hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar

Buying items on Ebay

Just bought an iPod touch on ebay and im quite a novice with this so a couple of questions. If the item arrives with me and electronically it is pretty knacked but the seller hasn't made any indication that this is the case, would I be eligible for a refund?
    And also what are the procedures if the product never actually arrives with me but the seller claims they sent it?

I know that the chances of either of these happening is pretty slim but was just curious as dont want to be losing any of my dosh!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just bought an iPod touch on ebay and im quite a novice with this so a couple of questions. If the item arrives with me and electronically it is pretty knacked but the seller hasn't made any indication that this is the case, would I be eligible for a refund?
    And also what are the procedures if the product never actually arrives with me but the seller claims they sent it?

I know that the chances of either of these happening is pretty slim but was just curious as dont want to be losing any of my dosh!
    First thing to do just before buying anything from somebody on Ebay is spend 5mins looking at their feedback if they have any. If buying an item like that I would always buy from somebody with a good history on Ebay.

It may state on the sellers page advert their return policy, I luckily have never had to return anything but if there was an issue with it and they have a pretty solid history likely to be ok, the postage matter is a grey area so I eliminate that by have recorded delivery for everything I sell. If the item is sent without proof of postage I would think you may lose money as the seller might think you just are at it or vice versa, always worth buying an item that is sent recorded.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    First thing to do just before buying anything from somebody on Ebay is spend 5mins looking at their feedback if they have any. If buying an item like that I would always buy from somebody with a good history on Ebay.

It may state on the sellers page advert their return policy, I luckily have never had to return anything but if there was an issue with it and they have a pretty solid history likely to be ok, the postage matter is a grey area so I eliminate that by have recorded delivery for everything I sell. If the item is sent without proof of postage I would think you may lose money as the seller might think you just are at it or vice versa, always worth buying an item that is sent recorded.
    Good advice about feedback.

It defaults as "No refunds" in the postage details but if the item is faulty then you are still entitled to a refund (see statutory rights section on ebay), this will be loads of hassle though if someone specifically states no refunds in their listing.

If it is sent without proof of postage then ebay/paypal will favour the buyer. I have bought and sold things on ebay and have had to give a couple of refunds because an item was "lost", the first time I just gave a refund because it was less hassle but the second time it wasn't sent recorded but despite having a proof of postage receipt from the post office they still gave the buyer a full refund - I have a strong feeling they were at it and I found it ridiculous that they never decided in favour of me when I had proof that I posted it.

So you should be alright if the item gets lost in the post without proof of postage. If I was buying/selling something of high value I'd insist on recorded delivery

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Good advice about feedback.

It defaults as "No refunds" in the postage details but if the item is faulty then you are still entitled to a refund (see statutory rights section on ebay), this will be loads of hassle though if someone specifically states no refunds in their listing.

If it is sent without proof of postage then ebay/paypal will favour the buyer. I have bought and sold things on ebay and have had to give a couple of refunds because an item was "lost", the first time I just gave a refund because it was less hassle but the second time it wasn't sent recorded but despite having a proof of postage receipt from the post office they still gave the buyer a full refund - I have a strong feeling they were at it and I found it ridiculous that they never decided in favour of me when I had proof that I posted it.

So you should be alright if the item gets lost in the post without proof of postage. If I was buying/selling something of high value I'd insist on recorded delivery
    Cheers for the help! Checked the guys feedback and hes got pretty good reviews so should be fine there. I've messages him to get recorded delivery just to ensure theres no problems there