hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Rob Jones' Mother-in-Law - Top Wummin'!

Aside from all the mirth and merriment surrounding the plums, I thought I would share with the board, a chance meeting I had in Stockton-on-Tees yesterday.
    Down there on business I had the good fortune to be introduced to the Mother-in-Law of Mr Rob Jones.

The lady was extremely interested to learn that I was a devout Hibby and shared with me her good feelings towards, Edinburgh, more particularly Leith and more particularly the Hibs.

She tells me that she, her husband and Rob and his family still consider themselves Hibbies and look for our results every week. She and her man attended Hibs games prolifically during Rob's time with us and she tells me that the LC Final DVD and that Sunshine on Leith moment still brings a tear to her eye. It was her husband's proudest moment to hold his recently born grandson at Hampden that day as the emotion poured out and the unforgettable feeling as Rob's goal kicked that amazing day into life.

When Rob first came to Hibs, he had a flat in Leith and it appears that a bond was definitely made.

Rob apparently lives in Yarm now and is settled - she was keen to let people know that family was the only reason that the big fellah would have left Hibs and that his current stint in Sheffield is easy to manage.

I realise that the NE of England isn't the other side of the world, but it made me proud to hear her talk about the cabbage like this in front of her colleagues.

Look on this as a wee feel-good post and if you have anything derogatory to write about the man or his time with us, maybe start another thread. (Just in case she reads this as I told her I'd share it)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good post, It's nice to hear players or family's of former players still looking out for results and wanting us to do well. To many players these days just at clubs for the money and no interest in the club. Big Jones i thought was.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aside from all the mirth and merriment surrounding the plums, I thought I would share with the board, a chance meeting I had in Stockton-on-Tees yesterday.
    Down there on business I had the good fortune to be introduced to the Mother-in-Law of Mr Rob Jones.

The lady was extremely interested to learn that I was a devout Hibby and shared with me her good feelings towards, Edinburgh, more particularly Leith and more particularly the Hibs.

She tells me that she, her husband and Rob and his family still consider themselves Hibbies and look for our results every week. She and her man attended Hibs games prolifically during Rob's time with us and she tells me that the LC Final DVD and that Sunshine on Leith moment still brings a tear to her eye. It was her husband's proudest moment to hold his recently born grandson at Hampden that day as the emotion poured out and the unforgettable feeling as Rob's goal kicked that amazing day into life.

When Rob first came to Hibs, he had a flat in Leith and it appears that a bond was definitely made.

Rob apparently lives in Yarm now and is settled - she was keen to let people know that family was the only reason that the big fellah would have left Hibs and that his current stint in Sheffield is easy to manage.

I realise that the NE of England isn't the other side of the world, but it made me proud to hear her talk about the cabbage like this in front of her colleagues.

Look on this as a wee feel-good post and if you have anything derogatory to write about the man or his time with us, maybe start another thread. (Just in case she reads this as I told her I'd share it)

Nice post and all good to hear
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Left by mutual consent!
    Nice post.

I had good feelings about that day, unlike the one in 2004.

When Big Rob went up and buried that ball in the back of the pokey, and then went on a run around Hampden to celebrate, I just knew we had the cup in the bag.

Never in a Million years did I think I'd see the scenes at the end of the game though. Simply Magical.

Thanks Rob:cgwa

He wore funny shoes B-)

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Nice post.

I had good feelings about that day, unlike the one in 2004.

When Big Rob went up and buried that ball in the back of the pokey, and then went on a run around Hampden to celebrate, I just knew we had the cup in the bag.

Never in a Million years did I think I'd see the scenes at the end of the game though. Simply Magical.

Thanks Rob:cgwa
    Yep, he was a leader of men. We had some good football players in that team then, but in a game as important as that and when it was still pretty tight he attacked that ball and wanted it more than anyone else. He got us on our way that day and lead like a captain should

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Nice story and good to hear good things about our city and team.
    There used to an ex players mother who used to post on here?
    Was it Chris Killen's mum?

Hibernian had waiting for big Rob for years. Weve have also missed him since he has left.

Great post and I think people sometimes forget how big an effect we as fans can have on the lives of players and their families. Hope he'll return one day!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

!

Mon the big man! Where is he these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Mon the big man! Where is he these days?
    He's captain at Sheffield Wednesday (think he scored the other week actually).

Fantastic post was a great central defender and I know a lot of you liked Hoggy on here but I always maintained he would be lost without Jones which was proved when he left.
    Power to the big fella and all the best at Sheffield Wed

Nice story. Great to hear

Awe come on! These shoes were boggin. I'm away to start another thread :-D

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    He's captain at Sheffield Wednesday (think he scored the other week actually).

cheers

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Good to hear. Always thought he was cracking.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    He was a good 'un! A cult hero who gave 100% every game.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Great post and I think people sometimes forget how big an effect we as fans can have on the lives of players and their families. Hope he'll return one day!
    Excellent post - my Sentiments exactly - And i would Personaly Like To Thank Mrs Jones For Having and Letting the big chap play for us.. and for being a HIBBY

I was chatting about the current Hibs defence earlier today and agreed that we need - "someone like Rob Jones". Always believe in...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    YArM?

Goalscoring captain in a cup winning team? Legend.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    What a great thread, was always a fan of Rob, said we'd miss him defensively and I don't believe we have replaced him since, good guy, part of the Hibs family and I am watching how he is doing at Sheffield Wednesday. Good to hear how he and his family feel about the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    What a great thread, was always a fan of Rob, said we'd miss him defensively and I don't believe we have replaced him since, good guy, part of the Hibs family and I am watching how he is doing at Sheffield Wednesday. Good to hear how he and his family feel about the club.
    The Sheffield forums and likes seem to be full of positive comments... they even trying to start the we will always believe in rob jones song - going.. apparently btw ..

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Scunthorpe UnitedThe 2009 close season saw Jones linked with several Championship clubs including Derby, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Swansea.[14] He eventually signed for Scunthorpe United for an undisclosed "club record" fee, thought to be in the region of 50p

Found this on Wikipedia, how much did he actually go for?

@hibs.net private member
    Super opening post HH. Big Rob - captain extraordinaire. That iconic photo of Rob turning away from goal with the snow falling, arm raised in salute, after opening the scoring in the League Cup Final, is a classic image ... oh the memories of that day.
    A' the Best Big Man!

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Defence hasn't been the same since he left, got the ball rolling in probably the greatest day ive experienced as a Hibs fan and for that ill always remember him and be grateful, all the best Jonesy!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    few of the guys from our bus are going to sheffield game on sat, rob sorted the tickets for them

Left by mutual consent!
    Superb story about a superb player

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    He carried the defence at a time when we had a succession of bumpy goalies.

We so need him back.