hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jury Service

jury Service

(Plese move if in the wrong thread)

Morning folks

As the title says.I was wondering if anyone has been ever been selected to appear on a jury for the high court?

Got a letter through the post and i know its only a "chance"to get picked but i see it as a 1 in 2 chance and was sorta hoping if anyone can give me the heads up?

How was the experince? were you nervous?
    Any thoughts welcomed and thanks in advance

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have been called up twice for Jury Duty but it was for the Sheriff court.

There are loads of potential jurors there and your names go in a hat and get drawn out. I got drawn out the first time and was there for a week.

I wasn't nervous but declined when asked if I wanted to be the spokesman who said "Guilty"

Lunch is not too bad and we all went to Greyfriars Bobby at the end and had a few bevvies.

2nd time was a pain in the erchie. Kept getting asked to come back and eventually on the 3rd day we were told we were not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been called up twice for Jury Duty but it was for the Sheriff court.

There are loads of potential jurors there and your names go in a hat and get drawn out. I got drawn out the first time and was there for a week.

I wasn't nervous but declined when asked if I wanted to be the spokesman who said "Guilty"

Lunch is not too bad and we all went to Greyfriars Bobby at the end and had a few bevvies.

2nd time was a pain in the erchie. Kept getting asked to come back and eventually on the 3rd day we were told we were not needed.

Ok thank you for sharing your expereince.
    I ve been called once before but,like you for the sheriff court and didn't get picked but i reckon a second chance witohut getting picked?(a worried face here).

Like you i would not wanna be a the foreman(foreperson?).

Anyhow thank you for your reply

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I was selected to be on the jury at the High Court, we were there one day and then told we were no longer needed.

The lunch was good, not got much else I could say though. Well I could say that after the case had been thrown out I hope the wee prick got what was coming to him....

Blog Entries
    I've been called up twice - second time was kept hanging about all day and then told we weren't needed, so just a boring day basically.

First one was a murder trial and was in terms of content pretty harrowing but as an insight into how these things happen and the system works, I found it interesting and valuable. There was only one person on the jury who was of the "he's guilty and I want home to make ma mans tea" the second she entered the jury room at the end of the trial, but she was firmly put in her place by some of the other - I was just a laddie myself at the time.

The way to approach it is I think to realise that you are part of something important, and that you give the process (and the accused) the same serious consideration that you would hope to get if it was you or your family in the dock for something.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post

Morning folks

As the title says.I was wondering if anyone has been ever been selected to appear on a jury for the high court?

Got a letter through the post and i know its only a "chance"to get picked but i see it as a 1 in 2 chance and was sorta hoping if anyone can give me the heads up?

Was called up fairly recently for a case involving rape and incest.

Got to the court and was told to go into the court room where the clerk took my letter and asked me to take a seat. Once all the potential jurors arrived the clerk read out the name of the accused and the charges against him and informed us on 3 of the counts he would be making a special defence. We were then told if anyone believed they should not sit on the jury for any reason they should go to the clerks officce immediately, about 6 or 7 people did.

Once this was over all those still eligible to sit where brought back into the court, the prosecution and defence came in and then the Judge was brought in and we were informed the court was now in session. The accused was also brought ino the court at this point. The ballot took place, i wasn't picked. The indictments were read again and then the jurors selected where asked to retire to the jury room and re read these and again inform the clerk of the court if they had any reson to believe they shouldn't sit. No one did and about an hour later the Judge thanked those of us not selected and said we were free to go or could remain in the public gallery if we wished.

ok thanx for your indepth experiences twocarpets and prettyboy.As you may realise i'd be your typical nervous jury.It appears in cases that it ll be long periods and alot and i mean alot and well though it does seem intresting to a degree hanging somones life so to speak in your hands(arbit one of fifteen?) sounds scary.
    Again thank you for your detailed feedback

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Was called up fairly recently for a case involving rape and incest.

Got to the court and was told to go into the court room where the clerk took my letter and asked me to take a seat. Once all the potential jurors arrived the clerk read out the name of the accused and the charges against him and informed us on 3 of the counts he would be making a special defence. We were then told if anyone believed they should not sit on the jury for any reason they should go to the clerks officce immediately, about 6 or 7 people did.
    Was that because they wanted home to make their man's lunch? Or some even more valid reason? Would be curious to know what, if you've any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Was that because they wanted home to make their man's lunch? Or some even more valid reason? Would be curious to know what, if you've any idea.
    Prior knowledge of the case or knowing the accused are 2 reasons.

Morning folks

Ive sat on one Jury at the Sherriff, been called another twice for the Sherriff & once for the High court but refused by all ..just sent a letter away for Jury service again (4th time)...hopefully get picked this time ..

If you are selected (number on your citation) then you appear at court at said time & date..once in the court you will be given a number, as will the other potential juror's ..if your number is selected you approach the bar (the non-alcoholic one) & you will be met by prosecutor & defence ..if you get the nod yer in ..you are then shown to your seat in the jury box ..that seat is where you remain all through the trial ..(I was in the front row)..once all jurors are in place the Judge will open the trial ...you then retire to the Juror's room & select a Foreman ..after that its all listening & debating with sometimes a lot of sitting around ...

Good experience though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Prior knowledge of the case or knowing the accused are 2 reasons.
    Ta. It's not that I'd be keen to know how to escape dury duty or anything, but do you have to demonstrate that you know the case or the accused, or do you just have to state it?

Morning folks

I've been called and selected twice. My first time (a murder/self defence/culpable homicide), i'd only just turned 18. We retired for our decision about 5 on the Friday afternoon and were told that if we couldn't come to a decision that night, we'd have to stay in the hotel over the weekend. We unanimously decided he was guilty but nobody would go spokesperson so I (wanting to get out for the weekend) volunteered. I was nervous about announcing it as there were about 30 of his family there but found the whole experience to be a real eye opener and actually ended up quite enjoying the experience in a strange way.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    I've been called and selected twice. My first time (a murder/self defence/culpable homicide), i'd only just turned 18. We retired for our decision about 5 on the Friday afternoon and were told that if we couldn't come to a decision that night, we'd have to stay in the hotel over the weekend. We unanimously decided he was guilty but nobody would go spokesperson so I (wanting to get out for the weekend) volunteered. I was nervous about announcing it as there were about 30 of his family there but found the whole experience to be a real eye opener and actually ended up quite enjoying the experience in a strange way.
    Did you find him guilty just to get home for the weekend or did you really decide he was guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Ive sat on one Jury at the Sherriff, been called another twice for the Sherriff & once for the High court but refused by all ..just sent a letter away for Jury service again (4th time)...hopefully get picked this time ..

If you are selected (number on your citation) then you appear at court at said time & date..once in the court you will be given a number, as will the other potential juror's ..if your number is selected you approach the bar (the non-alcoholic one) & you will be met by prosecutor & defence ..if you get the nod yer in ..you are then shown to your seat in the jury box ..that seat is where you remain all through the trial ..(I was in the front row)..once all jurors are in place the Judge will open the trial ...you then retire to the Juror's room & select a Foreman ..after that its all listening & debating with sometimes a lot of sitting around ...

Good experience though ...

Is that how it works K? I've always thought names were selected randomly from the Electoral Register? Maybe that's why I've never been called as I've not written and asked
    This is how it feels

Ta. It's not that I'd be keen to know how to escape dury duty or anything, but do you have to demonstrate that you know the case or the accused, or do you just have to state it?
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...e_scotland.htm

Not sure how much detail you have to give.

Morning folks

I got a letter over a year ago for jury service. I turned up on the day for 10am and after about 2 hours I was on my way home as fortunately I wasn't selected. I think there was about 50-60 people who also turned up for jury service so if there are 12 people who sit on the jury then it's more like a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 chance of you being selected. I was pleased that I didn't get selected as I don't think I would have the patience to sit on a jury for a few hours each day for 3 or 4 days. The case was an assault (knife) against a policeman. I had already decided after about 10 seconds of seeing the defendant that he was guilty so I would be hopeless on a jury. He looked like a thug so no point wasting days on end listening to evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Is that how it works K? I've always thought names were selected randomly from the Electoral Register? Maybe that's why I've never been called as I've not written and asked
    Naw ..no quite J .. :) ....your name is taken from the electoral register & if selected for service you are exempt for 5 years. However if you tick a box you can waiver the exemption which means you can be called up again anytime within the 5 year period. I done that each time although it has been at least 5 years from my last call up to recieving another call up last week..

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Some cases have an age limit.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla...e_scotland.htm

Not sure how much detail you have to give.
    Ta.

Ok thank you again for your input.Im unsure if i'd be "happy "to do jury service if given a choice(witch i don't).

iwasthere1972 if i may ask how can you judge somone who looks like a thug? I hope you dont mind my saying but "if "you were picked would it matter if all the evidence pointed to the guy being innocent?

Though i do agreee with you bout the patience as i guess im more the sorta person who sorta wants it all done and over with witihn an hour or two, laughs.

anyhow thank you all again for your valuable input and experince's

how can you judge somone who looks like a thug?
    Last time I was on a jury one of my fellow jurors seemed to base her assessment of guilt on the fact that the accused's eyes were too close together. Never occurred to me at the time that she might have someone's tea to make, but I'll know better next time since reading this thread.

Last time I was on a jury one of my fellow jurors seemed to base her assessment of guilt on the fact that the accused's eyes were too close together. Never occurred to me at the time that she might have someone's tea to make, but I'll know better next time since reading this thread.

Ah.Its just i thought that anyone on trail is innocent until proven guilty.Or have i missed something after that?

in all seriousiness i thought it was the prosacaution(sp) had to prove beyond doubt that the person is guilty,If you, as a jury think the person is maybe guilty then there not, you gotta sorta think the person is 100% guilty or there innocent.

Ah.Its just i thought that anyone on trail is innocent until proven guilty.Or have i missed something after that?

in all seriousiness i thought it was the prosacaution(sp) had to prove beyond doubt that the person is guilty,If you, as a jury think the person is maybe guilty then there not, you gotta sorta think the person is 100% guilty or there innocent.
    Guilt has to be proved beyond all reasonable doubt is what the law states. Never been on a jury but have heard that an accuseds look or the way they conduct themselves is often enough to sway the jury towards a verdict.

Guilt has to be proved beyond all reasonable doubt is what the law states. Never been on a jury but have heard that an accuseds look or the way they conduct themselves is often enough to sway the jury towards a verdict.

ye fair point and i sorta understand the way some acts/reacts can have an effect.

ye fair point and i sorta understand the way some acts/reacts can have an effect.
    Its an experience mate, enjoy the experience ...

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666

I've not been on the jury at the high court, just the sherriff court. The case I was involved in, the accused was a right wee ******, guilty as sin but because the witnesses were all telling different stories about what happened (he had shot at a shopkeeper outside his shop) there was reasonable doubt and the verdict was not proven. He had a lengthy criminal record which we found out afterwards as I think he was done for breach of the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    I've not been on the jury at the high court, just the sherriff court. The case I was involved in, the accused was a right wee ******, guilty as sin but because the witnesses were all telling different stories about what happened (he had shot at a shopkeeper outside his shop) there was reasonable doubt and the verdict was not proven. He had a lengthy criminal record which we found out afterwards as I think he was done for breach of the peace.

Nods that sounds like a case and a bit where i think the guy could have shot at the shopkepper but due to what you have stated with regards the different stories and what not wht can you do?
    i tihnk thats sorta have my fear, making the wrong decision(though im only one person on the jury,IF i get picked, got a feeling i will).

happyhibbie.Ye i think If i get picked it will be an experince, though a nervous one at it.I've seen some of the tv programmes such as judge john deed and the whole court thing LOOKS intresting in a sense.
    Again thank you all for your input and sharing your experince's

Ok thank you again for your input.Im unsure if i'd be "happy "to do jury service if given a choice(witch i don't).

iwasthere1972 if i may ask how can you judge somone who looks like a thug? I hope you dont mind my saying but "if "you were picked would it matter if all the evidence pointed to the guy being innocent?

Though i do agreee with you bout the patience as i guess im more the sorta person who sorta wants it all done and over with witihn an hour or two, laughs.

anyhow thank you all again for your valuable input and experince's
    It was the HMFC tattoo on his left arm that decided it for me. Oh and he was an ugly git m'lord.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Got called up and selected in the High Court a few years back, was an interesting week to see the workings of it all, Donald Findlay was the guys defense lawyer so straight away I was thinking innocent or not you are going down

But must say after a week of watching him in action (and getting the case put off for a couple of days in the middle so he could attend a Huns Champions League game away WTF) that if I was ever in serious trouble, dirty Hun or not Id have him defending me, he could make you think yourself that you hadnt done anything wrong

My pal got called up the same week, her case was better though, she got that mental Vampire boy that ate someones brain
    Last edited by Mon Dieu4; 16-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Got called up and selected in the High Court a few years back, was an interesting week to see the workings of it all, Donald Findlay was the guys defense lawyer so straight away I was thinking innocent or not you are going down But must say after a week of watching him in action (and getting the case put off for a couple of days in the middle so he could attend a Huns Champions League game away WTF) that if I was ever in serious trouble, dirty Hun or not Id have him defending me, he could make you think yourself that you hadnt done anything wrong My pal got called up the same week, her case was better though, she got that mental Vampire boy that ate someones brain
    They'll take anyone on juries these days eh? Did you tell 'em about the joyriding a JCB incident beforehand? :-)

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Guy I know of was told to grow his hair to make him seem less of a thigh before a assault case because of this.