hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If the guys organising the testimonial had bothered to answer the repeated questions about the contribution to charity, there would gave been, at least, four more supporters attending. I can't imagine that we were the only ones who didn't go as a result of the stonewalling that went on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by moff1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reflective of how the fans feel towards the club right now IMO. The OP mentioned it's a nice, sunny day so I actually went out on a pleasant cycle, took in the last days of summer and felt good for it afterwards. Stark contrast to attending Hibs games of any sort these days.Why would I pay £15 to watch more drivel down ER, testimonial or no?

As others have rightly pointed out, testimonials are dated considering what footballers earn these days.

I think the only testimonial that I have been to was Gordon Hunter's against Man U - the game Tortolano got sent off for a tackle on Strachan. The difference between then and now was that (I think) we were top of the league and we were playing a good team. It would be interesting to see what players played for Man U that day to see how many of them were their stars of the future!

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Sun shining. Pitch full of legends and hardly any one here for our captain. I'm ashamed to be a hibby today.
    Don't feel the need to be ashamed on my behalf.

I have nothing against Ian Murray its just that I disagree with testimonials. Why should someone who has earned a fair few bob from the game be rewarded with even more money.

He is nearing his sell by date as a footballer so he now has to do what the rest of us have to do, go out and work for a living instead of pitching up at East Mains for a couple of hours per day.

I worked for the same company for 30 years and nobody held a testimonial for me.

Infact I have been attending ER for over 45 years and the old guy I go with has been going for 60 years. Anybody fancy forming a committee to arrange some events for us to try and recoup some of the money we have donated to Hibs over the years.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I'm sorry testimonials are not for people that have earned a decent wedge from the game and will probably not want for a job when his career finishes.
    30 years as a spark and i'm still waiting for my testimonial.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

First Team Breakthrough machibby's Avatar
    Testimonials in my mind are from another era where players weren't on great money and a way of fans to show thanks for loyalty. I've no doubt Ian has done very well from the game and especially when he chose money with rangers over loyalty. Fair enough though he went there and got more money, but that was the day he forfeited the right for a testimonial. Saying all that if it hadn't been £15 might have gone and pretty sure not all the proceeds are going to charity.

It would appear the Hibby's have voted with their feet on this one, by not going.

I enjoyed the game and great to see players like Collins, Latapy and Fletcher again. Your Latapys may not have the pace anymore but the skill is still evident. Good luck to Ian as well.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The testimonial served it's purpose - enabled folks to bleat about hibs when there would have been a free weekend otherwise ;)
    Let's pick over the bones on this for a few days more tho ;)

For what it's worth I took the boys along today and for those of you didn't attend you missed some great stuff.

I wouldn't judge anybody who didn't go today as I wouldn't for any other but I thoroughly enjoyed myself, Brewster, Collins & Latapy were superb.

Viera was just oozing class and GOC was excellent.

Also, fair play to Yogi & JC coming back after things turned sour for them both and I really hope Ian Murray enjoyed himself today, although your penalty miss was honking

A wee bit break from the norm and quite encouraged by one or two players, some of the youngsters in particular.

Finally guys like Boozy, Kano, McManus, Lennon, Jackson etc were having a grand time of it and it felt today we're still a popular club for may former players.

Didn't see CC to be fair, and let's hope he was here because that's the kind of PR stuff he needs to be working on in my opinion.

Have a good night Ian and well done to you and all your family.

Really enjoyed it this afternoon, seeing lots of the former legends & heroes come back was great, Steven Fletcher really is a magnificent player (liked Grant Stotts wee joke about getting him in the Scotland squad ), John Collins and Russell still have the skills - JC is fit enough to still play now and thoroughly deserved his MOM award, oh and what a goal

Great to see Vierra & Pires in the green as well, hope Ian enjoyed his day.
    Last edited by Westie1875; 04-09-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    For what it's worth I took the boys along today and for those of you didn't attend you missed some great stuff.

I wouldn't judge anybody who didn't go today as I wouldn't for any other but I thoroughly enjoyed myself, Brewster, Collins & Latapy were superb.

Also, fair play to Yogi & JC coming back after things turned sour for them both and I really hope Ian Murray enjoyed himself today, although your penalty miss was honking

A wee bit break from the norm and quite encouraged by one or two players, some of the youngsters in particular.

Finally guys like Boozy, Kano, McManus, Lennon, Jackson etc were having a grand time of it and it felt today we're still a popular club for may former players.

Didn't see CC to be fair, and let's hope he was here because that's the kind of PR stuff he needs to be working on in my opinion.

felt exactly the same, sitting in the sunshine watching some club legends and a few of our youngsters,some great goals going in and Collins playing as if he could still get a game for usit was difficult to judge from the middle of the east as it looked pretty full but i thought there was maybe 4/5000 there.people in the west would probably have a better idea of how full the east was.good way to spend a sunday afternoon imo

Sun shining. Pitch full of legends and hardly any one here for our captain. I'm ashamed to be a hibby today.
    Oh dear not another " I'm a better supporter than you because ................ " poster
    The reason why many people including myself sis not attend is down to our OPINIONS on testimonials in general.
    You went by choice so why not just leave it a that

Just about sums it up for me.

It was a great afternoon's entertainment with plenty laughs, loads of goals, and the sun shone.

Argue the rights and wrongs of testimonials all you want, I went along to celebrate a good Hibby, who's (prematurely) coming to the end of his career. Had he not been, I'm pretty confident he would have been with us for a few years yet.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Highlights for me

JCs peformance - the boy is class fantastic strike
    Fletch - great to see him back!
    The young lads - showed some signs for encouragement
    GOC - well miss him when he goes looking really sharp hungry and fit
    Jimmy Scott - pity if CC didn't witness his contribution well taken brace
    Brewster - still in shape and a handful let him go too soon
    Latas some nice touches
    Jacko still nice touches and a handful
    Lovell nice strike

The technique of the legends still there for all to see.

The look on boozys face showed what it means to some that put on the jersey - permasmile for about 5 mins!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    Most likely the last chance to see guys like Latapy, Collins, Wright, O'Neil, Boozy and Flecther playing at Easter Road. No danger I was passing that up, and I wasn't disapppointed.

I'd rather pay 7 pounds to watch them than the current Hibs team every day of the week, regardless of whether the money went to a humble Hibs fan who has put his body on the line for the cause, and suffered because of it.

Hibs legends

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    regardless of whether the money went to a humble Hibs fan who has put his body on the line for the cause, and suffered because of it.
    F******g brilliant you couldn't make it up.

I know a few army guys who suffered life changing injuries serving in Afghanistan who put their bodies on the line. Young guys at the peak of their lives losing limbs etc. Dont even try to equate the sacrifice these guys made to some well paid footballer who can go on and lead a healthy normal life.

I was always intent on giving this game a miss, but since my lad had a game in East Lothian this morning, it fell nicely to take him to ER on the way back.

Yes, £15 might have been a bit steep, but I loved watching Latapy, Jackson, Brewster, Collins et al.

JC could easily still be playing now - and his goal alone was worth the entry fee. If any of the Hibs youngsters picked up some good habits from watching the likes of Collins make the game look easy, then all the better.

I really enjoyed the football, and I hope IM enjoys the rest of his day.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish View Post

I know a few army guys who suffered life changing injuries serving in Afghanistan who put their bodies on the line. Young guys at the peak of their lives losing limbs etc. Dont even try to equate the sacrifice these guys made to some well paid footballer who can go on and lead a healthy normal life.
    Exactly, hence why I said REGARDLESS of Ian Murray. The money was immaterial compared to seeing guys like Latapy, Collins and Fletcher one more time. It's the happiest I've felt at Easter Road in years.

The jokes on people like my Dad who've paid over the odds to see poor players like Rankin, Hogg and Nish over the past few years, yet miss the opportunity to see people worthy of the shirt one last time for half the usual price

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine1875 View Post

I think the only testimonial that I have been to was Gordon Hunter's against Man U - the game Tortolano got sent off for a tackle on Strachan. The difference between then and now was that (I think) we were top of the league and we were playing a good team. It would be interesting to see what players played for Man U that day to see how many of them were their stars of the future!
    It was Gordon Rae's against Man Utd. Hunter's was against Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    Im gutted I aint there. Got drunk last night and slept in.

For the people who dont think he needs thr money, pretty sure he's giving it to charity.

Did it not go to Pires & Viera .

put his body on the line for the cause, and suffered because of it
    Whoosh !!! Your missing the point completely, IM never put his body on the line. FFS he plays football a thing that thousands of people in Scotland do for pleasure every week.

Why such venom? Shamo wasn't "equating" Murray to soldiers who have served in the Afghan war. You're the one doing the comparing

Why Murray didn't seem the least bit embarrassing when he swanned off up the M8.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    Just about sums it up for me.

It was a great afternoon's entertainment with plenty laughs, loads of goals, and the sun shone.

Argue the rights and wrongs of testimonials all you want, I went along to celebrate a good Hibby, who's (prematurely) coming to the end of his career. Had he not been, I'm pretty confident he would have been with us for a few years yet.
    I swithered about going but I'm glad I did, I enjoyed it.

The thing that made me swither was that I wasn't convinced he was entitled to one.

Stanton, Duncan, McNamara, Rae, Sneddon and Hunter all IMO were entitled to one as their service was unbroken.

Murray left us under freedom of contract, we got nothing and he gave us the vickies at Ibrox. At that time he was as unpopular as Kevin Thomson was / is.

However I decided I would support it and I'm glad I did, however I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't go as a matter of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    Why such venom? Shamo wasn't "equating" Murray to soldiers who have served in the Afghan war. You're the one doing the comparing
    No venom here, Shamo said " regardless of whether the money went to a humble Hibs fan who has put his body on the line for the cause, and suffered because of it"

Footballers dont put their bodies on the line, a massive over exaggeration if ever there was one. Murray is a well paid guy who was fortunate enough to be born with a talent. He is coming to the end of his career as a footballer but he will still be able to lead a normal healthy life.

I was merely pointing out that there are people who really put their bodies on the line for a fraction of the wages with the possibility of suffering far more serious injuries than a footballer might get.

Gamer IDs

Whoosh !!! Youre missing the point completely, IM never put his body on the line. FFS he plays football a thing that thousands of people in Scotland do for pleasure every week.
    Yes, thousands of people play football, although few play with the determination he does, a fact noted by guys like Alex McLeish among others. What he lacks in ability he negates by throwing his body into harms way. No one can question that he gives anything less than 100%, and he also plays without fear, both qualities we don't see a lot at Hibs any more. Also both qualities that risk injuries to himself, a fact well known to guys like Benji (first example that comes to my head) who shirks tackles. In the context of football (which this is) he is a brave player. I'm comparing him to other footballers, which is revelant considering many believe he is unworthy AS a footballer to be given the honour of a testimonial.

But again I feel like you're the one missing the point in an effort to try and make me retract anything positive about Ian Murray. I've already stated that I came to see past legends, what Murray has done (or not in your case) was not part of my decision.

Heck, if this had been a Hearts' player's testimonial (Levein maybe) I'd still have gone if the Hibs legends were there.
    Last edited by shamo9; 04-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.

But again I feel like you're the one missing the point in an effort to try and make me retract anything positive about Ian Murray. I've already stated that I came to see past legends, what Murray has done (or not in your case) was not part of my decision.

Heck, if this had been a Hearts' player's testimonial I'd still have gone if the Hibs legends were there.
    I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with IM and wish we had another ten guys with his commitment. I actually like IM and wish him all the best in the future.

As for past legends, is that the same Latapy who went on the peeve before a vital cup game.

I was at the Bolton v Hibs testamonial a few years ago. They laid it out as a family day. Well before the game , they had events set out for the fans. Before the stand they had local radio , fire eaters, wall climbing, etc and the buzz was huge. In the concourse they had lots of other events going, Beat the goalie, the buzz wire test etc. so much so I gave my 3 grandkids ,teenagers, £2 each to get lost and meet us back at our turnstile. Yes they did enjoying the day out. My granddaughters , under 8, enjoined climbing the wall and the fire eaters. Then we had the game £ 5 for the kids and nothing for me (disabled)

A great day out for the family, pity it was spoiled by a drunk. But thats another story.

If the game had been promoted like this, I would have invited my family to join me in the fun but I couldn't see it as fun for my grandkids

Gamer IDs

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with IM and wish we had another ten guys with his commitment. I actually like IM and wish him all the best in the future.

As for past legends, is that the same Latapy who went on the peeve before a vital cup game.
    True that, but I can't help how I feel about Latapy. Like the other players mentioned, he's the type you pay to see, warts and all.

He made a big mistake but that doesn't outweigh all the good he did during his spell here, and it would be flagrant history revision to suggest otherwise.