hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

Electronic cigarette

Any smokers out there used one of these? I do not and never have smoked so wondered if any good as looking to get one for my mum as a present but will only do say if comments here are favorable.

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    My dad uses one, it hasn't helped him to stop smoking at all, just means he can smoke wherever he wants! You can use the e-cigs in pubs and on trains.

My name is Jack, I’m a smoker

I’ve looked into these things. Some folk have said the work well for them others get quiet sare heids.

There have also been issues with dodgy batteries in them. Folk breathing in battery fumes instead, or as well as, the vapour! :cough:

Various countries have banned them although a ban in the USA has recently been overturned.

They were on my Christmas list, however the jury is out for me at the moment.
    Space to let

Coaching Staff
    How about just giving up?

Try Allan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. I read it over a year ago. It annoyed me because he sounds cocky and arrogant. But stick with it - see it for what it is, soak up the information he gives you. I have not smoked a single cigarrette since and I can honestly say hand on heart, that it has not been a hardship. I feel freed from a pointless and destructive (and expensive!) addiction. Nowadays, I can't believe that I used to smoke because I don't understand why anyone would - no good can ever come from it.

You can totally do it.
    Last edited by steakbake; 21-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Try Allan Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. I read it over a year ago. It annoyed me because he sounds cocky and arrogant. But stick with it - see it for what it is, soak up the information he gives you. I have not smoked a single cigarrette since and I can honestly say hand on heart, that it has not been a hardship. I feel freed from a pointless and destructive (and expensive!) addiction. Nowadays, I can't believe that I used to smoke because I don't understand why anyone would - no good can ever come from it.

You can totally do it.
    Was that aimed at me?

I’M not ready yet. There's been a fair amount of pressure from other people but I think you'll know yourself the time has to be right for me.

Alan Carrs book is very good, my wife used it when she gave up smoking over 7 years ago! She doesn't gloat but I know many others that do.

I have the book on my Tab and when the time is right I’ll read it.
    Space to let

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Was that aimed at me?

I’M not ready yet. There's been a fair amount of pressure from other people but I think you'll know yourself the time has to be right for me.

Alan Carrs book is very good, my wife used it when she gave up smoking over 7 years ago! She doesn't gloat but I know many others that do.

I have the book on my Tab and when the time is right I’ll read it.

I think so - I had reached a point where I was reaching for the book because I wanted to stop. A woman at my work told me about it and it went from there.

There is nothing worse than an ex-smoker who gloats - sorry if I came across that way, I just totally believe that book is worth reading IF/WHEN you are ready to read it.

Smoking is an addiction and a self perpetuating one at that. The book gives you a different perspective on it - something that nicotine replacement therapies etc don't do.

I think so - I had reached a point where I was reaching for the book because I wanted to stop. A woman at my work told me about it and it went from there.There is nothing worse than an ex-smoker who gloats - sorry if I came across that way, I just totally believe that book is worth reading IF/WHEN you are ready to read it. Smoking is an addiction and a self perpetuating one at that. The book gives you a different perspective on it - something that nicotine replacement therapies etc don't do.
    I wasn't referring to you :-)
    Space to let

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wasn't referring to you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Any smokers out there used one of these? I do not and never have smoked so wondered if any good as looking to get one for my mum as a present but will only do say if comments here are favorable.

Cheers
    Tesco garages were doing an e-cig for £5.99 (10 motives) so I purchased one probably more for the novelty factor as opposed to a means of stopping. I decided one night to leave my baccy at home & see if I could go all night at work just using my e-cig.

I still went outside with my colleagues despite being allowed to use indoors which I suppose is part of a social habit. My first puff about blew my head off as the strong vapour hit my throat & I got the buzz of pure nicotine (which I dont get from rolling baccy)..that was a one off though & after a few short "draws" later I gradually got used to it . Tastewise it was unusual, a weak tobacco taste which I would probably describe as sickly.

There are many e-cig's on the market that have various tastes/strengths etc to suit the individual but it could become a costly practice to find the custom cig that would suit your preferences with regards your favoured brand. Also remember some kits have only flavour & vapour & some have flavour, vapour & nicotine.

Worth getting your Mum the Tesco one, if anything, for the novelty value. If she enjoys it then she can think about the more expensive kits.

When I was hooked I bought one of those e-fags from the stall at the gyle. I thought it was great at first but I eventually had to increase my dose and it felt like torture going without a real fag. When the inserts get to the end they taste so horrible you will almost vomit.
    I had to stop using them because I got really bad pains in the left side of my chest. I didn't even want to know if it was my heart or not.
    I wouldn't recommend them as a stopping aid as you're still putting nicotine into your system which doesn't really help.

As for the Allen Carr book others are talking about, I remember starting a thread on that a while back. I had to read it three times before it sank in and I haven't smoked for nearly 6 months. It's amazing how the smoker cons himself to simply get that fix of nicotine.
    Stopping is simple once you realise that you've been brainwashed into believing bad things will happen or you won't be the same person if you don't do it. Getting my head round this fact and de-constructing what I had taught myself to believe was the hard part.

And as for ex-smokers who gloat or criticise smokers...they're still brainwashed and believe they have to fight themselves not to smoke and are giving smoking too much credit. There's no need.

Sorry to go on but if stopping really was down to willpower or being able to overcome bad withdrawal symptoms I would still be smoking.

Well done Peter
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar

You can totally do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    When I was hooked I bought one of those e-fags from the stall at the gyle. I thought it was great at first but I eventually had to increase my dose and it felt like torture going without a real fag. When the inserts get to the end they taste so horrible you will almost vomit.
    I had to stop using them because I got really bad pains in the left side of my chest. I didn't even want to know if it was my heart or not.
    I wouldn't recommend them as a stopping aid as you're still putting nicotine into your system which doesn't really help.

As for the Allen Carr book others are talking about, I remember starting a thread on that a while back. I had to read it three times before it sank in and I haven't smoked for nearly 6 months. It's amazing how the smoker cons himself to simply get that fix of nicotine.
    Stopping is simple once you realise that you've been brainwashed into believing bad things will happen or you won't be the same person if you don't do it. Getting my head round this fact and de-constructing what I had taught myself to believe was the hard part.

And as for ex-smokers who gloat or criticise smokers...they're still brainwashed and believe they have to fight themselves not to smoke and are giving smoking too much credit. There's no need.

Sorry to go on but if stopping really was down to willpower or being able to overcome bad withdrawal symptoms I would still be smoking.
    just started reading this, is it a book you would recommend reading in a couple of nights or taking your time with it?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    just started reading this, is it a book you would recommend reading in a couple of nights or taking your time with it?
    I would take my time. You smoke while you are reading it and you ask yourself why you do it and analyse the reasons. I felt it better not to rush. Even if you read it quickly and it doesn't all sink in you'll probably realise there is something in it and will want to read it again.

You have to finish it though. Sounds obvious but you'll understand when you get further into it.

Cheers Peter!! Hopefully this time next week it'll be a new me :)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Cheers Peter!! Hopefully this time next week it'll be a new me :)

Good luck and let us all know how you're getting on.

Only half way through it and I'm already questioning myself when I light up!!

I read Carr's book but it didn't help with the smoking. I think I'm maybe too stubborn to be "brainwashed" a second time. The only thing that ever helped me stop smoking, for a whole year, was acupuncture. I don't know why or what it does for you but it had the most incredible effect on me. Unfortunately, after the most debauched weekend in the history of mankind I was back on the cigarettes.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    stopped smoking december 9th havent touched one since

i use the champix tablets u get from the doctor downside is you have to attend weekly meetings to keep getting the prescription

anyway to the OP whilst at these meetings a few folk have asked the nurses about these e-cigs (as not everyone uses the pills to stop)
    the reply has always been that they are not licensed by any recognised UK health bodies.
    the NHS and themselves personally wouldnt recommend using them as no one has any real clue to what the vapour is thats in them (as already said above) its also been said that it could actually be a kind of bleaching agent but its all guess work as theres been no real study on them due to them being new on the market and the small amount of people actually using them.

id stay clear as the way iv taken it is your basically a guinea pig using them when your actually attempting to make yourself healthier.

hope that helps

Skycig.co.uk. works for me.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Got the e cig and have been off the fags since the 1st. Don't miss them at all as I'm still getting my nicotine hit, but without all the side effects like tar and all the other poisons that come with tobacco. I can breath freely and don't have the psychological need to make sure I've got my fags in my pocket before leaving the house. Feel very confident that the next stage (weaning my self off the e cig) will be a doddle. No wonder the tobacco lobby have invested so much money in getting this banned.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Got the e cig and have been off the fags since the 1st. Don't miss them at all as I'm still getting my nicotine hit, but without all the side effects like tar and all the other poisons that come with tobacco. I can breath freely and don't have the psychological need to make sure I've got my fags in my pocket before leaving the house. Feel very confident that the next stage (weaning my self off the e cig) will be a doddle. No wonder the tobacco lobby have invested so much money in getting this banned.
    Sounds like you're doing really well. Well done

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    Sounds like you're doing really well. Well done
    Thanks mate, still going strong! :-)