hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The food is terrible at ER. Its a case of buy now pay later on the crapper scenario haha

Seriously though the Mince Pies are disgusting and full of gristle (spelling) and the pastry is usually solid. The steak and so called gravy pies are dried out and you find more fat and connective tissue than you do meat.

(when i moved form the old east to the west upper i though great we will get pies with real gravy and meat in them, i was mistaken)

Chicken balti pies are also woeful as .sean. states in an above post. The prices are an absolute shambles and i dont know how they can justify charging £2.40 for a 500ml bottle of Coke or Diet Coke poured into a paper cup when the shops along ER sell them for 90p. Hibs are holding fans to ransom because you cant bring cans or bottles in to the stadium.

I have not dared to try the hot cats/dogs or the cheese burgers or hamburgers in those foil bags yet and Im in no hurry to either.

Meal deal the west upper is a mince pie and a tea/coffee or bovril for £4.20 - that is truely shocking.

Cmon Hibs get it sorted. Decent catering is minimum surely???

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pah! Nonsense! The steak pies are tremendous and piping hot, much better than Greggsand well worth a couple of quid!! Never understood how folk complain about them being cold. Eat them at the game - don't take them home with you!
    agree with you about this!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The biggest issue is with the cost. The food itself is acceptable in the main but the prices are an absolute scandal. If it was your local greasy spoon charging those prices it would close down very quickly as no one would pay so much given a choice. But there in lies the problem, captive audience of football fans = piss taking of the highest porder when it comes to pricing!

The BTG food is a joke. Very, very expensive. Cost less a few years ago for a much bigger portion.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The food at Easter Road is an utter disgrace. No quality control whatsoever and the pricing is ridiculous. I refuse to buy anything there. Last time I got a pie that cost about three times what you'd pay in Greggs for one, and it was so hard I reckon if my aim was good enough I could have knocked out the linesman with it.
    I remember Colin Cameron getting hit by a pie thrown from the west stand a good few years ago

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The food at ER was always ghastly. In the sixties my dad and I used to take in pork pies and crisps to eat.

Best pies used to be at Falkirk Brockville - not too greasy, decent pastry and full of goodness.
    Had a Steak Bridie at Dunfermline recently, only £2.20 and delicious. I think the mince pies at ER are not bad tbh, a wee bit overpriced but at least the bovril has improved. Had a curry pie at St Johnstone last season and it was bogging.

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    I remember Colin Cameron getting hit by a pie thrown from the west stand a good few years ago
    They eat pies in the west stand?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    That's the thing though bollah, I just wonder how far Hibs go to explore investing in local business, especially those with a good reputation. Killie, as well as the footy, are known for their pies..........so folk will buy them to see what the fuss is about. If you got someone like Crombies on board then folk would perhaps pay the £2 for a good, quality steak pie. If it only costs £1.20 in the shop, I don't see why you couldn't. Yes they need to cover staff and catering costs but I am positive it could be done. Not that I am on commission from the place but they recently supplied us for an event and they were very easy to deal with, and cost was excellent. The kids and young folk literally loved the food too.

You've also got Tony Crolla and La Favorita on Leith Walk........explore them doing Hibs pizzas..........just explore and see if there is a better, more localised way to improve catering (and above all quality).

You probably are like me and grew up with the greasy pie and the bovril (if indeed we ate at games). But the simple truth nowadays is that people want value for money and quality at football. My eldest likes a wee Subway to himself and when he sees the pizza or pie at Easter Road he turn his nose up (wee snob ). That's the modern football fan...............in fact, what would be wrong with granting concessions within Easter Road (like they do with the bookies).

Maybe one day mate we will be sitting with our kids, Crabbies in one hand, Crombies steak pie or Subway meatball sandwich in the other, wazing lyrical about how the Hibernian midfield could do with an Ed De Graaf type
    I would love to see Crombies or Tony Crolla at Easter Road providing food. I have also had dealings with Crombies and they are very accomodating and make excellent, tasty, reasonable products. The pizza at Easter Road at moment is bearable but barely tasty. Get La Favorita in!

Quote Originally Posted by connerg View Post
    Had a Steak Bridie at Dunfermline recently, only £2.20 and delicious. I think the mince pies at ER are not bad tbh, a wee bit overpriced but at least the bovril has improved. Had a curry pie at St Johnstone last season and it was bogging.

That will be why you bought 2 of them then?? After wolfing down 2 steak pies you gannet!

Would love to see the GP on the food at ER It's really overpriced for the quality. I think the local business is the way to go. No one wants Cordon Bleu food at ER but a certain standard should be served. I know Crombies does a great discount on their burgers when bought in bulk. However this would mean they may have to get some proper people in to cook the food. Also I saw the someone else talk about the staff anyone that works with food in the UK must have at least basic food and hygiene or be shown to be trying to get it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    [/B]That will be why you bought 2 of them then?? After wolfing down 2 steak pies you gannet!
    Right enough, you were there with me. Did we have a few refreshments before the game?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    That's the thing though bollah, I just wonder how far Hibs go to explore investing in local business, especially those with a good reputation. Killie, as well as the footy, are known for their pies..........so folk will buy them to see what the fuss is about. If you got someone like Crombies on board then folk would perhaps pay the £2 for a good, quality steak pie. If it only costs £1.20 in the shop, I don't see why you couldn't. Yes they need to cover staff and catering costs but I am positive it could be done. Not that I am on commission from the place but they recently supplied us for an event and they were very easy to deal with, and cost was excellent. The kids and young folk literally loved the food too.You've also got Tony Crolla and La Favorita on Leith Walk........explore them doing Hibs pizzas..........just explore and see if there is a better, more localised way to improve catering (and above all quality). You probably are like me and grew up with the greasy pie and the bovril (if indeed we ate at games). But the simple truth nowadays is that people want value for money and quality at football. My eldest likes a wee Subway to himself and when he sees the pizza or pie at Easter Road he turn his nose up (wee snob ). That's the modern football fan...............in fact, what would be wrong with granting concessions within Easter Road (like they do with the bookies).Maybe one day mate we will be sitting with our kids, Crabbies in one hand, Crombies steak pie or Subway meatball sandwich in the other, wazing lyrical about how the Hibernian midfield could do with an Ed De Graaf type
    Loving that mental picture! But steady with the subway meatball...i found out recently this is the most calorific fast food item by size bar none...over 1000 calories for the footlong sub. Also known as The Grande Nade©.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 06-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Right enough, you were there with me. Did we have a few refreshments before the game?????????????

I think there might have been a few ales had before the match. Yes

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    What type of grub are people expecting at a f****** fitba match? Everytime i've tried something its been spot on. Prices are expensive but foods alright.
    food that is consistently edible. sounds like that is not the case and that you're one of the lucky one. :)

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The pars steak bridies are the best ive tasted and there is some eating in them too which is an added bonus . [ must admit ,when in the 1875 suite in the west , had a couple of free steak pies , and they were not the same ones you get in the east , very nice indeed , but free always tastes better

GGTTH]
    Last edited by erin go bragh; 06-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Our pies are absolutely horrific at worst, poor at best. Pastry is either soggy or rock solid, meat content is laughable and generally **** quality meat too.

I'm not expecting michelin star dining, but something tasty and of reasonable quality is surely to be expected.

@hibs.net private member
    The food at ER is generally of not great quality and, more than anything, vastly overpriced IMO. It's an area that really needs looking at - I like to eat as much anyone but the prices we're being charged are a rip off and consequently I don't buy as much as I might and to me that means the club may be missing out on MORE revenue while I'm enjoying LESS scran! Everyones a loser!

From what I understand the catering's done on a year by year contract by outside bidders - is that the right way to do things? Possibly the most cost effective but surely we deserve better than the current pish! One way or another it needs to be sorted out

£6.10 for a cheeseburger meal! I'm out.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I dont buy it cos its expensive. Thats my choice. What we have to remember regarding pricing is that the food us served in a very small window of about two hours. Within that window there are two busy periods in just before kick off and at half time. The amou t if staff to service those times need payed and will contribute to the cost directly.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I dont buy it cos its expensive. Thats my choice. What we have to remember regarding pricing is that the food us served in a very small window of about two hours. Within that window there are two busy periods in just before kick off and at half time. The amou t if staff to service those times need payed and will contribute to the cost directly.
    I'm not sure I get your point. Every retailer has staffing costs, whether they are employing them for 4 hours or a full day.

There's nothing to justify the prices they charge, especially when you look at the 'quality' of the products, other than it being a captive audience.
    Last edited by Beefster; 07-10-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    £6.10 for a cheeseburger meal! I'm out.

Testimonial Due
    We are talking about ******* pies here. Whilst Alan Ruff may be a reasonable judge of such things, who really cares.

Personally I only ever eat from Easter Road in two situations 1) If I am absolutley ravenous, or 2) massively hung over. In either situation I would not expect to be overly delighted with the product, lets be honest it is stuff that it heated up and sold as and when someone walks up, what we expect for that I dont know. My only stiplution is that those serving give their hands a wash from time to time!

There used to be a chip shop under the west terrace at Selhurst Park, Palace's ground. Open one hour before the match. Good nosh too.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    Without wanting to bang on about the fifers at EEP recently for the 2-2 game i was delighted with the quality of the stovies and the bridies, excellent.

£1:50 for the stovies iirc, tremendous value.

Poor quality pies at ER imo, overpriced and filled with molten lava.

STOVIES??! OMG....imagine a big hot steaming vat of stovies....2 sizes/prices of punnet (small and large)...and a wee plastic fork to eat them. We could throw away a 5 goal lead and I would still be happy.

GG
    Last edited by The Green Goblin; 07-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.

This is an old chestnut of a thread.

Obviously the food on offer is rubbish.Anyone who disagrees is daft/uneducated/malnourished.Think Killie pie for one thing.

It is also vastly overpiced.

The catering contract is given to the highest bidder who esxploit all of us by overpricing and providing a crap service.They also exploit the spotty schoolkids they use.

The responsibility for making things better is with the Board.They are upstairs eating proper food and don't really give a damn

I have written to them (politely) and at length suggesting alternatives.

I did not even get the courtesy of a response.

I then phoned to suggest someone might at least acknowledge the letter.
    i was promised the Commmunicatons Director would call.

Still waiting.

To hell with them.I will never buy any food there again.

Are you listening Scott Lindsay? It was before your time but a little imagination in this area would provide some money for the ever-depleting coffers.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'm not sure I get your point. Every retailer has staffing costs, whether they are employing them for 4 hours or a full day.There's nothing to justify the prices they charge, especially when you look at the 'quality' of the products, other than it being a captive audience.
    The point I am trying to make, albeit badly, is that staffing costs in respect to turnover will be greater than say Greggs for instance. 8 people per kiosk only actually productive for about an hour and probably paid for arguements sake 4 hours. They dont earn their corn for the other 3 so their cost for those three hours is offset against 1 hours of sales captive or not.No excuse for quality however Having read that back I might still be making a pigsear of explaining what I mean. Still hugely overpriced though.
    Last edited by greenlex; 07-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    They eat pies in the west stand?
    Obviously not, that'll be why someome launched it!

First Team Breakthrough N.Wales Hibby's Avatar
    Why not scrap the football and have the Scottish Pie League where the teams are made up of caterers who run around the pitch selling there wares. The top stars of the teams would be the cordon bleu piemakers who would serve up a mouthwatering display and thrill us with there skill. We would have our average piemakers who some weeks are good and other weeks are rubbish. The subs are made up of young guys learning there trade, the piemakers of the future. . Imagine the songs. Who ate all the pies...Bye , Bye American pie. Your rotton pie making barstewards. Steakbakes on leith and many more. The result would be based on who's pies where the best.............Sorry..........

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus Hibby View Post
    Why not scrap the football and have the Scottish Pie League where the teams are made up of caterers who run around the pitch selling there wares. The top stars of the teams would be the cordon bleu piemakers who would serve up a mouthwatering display and thrill us with there skill. We would have our average piemakers who some weeks are good and other weeks are rubbish. The subs are made up of young guys learning there trade, the piemakers of the future. . Imagine the songs. Who ate all the pies...Bye , Bye American pie. Your rotton pie making barstewards. Steakbakes on leith and many more. The result would be based on who's pies where the best.............Sorry..........
    Would the Hearts pies just be a low calorie version of the Rangers pies?

Only if I was Hank Marvin would I buy an ER pie again.
    Hard outer, yet undercooked grey meat-flavoured solids inside
    for the 'bargain' £2+ aye get tae ....

For the price of couple of pies, can go after the game to Ferry Road
    and get a great fish supper, no brainer.

Another ER PR muck-up. Get Crombies in as stated before.