he could maybe get away with that again. Expensive sub though!

Funnily enough, the jamrags never rated Ivan very highly either.

Am i only allowed 3 :(

Stevenson Sproule and 1 from this lot Hart Gailbraith O Hanlon Stack, Towel Griffiths

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Comment removed
    Comments like that are normal on Keechback. Not so welcome here.

Sproule was lucky to play in a very good team first time round. He is contributing nothing this time.

GG
    Last edited by Mikey; 29-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Little harsh on Ivan. He was deeply flawed but as a return on 5k he was fantastic. He was also vital for the days we didn't play so well as he was always a way to force teams back or change a game if necessary. By his final season he'd become overly predictable though and it was the right time to call it a day.

He's sadly far closer to that 5k value now than the 500k player he became.

Hart is a must to go firstl, in fact just get rid of the whole defence and start again.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Not in coma, I was there when he bagged his hattrick..... However IMO he is living off that, and I think some fans views are tainted because of that day at Ibrox.... For me he is a poor player
    Said the same thing to colin last night, Ivan while fast has lost the edge to his pace that took him past players to be able to "attempt" a cross, now hes just a player with good pace but is unable to provide any trickery to actually beat a fullback.

You could pick ANY 3 from 20.

So lets get rid of the 3 Highest earners, this will at least free up some cash.