hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scott ??

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that it would probably be better to have the meal together (most clubs do it for a reason!) however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they have a sit down and relax together, or a team meeting, or whatever, just without eating at the same time.

Maybe Calderwood thought these meetings would be more effective without the distraction of eating!
    But the point being IF this is/was CC's way of thinking then results suggest he's perhaps got it wrong?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Do you think they can only talk over a meal? I don't know why, but I have this vision in my head now of people imagining the players coming in and not saying a word to each other (having not spoken to each other all week, as well) and just getting changed in silence before a quick pep talk from Billy Brown (not CC, he'll not have delivered any messages since joining the club probably).

FWIW, I communicated stuff out to my team at work today, and we all had lunch at different times, as we do most days. We've had a great day, too!

You couldn't make it up!

Only subjects up for discussion would be birds, bookies, golf handicap and slagging the gaffer. Absolutely no different to what the players talk about on the golf course, William Hill's or in Lulu.

In saying that, when I played many many years ago in a tournament in Ayr (juvenile), Rangers (who at the time were managed by Jock Wallace) arrived all in suits and club ties, and indeed, all ate together in a very disciplined manner. We turned up in baggy jeans and flock of seagulls haircuts, and ate chips and had food fights ! We were gubbed 6-0 with a young John Spencer scoring 4. I still think it was our haircuts and mullets that let us down, not the pre-match meal

In all seriousness, I don't look too much into the pre-match meal thing. Club discipline and professionalism I do though. That includes timing, dress code, off field discipline and training. The pre-match meal won't affect results too much. Team bonding happens usually in bars or nightclubs I'm afraid. And in the bookies or golf course during the week.

Anyway, for all the slagging wee Wotherspoon has taken this week from a few Hibees, I'm putting a wee wager on him scoring again against his team, the Saintees. Get tight on Sandaza and I can see a nice wee 3-1 win. I'll buy them all chips in the Tail End afterwards if they're hungry

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    You honestly think I'm seriously suggesting that they (he) aren't aware of the home record (and yes it is shameful) of SPL (Yes the Berwick win was nice) results because they don't have a lunch? Come on! What I'm suggesting quite obviously tongue in cheek I would have thought is that perhaps in such a get together such things would be discussed... Of course I'm not suggesting in only a pre match lunch can it be discussed!

I come from a sales background. Monday morning breakfast meeting where believe me you leave knowing exactly where you are in terms of performance and exactly what you need to do. As football is a results driven business I would rather have suspected footballers would similarly know exactly where they are etc. And I confess to being surprised that they don't.

Given our current performance and results I just don't see why everything shouldn't be questioned and scrutinized. Because let's be honest something quite clearly isn't right.

I suspect that you would also defend the other bee in my bonnet today of CC not spying on St Johnstone on Sunday?
    I think CC should have watched the game or if that wasn't possible for whatever reason, ensured that St Johnstone were watched. I suspect they'll have been watched more than once ahead of the game though.

I think things should be questioned as well, but I think folk being astounded and astonished and of the opinion that we're on a losing run because lunches have been scrapped, or that the team bonding has been hindered because they don't eat together, to be something quite ridiculous.

I also think some folk have had a massive over-reaction to the news that lunches have been scrapped.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Billy Brown watched St.Johnstone.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Billy Brown watched St.Johnstone.
    Suites me, he's the one with the brains.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

How will it work with the evening kick-off? We've won our last couple of evening games (albeit one on penalties) - does anyone know if the players had tea together those nights?

Just if we're stuck I'll be leaving work a bit early, I could nip by KFC and drop some scran in for the players on my way in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Suites me, he's the one with the brains.
    I know what you're going to do when we build on this unbeaten run and move up the league.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Osbourne in tonights EEN incredulous when hearing of our home record of no win since Feb.... appears to not at all have been aware of it...

Maybe a wee lunch together before a game to communicate such issues might be an idea from a motivational point of view...

You couldn't make it up...

is that your idea of motivation ? " we haven't won here since Feb " I would imagine negative chat like that is the sort of thing to be avoided, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    is that your idea of motivation ? " we haven't won here since Feb " I would imagine negative chat like that is the sort of thing to be avoided, no ?
    You know what you are absolutely right. Let's tell them they are doing just fantastically well.

Poor footballers they get such a tough time. Unlike any other profession let's absolutely not tell them when they are not doing what they should be.

So listen folks the next time you are pulled up by a gaffer or mentor at work or school on not being where you are in whatever you are doing just remind them "Hey that's negative!"

Perhaps Billy Brown shouldn't at 1-3 got in about them giving them as that too was "negative"...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

You know what you are absolutely right. Let's tell them they are doing just fantastically well.Poor footballers they get such a tough time. Unlike any other profession let's absolutely not tell them when they are not doing what they should be.So listen folks the next time you are pulled up by a gaffer or mentor at work or school on not being where you are in whatever you are doing just remind them "Hey that's negative!"Perhaps Billy Brown shouldn't at 1-3 got in about them giving them as that too was "negative"...
    Go the other way and tell them they're not getting lunch til they win again.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Cant believe this ***h has made it to 4 pages.

Poor players are no getting a meal pre-match

Has it been confirmed that there is no team meeting before the game as well?

Blame Petrie
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Go the other way and tell them they're not getting lunch til they win again.
    Aye quite funny...

Though on the flipside had the club just recently introduced pre match meals as just about every other professional club does, for reasons a lot more than the 'scran' some are naively believing, you'd be singing the clubs praises!
    Last edited by smurf; 27-09-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Aye quite funny...Though on the flipside had the club just recently introduced pre match meals as just about every other professional club does, for reasons a lot more than the 'scan' some are naively believing, you'd be singing the clubs praises!
    I have said all along that i think it would be better if they had lunch together, so well done- you can read.

I have said all along that i think it would be better if they had lunch together, so well done- you can read.
    No need to be like that now. It's only a debate is it not?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

No need to be like that now. It's only a debate is it not?
    But it's ok to make the subtle digs about party lines, or making presumptions on what I think about CC not watching St Johnstone, or to tell me what I'd be saying if we introduced meals? Come on smurf, at least I'm not hiding the fact I'm taking the pish with some of the posts - would much rather than that the snidey wee digs.

But it's ok to make the subtle digs about party lines, or making presumptions on what I think about CC not watching St Johnstone, or to tell me what I'd be saying if we introduced meals? Come on smurf, at least I'm not hiding the fact I'm taking the pish with some of the posts - would much rather than that the snidey wee digs.
    I'm not sure you can really have a proper debate with someone who admits to being astonished,depressed,concerned and best of all horrified all because the players don't have a pre match meal ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I'm not sure you can really have a proper debate with someone who admits to being astonished,depressed,concerned and best of all horrified all because the players don't have a pre match meal ?
    I've got to disagree with you here. Depressed was definitely the best superlative used on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I've got to disagree with you here. Depressed was definitely the best superlative used on this thread.
    do you think ? I thought horrified was definitely the best...........had visions of the wee blue fellah going all ' Rita Hayworth ' with hand over mouth and swooning in best amateur dramatic fashion ?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Is there a better superlative than best?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Depressed was definitely the best superlative used on this thread.
    Disagree. Depressed isn't a superlative. Shirley the superlative is depressedest?

You couldn't make this thread up!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by reallapsedhibee View Post
    Disagree. Depressed isn't a superlative. Shirley the superlative is depressedest?

You couldn't make this thread up!
    I'm now most depressed about this.

BTW I diagree - you could make this thread up.

It's a bit of banter but yes I stand by my opinion. I think you have a default position of always defending club policy. At times its like you automatically go into spinning furiously for the club mode... I think you do as you are just defending your and our club but I think it can at times give out the impression of others who are 'Off message' being less of a 'Supporter'...

I respect your opinions though obviously disagree with many but aside from debate I'm not at all looking to make snidey digs and I've no reluctance to apologise if this is how you've taken that..

Perhaps I'm guilty at times of seeing the negative but hey 10th last season, embarrassing cup exits, the home record in the SPL since Feb, CC's overall record getting close to that of Duffy something IMHO seriously stinks at our club..

As a result of such pathetic 'Sporting performance' I absolutely am questioning everything.... Surely that's fair and legitimate? To be honest we need IMHO given our results a complete root and branch review of every single part of football operations...

I've long held the opinion that there is a mindset issue at our club. Expectations within the support that I believe are realistic are not seriously mirrored at the very top of our club. Yes the rhetoric is there... but IMHO we have a very conservative board of directors. I seriously doubt that there is an environment of real expectation that transmits from the boardroom through the manager and into east mains.

The pre match meal is much more IMHO than a "Free Scran". That this is no longer happening as part of our matchday preparation justifies IMHO questioning against the backdrop of our results the past couple of years. It may well be completely insignificant but to ridicule the questioning of it as some have is IMHO silly. I stand by my POV that its removal is just symptomatic of everything I feel is wrong at Easter Road/East Mains.

I've little faith in our manager. Like us all I hope and pray that not for very much longer we will be doubters. Starting tomorrow evening.

GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It cant be beyond the wit of a professional athlete (yeah, I can see the flaw there) to take the right food and stuff before a match, or indeed at any other time. Should the club be expected to provide all the meals? Or maybe a wet nurse and chef to tend to them and cook for all the other times they're not at the club?

I suspect what's expected of them is written on a wee piece of paper for them too … just in case they cant remember!

As for Scott being punished for being late, I can only assume his reasons for being late were not very good.

The club may provide the meals, but the players pay for them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Sounds like the canteen at my work.

Sounds like the canteen at my work.
    Are you an athlete? Does your employer have a vested interest in what you eat?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know what you're going to do when we build on this unbeaten run and move up the league.
    Yip i think i will hyper ventilate with all the excitement.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It's a bit of banter but yes I stand by my opinion. I think you have a default position of always defending club policy. At times its like you automatically go into spinning furiously for the club mode... I think you do as you are just defending your and our club but I think it can at times give out the impression of others who are 'Off message' being less of a 'Supporter'...

I respect your opinions though obviously disagree with many but aside from debate I'm not at all looking to make snidey digs and I've no reluctance to apologise if this is how you've taken that..

Perhaps I'm guilty at times of seeing the negative but hey 10th last season, embarrassing cup exits, the home record in the SPL since Feb, CC's overall record getting close to that of Duffy something IMHO seriously stinks at our club..

As a result of such pathetic 'Sporting performance' I absolutely am questioning everything.... Surely that's fair and legitimate? To be honest we need IMHO given our results a complete root and branch review of every single part of football operations...

I've long held the opinion that there is a mindset issue at our club. Expectations within the support that I believe are realistic are not seriously mirrored at the very top of our club. Yes the rhetoric is there... but IMHO we have a very conservative board of directors. I seriously doubt that there is an environment of real expectation that transmits from the boardroom through the manager and into east mains.

The pre match meal is much more IMHO than a "Free Scran". That this is no longer happening as part of our matchday preparation justifies IMHO questioning against the backdrop of our results the past couple of years. It may well be completely insignificant but to ridicule the questioning of it as some have is IMHO silly. I stand by my POV that its removal is just symptomatic of everything I feel is wrong at Easter Road/East Mains.

I've little faith in our manager. Like us all I hope and pray that not for very much longer we will be doubters. Starting tomorrow evening.

GGTTH.
    I appreciate the apology but I can't agree that I go into any kind of default position. I call it as I see it and if I think there is a legitimate reason to complain about the club, the way it's run, or how the manager or players are doing things then I'll post it. I generally back it up as well, if I was just blindly posting that the board were/are right in everything I wouldn't be able to back up the arguments.

So the club are cutting costs by removing something that they don't have to pay for? Genius!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    I appreciate the apology but I can't agree that I go into any kind of default position. I call it as I see it and if I think there is a legitimate reason to complain about the club, the way it's run, or how the manager or players are doing things then I'll post it. I generally back it up as well, if I was just blindly posting that the board were/are right in everything I wouldn't be able to back up the arguments.

So the club are cutting costs by removing something that they don't have to pay for? Genius!

As far as i know the club take money from the players wages each month to pay for there meals, its written in there contract, maybe the club have reimbursed the players there fiver for pre match games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

As far as i know the club take money from the players wages each month to pay for there meals, its written in there contract, maybe the club have reimbursed the players there fiver for pre match games.
    :

It looks like the cost cutting is costing us a fiver a skull then!! Only at Hibs, eh??!!

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar

GGTTH.
    Smurf - you've been a doubter for a long, long time... I don't think a few wins will change your mind. You were a member of the Hands on Hibs movement and you've stated that your preference at that time was that Brian Kennedy took control of the club. Kennedy's subsequent involvement with Stockport County has completely blown the credibility of that argument away. An astonishing (see what I did there ) lack of judgment, even with the benefit of hindsight.

A period of terrible results gives you the chance to promote your main agenda, which isn't anti-Hibernian, but is definitely anti-Petrie and Farmer.