hibs.net Messageboard

Palma Mallorca - opinions, past experiences etc?

Myself and her indoors are planning on going for a long weekend style break in the sun at some point in September, and was looking at Mallorca as a possible destination as neither of us have been before and it's relatively easy to get to from the UK.

I was just wondering, it seems that Palma old town itself doesn't have a beach itself, but there are plenty nearby. Does anyone know how easy/affordable it is to get from Palma old town to decent beaches without a car?

General experiences/recommendations on restaurants/accomodation in Palma old town itself would be appreciated as well.

Cheers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nearly 25 years since I was there but old Palma was lovely, and I will go back some day.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Get the bus from the centre of town to Can Pastilla. It's right at the beginning of El Arenal and not that busy in comparison and not completely occupied by the storm troopers. It'll cost you about 2 Euros each way and takes about 15mins to get there. Otherwise take a taxi, might cost you about 20 Euro max.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    There's also an excellent Spanish restaurant in the small residential area west of the harbour. You'll know you've got the right one when they pretend not to be able to speak English at the door. Food is excellent and it's mainly Spanish families that eat there.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Not too far from Magaluf...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Ca'n Pastilla is quiet,(apart from a plane every 60 seconds, but you get used to them) couple of nice beaches though, palma airport is only approx a mile from Ca'n Pastilla, and only approx 20 min walk to Arenal(which i thought was a dive in comparison) if you just want a nice peaceful few days then Ca'n Pastilla is fine, if you want the noise go to Arenal, palma itself is nice, do a tour of palma cathedral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...2007_08_15.jpg (try avoid the lookie-lookie's)

Great town, easy on the eye, friendly locals, great restaurants and bars. You'll have a ball.