hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minute Silence

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You seem to be confusing the countless murders of innocent citizens with the [debatable] reasons why they were murdered.

I don't think we should hold a silence today (I'm sure we held one in the aftermath of 9/11) but **** sake, a bit of respect for the dead wouldn't go amiss.
    Nobody in their right mind likes to see people incinerated in a burning tower. I feel though, that I've been giving my respect for this particular set of media-annointed dead for years and I'm getting heartily sick and angry about how this is piously paraded out for political ends again and and again.

Right. We get it.

Now let's shut the *uck up about it and maybe pay attention to the one or two other people who have also died in man-made atrocities during this time. But not at the football today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    I agree. While the democratic society we are fortunate to live in gives them the right to spout their views, the predictable left wing anti British, anti American stuff these threads encourage from the usual suspects serves no useful purpose on a football messageboard.
    For what its worth I don`t think a minutes silence is nessessary today and I would be surprised if there is one.
    What about the democratic society that allows the predictable right wing pro imperialist, anti any other view stuff from the usual suspects which serve no useful purpose on a football message board?

Hibs supporters range from the far left to the far right.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

While its undoutedly a sad anniversary, it would be peculiar to have a minutes silence at a Hibs game for this. I cant recall a silence for, say, the 5th anniversary of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami that killed 250,000.

And to those posts criticising this point of view for being leftwing anti-americanism or being disrespectful of the dead? Get a grip.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    You seem to be confusing the countless murders of innocent citizens with the [debatable] reasons why they were murdered.

I don't think we should hold a silence today (I'm sure we held one in the aftermath of 9/11) but **** sake, a bit of respect for the dead wouldn't go amiss.
    A bit of respect full stop would be welcome in todays society. Respect for others loss, belief, pain, property, efforts, needs and just plain respect would seem to be an uncool thing to do nowadays.

For what it's worth I do not feel a strong need for Hibs to hold a minutes silence today, however if there are a number of Hibbies who feel the need to do so then I for one will respect their wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice Of Reason View Post
    I will second that sir
    As will I

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Nobody in their right mind likes to see people incinerated in a burning tower. I feel though, that I've been giving my respect for this particular set of media-annointed dead for years and I'm getting heartily sick and angry about how this is piously paraded out for political ends again and and again.

Right. We get it.

Now let's shut the *uck up about it and maybe pay attention to the one or two other people who have also died in man-made atrocities during this time. But not at the football today.

Thats harsh Bob.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would have thought that if a minutes silence was to be held today it would be more appropriate to hold it for the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl ice hockey players who died in thon plane crash the other day.I know some folks who support them in Russia and I for one cannot imagine how I would feel if it happened to our first team squad. Only reason I say this is the sport angle, but I guess you cannot, sadly, have minutes silences for every untimely death out there.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If other sporting events around the world today are showing a mark of respect to these victims as a show of common decency I don't see a reason why we should not also. But if there is a minute silence, and it doesn't fit in with your own opinions, then please feel free to talk your way through it or even chant out loud.

I didn't even get half way down this thread before I had to stop reading.

I think quite a few people should have a f'in word with themselves and hang their heads in shame. To try to score some points trying to prove they have more worldly morals than the rest of us is shameful.

Do you remember the images from 10 years ago or were you so far up your own erse's that you didn't notice?

The OP simply asked if there was going to be a minute's silence. I've only just got in the door so I'm not sure if there actually was one. There definitely should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    I didn't even get half way down this thread before I had to stop reading.

I think quite a few people should have a f'in word with themselves and hang their heads in shame. To try to score some points trying to prove they have more worldly morals than the rest of us is shameful.

Do you remember the images from 10 years ago or were you so far up your own erse's that you didn't notice?

The OP simply asked if there was going to be a minute's silence. I've only just got in the door so I'm not sure if there actually was one. There definitely should have been.
    Hard to forget them - they've been on our screens every fifteen minutes since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Hard to forget them - they've been on our screens every fifteen minutes since.
    Have they? Not sure what TV channel you've been watching then. Or were exaggerating to prove your pretentiousness?

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    Have they? Not sure what TV channel you've been watching then. Or were exaggerating to prove your pretentiousness?
    Exaggerating to prove my pretentiousness.

But only slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    You should've said squire. In that case then women and children getting murdered is off course well worth it if they are looking for a few bad guys.

And they're not protecting me. I felt just as safe in 2001 as I do just now.
    And I hope for you and your family's sake that you continue to feel safe.

Probably the most embarrassing thing I've read on this site.

Perhaps a minutes silence after the game today would have been more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Perhaps a minutes silence after the game today would have been more appropriate.
    (No offence meant to the poor folks of 9/11)

Sounded like a 90mins silence on the radio.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    I think that there was a minutes silence following the tsunami and I have no doubt that there will be one on the anniversary, and rightly so.
    Am I reading this right? I can't be. You want a minute's silence every time there's a large scale natural or man-made disaster, anywhere, and also on the anniversaries of these disasters? After not very many years there'd be a minute's silence every single week.

Minutes silence/applause should only be reserved for former/current players or staff who have passed on who are directly linked to Hibs.

September 11th 2001 remains the most distressing day that I have ever witnessed in my entire lifetime.

It's quite difficult, even now, to fully comprehend what actually happened that day and it must be even more difficult for the people of New York and Washington DC, who witnessed these horrors at first hand. It's also very difficult to fully comprehend the evil that was behind those attacks.

Yes the USA bore the brunt of the attacks that day and it remains that country's darkest day. However the attacks 10 years ago were not just an attack on the USA, it was an attack on the entire Western world and its democratic ways. That wasn't just an act of terrorism, it was a declaration of war.

Having said that, I don't feel that it was necessary yesterday to hold a minute's silence for those who died that day, at a Scottish football match.

Looking back on the events of that day, even although it is now 10 years on, it still upsets me and really angers me to see the death and destruction which was brought about in these attacks. Seeing the images of those people falling to their deaths by throwing themselves out of the windows of the towers of the World Trade Centre is the most upsetting thing I have ever seen in my life. Knowing how frightened they all must have been in the moments before they jumped and realising how unbearable the heat must have been from the flames, for them to feel that their only option was to jump, it's just such a horrendous thing to even contemplate, if you even try to put yourself in that position.

For every right-minded person in the world, it was a truly horrific day and it's certainly one day in history that I will never forget until the day I die.

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    Jesus a lot of stupid people posting on this one.

My opinion is NO, we should not and glad we did not hold a minutes silence. If you feel that strongly about what happend 10years ago the I would have thought going to a Hibs game would have been the last place you would have wanted to be and more appropiate place would have been some service to remember that horrible day so you could show your resprect and your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post

My opinion is NO, we should not and glad we did not hold a minutes silence. If you feel that strongly about what happend 10years ago the I would have thought going to a Hibs game would have been the last place you would have wanted to be and more appropiate place would have been some service to remember that horrible day so you could show your resprect and your feelings.
    Well said Scott.

I'm sick to the back teeth of the mawkish drama queens who want to inappropriately turn every public occasion into a necro-fest and bore us all to death about how 'decent' and 'compassionate' they are. If they cared that much there are plenty of forums and opportunities to remember this event.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott7_0(Prague) View Post

I personally have had worse days and show my respect in my own appropriate way as anyone that felt so strongly about 9/11 could have done so on Sunday.