hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No Calderwood?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CabbageBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you are as much an ostritch as the most short sighted Yam believer

Colin Calderwood gave at least one 'off the record' interviews to the BBC about how he wanted to leave in the summer, and couldnt wait to do so. Open secret in the media, hence why the story did not die.

If he was scouting after the end of the transfer window, the U-21 story does not ring true, given that he will have been at the bounce game against Killie on Thursday. (And why, given that we have loads of raw talent but no organisation or grit, is he looking at U-21s anyway?) If he wanted to put some of this to bed, he could have moved his family here in the summer, then he could spend more time with them and less time travelling hundreds of miles a week; or maybe you think he has no coaching to do with that defence? Or that the players react well when they know the boss is away after games so cant catch them pissed in a night club?
    It has already been pointed out that there were a lot more games on than just U21 at the weekend.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Colin Calderwood gave at least one 'off the record' interviews to the BBC about how he wanted to leave in the summer, and couldnt wait to do so. Open secret in the media, hence why the story did not die.

If he was scouting after the end of the transfer window, the U-21 story does not ring true, given that he will have been at the bounce game against Killie on Thursday. (And why, given that we have loads of raw talent but no organisation or grit, is he looking at U-21s anyway?) If he wanted to put some of this to bed, he could have moved his family here in the summer, then he could spend more time with them and less time travelling hundreds of miles a week; or maybe you think he has no coaching to do with that defence? Or that the players react well when they know the boss is away after games so cant catch them pissed in a night club?
    So why's he still here then?

But hey, he's gone after the Aberdeen game anyway, so the journo's tell us, so lets wait and see what happens.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Re the bits in bold, Calderwood's in a job where players and managers alike move on every couple of years. Having a stable, settled place for your family to grow up is far more important than moving your kids every couple of years to make some randoms on a messageboard happier. Appreciate not everyone has the luxury of a settled environment (e.g. members of the Forces with families). IIRC the family are based in central England and that makes sense to me as it maximises his options around what job he takes. He's the one who takes the strain, with all the travelling.

As for the night clubs, even if he was based in Edinburgh he wouldn't really be trawling the clubs in the small hours looking for stray players would he?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    So why's he still here then?

But hey, he's gone after the Aberdeen game anyway, so the journo's tell us, so lets wait and see what happens.
    Because forest or Birmingham couldn't agree compensation, although i believe Hughtons last quote about it was that appointing CC was a work in progress and as there's still no assistant manager there (or here btw) then i wouldn't completely rule it out now either.

Can't believe we're back having the same discussion about his commitment, or lack of it again, thought we had moved past that and now we were judging him on his performance in matches. Even if him missing the game yesterday was completely innocent he really has been a disaster of an appointment, my justification for wanting him to stay is purely based on not wanting to keep changing managers but i'm really starting to swaying towards just cutting our losses and getting someone in that 100% definately wants to be here and would show some enthusiasm for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Because forest or Birmingham couldn't agree compensation, although i believe Hughtons last quote about it was that appointing CC was a work in progress and as there's still no assistant manager there (or here btw) then i wouldn't completely rule it out now either.

Can't believe we're back having the same discussion about his commitment, or lack of it again, thought we had moved past that and now we were judging him on his performance in matches. Even if him missing the game yesterday was completely innocent he really has been a disaster of an appointment, my justification for wanting him to stay is purely based on not wanting to keep changing managers but i'm really starting to swaying towards just cutting our losses and getting someone in that 100% definately wants to be here and would show some enthusiasm for the job.
    There is no evidence the amount was even discussed seriously. As far as I am aware an approach was made and dismissed out of hand, in that I could be wrong though.

Thats not the point though. Cabbageboy says that he was wanting to leave in the summer and "couldn't wait to do so". I believe if that was truly the case he would be gone. He is similar to Collins in that he is not a poor man and really, despite the dour demeanour, he is nobodies bitch. If he was as desperate to go as some suggest he would, IMO, be gone. I also dont believe that if he wanted to be away that badly Rod wouldnt have let him go.

To be clear I don't necessarily want him to go either but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he did. We would continue.

Left by mutual consent! nortonhibby's Avatar
    Evening news said Colin was abroad scouting players so no big deal here move on please.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonhibby View Post
    Evening news said Colin was abroad scouting players so no big deal here move on please.
    If this is true or he had a family emergency to attend to then that is fine by me.

I'd like to know which league this match was played in, though, since all top leagues in Europe had no matches on at the weekend due to the international break.

However, if he was on club business then I have no problem with his absence yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Right, we get it, you did not approve of Murray getting a testimonial but it seems a little childish that you are dropping in as many of the above comments in bold in a bid to have a further go.

It is also exceptionally distrespectful to people like me and many others that put our hands in our pocket to pay and go along and watch, not to mention of course Murray, club captain and someone who has given so much to hibs.
    As usual, you've completely missed the point and misread any meaning in my post.

I had no problem with the testimonial. My issue was the lack of transparency over the charity donation or otherwise. If the repeated questions about the amount going to charity had been answered rather than completely ignored time and time again, I would have probably been there myself.

The game was meaningless. Even if I had attended, I would have still considered the game to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Whether you like that or not doesn't matter two hoots to me but pointing that out to justify why Calderwood didn't attend isn't an attempt 'to have a further go'.

As for the 'disrespectful' to the fans that attended and Murray, get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Calderwood may have decided that the limited time spent with his family is more valuable than Ian Murray and decided that not seeing them for a fortnight to attend a meaningless testimonial is out of the question. In the meantime, the amateur sleuths and supporters with agendas against Calderwood have another stick to beat him with.

Scandalous. Outrageous. Sack him now.

I can't believe that some folk would go to the lengths of checking what youth games were on this weekend, tbh. Presumably you saw the mass of U21 games that took place on Thursday and Friday though?
    CC is away scouting for players at under 21 level it is reported in the Edinburgh Evening News and supporters through intrigue look at what possible fixture he could have attended...

And you can't believe a supporter would go to such lengths. Oh well there is Greggs. Defunct presumably...

And more so you construct a post to say so. I'm wasting my time pointing this out to you but perhaps you should spend less time rubbishing others opinions and indeed implying that you are a superior supporter than others.

@hibs.net private member
    Couldn't care less if he was at the game or not. In fact, I hope he doesn't bother turning up for the Aberdeen game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Couldn't care less if he was at the game or not. In fact, I hope he doesn't bother turning up for the Aberdeen game too.
    I disagree. CC now has his players after using the January and summer Windows bringing in a not unsubstantial number...

And with the international break there can be no more excuses re fitness.

Now is the time to judge the guy the board have so much confidence in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    I disagree. CC now has his players after using the January and summer Windows bringing in a not unsubstantial number...

And with the international break there can be no more excuses re fitness.

Now is the time to judge the guy the board have so much confidence in.
    Alot of the stuff you say I agree with, but can't agree here. How long do we give him? Do we leave it as long as we left Duffy in charge?

His tactics are horrific, he can't set up a defence, he can't change a game when we go behind and it's clear as day that he would be away the first chance that came along.

He is worse than Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Alot of the stuff you say I agree with, but can't agree here. How long do we give him? Do we leave it as long as we left Duffy in charge?

His tactics are horrific, he can't set up a defence, he can't change a game when we go behind and it's clear as day that he would be away the first chance that came along.

He is worse than Williamson.
    Don't disagree with much if any of that and I think everyone accepts we simply must start winning more football matches. A win on Sunday is needed....

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    If this is true or he had a family emergency to attend to then that is fine by me.

I'd like to know which league this match was played in, though, since all top leagues in Europe had no matches on at the weekend due to the international break.

However, if he was on club business then I have no problem with his absence yesterday.
    I think it mentioned him covering U21 matches. Personally dont have an issue with him taking a break and not being at the testimonial if it allows him to watch a couple of matches, catch up with his kids and have a few relaxing days off meaning he comes back suitably refreshed fo the tough job ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    CC is away scouting for players at under 21 level it is reported in the Edinburgh Evening News and supporters through intrigue look at what possible fixture he could have attended...

And you can't believe a supporter would go to such lengths. Oh well there is Greggs. Defunct presumably...

And more so you construct a post to say so. I'm wasting my time pointing this out to you but perhaps you should spend less time rubbishing others opinions and indeed implying that you are a superior supporter than others.
    The thing is, smurf, there was no real opinion there to be rubbished. It's a baseless accusation of lying, non-commitment etc etc.

I'm not sure where you saw the implication that I am a superior supporter than others either. I honestly can't believe that folk would start checking up on a story to try and prove it wrong (let's be honest, folk weren't checking to prove it right) - nothing more, nothing less.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger but I was speaking to a journalist yesterday who spends the majority of his working life dealing with Edinburgh football and he's fairly certain (noises from the club and various other sources) that Calderwood is finished at ER.
    Mixed emotions here.

I'm really rather sad that the prospect of us losing another manager excites me, but I'm afraid that it does.

The thing is, smurf, there was no real opinion there to be rubbished. It's a baseless accusation of lying, non-commitment etc etc.

I'm not sure where you saw the implication that I am a superior supporter than others either. I honestly can't believe that folk would start checking up on a story to try and prove it wrong (let's be honest, folk weren't checking to prove it right) - nothing more, nothing less.
    Do you really think that i thought that when i checked the UEFA site that there were no Under 21 fixtures and i was just looking for the evidence of the 'lies'?

So what was my point in looking at the fixtures? Couldn't possibly be curiosity to see what fixture it might have been? Oh and the interesting thing was that if it was a fixture on Saturday he was attending then there was only one... Result!

People form opinions. I have mine. You will have yours. I don't believe CC is commited to our club. Not what i want to believe but i can't pretend i feel otherwise. You obviously believe he is commited. Good for you.

But hey drop the nonsense that that somehow makes you a better supporter by suggesting others with opinions formed by a catalogue of incidents early summer are somehow running down the club.

Why don't you go and ask any respected journalist in Scotland the question.

Despite my lack of belief that he wants to be at ER and indeed whether he's actually up to the job i've not called for him to go or to be sacked.

I know another change in Manager is the last thing we need...

But sorry to have this opinion (because in your eyes i will obviously be undermining the club by having it..) but i think we may just be facing that scenario sooner rather than later.

Testimonial Due
    As usual, you've completely missed the point and misread any meaning in my post.

I had no problem with the testimonial. My issue was the lack of transparency over the charity donation or otherwise. If the repeated questions about the amount going to charity had been answered rather than completely ignored time and time again, I would have probably been there myself.

The game was meaningless. Even if I had attended, I would have still considered the game to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Whether you like that or not doesn't matter two hoots to me but pointing that out to justify why Calderwood didn't attend isn't an attempt 'to have a further go'.

As for the 'disrespectful' to the fans that attended and Murray, get over yourself.
    No you get over yourself. I was not overly interested in what meaningless point you were trying to make, I was commenting on your ridiculous, try to be sly, belittling of the occasion.

I did not pay to go and watch a meaningless game, I went to watch a testimonial for a Hibs player, one of only a handful that have ever been given out. That in itself makes it anything but meaningless. Some of the best players for our club came along for the day, a reflection that they felt it was anything other than meaningless, as did two players that have won most things in football from the ELP to the champions league.

With regards to your constant questioning, who cares how much is going to charity. it was no doubt another excuse as to why you did not go to a Hibs game - who do you think you are that you justify a response, it would only to have been to fulfill the nosiness you have. It was stated that funds were being donated, that is good enough for me. The reality is if they had come out and said 50% people would have stated that was not enough, therefore pointless. Fact of the matter is a charity has benefited, not from you because you were worried about percentages, but all those that attended the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    No you get over yourself. I was not overly interested in what meaningless point you were trying to make, I was commenting on your ridiculous, try to be sly, belittling of the occasion.

I did not pay to go and watch a meaningless game, I went to watch a testimonial for a Hibs player, one of only a handful that have ever been given out. That in itself makes it anything but meaningless. Some of the best players for our club came along for the day, a reflection that they felt it was anything other than meaningless, as did two players that have won most things in football from the ELP to the champions league.

With regards to your constant questioning, who cares how much is going to charity. it was no doubt another excuse as to why you did not go to a Hibs game - who do you think you are that you justify a response, it would only to have been to fulfill the nosiness you have. It was stated that funds were being donated, that is good enough for me. The reality is if they had come out and said 50% people would have stated that was not enough, therefore pointless. Fact of the matter is a charity has benefited, not from you because you were worried about percentages, but all those that attended the game.
    I did. I was far from the only one either.

I have a ST incidentally so the pish about 'another excuse not to attend a Hibs game' is just that - pish.

If you're not interested in whatever meaningless point I am trying to make, **** off and stop replying to my posts.

Testimonial Due
    I did. I was far from the only one either.

I have a ST incidentally so the pish about 'another excuse not to attend a Hibs game' is just that - pish.

If you're not interested in whatever meaningless point I am trying to make, **** off and stop replying to my posts.
    Your requirement to know such a thing was nothing more than you being nosey. In any event you decided not to give anything to the selected charity as a result of not knowing how much they were getting - the old say half of something is better than 100% of nothing does not seem to have struck home with you.

Re the last bit I made a comment on your post and the content of it - that was my point - do you understand?...in fact dont answer this chat is making me cringe.

You ever been in a similar situation in your career ?
    Some years ago I was asked to open up a new depot in the Midlands for an " unspecified time " (minimum 12 months) .
    Our children were in primary school and we chose not to move , with me travelling home every second weekend .
    No one in the depot/head office criticised me/took issue with me for choosing to do that - I was simply judged on my results
    Likewise I will try and judge CC on his results . Seems fair to me
    Where he chooses to live or his personal life surely has nothing to with anyone but him and his family .

If you think about it most if not all the last six Hibs managers lived locally - didn't make them better managers did it ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    You ever been in a similar situation in your career ?
    Some years ago I was asked to open up a new depot in the Midlands for an " unspecified time " (minimum 12 months) .
    Our children were in primary school and we chose not to move , with me travelling home every second weekend .
    No one in the depot/head office criticised me/took issue with me for choosing to do that - I was simply judged on my results
    Likewise I will try and judge CC on his results . Seems fair to me
    Where he chooses to live or his personal life surely has nothing to with anyone but him and his family .

If you think about it most if not all the last six Hibs managers lived locally - didn't make them better managers did it ?
    Is that on results already in or from now on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    Is that on results already in or from now on?

Now that is the $64,000 question I am , " as we speak", trying to answer
    Maybe in a couple of weeks we might all have the answer - one way or another