hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will quite simply not pay £2.20 for a pie. Absolute no chance, Id rather fill my face with munchies from Greggs before entering the stadium.
    I fill my face with Greggs IN the stadium...pastry (or 2 ) HOT BLACK coffee...and an iced donught.....Yum Yum.....

I long for Greggs to bid for the contract.....

2. Log in to remove the advert

TBH - I would rather Hibs did all fans a service and stop the catering. It is a bigger pi55 take than what we have been served up on the pitch since CIS victory in 2007. Absolutely disgusting and so over priced i have refused to purchase for many years. Someone said earlier what do we expect at the football. Well my friend I expect at the football what I expect elsewhere - reasonably good service, reasonable prices and reasonable food. If not then my pennies stay in the pocket and I will take my own food in as usual. I hate to criticise anything to do with the club but if the board think the catering is acceptable then they obviously do not give a 5hit about the fans.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    If I take the kids to the football then they get their lunch before the game and their tea afterwards. If I'm out on a bevvy, I get my breakfast before the game and a takeaway when I get home. No need for food at the game.

The young untrained staff are another way of them saving money because the minimum wage for U18s and U16s is lower than that for those over 18...

Quote Originally Posted by JennaFletcher View Post
    The young untrained staff are another way of them saving money because the minimum wage for U18s and U16s is lower than that for those over 18...
    And that isn't something that can happen down here by the way (and presumably at Murrayfield?) because of the kiosks serving alcohol.

Testimonial Due
    So, would you rather they were employing 19 year old silver service wonder kids? I dont care if they make profit on what they serve up, it is like any business they offer a service and take a profit on something, if folk are not interested dont buy. But I would rather they took the profit from employing youngsters (giving them a job), the profit from the so called over-pricing and invested it in the team or the running of the club.

Anyone that is expecting some gourmet effort served up by some kid with marbles in their mouth, either wants to get real, I dont even think you get that at the cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Anyone that is expecting some gourmet effort served up by some kid with marbles in their mouth, either wants to get real, I dont even think you get that at the cricket.
    No just value for money same as anywhere else.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    TBH - I would rather Hibs did all fans a service and stop the catering. It is a bigger pi55 take than what we have been served up on the pitch since CIS victory in 2007. Absolutely disgusting and so over priced i have refused to purchase for many years. Someone said earlier what do we expect at the football. Well my friend I expect at the football what I expect elsewhere - reasonably good service, reasonable prices and reasonable food. If not then my pennies stay in the pocket and I will take my own food in as usual. I hate to criticise anything to do with the club but if the board think the catering is acceptable then they obviously do not give a 5hit about the fans.
    Pretty much agree with that. Without wanting to sound melodramatic: it's not the food itself, but what it says about the club's attitude to supporters (and I'm not an anti-Board ranter). It's insulting. As others have said, if they had to exist on the open-market, they would close down within weeks. I've been at matches abroad where they've provided decent food, and at grounds that do it better in Scotland (like Killie and Dunfermline), and my one and only rugby match at Murrayfield (where they have independent stalls / vans), and it doesn't seem to be impossible to provide an acceptable product. Why can't we do it?

I think you've all forgotten that the club simply do not give a flying one about the 'matchday experience'.

Pre-match 'entertainment' - players stretching and punting shots high into the stands accompanied by pish music and some babbling on the PA that you can't really make out.

The match - er, mainly pish.

Food - absolute gash, too expensive, supplied by 12 year old jakeys who can forget about a career in hospitality.

Half time - see 'pre-match entertainment' above, plus the occasional rubbish competition, usually trying to boot a ball into an empty net to win 100 quid or something.

Full time - some more gash music to walk out of the ground to.

About 25 quid for all of the above - BARGAIN!

So, would you rather they were employing 19 year old silver service wonder kids? I dont care if they make profit on what they serve up, it is like any business they offer a service and take a profit on something, if folk are not interested dont buy. But I would rather they took the profit from employing youngsters (giving them a job), the profit from the so called over-pricing and invested it in the team or the running of the club.

The size of the profit made by the caterer is irrelevant to the amount the club receives.

You may not expect edible food but some of us are a little bit more fussy than you and refuse to shell out £15 so that our kids can eat ***** we wouldn't feed them elsewhere. What does it say about Hibs attempts to attract families along when they can't even give them an adequate snack?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I think you've all forgotten that the club simply do not give a flying one about the 'matchday experience'.

Pre-match 'entertainment' - players stretching and punting shots high into the stands accompanied by pish music and some babbling on the PA that you can't really make out.

Food - absolute gash, too expensive, supplied by 12 year old jakeys who can forget about a career in hospitality.

Half time - see 'pre-match entertainment' above, plus the occasional rubbish competition, usually trying to boot a ball into an empty net to win 100 quid or something.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, Steve-O. I used to bang on about the complete lack of effort put into the 'match-day experience' all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, Steve-O. I used to bang on about the complete lack of effort put into the 'match-day experience' all the time.
    It should be how it was for the Dnipro game, for example, EVERY time!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Here is one to chew over for y'all. The caterers will have submitted their bid based on the assumption of X numbers attending the games. With that number decreasing they will have to put their prices up to compensate and make sure the old P&Ls look good.

As an aside, personally I rarely eat anything there, preferring a bit of wholesome food (whatever the heck that is) but I do like my Bovril. An idea I have had for years but never done anything about is to open a stovie shop, selling the various varieties, with maybe a portable stall (like the Yanks hot dog stalls) outside the clubs at night. I love stovies I have to be honest, but one of the biggest arguments we always had at sea was which stovies were the right stovies!!! For me, square sausage are the best, closely followed by corned beef.

As an aside, which company has the stalls? Not Azure is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post

Sounds like you are getting yourself in the mood for the Nix kicking off next week and the "quality" catering we get at the Westpac...

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    If the fans stopped buying the pies burgers etc the club would surely take notice and try to improve the services?? A sort of food boycott at the Motherwell game

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Steak Pies are wonderful. They were probably the only entertainment available at ER last season

The beer on the other hand

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    The size of the profit made by the caterer is irrelevant to the amount the club receives.

You may not expect edible food but some of us are a little bit more fussy than you and refuse to shell out £15 so that our kids can eat ***** we wouldn't feed them elsewhere. What does it say about Hibs attempts to attract families along when they can't even give them an adequate snack?
    The size of the profit is not irrelevant. I would assume the caterers pay Hibs a rent to use the facility. But like any retail type unit the rent will be calculated on the amount of revenue the facility is able to generate over the period of the lease they are given. i.e. the higher the prices/turnover the more rent hibs will be able to charge - alas my point would you rather have a better team or be made to feel warmer and nicer at HT when you decide to tuck into a pie.

The food is more than edible, my point is this is another .net thread about wanting hibs to give the fans something for nothing/or in this case vastly improved quality at a reduced price....lets be honest, I wish a lot more things in the world were a lot better for a lot cheaper before I would start thinking about the pies at easter road!

Well feed them elsewhere so you dont need to feed them at the game. It says it is not a restuartant, if you want a snack there is a variety of things you can have. If not have an extra apple before and then get yourself and the kids to Rhubarb on the way back down the road.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Don't actually buy the food, not cos of the quality, just because it's so expensive! Will have the occasional Bovril on a cold January Wednesday in a all-or-nothing, do-or-die top of the table clash with St Mirren

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The Steak Pies are wonderful. They were probably the only entertainment available at ER last season

The beer on the other hand
    Thank christ BTG have upped their standards and have started selling Crabbies!

The size of the profit is not irrelevant. I would assume the caterers pay Hibs a rent to use the facility. But like any retail type unit the rent will be calculated on the amount of revenue the facility is able to generate over the period of the lease they are given. i.e. the higher the prices/turnover the more rent hibs will be able to charge - alas my point would you rather have a better team or be made to feel warmer and nicer at HT when you decide to tuck into a pie.

The food is more than edible, my point is this is another .net thread about wanting hibs to give the fans something for nothing/or in this case vastly improved quality at a reduced price....lets be honest, I wish a lot more things in the world were a lot better for a lot cheaper before I would start thinking about the pies at easter road!

Well feed them elsewhere so you dont need to feed them at the game. It says it is not a restuartant, if you want a snack there is a variety of things you can have. If not have an extra apple before and then get yourself and the kids to Rhubarb on the way back down the road.
    You are confusing revenue with profit and I can't be bothered getting into a retail strategy debate so I'm going to ignore that bit. Part of the problem may be that folk think that offering over-priced product to an ever dwindling customer base (I mean, fewer folk buying the food as opposed to attendences) is the way to maximise revenue.

This isn't a forum about 'a lot more things in the world', this is a forum about Hibs. No-one is asking for 'something for nothing'. Folk are, justifiably, saying that the products sold are not value for money and that they should either be cheaper or better quality.

I do feed them elsewhere but thanks for all the handy parenting advice. It's always good to get some pointers from an expert. Although you evidently don't get it, the food on offer is part of the 'matchday experience'. If Hibs really want to tempt families, they need to offer facilities, food and entertainment on a par with competing attractions. The facilities cut the mustard - nothing else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Sounds like you are getting yourself in the mood for the Nix kicking off next week and the "quality" catering we get at the Westpac...
    The pies are no bad, because they are those pre-packaged ones you get over here. Saying that, the chips and burgers at the stadium are rancid. Fish and chips is passable and a last resort that I sometimes get if I've had nothing to eat.

And, can get beer there too...ER can't beat that!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    TBH on the rare occasions that we buy pies at the match I have never found them to be as bad as described by some on here, maybe that's because they meet my expectations of a pie at a football match! They are expensive in comparison to what you can buy outside but it's always the case with a captive audience just look at motorway service stations. My only real gripe is why they don't sell chips in the West Upper but they do in the lower.

A revelation in the food industry would be a ruling enforcing manufacturers or caterers to reveal the cost price of ingredients for producing food stuffs, but that's a different argument for another day. However, we'd truly see how much we're being ripped off in this country.

Don't like the food? Don't buy it. They'll soon sit up and take notice.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moff1875 View Post
    A revelation in the food industry would be a ruling enforcing manufacturers or caterers to reveal the cost price of ingredients for producing food stuffs, but that's a different argument for another day. However, we'd truly see how much we're being ripped off in this country.

Don't like the food? Don't buy it. They'll soon sit up and take notice.

Every manufacturing industry is the same!

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    I dont really see why age should matter though. For a combined total of around 40 minutes i would expect even a 13 year old to smile, turn a full 180 degrees to fetch a pie and occasionally push a big red button to get some hot water out.

We should have a facility whereby we can phone in our order while watching the first half and be able to collect it during the interval.

Simples.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The standard of food on sale at football matches hasn't realy improved in real terms since the 70s. It was crap back then and is still crap, just much more overpriced nowadays. I got food poisoning at the Hibs v Meadowbank cup game that was played at Tynecastle back in the early 80s and am amazed that there is not more stories of food poisoning when you see the standard of caterers at ER.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    TBH on the rare occasions that we buy pies at the match I have never found them to be as bad as described by some on here, maybe that's because they meet my expectations of a pie at a football match! They are expensive in comparison to what you can buy outside but it's always the case with a captive audience just look at motorway service stations. My only real gripe is why they don't sell chips in the West Upper but they do in the lower.
    No real demand, what with all that caviar, cress and cucumber,,,,,
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    There's so many cheap and tasty things they could do that'd be better than the slop they serve.

Stovies is one, scotch broth the other, proper bridies or sausage rolls, decent pies - I'd imagine you'd sell more if they were tasty. I know I get myself two pies if I'm at Killie.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    The standard of food on sale at football matches hasn't realy improved in real terms since the 70s. It was crap back then and is still crap, just much more overpriced nowadays. I got food poisoning at the Hibs v Meadowbank cup game that was played at Tynecastle back in the early 80s and am amazed that there is not more stories of food poisoning when you see the standard of caterers at ER.
    My son has spewed up twice after having ER hotdogs. Needless to say he doesn't get them now.