hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's fair to assume that Collins would do that, we got a million for him and that's that for me.

I'm sure the people that didn't go (not me I might add) would be equally bemused if Collins or Latapy got a testimonial. They stick to the traditionalist view that you need 10 years straight to deserve it. That's their argument and they are entitled to it.
    In fairness we probably all would if it came down to it.

I agree re the testimonials but there seemed to be a lot of comments that Murray went to Rangers and that was the main reason some people didn't go.

2. Log in to remove the advert

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by 325EasterRoad View Post
    It was a great day, enjoyed by every Hibby there. A real Hibs Family day in all senses of the world

We really need to remember this is only an internet messageboard for folk who prefer a conversation with a keyboard.
    The views on here do not now and never will represent the ordinary Hibs Supporter
    Awesome ! Went with all the family , had a great day caught up with all the ex players got viera and pires to sign the little 1ns programme , and all the rest for a small fee !!!!!

It was an afternoon where you could see players from the past who everyone enjoyed watching, it was a nice afternoon and, best of all, you knew beforehand that no matter what happened, Hibs couldn't lose.

It was the most enjoyable afternoon I've had at Easter Road for about two years.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    It was an afternoon where you could see players from the past who everyone enjoyed watching, it was a nice afternoon and, best of all, you knew beforehand that no matter what happened, Hibs couldn't lose.

It was the most enjoyable afternoon I've had at Easter Road for about two years.
    This
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    I agree it was a good day but while there are those that slate Murray for leaving to go to the OF yet there are threads here extolling the virtues of Collins and Latapy who did the same.
    Collins was sold for a good price when the club badly needed it, he also signed an extension when he could have moved on earlier.

Latapy was value for money at ER, no question. However there is a bit of me that will never forgive him for the timing of his exit, I still think he might just have changed the Cup Final result.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Collins was sold for a good price when the club badly needed it, he also signed an extension when he could have moved on earlier.

Latapy was value for money at ER, no question. However there is a bit of me that will never forgive him for the timing of his exit, I still think he might just have changed the Cup Final result.

McLeish kicked him out. Latapy had no choice in the matter.

I have no issue with this Scoop and he brought in revenue at a time when "much needed" is a bit of an understatement. But dont forget that this was 1990 and we were still five years away from the Bosman ruling. Things were very different regarding contracts with a lot of power still with the clubs.

The man is Celtic to the core, his whole family is, and when the opportunity arose, in 1996 one year after the Bosman ruling, to move for free to Monaco he took it. Wee Fergus even tried to argue that Bosman didnt apply as Monaco was a sovereign state and not a member of the EU. I am not knocking him as I said we would probably all do it.

Regarding Latapy you have to ask why McLeish did what he did at the time he did it. With hindsight the decision is no easier to explain.

The overall point I was trying to get across was that there appear to be a lot of comments and bad feeling towards Nid because he went to Rangers, there are those that don't feel testimonials should be played but that's a different matter, but there appears to no such resentment towards others who have gone west, or elsewhere.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    For what it's worth I took the boys along today and for those of you didn't attend you missed some great stuff.

I wouldn't judge anybody who didn't go today as I wouldn't for any other but I thoroughly enjoyed myself, Brewster, Collins & Latapy were superb.

Viera was just oozing class and GOC was excellent.

Also, fair play to Yogi & JC coming back after things turned sour for them both and I really hope Ian Murray enjoyed himself today, although your penalty miss was honking

A wee bit break from the norm and quite encouraged by one or two players, some of the youngsters in particular.

Finally guys like Boozy, Kano, McManus, Lennon, Jackson etc were having a grand time of it and it felt today we're still a popular club for may former players.

Didn't see CC to be fair, and let's hope he was here because that's the kind of PR stuff he needs to be working on in my opinion.

Have a good night Ian and well done to you and all your family.

Was gonna post but think you have hit the nail on the head.

I had a great day explaining who some of the players were to the wee man and he got his picture taken with Viera. It looked like JC should still be playing hope someone caught his goal on camera think could be goal of the season.

And where was CC?? answers on a postcard....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JonnyLifeForce
    Why are so many people upset at a testimonial!?! Christ think with the state of affairs we would be looking for a party and a reason to celebrate even on a minor matter. And ten years is ten years I know a few players have been given with broken service including that docile defender at the PBS couple of years back.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    For those that didn't attend you missed a cracking game with some top players on show.

To see the likes of JC, Latapy, Brewster and Fletcher wearing the green was worth it alone.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    For those that didn't attend you missed a cracking game with some top players on show.

To see the likes of JC, Latapy, Brewster and Fletcher wearing the green was worth it alone.

We really need to remember this is only an internet messageboard for folk who prefer a conversation with a keyboard.
    If folk want a conversation about hibs with a keyboard they can do it safe in the privacy of their own home without having to tell anyone about it.

The views on here do not now and never will represent the ordinary Hibs Supporter
    Complete and utter drivel

It was a great day, enjoyed by every Hibby there. A real Hibs Family day in all senses of the world

Strange thing to say in a post, on a messageboard?

Folk on here are not 'ordinary' Hibs fans? WTF are they then?

Bizarre stuff.

It's sad that it's that way, but in life all actions have consequences and jumping ship on a Bosman to the Huns is not in the Hibernian DNA, therefore I doubt IM is surprised that his 'legendary' status is relegated to Gary MacKayesque levels.

This match was probably the best value for money there's been at Easter Road for about two years.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

What a loady pish.
    Even the first couple of sentences imply that anyone who didnt go to the game yesterday isnt a Hibby. Bizarre is the correct term.

For the record I have no problem with Ian Murray or any other player who runs their contract down and goes to the Old Firm or anywhere for that matter. I have no problem with Ian Murray now. I hope he enjoyed his day. I have a problem with his testamonial that is all.

Left by mutual consent!

Maybe that's just as well with the amount of pish you post

By the way what type of Hibs supporter other than ordinary do you think post on here (and remember that'll include yersel)?

The majority of Hibs supporters who post on here that I ken are season ticket holders and regular attenders at Easter Road. So what if some of them disagreed with this testimonial game.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 05-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar

Bit contradiction in terms there coming from a keyboard conversationalist who has over 4500 posts.

So are you an ordinary or an extraordinary Hibs fan.

I'm late to this particular party but I find it ironic that someone who represents a relatively tiny group of supporters (ie the singing section / 12th Man) would dismiss a group of supporters at least 20 times larger and one that they contribute to, on average, about three times a day anyway.

A supporter trying to grow their group dismisses some of the folk that he wants to join his group? Genius.

Testimonial Due
    Really enjoyed yesterday was great fun and fantastic to see some of the old boys, Collins, Latapy and Brewster are still looking good and JC's strike in the second half was deserving of his MOM award. Viera and Pires running around in the green and white was a great sight, I only wish they had stayed up for the aberdeen game! Fingers crossed Scott and Rod had a word with him before he left and he is currently booking tickets for tevez heading up the road on loan!

Regards the OP, I would not be as strong as ashamed, I dont think we need yesterday to show us that we are not a well supported club, the league games do enough of that.

Well done Murray a fantastic day, a big thank you to all the players who made the effort to come back up the road and show support and entertain the fans for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'm late to this particular party but I find it ironic that someone who represents a relatively tiny group of supporters (ie the singing section / 12th Man) would dismiss a group of supporters at least 20 times larger and one that they contribute to, on average, about three times a day anyway.

A supporter trying to grow their group dismisses some of the folk that he wants to join his group? Genius.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest maybe 325 has used a very poor choice of words to make two points.

Firstly that the testimonial was a great day out; which of course it was.

Secondly (and this is just my interpretation), that those who contribute to .net are not representative of the whole Hibs support; which I am also inclined to agree with.

Whilst .net may have a large visitor base, active contributors are but a small %age of the Hibs support, so it's rarely possible to guage the feeling of the whole support by a few repetitive and sometimes dis-jointed views expressed on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest maybe 325 has used a very poor choice of words to make two points.

Secondly (and this is just my interpretation), that those who contribute to .net are not representative of the whole Hibs support; which I am also inclined to agree with.

Whilst .net may have a large visitor base, active contributors are but a small %age of the Hibs support, so it's rarely possible to guage the feeling of the whole support by a few repetitive and sometimes dis-jointed views expressed on here.
    Well said. A point i tried to make in the summer where some said the anti CC feeling was whipped up by some on here. The Hibbys i am friends with tend not to post on messageboards (they tell me that they have a 'life' - what's that?) and rest assured they are much more P'd off with our club and Manager than most on here....

Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post
    McLeish kicked him out. Latapy had no choice in the matter.
    Nah, no accepting that jr.

If Latapy hadn't went on the sauce and breaking club rules by doing so then McLeish would not have had the issue to deal with.

That's like blaming the sentencing judge for Fred West's crimes.
    Last edited by scoopyboy; 05-09-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    and by going on the piss with his mates he weakened us for the SCF two/three weeks later

[QUOTE=The Falcon;2907776]I have no issue with this Scoop and he brought in revenue at a time when "much needed" is a bit of an understatement. But dont forget that this was 1990 and we were still five years away from the Bosman ruling. Things were very different regarding contracts with a lot of power still with the clubs.

The man is Celtic to the core, his whole family is, and when the opportunity arose, in 1996 one year after the Bosman ruling, to move for free to Monaco he took it. Wee Fergus even tried to argue that Bosman didnt apply as Monaco was a sovereign state and not a member of the EU. I am not knocking him as I said we would probably all do it.

Regarding Latapy you have to ask why McLeish did what he did at the time he did it. With hindsight the decision is no easier to explain.

The overall point I was trying to get across was that there appear to be a lot of comments and bad feeling towards Nid because he went to Rangers, there are those that don't feel testimonials should be played but that's a different matter, but there appears to no such resentment towards others who have gone west, or elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your overall point.

What I had to sort out in my own mind was did Ian Murray deserve a testimonial. In the end I went and enjoyed myself so was quite happy but I still felt I had to justify it to myself. I have no gripe with Ian Murray as a Hibs player whatsoever but this doesn't mean he deserved a testimonial.

I started work at my present company in 1976 but left in 1980. I returned in 1991. If I was to be made redundant I would only get payment from 1991 because it is broken service. Ian Murray's service is also broken and that is what put the doubt in my mind.

I know others who rate Ian Murray highly as a player who didn't go, not because they didn't admire him but they felt he didn't deserve it.

Coaching Staff
    Nah, no accepting that jr.

If Latapy hadn't went on the sauce and breaking club rules by doing so then McLeish would have hadn't the issue to deal with.

That's like blaming the sentencing judge for Fred West's crimes.
    Totally agree scoopy........Latapy would have made a huge difference on cup final day, so it's annoying what he did.

As an aside he should also have been fined for driving a Volkswagon Beetle with a flower in it

I would have liked to have seen the legends game but I didn't feel that Murray deserved his testimonial so I didn't go.

I have nothing against Ian Murray, I had no issue with him running down his deal and leaving and didn't care that it was Rangers but the way he left meant I had a real problem with him coming back.

That's very well put and covers how I feel too. The group of posters who make up about 50% of contributions on here are but a small percentage of the overall support. While no one doubts the super posters Passion for the club, there is something in the suggestion that the intensity of feeling on this forum is not the across the board view of the support at large.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    That's very well put and covers how I feel too. The group of posters who make up about 50% of contributions on here are but a small percentage of the overall support. While no one doubts the super posters Passion for the club, there is something in the suggestion that the intensity of feeling on this forum is not the across the board view of the support at large.

The rest in their words 'have a life!'. I hear opinions on here that I rarely hear on the terracing

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you folks and apologies to anyone who was upset my by comments - my words were clumsy.

Hibby D and Keep The Faith have said in a much more articulate manner what I was feeling. I know ten Hibs Season Ticket holders in the Perth area. 2 (Me and Stevie C) post on here, both for separate reasons. The others are hacked off about results but aren't prone to all the hand-wringing, greetin and wailin that we witness on here. I'm sure the supporters that were not there on Sunday missed a great day out and a few will be kicking themselves if they could have gone and didn't. A few deliberately didn't go - fair dos. But everybody that regards themselves a Hibs Supporter has the right to support the team in any way they choose.

I'm sure the vast majority of posters on Hibs.Net don't believe that the cross-section of views on here are reresentative of our wider support. Messageboards attract the more opinionated person who likes spending time on the internet (including me) - not the average supporter at the games. In fact I'm sure there are a few posters who never attend Easter Road at all - and no I'm no talking about our overseas Hibbies.
    Last edited by RIP; 05-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Testimonial Due

Thank you folks and apologies to anyone who was upset my by comments - my words were clumsy.

Hibby D and Keep The Faith have said in a much more articulate manner what I was feeling. I know ten Hibs Season Ticket holders in the Perth area. 2 (Me and Stevie C) post on here, both for separate reasons. The others are hacked off about results but aren't prone to all the hand-wringing, greetin and wailin that we witness on here. I'm sure the supporters that were not there on Sunday missed a great day out and a few will be kicking themselves if they could have gone and didn't. A few deliberately didn't go - fair dos. But everybody that regards themselves a Hibs Supporter has the right to support the team in any way they choose.

I'm sure the vast majority of posters on Hibs.Net don't believe that the cross-section of views on here are reresentative of our wider support. Messageboards attract the more opinionated person who likes spending time on the internet (including me) I - not the average supporter at the games. In fact I'm sure there are a few posters who never attend Easter Road at all - and no I'm no talking about our overseas Hibbies.
    I would agree with that, even if you gave them a ticket and offered to drive them there and back. The only bit i dont agree with is "a few"!!