hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irony or what?

Irony or what?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...ership&BID=425

Welcome to our world.No mirrors in Glasgow?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CmoantheHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
    Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.
    That sounds so patronising it's untrue. Because Celtc rescued the guy and his family from a "hell hole" you expect him to stay at Celtc for the rest of his playing days (or until you decide he's no longer needed)? Should have got him on a longer contract eh?

OFGTF!!!

Well I do think it's a problem how clubs can lose their youth so easly. I don't feel sorry for celtic though because they have used the same tactics as chelsea have on plenty youth players from partic, st mirrin, morton and many more. Not to mention the ever lasting list of talent we have been forced to let go to both old firm clubs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The difference between Hibs and Celtic in this case is that Celtic have lost a player that has made no impact at all. When Hibs lose players to the Old Firm they are first team, starting players who are 90% of the time the best at the club.

Unfortunately for the rest of the SPL, Celtic and Rangers can afford to replace their best players, still leaving other teams hugely disadvantaged.

Another reason that the SPL is painful not only to watch some of the time, but be a part of altogether, as no matter how much ambition a board at Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or anyone else for that matter, they will still have the Big Brothers with their fianancial muscle at the top. And that's the way it will stay unless something radical is done.

Hardly comparable.

I'm wiping tears as I write this..........awww poor shellick

Left by mutual consent!
    Hardly comparable.

It's swings and roundabouts for Celtc mate. As you can see with the article below, Celtc let Dylan McGeough go at 14 and then Lennon went to his house to re-sign him from Rangers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-22769772/

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    It's swings and roundabouts for Celtc mate. As you can see with the article below, Celtc let Dylan McGeough go at 14 and then Lennon went to his house to re-sign him from Rangers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-22769772/
    Celtc poaching barstewards.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Not to mention celtic taking our youth academy director John Park in 2007, which I think was a massive lose to Hibs more than an unproven U17 player.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Celtc poaching barstewards.
    Aye but the linesman would play them onside.

Hardly comparable.

Im sure Celtic did it purely for his footballing talents rather than a goodwill for human nature.Do they do similar for everyone else in the same position?.So in my eyes it is no different to Chelsea throwing more money at him.Just a different bribe.Like I say welcome to our world.
    I do agree about the tabloid presentation of it though and find it distasteful and, although representation of the title is correct to a certain extent,it is certainly likely to be misinterpreted.It tells you more about the person that has the final say about going to press than the story itself.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Couldn't help but read that article with a massive smile on my face, Celtic deserve that and there greeting and whinging is music to my ears. Like another poster said they have been shafting smaller clubs in this way for years with no sympathy for the clubs concerned. Celtic fans and there board need to start realising that they are no longer a big club in world football and that they're youngsters will jump at the chance to move on should one of the big clubs come calling.

On a side note this move is a great opertunity for Islam as instead of training up against Loovens, he'll now have to beat Terry, Ivanovic, Alex, A.Cole and this can only be a possitive thing in his career. Hopefully the young man will gain confidence and become a great player for them and return to Scotland to play for the National team.

@hibs.net private member

Speaking of irony I was monitoring the little spat between Lennon and Commons during which one of them was clearly not being totally truthful. Given Celtic's stance last season over Dougie MacDonald I would expect them to investigate this instance in the same robust manner and, as they thought Dougie MacDonalds fib was a sacking offence, surely it would be hypocritical not to seek the same outcome when it's their own staff.

Hardly comparable.

How many other unfortunates have lived in that hellhole but have had no help at all from that charitable institution aka Celtic Football Club? If only they knew how it would turn out they'd have sent him back on the first available flight to the real hellhole he escaped from.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    That sounds so patronising it's untrue. Because Celtc rescued the guy and his family from a "hell hole" you expect him to stay at Celtc for the rest of his playing days (or until you decide he's no longer needed)? Should have got him on a longer contract eh?

OFGTF!!!
    Nowhere does my post say that. I was merely pointing out that the circumstances were different to Celtic's signing of players from Hibs, whereas the OP conveyed (wrongly IMO) an element of similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    How many other unfortunates have lived in that hellhole but have had no help at all from that charitable institution aka Celtic Football Club? If only they knew how it would turn out they'd have sent him back on the first available flight to the real hellhole he escaped from.

Im sure Celtic did it purely for his footballing talents rather than a goodwill for human nature.Do they do similar for everyone else in the same position?.So in my eyes it is no different to Chelsea throwing more money at him.Just a different bribe.Like I say welcome to our world.
    I do agree about the tabloid presentation of it though and find it distasteful and, although representation of the title is correct to a certain extent,it is certainly likely to be misinterpreted.It tells you more about the person that has the final say about going to press than the story itself.
    Fair post. I only commented because the OP suggested that Celtic, in particular had form for this type of thing and that Celtic have never lost players they'd unearthed, when clearly this is not the case. Although I do think Feruz's departure is fundamentally different from normal player transactions, which is what Celtic have done with Hibs (to varying degrees of success)

What has happened with Feruz, is just par for the course in today's game and one of the many things that piss me off about it.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Hardly comparable.Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.
    Away and dry yer eyes ya patronising Celtic twat.

This makes no sense. Either you are saying Celtic should just have let him been deported with thoughts of "I wonder what happened to that wee asylum seeker fae Sighthill" or are you suggesting we should have done that for every Asylum seeker regardless of their football ability.

Most rational people would have thought "that's pretty good of Celtic seeing some raw talent in a boy
    and trying to help him and his family and using his football talent to help better themselves"

But no, by your clouded rationale, because its Celtic, it was wrong to do this.

Of course other clubs would have acted differently, that must be why you are trying to grab some moral high ground.

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Away and dry yer eyes ya patronising Celtic twat.
    Great response. Really liked how you deonstructed the points I raised.

Also, I'm not sure you know what patronising means.

You might after reading this post though.

Everything about Celtic does my head in.

This makes no sense. Either you are saying Celtic should just have let him been deported with thoughts of "I wonder what happened to that wee asylum seeker fae Sighthill" or are you suggesting we should have done that for every Asylum seeker regardless of their football ability.

Most rational people would have thought "that's pretty good of Celtic seeing some raw talent in a boy
    and trying to help him and his family and using his football talent to help better themselves"

But no, by your clouded rationale, because its Celtic, it was wrong to do this.

Of course other clubs would have acted differently, that must be why you are trying to grab some moral high ground.
    What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.

Left by mutual consent!
    What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.
    The good-guy-yet-victim mentality is in the Celtc DNA and Feruz heading south will simply re-affirm it in their own eyes.

In one interview, Lennon manages to disrespect a young footballer, his agent and one of the best football clubs in the world. And still act like a victim. The perfect representative for Celtic Football Club.

Really liked how you deonstructed the points I raised.
    He does, in a way.

Fair enough I've only ever played against him at grassroots, but the boy will probably fit in better to the Chelsea system. The boy was so highly rated that he was able to contend with people sometimes 4 years older than him, and was still by far the most technically gifted player on the pitch.

As for Lennon saying he would have benefited more at the tims, I'm sure that the coaching offered at Chelsea greatly eclipses the standard offered at dark heid.

Hasa he signed? I am going to get a Chelsea top with his name printed on it for the game in a few weeks.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Nowhere does my post say that. I was merely pointing out that the circumstances were different to Celtic's signing of players from Hibs, whereas the OP conveyed (wrongly IMO) an element of similarity.
    Surely you can see an element of similarity
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Stew the Hibee View Post
    Fair enough I've only ever played against him at grassroots, but the boy will probably fit in better to the Chelsea system. The boy was so highly rated that he was able to contend with people sometimes 4 years older than him, and was still by far the most technically gifted player on the pitch.

As for Lennon saying he would have benefited more at the tims, I'm sure that the coaching offered at Chelsea greatly eclipses the standard offered at dark heid.
    More than likely the coaching is better at Chelsea but it seems he would have been playing for Celtic in 1 or 2 years.If he makes it at Chelsea it will probably be 3 or 4 years,if not he is binned to who knows where.2 years 1st team experience,learning his trade before moving on would serve him better imo.Its what, in my recollection, is the most popular advice given to our young talents at ER that are attracting attention from wealthier clubs

More than likely the coaching is better at Chelsea but it seems he would have been playing for Celtic in 1 or 2 years.If he makes it at Chelsea it will probably be 3 or 4 years,if not he is binned to who knows where.2 years 1st team experience,learning his trade before moving on would serve him better imo.Its what, in my recollection, is the most popular advice given to our young talents at ER that are attracting attention from wealthier clubs
    Most likely in a few years he will be loaned out to a bottom championship club (after a couple of years coaching at Chelsea) where he will either move to a championship team, or return to Chelsea. Either way, we always also tell our players to seek ambition - this boy has gone to Chelsea and so surely can't be accused of having none.