hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Celtic to face UEFA probe over IRA chants

UEFA will be launching an investigation after Strathclyde Police reported several instances of "offensive chanting" to their match delegate during their match against Rennes.

The case is likely to be heard next month.

Lothian and Borders Police are also conducting their own investigation after many Celtic fans complained about pro-IRA chants being sung by their fellow fans during their match at Tynecastle last month.

Still "the best fans in the world", though, according to Peter Lawwell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15706740.stm

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Good on uefa But what are Scottish governing bodies doing about these idiots that sing it EVERY week??? The sqaure root of f all!!!!!..Its time Celtc and Rangers were deducted points till the morons learn!!! But i wouldnt hold my breath.

Bigots the pair of them

But it is their god given right as the down trodden masses of weegieland to sign about another countries troubles.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's a strange one.

I wish those morons wouldn't sing pro IRA songs, but is it actually against UEFA rules to do so?

Just because it offends doesn't mean it's illegal.

I'm offended by every song Hearts sing, but unfortunately, they have every right to sing them.

Having posed that question, I'll be pleased if UEFA do act against them.

Maybe we'll finally start dealing with the issue.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Think the point is that they are bigots that have attached themselves to football clubs in the same way that casuals were thugs that did the same. Penalising them in a football way is almost irrelevant. In a parasitic relationship, I am not sure if the merit in punishing the host. I remember back to the eighties when the proscribed paramilitaries were not allowed to speak on TV so their words were read by actors. SKY and the others should do similar and speed it up like Pinky and Perky, like when you played an LP at 45rpm.

Interesting to note in the OP that it was Celtc fans themselves that complained to L&B Police.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a strange one.

I wish those morons wouldn't sing pro IRA songs, but is it actually against UEFA rules to do so?

I'm offended by every song Hearts sing, but unfortunately, they have every right to sing them.

Not strictly true, the "oh the hibees are gay" song is against the rules as your not aloud homophobic chants but nothing is ever said about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Think the point is that they are bigots that have attached themselves to football clubs in the same way that casuals were thugs that did the same. Penalising them in a football way is almost irrelevant. In a parasitic relationship, I am not sure if the merit in punishing the host. I remember back to the eighties when the proscribed paramilitaries were not allowed to speak on TV so their words were read by actors. SKY and the others should do similar and speed it up like Pinky and Perky, like when you played an LP at 45rpm.
    The equivalent would be if Hibs adopted a business approach designed to appeal to the casual market. It is no coincidence that these people have attached themselves to these clubs.

I've long said that it would be UEFA to take the Old Firm to task, the SFA / SPL don't have the balls to do it (or maybe that's thinking too well of them, maybe they just don't want to) and I always thought that sooner or later, UEFA would have had enough and nail them to the wall.

Surely if UEFA start nailing them for things that our bodies should be anyway, they should start taking action against the SFA / SPL for not doing their duty?

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Rangers got into trouble for fans f the pope add-ons and the use of the word fenian in an anti catholic context as I understand it

Are Celtc fans pro provo chants anti-protestant? It will be interesting to see if that stands up in court.

We are at the stage now where the SFA should take the lead and ban any chants and banners of a political nature at Scottish football grounds unless authorised e.g. anti-racism. Fine clubs first then play matches behind closed doors then points deductions if it continues.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

I am totally in agreement with the view that action should be taken by the SCOTTISH powers that be because this goes on every week, home and away by the Old Firm 'followers'.

Until we have points deductions, grounds closed, prosecutions and severe financial penalties this behaviour will continue and grounds will continue to empty.

Are you listening, SFL and SFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    I am totally in agreement with the view that action should be taken by the SCOTTISH powers that be because this goes on every week, home and away by the Old Firm 'followers'.

Until we have points deductions, grounds closed, prosecutions and severe financial penalties this behaviour will continue and grounds will continue to empty.

Are you listening, SFL and SFA?
    The powers to do such things are on the books already, they just lack the testicular fortitude to actually use them.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Who gives a ****! It doesn't offend me one bit because I don't listen to it, take any notice of it or if the truth be known even realise what they're singing. I go the games to watch the football, far too many folk getting hung up on what's being sung by the opposition fans.....total nonsense IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Who gives a ****! It doesn't offend me one bit because I don't listen to it, take any notice of it or if the truth be known even realise what they're singing. I go the games to watch the football, far too many folk getting hung up on what's being sung by the opposition fans.....total nonsense IMO.
    I agree, no one ever got hurt by being sung at. Half the songs although they may be offensive are not illegal. There are worse things going on in the world

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    UEFA will be launching an investigation after Strathclyde Police reported several instances of "offensive chanting" to their match delegate during their match against Rennes.

The case is likely to be heard next month.

Lothian and Borders Police are also conducting their own investigation after many Celtic fans complained about pro-IRA chants being sung by their fellow fans during their match at Tynecastle last month.

Still "the best fans in the world", though, according to Peter Lawwell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15706740.stm
    To be pedantic, the article doesn't say the songs/chants to be investigated by UEFA were pro-IRA - just says they were "offensive".

@hibs.net private member
    Seems strange that Shamrock Rovers fans can travel to Spurs in huge numbers, give their team fantastic backing, sing their hearts out, and not resort to IRA chants/slogans (as far as I'm aware).
    Is it because the Rovers and their fans really are Irish whereas some celtic supporters just wannabe?!?

Best fans in the world my ring.

Agreed. The clowns probably love all the attention they get because of it, so we just shouldn't bother even mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Seems strange that Shamrock Rovers fans can travel to Spurs in huge numbers, give their team fantastic backing, sing their hearts out, and not resort to IRA chants/slogans (as far as I'm aware).
    Is it because the Rovers and their fans really are Irish whereas some celtic supporters just wannabe?!?
    Yes, exactly. Celtic fans want to be stuck in the dark ages, they want to live in a Protestant country were it matters to be in the minority.

Fact is they live in a country where most people don't care about religion and the ones that do are often nice people who tolerate the other religions.

There are undoubtedly bigots but their archaic rubbish gets less and less relevant as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's a strange one.

The Provisional IRA is a proscribed terrorist organisation in this country. I'm fairly certain that means it is therefore illegal to promote or encourage this organisation in any way, in this country.

I don't see the difference between these Celtic fans singing and chanting in support of the PIRA and the Muslims who go about chanting in support of al Qaeda and other such groups.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Spot on.

I actually remember commenting on that when I watched Shamrock Rovers play Spurs a few weeks ago. Every single song that I heard their fans sing was in support of their own team and not a single IRA song in sight. Despite the fact that they were playing in the capital city of the United Kingdom.

Nothing will come of this due to the 'these songs refer to the 'ra' of the irish war of independence, not the 'ra' of enniskillen, omagh etc etc.' defence.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Nothing will come of this due to the 'these songs refer to the 'ra' of the irish war of independence, not the 'ra' of enniskillen, omagh etc etc.' defence.
    That's certainly the party line that the apologists trot out Hibsbollah.

But I reckon that the Scotland knows exactly what there idiots are all about. Furthermore their time, along with the bammers in the Rangers support, is up.
    The tired excuse that it is somehow political just does not wash . It's not political at all - show me the manifesto!
    What it is actually is vile, hateful cretinous ***** and the greater Scottish society is absolutely sick of it.

For too long we have tolerated the lunatic fringes of the Old Firm support like errant children.
    Well no more. I back the Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Not strictly true, the "oh the hibees are gay" song is against the rules as your not aloud homophobic chants but nothing is ever said about that one.
    Tough to defend the jambos on this one, but how is it homophobic? Unless being called a hibee is really offensive to someone who is homosexual?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    The Provisional IRA is a proscribed terrorist organisation in this country. I'm fairly certain that means it is therefore illegal to promote or encourage this organisation in any way, in this country.

I don't see the difference between these Celtic fans singing and chanting in support of the PIRA and the Muslims who go about chanting in support of al Qaeda and other such groups.

Spot on.

I actually remember commenting on that when I watched Shamrock Rovers play Spurs a few weeks ago. Every single song that I heard their fans sing was in support of their own team and not a single IRA song in sight. Despite the fact that they were playing in the capital city of the United Kingdom.
    Why would Shamrock Rovers fans be bothered about the IRA and all that?

Since the majority of Ireland did become a Republic its more of an issue for the Republicans in Northern Ireland. Glasgow is far more aligned to Beflast and other places in the north than Dublin.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by pentlando View Post
    Tough to defend the jambos on this one, but how is it homophobic? Unless being called a hibee is really offensive to someone who is homosexual?
    Same argument as the Skacel song. It's the suggestion that there there is something wrong with being gay. They don't mean it as a compliment.

Although I've always thought there is no difference in singing about someone being a bas**** or fat, or ugly, or needing glasses, or whatever. It might be making fun of someone but the inference is that there is something wrong with being the thing that is sung about.

Can't say any of these sorts of things bothers me which is why I never had any real agreement that the Skacel song was designed to be racist. Others woud argue that it doesn't matter and that if a refugee was to be offended that's what counts.

In this way if a gay person was bothered about the Hibs song then it would be homophobic.

But surely you're missing the point.

Whether it's offensive or not is irrelevant, but if Celtc get a big fine then that's surely a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Same argument as the Skacel song. It's the suggestion that there there is something wrong with being gay. They don't mean it as a compliment.

Although I've always thought there is no difference in singing about someone being a bas**** or fat, or ugly, or needing glasses, or whatever. It might be making fun of someone but the inference is that there is something wrong with being the thing that is sung about.

Can't say any of these sorts of things bothers me which is why I never had any real agreement that the Skacel song was designed to be racist. Others woud argue that it doesn't matter and that if a refugee was to be offended that's what counts.

In this way if a gay person was bothered about the Hibs song then it would be homophobic.
    Yeah totally agree with that. What i would say though is that if the Hibees are gay song is deemed to be too offensive then there is actually very few songs that could be sung. Any reference to weegies and woolly animal themed songs would have go. In any case there's definitely a marked difference between those sorts of songs and the one's the sectarianism bill is attempting to challenge. Some songs are purely political in nature and belong at political rally's and not football stadiums. IMO the tide has turned and it's only a matter of time before these songs start to die away. Whilst not doing enough the clubs in general are condemning these songs and trying to isolate the perpetrators as a minority (which again IMO they are not really). The next step is convincing the majority of supporters of these teams that the singing has to stop. If it was Hibs who were in Celtic or Rangers shoes, i know a points penalty and/or European expulsion would definitely make me more vocal in condemning the behaviour.

First Team Breakthrough
    that majority of celtic fans ive met sing these songs for a laugh and for purposes of winding people up (as can be seen on this thread). as well as that they are actually quite good songs some of them - celtic symphony has a great tune to it especially at the start.
    Last edited by libernian; 14-11-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: cant be arsed getting into a massive debate about this.

Quote Originally Posted by libernian View Post
    that majority of celtic fans ive met sing these songs for a laugh and for purposes of winding people up (as can be seen on this thread). as well as that they are actually quite good songs some of them - celtic symphony has a great tune to it especially at the start.
    Exactly. It's the first song they sing when the game kicks off for that very reason.

It's almost pantomime now because the law can't touch them and even the new laws that might get passed one day will be easily be dealt with by a reasonably skilled lawyer.

Ignore them and keep these threads for those who actually chant about hating other religious groups.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    Exactly. It's the first song they sing when the game kicks off for that very reason.

It's almost pantomime now because the law can't touch them and even the new laws that might get passed one day will be easily be dealt with by a reasonably skilled lawyer.

Ignore them and keep these threads for those who actually chant about hating other religious groups.
    I'd love to hear you (and Libernian) give some sort of justification as to why you think Celtic fans chanting about the IRA is just a wind up.