hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: CV help

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

CV help

Firstly apologies as i know there's been a few cv questions on here before but i can't be ersed looking for them so thought i'd start a new one.....

Just doing my CV and i've basically had to start from scratch due to changing laptops since i last did it, my problem is i've changed jobs more than i'd have liked over the last four or five years, i'm now applying for an internal vacancy in my work and when doing my cv i'm not really sure how far back i should go and if i should include all my previous jobs or if i should only go back say four or five employers?

I'm trying to keep it to two pages but if i include all my previous jobs that'd be impossible, another problem i've got is that one of my previous jobs which is probably the most relevant for the job i'm applying for is going back quite a few years and employers ago, not sure if that'd be discounted anyway seeing as i left there about 6 years ago as i think i'm right in saying most employers only look at about the last 3 jobs?

Hope that all makes sense and as ever any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly apologies as i know there's been a few cv questions on here before but i can't be ersed looking for them so thought i'd start a new one.....

Just doing my CV and i've basically had to start from scratch due to changing laptops since i last did it, my problem is i've changed jobs more than i'd have liked over the last four or five years, i'm now applying for an internal vacancy in my work and when doing my cv i'm not really sure how far back i should go and if i should include all my previous jobs or if i should only go back say four or five employers?

I'm trying to keep it to two pages but if i include all my previous jobs that'd be impossible, another problem i've got is that one of my previous jobs which is probably the most relevant for the job i'm applying for is going back quite a few years and employers ago, not sure if that'd be discounted anyway seeing as i left there about 6 years ago as i think i'm right in saying most employers only look at about the last 3 jobs?

Hope that all makes sense and as ever any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

cheers
    If your job changes are from within the same business, group them under the same employer but with sub headings, maybe italicised - it makes them look like less joibs and can be discussed as progression.

If its different employers, make sure that the key jobs - the ones you want to have noticed - have explanations, preferably summarised succinctly (and quantified in terms of acheivement if thats relevant). The ones you dont care about so much leave as an employer and a job-title. If youve had jobs that have been 2 or 3 weeks then I'd tend to leave them out

As you are 29, I think most employers will look at your career since you left school/college/Uni, certainly since youve turned 20. If you leave stuff out and that leaves big time gaps, it can look either deliberately deceitful (were you in jail? unemployed? travelling?).

Above everything, make it look high quality, ensure there are no spelling mistakes or stupid claims that cant be justified, be succinct and think what it will look like across someones desk who is lookng ta maybe 50 of these. In the past when Ive gone through CV's, the first chop tended to be the ones which gave off an air of not caring - coffee stained CV's, people sending in three front pages stapled together, no addresses, hand written on spiral bound reporters notebooks even! All binned. If they dont look as if they care wghen applying, how are they going to care if they got the job.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    If your job changes are from within the same business, group them under the same employer but with sub headings, maybe italicised - it makes them look like less joibs and can be discussed as progression.

If its different employers, make sure that the key jobs - the ones you want to have noticed - have explanations, preferably summarised succinctly (and quantified in terms of acheivement if thats relevant). The ones you dont care about so much leave as an employer and a job-title. If youve had jobs that have been 2 or 3 weeks then I'd tend to leave them out

As you are 29, I think most employers will look at your career since you left school/college/Uni, certainly since youve turned 20. If you leave stuff out and that leaves big time gaps, it can look either deliberately deceitful (were you in jail? unemployed? travelling?).

Above everything, make it look high quality, ensure there are no spelling mistakes or stupid claims that cant be justified, be succinct and think what it will look like across someones desk who is lookng ta maybe 50 of these. In the past when Ive gone through CV's, the first chop tended to be the ones which gave off an air of not caring - coffee stained CV's, people sending in three front pages stapled together, no addresses, hand written on spiral bound reporters notebooks even! All binned. If they dont look as if they care wghen applying, how are they going to care if they got the job.

Thanks for that, they say you cannae polish a turd but i'm trying my best

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post

Above everything, make it look high quality, ensure there are no spelling mistakes or stupid claims that cant be justified, be succinct and think what it will look like across someones desk who is lookng ta maybe 50 of these. In the past when Ive gone through CV's, the first chop tended to be the ones which gave off an air of not caring - coffee stained CV's, people. sending in three front pages stapled together, no addresses, hand written on spiral bound reporters notebooks even! All binned. If they dont look as if they care wghen applying, how are they going to care if they got the job.

I think that is quite good advice. I have been really lucky with jobs never had an interview at my place and had 3 different higher paid jobs.