hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irony or what?

While chelsea have pumped out alot of money just recently, make no mistake that the focus is now on young players, he will get his chance if he works hard soon enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does, in a way.
    At a very, very base (but accurate), level.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cilla Black View Post
    In one interview, Lennon manages to disrespect a young footballer, his agent and one of the best football clubs in the world. And still act like a victim. The perfect representative for Celtic Football Club.
    He did nothing of the sort. He said his head had been turned. Okay he seems displeased at the agent, but then again, when did they become paragons of virtue in football?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Surely you can see an element of similarity
    In that Chelsea get a player on the cheap? Yes.

But...

Have Celtic lost players on the cheap? Yes
    Are celtic any different to any other club in how they sign players? No
    Have Celtic actually shafted Hibs for players? No

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghhibee View Post
    Couldn't help but read that article with a massive smile on my face, Celtic deserve that and there greeting and whinging is music to my ears. Like another poster said they have been shafting smaller clubs in this way for years with no sympathy for the clubs concerned. Celtic fans and there board need to start realising that they are no longer a big club in world football and that they're youngsters will jump at the chance to move on should one of the big clubs come calling.

On a side note this move is a great opertunity for Islam as instead of training up against Loovens, he'll now have to beat Terry, Ivanovic, Alex, A.Cole and this can only be a possitive thing in his career. Hopefully the young man will gain confidence and become a great player for them and return to Scotland to play for the National team.
    What smaller clubs have Celtic shafted and provide me with the circumstances please?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.
    So in other words, you don't know what you are talking about and just making baseless assumptions.

thanks for clearing that up.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
    Have Celtic actually shafted Hibs for players? No
    We allowed Stokes to go for too small a fee, so Riordan was probably the most recent - tapped him up to sign him on a Bosman after he had turned 23/24.

Real shame that you're getting a taste of your own now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    He does, in a way.
    You must be easily impressed. Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot.

He did nothing of the sort. He said his head had been turned. Okay he seems displeased at the agent, but then again, when did they become paragons of virtue in football?
    I think you'll find he did

Wealthier clubs plundering poorer ones for their assets. In association football football, too. Who would have thought it?

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    You must be easily impressed. Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot.

If your going to come on here and post smart a**e digs like that then away back to Kerrydale wi ya
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Jack, what is the response of your average Celtic supporter to the constant whinging your club officials display at every possible opportunity?

I'd be proper embarrased.

if you look at the transfer in a comparative way - chelsea are going out on a limb to rescue a young man from life in deprived city where he would, most likely, make little or no footballing progress. asylum granted....and they may even chuck in an advanced driving course for his maw

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.
    A bold attempt to make a special case for this lad's circumstances Jack, but other than a Club's supporters, there is little loyalty in football. Hibs have been shafted by Celtic for well after 100 years and you can't expect to get much sympathy for your argument on here, as has been demonstrated by the responses to your initial post.

What I will say is that unless you support Man United or Barcelona, there is always a Club in the World which is bigger than your own and to whom you will lose your promising youngsters, sometimes for nowt. From a Hibs point of view we have in the main been well rewarded financially for releasing our young players. I only wish that our Board had the foresight to see that short term financial gain is counter productive to becoming a thriving, vibrant Club with an exciting team on the park which is being borne out by Hibs current predicament. We had the chance to get out of our eternal state of mediocrity when John Collins was appointed as our Manager but sadly our Board and players weren't willing to back him.

As for Celtic, your fall from grace (and equally Rangers) from a UK or European perspective has been collosal over the past few decades to the extent that in UK terms you are no more important or bigger than Sunderland or Newcastle, who have been 2 of English footballs biggest underachievers over the years. From a competitive point of view your current standard is probably middle Championship level. So for that reason you better get used to losing your best young players in future to Clubs you would probably view as smaller than your own.

What does this say for other Scottish Clubs - well not a lot, but from an insular Scottish point of view a weaker Celtic and Rangers may make for a more competitive SPL in future which might just generate more interest in the Scotish game, perhaps even from a media/TV point of view. This in turn might provide some much needed investment in the Scottish game and perhaps may lay the foundations for better times ahead for Scottish football.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 27-09-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Do Celtic fans have an alarm that goes off on their computers everytime their team is criticised on another teams fans website calling for patronising pish to be posted thereon? Its tedious in the extreme! BITC manages to do it for the other mob, but, with a bit more subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Jack, what is the response of your average Celtic supporter to the constant whinging your club officials display at every possible opportunity?

I'd be proper embarrased.
    Good question. I can only answer from a personal perspective, so I'd say that while some of the clubs gripes ARE justified, they have bottled out addressing real areas of concern and a lot of the what comes out from Lawwell, Reid et al is done to deflect from their abject failure over the last 3 or so years.

@hibs.net private member
    Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).
    Hay moved to Chelsea in 1974, Dalglish to Liverpool in 1977, Macari to Man U in 1973, Nicholas to Arsenal in 1983 and McLair moved to Man U in 1987 having been lured from Motherwell in 83, so I dont really get the point about McLair. I am unsure how many of these went to a tribunal but the question that leaps out is have you nothing more current? Collins in 1996 which was a Bosman and Liam Miller who left in 2004.

Good question. I can only answer from a personal perspective, so I'd say that while some of the clubs gripes ARE justified, they have bottled out addressing real areas of concern and a lot of the what comes out from Lawwell, Reid et al is done to deflect from their abject failure over the last 3 or so years.
    Never mind that. Is till think you are a grade A tool.

Was he not getting a bit old for the celtic youth coaches anyway

You must be easily impressed.
    What never fails to impress me is the amount of self-righteous weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth that comes from Celtc fans. It's almost Presbyterian.

OK. You lost out on a youth player after seemingly doing him a good turn. Hardly unusual in today's game and I'm sure Celtc would be quick to shaft any other club if it improved their playing staff so - tough luck.

What you won't find is any sympathy on here. Anything bad in footballing terms happening to Celtc and your close cousins, Rangers, will be celebrated on here.

Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot.
    I love Hibs no matter what. Three trophies in my lifetime and every one savoured to the maximum.

Would you still be following Celtc if they had only won three trophies in the same time frame?

Something tells me you wouldn't have the fortitude.

I've always been a tad suspicious of the lad, its not uncommon for Africans to lie about there childrens age, to get to stay longer in a country and get the children a full education.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was 21/22 and hence always looked way better than his current age group.

Time will tell.

Coaching Staff
    Hardly comparable.

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.
    Yeah, but surely you can't deny the lad his dream move to a big club?

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    I heard he was willing to move back to Somalia to get out of Glasgow.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post

'out of the frying pan...into the fire'

Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post
    I think the Somalis have arranged a Benefit Concert for the boy!