hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fringe 2011

Fringe 2011

Didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one. What have you seen so far? Anything good?

I saw Dave Gorman's show on Friday night. It's excellent and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Milton Jones, either this year or in the past? I have tickets to the Tattoo on Tuesday and I am thinking about seeing his show before it. I'm only familiar with him from Mock the Week and am wondering if a hour long show of his one liners works.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't see a thread so I figured I'd start one. What have you seen so far? Anything good?

I saw Dave Gorman's show on Friday night. It's excellent and I highly recommend it.

Has anyone seen Milton Jones, either this year or in the past? I have tickets to the Tattoo on Tuesday and I am thinking about seeing his show before it. I'm only familiar with him from Mock the Week and am wondering if a hour long show of his one liners works.
    Saw the AAA comedy act at the pleasance, three young lads each with a 15 minute comedy stint ..we enjoyed it, although quite raw im sure they will turn out top comedians ..6/10

Tom Stade at the pleasance ...Canadian stand up ...different class, brilliant from start to finish ...

Braved the queue for tickets for 30 mins on saturday before giving up. Will try again tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    John Peel's Shed

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Braved the queue for tickets for 30 mins on saturday before giving up. Will try again tomorrow.
    Do it online?

Singing I'm no a Billy, he's a tim, was excellent if a little sad that all of the stuff in it was true

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Do it online?
    I'm too mean to pay the 90p per show booking fee :-)

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I went to see(or should I say, I was dragged along to see) Craig Hill. He was actually really funny but it went a bit flat after he kept forgetting his lines, that's the price you pay for seeing a preview show though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I've seen:

Asher Treleaven at the Pleasance as I got some free tickets from a flyerer. It turned out to be a very funny and intelligent show. 7/10.

Benny Boot, also at the Pleasance as he was the half price offer for the day. It was hit and miss, varied from the poor to the hilarious. Probably about 5.8/10.

Henning Wehn at the Caves. Really funny but once you've seen him, you've seen him a thousand times. Worth seeing if you've not come across him before. 7/10.

Peacock and Gamble's Emergency Broadcast at the Pleasance Dome (Potterrow) - absolutely brilliant. I'd advise you to go. 7/10.

Milton Jones at Assembly Rooms. If you like your shows clever, funny and punny, this is as good as you can get. 9/10.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Pete Firman has been the best I've seen so far

Joel Dommett, James Acaster Elis James, Tom Rosenthal and Tom Price are also really good.

Sara Pascoe was good.

Colin Hault and Round the world in 80 quid were...different and if you have the taste for it you'll think they're great otherwise you might not
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    Going to see nathan caton tonight, not sure where as the mrs and her pal sorted out tickets and im getting dragged along

Going to see Edinburgh Bloody Edinburgh in the Wee Windaes tomorrow.

Rich Hall and Jerry Sadowitz next week then i'm escaping the madness of Edinburgh for 5 days to go to the races in York.

On Saturday I went to see Nick Helm at the Pleasance who was good, then went to the Caves to see 3 comedians do their set in 15/20 minute segments which was poor overall to be honest and finally went to see Jerry Sadowitz at the Assembly hall and I thought he was decent but no more than that. Hoping to go see Andrew Maxwell with my wife and maybe one or two more shows before the fringe is over.

I was at the Radio Forth on the Fringe shows the last couple of nights, here’s what I saw.

4 Poofs And A Piano
    A bit tired I thought but I can see why folk like them. They fall into the quite common category – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. 6/10

Andrew Maxwell
    Too many c words and his material was good enough that it was unnecessary. Other than that really good and I would go and pay good money to see him – recommended. 9/10

Axis Of Awesome
    I decided when they started I didn’t like them but at the end of the stint yes I did like them, no awesome but no bad – yes I’d pay to see them but only on a 2-4-1 offer. 7/10

Briefs
    TBH this is less my scene than anything I can imagine. Someone out there might buy a ticket though – DON’T you'll never forgive yourself and I’ll say I told you so. Fronted by a 7’ transexual in a spandex jumpsuit. These were the absolute pits. The 7’ transexual in a spandex jumpsuit nervously explained how difficult it was for them to come over from Oz, their first trip overseas … shame they went to so much trouble.

As I sat through this crap I wished the UK Border Force had wider powers. 0/10

PS I generally like Australians too.

Carrie Mac
    Nervous wee thing, mistook a general fringe audience for one that she might encounter at a music festival, or maybe who had all turned up to see her! I can see why folk like her. Good luck to her and I hope her hangover, she let us know she was away out to get drunk, wasn’t too bad. 6/10

Christine And Neil Hamilton
    I don’t like them at all. Having said that after last nights performance I would have been on my way to their show this lunchtime if I hadn't been working. 6/10

Craig Hill
    What can you say about this accomplished performer? I was just glad I wasn’t sitting down the front for as sure as it rains during the Festival he would have fallen for me! Well worth the full price of a ticket. 9/10

Flawless
    The dance crowd that won, or lost, Britain Hasn’t Got Talent a couple of years ago. Glad I saw them last year at the same event, it was the quite common category last year – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. I would have gone for a pee this year if I’d needed, if only I had needed. 3/10

Fork (sp)
    Finland is famous for Mixu and various other things. While the country’s recognition factor is unlikely to be increased by Fork they were a fine wee (almost) ‘acapella’ quartet – a decent 2-4-1 offer at tea time. 6/10

Free Run
    You know these folk that run all over buildings and stuff. Well these guys do that for fun and converted it into a show. It’s the quite common category – yes I was happy to see them but glad I didn’t spend money going to watch a whole show with them. I’ll wait for the channel 5 documentary or YouTube clips. 5/10

Frisky and Mannish
    A posh duet that rip the pish out of pop tunes. Good entertainment for 15-20 minutes, I might even last 35 minutes before it became irritating. The thought of longer has my ears panicking. 6/10

Idiots of Ants
    4 guys doing comedy routines. Recommended if the sample we got was as good as the rest. Well worth the full price of a ticket. 8/10

Josie Long
    A not very funny comedienne and I think most folk agreed with me. One or two laughs from one or two folk. 1 + 2 = 3/10

Mark Dolan
    I hope I have the right guy for this description – about 6’4” went to university in Edinburgh (so he’s one of us, its like being back home from somewhere down south and you ought to be grateful I’m here). His material was ***** and his delivery was *****. It included such gems as 30% of women fake orgasms – I think that was supposed to be a funny bit. 2/10
    PS. Mark, if you read this, 100% of men don’t care! That would have got you your biggest laugh of the night

Michael Winslow
    A polished and accomplished performer who entertains and almost immediately has a rapport with the audience. I don’t like all that vox pop, sound like a jet plane stuff but I think I could easily sit through a whole show with him. 7/10

Patrick Monaghan
    Fantastic. Very, very funny. Well worth the full price of a ticket. 9/10

Paul Daniels mostly without Debbie McGee
    I didn’t think I’d like this – an awful lot. At the end I was sold, not a ticket to see his show, but you know if I was looking for a show to see this one might just sneak on to my list now. 7/10

Ruby Wax
    You might as well shut the show now Ruby, there ain't anyone with any sense whatsoever will sit through two women discussing their depression – I don’t care how famous you think you are, or once again, how grateful we are you came to Edinburgh. -10/10 (that’s minus 10)

Terry Alderton
    Don’t think I’d heard of this guy before but I’m sure I will in future. Well worth the dosh. 10/10

The Peirces
    The girls (2 thereof) were hot but the music not really for me – think what you'd expect from Birmingham, Alabama and if you don’t know what that is its probably not for you either – you need an acquired ear. 4/10 (not my cup to tea)

Zoe Lyons
    Good to see a good female comedienne with good material. Yes I’d go a spend money to get tickets for her show. 7/10

There was a wee man doing silhouettes, cant remember his name and into the quite common category he goes. 4/10

Soweto harmony singing group. I’m sure there's better still in Soweto; I hope there's better still in Soweto. 3/10

Young guy from Edinburgh at the end on Saturday singing with the guitar cant remember his name but he was good enough for a 6/10.

These was also some voxbox guy who did something at the Beijing Olympics or something, very good at what he did but didn’t, IMO, have that x factor with the audience that the better performers do. He clearly thought respect was a foregone conclusion and it would be wrong of us not to throw ourselves at his larynx. If you're really into this stuff high marks, me 4/10.

With many thanks to Radio Forth, overall a great show 9/10
    Space to let

I seen Neil Delamere 2 years ago and he was absolutely superb. He skipped last years festival but is back this year and would highly recommend

http://www.fringereview.co.uk/fringeReview/4102.html

Just back from seeing The Overcoat, at the Pleasance@Potterow. Really excellent scottish production of the Gogol play. Featuring great performances, achingly funny 70s and 80s retro references and a guest appearance by a banker who had to be modelled on Vladimir Romanov.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Im off to see Dave Gorman and then Rich Hall tonight. Should be a good night.

Utterly marvelous performance by Julian Sands doing a Pinter retrospective at the Pleasance and directed by John Malkovich. Best thing anyone will ever see at the Festival, bar the magnificent display by the CCS and Sunderland mobs on Saturday. As Joyce McMillan in the Scotsman said: "it's very unusual these days to see such an arresting display."

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    I went to see(or should I say, I was dragged along to see) Craig Hill. He was actually really funny but it went a bit flat after he kept forgetting his lines, that's the price you pay for seeing a preview show though.
    Did you see my wife on stage?

Mitch Benn- excellent, very funny 8/10

Jus like that - not for me, maybe suit folk who'd grown up with tommy cooper 5/10

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Neil Delamere @ Pleasance Courtyard, very unexpected titty laughing - much recommended, £11.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Arthur Smiths Chat Show Piss Up.

Love the guy, but it was a bit disappointing. Lots of alcohol anecdotes and a few grumpy old men lines. Fish was highly amusing though, id hoped to talk Hibs with him at the bar but unfortunately he was indisposed with Art Malik's beautiful daughter.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    should have seen neil delamere on monday but didnt make it but i will be going. seen Michael Winslow last night and it was great he done a sketch with star wars and to say i was blown away is an understatement

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Saw Dave Gorman last night and he was brilliant. Would thoroughly reccomend his show.

Rich Hall on the other hand. Pretty crap.

Saw Milton Jones at the Queen's Hall recently. 10/10

There's no doubt that he's not some people's cup of tea but the intelligence, humour and wordplay is right up my street (and other cliches you can think of).

The temptation to quote all his lines is overwhelming, but in case it's the same show I'll just stick with:

"Wolfgang Mozart, said his friend.....shortly before they were eaten by a gang of wolves."

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I was blown away is an understatement
    which show did this happen? I want to go

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    Did you see my wife on stage?
    Possibly, it was thursday night I was there

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Saw Milton Jones at the Queen's Hall recently. 10/10

There's no doubt that he's not some people's cup of tea but the intelligence, humour and wordplay is right up my street (and other cliches you can think of).

The temptation to quote all his lines is overwhelming, but in case it's the same show I'll just stick with:

"Wolfgang Mozart, said his friend.....shortly before they were eaten by a gang of wolves."
    Shampoo, Shamrocks, Champagne was my favourite joke. Just phenomenal all the way through though.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Jason Byrne @ EICC, phenomanal....loved it!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Milton Jones was on at Comedy in the Dark last night. Thought he was terrible, don't understand how people think his material is clever at all. The type of punchlines you get in a Penguin bar.

Sammy J was pretty good though, looking forward to Adam Buxton and Dave Gorman next week.