hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I think drawing Hearts was good for Spurs, as we don't have to schlep to some far-flung corner of Europe.

While not underestimating Hearts, I think Spurs should get comfortably through to the Europa League Group Stage as we're playing the second leg at White Hart Lane, which has become a fortress for us in Europe with just four defeats there in 70 matches played so far.

Spurs have met Scottish opposition in Europe twice before and won both ties:

Rangers 8-4 in the 1962-63 Cup Winners' Cup and Aberdeen 5-2 in the 1973-74 UEFA Cup.

In fact, Tottenham Hotspur were the first British club to win a major European trophy and we've won as many major European competitions (3) as all the Scottish teams combined.

Tottenham Hotspur in Europe 1961-62 to 2011-12

2. Log in to remove the advert

The Spurs/Rangers tie was brilliant. Huge crowds at both legs and great players on show. Floodlit games. Jumpers for goalposts. Magic.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Whats the chances of getting a ticket for the Spurs end at Tynie???

Obsessed with the Hibees
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah definitely, Maribor had about 10000 fans while Paksi had about 1000, the difference in support shows the difference in size of club
    No idea how good/bad Maribor were/are but Paksi were poor. A team would exect most SPL sides to beat at home.If you relate it to fans they also had 28 supporters at the game in the Roseburn at the start of the match. This did swell to approx 50 by the second half though.

Obsessed with the Hibees
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Whats the chances of getting a ticket for the Spurs end at Tynie???
    Vary slim they are getting 1200 tickets and currenty only open to heir platinum and god memebrs.

They also have silver, bronze and lily whites!!! as next stages and website says highly unlikely there will be a public sale.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    Vary slim they are getting 1200 tickets and currenty only open to heir platinum and god members.

They also have silver, bronze and lily whites!!! as next stages and website says highly unlikely there will be a public sale.
    Heaven's above ..whatever next !!

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    No idea if he's having a laugh, but I'd much rather have 'beatable' opposition than a glamour tie in any round of a European competition. You know, so that you might get to play in the next round.
    What, like Hibs?
    At least they're in it in the first place, bottom 6 simply isn't good enough, in saying that we don't have budgets anywhere near theirs so unlikely we'll finish above them in the forseeable

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    What, like Hibs?
    At least they're in it in the first place, bottom 6 simply isn't good enough, in saying that we don't have budgets anywhere near theirs so unlikely we'll finish above them in the forseeable

My point was about hoping for a 'big' team in the draw or a team that you have a good chance of beating. Don't see the connection to what you're on about.

Good news the return leg is just before the Derby. Hope Hearts still have some dreams of getting a result and field a strong team that gets mauled.

GGTTH

Rioting in Tottenham just after Hearts draw them, locals must be annoyed about the 400,000 jumbos heading their way.

First Team Breakthrough itchy07's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: itchy07
    It looked like world war 3 down there last night, the yams can go and win that one as well!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    Vary slim they are getting 1200 tickets and currenty only open to heir platinum and god memebrs.

I thought they were entitled to 10% of the ground?? Are you saying the big teams ground only holds 12,000 surely not.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I thought they were entitled to 10% of the ground?? Are you saying the big teams ground only holds 12,000 surely not.
    It was a 12,000 sell-out crowd on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    It was a 12,000 sell-out crowd on Thursday night.
    I'm sure for UEFA games they'll have to close off all sections of the stadium that have been classified as "a complete HAZMAT health hazard" by the Department of Health, which would make 12,000 about the capacity of that dump.

i got a call from one of my jambo mates yesterday offering me a ticket for the hearts end for the tynecastle leg...he was online early and got a few spare tickets just because he could....i have thought long and hard about accepting the ticket and when i saw on kickback that there are a lot jambos that look like they are going to miss out on this sellout match it made me think i should give it up to allow a real fan the opportunity to see their team in europe...but then i thought...if i can ruin just one jambo's night then i owe it to myself to accept my mates offer....so i have....i will of course be wearing a hibs jersey under my spurs jersey under my coat...i look forward to supping from the devils cup and i will post up a full report on my experiences behind enemy lines.

Kevin Bond on Spurs v Hearts...

Kevin Bond insists we’re under no illusions as to the difficulty of our Europa League play-off against Hearts.

We were drawn against the team that finished third in the Scottish Premier League last season in the play-off over two legs on Thursday, August 18, when we travel to Edinburgh and back at the Lane a week later on August 25.

Hearts, who picked up a draw at champions Rangers in their SPL opener, cruised into the play-off thanks to a 5-1 aggregate win over Hungarian runners-up Paksi on Thursday.

“It will be a tough tie,” said Kevin. “This will be a proper game over two legs and in no way, shape or form will we underestimate the challenge.”

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by THFC6061 View Post
    Kevin Bond on Spurs v Hearts...

Kevin Bond insists we’re under no illusions as to the difficulty of our Europa League play-off against Hearts.

We were drawn against the team that finished third in the Scottish Premier League last season in the play-off over two legs on Thursday, August 18, when we travel to Edinburgh and back at the Lane a week later on August 25.

Hearts, who picked up a draw at champions Rangers in their SPL opener, cruised into the play-off thanks to a 5-1 aggregate win over Hungarian runners-up Paksi on Thursday.

“It will be a tough tie,” said Kevin. “This will be a proper game over two legs and in no way, shape or form will we underestimate the challenge.”
    Have I missed something???
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I would imagine Spurs will play a less than full strength team in the first leg and then see what they think they will need in the return. Dont think Spurs will fancy it too much in the first leg as personally think they they have a few primadonnas in their squad and can be got at away from home. Could see Hearts getting a result in first leg but losing narrowly overall. 1-0 Hearts, 3-1 Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I would imagine Spurs will play a less than full strength team in the first leg and then see what they think they will need in the return. Dont think Spurs will fancy it too much in the first leg as personally think they they have a few primadonnas in their squad and can be got at away from home. Could see Hearts getting a result in first leg but losing narrowly overall. 1-0 Hearts, 3-1 Spurs.

Eh?...you been having a liquid lunch mate?

4/5-0 agg score for Spurs

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Eh?...you been having a liquid lunch mate?

4/5-0 agg score for Spurs
    Unfortunately no.

Hearts will give Spurs a game in the first leg no doubt in my mind. Some of the Spurs overrated makeweights wont fancy playing at Tynecastle that is for sure.

Blog Entries
    Not sure the Met will fancy a Scotland v England clash in Tottenham so soon after all the chaos in that area...

all the cup games cancelled in London this evening as well as England match at wembley tomorrow

not such a glamorous tie now. The area has been turned into a third world war site, the locals are running amok causing fear and horror to decent folk. I wonder what London's like?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    i got a call from one of my jambo mates yesterday offering me a ticket for the hearts end for the tynecastle leg...he was online early and got a few spare tickets just because he could....i have thought long and hard about accepting the ticket and when i saw on kickback that there are a lot jambos that look like they are going to miss out on this sellout match it made me think i should give it up to allow a real fan the opportunity to see their team in europe...but then i thought...if i can ruin just one jambo's night then i owe it to myself to accept my mates offer....so i have....i will of course be wearing a hibs jersey under my spurs jersey under my coat...i look forward to supping from the devils cup and i will post up a full report on my experiences behind enemy lines.
    In a week when businesses and perhaps entire communities are being destroyed by wanton selfishness and greed, it's a relief to know that some peeps' behaviour is still governed by a strong sense of moral duty.